Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls vs Dark Souls II - which is your favorite?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) 5 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls vs Dark Souls II - which is your favorite? (107 votes)

Demon's Souls 49%
Dark Souls 31%
Dark Souls II 20%

Souls, the greatest and most consistent RPG franchise of all time, but which entry is the super star? The Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls, so to speak.

I still say Demon's Souls is the best. In terms of atmosphere, in terms of feeling alone, doomed, helpless, and hopeless, Demon's Souls nailed this stuff far better than the Dark Souls entries. It will also always have the benefit of being the very first game of it's kind. Playing through Demon's Souls for the first time was truly an experience unlike any other.

#1 Posted by foxhound_fox (87396 posts) -

Dark Souls II > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls

This is objective fact.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (38822 posts) -

I only played Dark Souls. I can download Demons Souls this instant FOR FREE.

But I don't know.

#3 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Dark Souls II > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls

This is objective fact.

pfft, not really but ok.

#4 Posted by silversix_ (13931 posts) -

Have no played nor seen anything Dark Souls 2 related (other than reviews) so can't talk about dks2 but between demon's and dark souls i liked demon's better, not by much tho.

#5 Posted by Snugenz (11749 posts) -

I only have about 2hrs of playtime with DS2 but so far Demon's Souls is still my fave.

#6 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25556 posts) -

Everything you said about Demon's is true; it is the most atmospheric and the downright nastier & more punishing game. But Dark has the interconnected world design going for it. I dunno. I haven't played Dark II yet.

Thanks for reading my non-answer.

#7 Edited by Newhopes (4472 posts) -

Darks souls 2 is a massive disappointment.

Demon's souls=9/10

Dark souls=9.5/10

Dark souls 2=6/10

#8 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29086 posts) -

Demon's Souls edges out Dark Souls for me although they're both amazing games. I'd say from what I've seen so far of it Dark Souls II is a bit below the first two but is still a great game.

#9 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Everything you said about Demon's is true; it is the most atmospheric and the downright nastier & more punishing game. But Dark has the interconnected world design going for it. I dunno. I haven't played Dark II yet.

Thanks for posting it! Btw why aint you playin DkS2 yet son!? You gotta git on that shit it's awesome. Best way I can describe it is it's a nice blend of DeS and DkS. It's kind of like a love letter to the fans, made a tad bit more accessible for new comers but not in a way that compromises what makes the series great. From Soft hit a perfect balance.

#10 Posted by cainetao11 (16645 posts) -

I voted dark souls but demons is right there with it imo. Haven't played dark 2 yet

#11 Edited by lamprey263 (22873 posts) -

I got a Greatest Hits version of Demon's Souls years back but still haven't played it. What's the status on its servers?

#12 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3001 posts) -

Dark Souls 1 but I just started 2. So I'll see in the next few months.

#13 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

Demon's Souls felt the most special since it was the first, but I really love the interconnected worlds of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. It's almost impossible to pick a favorite, but I have to give the ever so slight edge to Dark Souls 2.

#14 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25556 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

Thanks for posting it! Btw why aint you playin DkS2 yet son!? You gotta git on that shit it's awesome. Best way I can describe it is it's a nice blend of DeS and DkS. It's kind of like a love letter to the fans, made a tad bit more accessible for new comers but not in a way that compromises what makes the series great. From Soft hit a perfect balance.

Oh, I will. It's my only guaranteed game purchase this year. I'll pick it up once I'm completely done with Dragon's Dogma: DA.

#15 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3677 posts) -

demon souls

1. sony exclusive

2. see above

#16 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

I got a Greatest Hits version of Demon's Souls years back but still haven't played it. What's the status on its servers?

I actually started a new playthrough yesterday. People still leave messages and you can still see apparitions running around. Summoned two different people but they both died before reaching the boss. Haven't been invaded yet and I'm about halfway through the game. The first time I played the game was about 90% offline which made it even better imo. Feels more atmospheric but you'll stumble around a bit in some levels.

#17 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (312 posts) -

I still haven't finished Dark Souls 2 but so far it's great. All 3 have their pros and cons and do something better than the others but I have to give it to DkS2 so far. I look forward to a Souls game on PS4.

#18 Posted by Ballroompirate (22296 posts) -

The only correct answer is Dark Souls 2

#19 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Demons Souls...but the more I play ds2, it may trump it. Ds2 brought back some des elements, which is cool...except for true stealth builds, which will keep des on top

#20 Edited by Masterx1220 (2421 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

Demon's souls=9/10

Dark souls=9.5/10

Dark souls 2=6/10

may i ask why?

#21 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24646 posts) -

I'll say Dark Souls because I have so many memories of that game.

Dark Souls 2 is just making me mad.

#22 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

demon souls

1. sony exclusive

2. see above

Ugh god. I really hope people are voting for DeS based on it's actual strengths and not something incredibly superficial like it's exclusivity to a PS platform. That's doing a disservice to the game. But this is System Wars I guess...

#23 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3677 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

demon souls

1. sony exclusive

2. see above

Ugh god. I really hope people are voting for DeS based on it's actual strengths and not something incredibly superficial like it's exclusivity to a PS platform. But this is System Wars I guess...

well its the truth. everything is made better if its sony exclusive

i never voted. i havnt played either games

#24 Posted by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

I'm about halfway through Dark Souls 2 and I love it, but Demon's Souls is still my favorite.

#25 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

I'm about halfway through Dark Souls 2 and I love it, but Demon's Souls is still my favorite.

You still have me on SlaySN? We gotta go on some co-op once I get my copy!.

#26 Posted by lamprey263 (22873 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

I actually started a new playthrough yesterday. People still leave messages and you can still see apparitions running around. Summoned two different people but they both died before reaching the boss. Haven't been invaded yet and I'm about halfway through the game. The first time I played the game was about 90% offline which made it even better imo. Feels more atmospheric but you'll stumble around a bit in some levels.

That's good to hear, I'd much rather tackle my backlog than get anything new at the moment.

#27 Posted by Vatusus (4366 posts) -

Havent played DS2 yet but between Demon's and Dark, Dark was my favorite by a very slight margin.

#28 Posted by j_assassin (884 posts) -

Demons souls have better atmosphere and its the first one so its kinda special

#29 Edited by Couth_ (9977 posts) -

Dark Souls - 10/10
Demon's Souls - 9.9/10
Dark Souls 2 - 9.9/10

the PC version of DS2 could hit 10/10 status

#30 Posted by Newhopes (4472 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

Demon's souls=9/10

Dark souls=9.5/10

Dark souls 2=6/10

may i ask why?

Combat feels like it kills you cheaply alot of the time plus game doesn't feel as well designed.

#31 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

Demon's Souls is the only one that doesn't frustrate me with my deaths. They always felt fair and deserved and a lot of the time in Dark Souls and Dark Souls II I get deaths that feel cheap or unfair. As a result I never finished Dark Souls and probably won't finish Dark Souls II, whereas I finished Demon's Souls at least 3 times, though I forget exactly how many now.

#33 Posted by Phreek300 (172 posts) -

Demons Souls wins it for me. Well balanced gameplay, interesting characters, great lore, amazing boss fights, and the feeling right before fighting King Allant was unbelieveable! DS 2 is my least favorite so far. Less interesting bosses, the NPC' s are just ok, cheap deaths because I have to fight 5 enemies at once...etc.... It just feels like its out of balance a bit. Its still a good game though I will finish it.

#34 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Such an epic moment and it made me feel like such an evil piece of shit. One of many great moments in Demon's Souls the GOAT. Dark Souls never had anything so emotionally impactful like this nor does DkS2 thus far.

#35 Edited by speedfog (2998 posts) -

Only played Demon Souls. I loved it a couple hours and then I totaly hated it.

But some day I will try Dark Souls.

#36 Posted by freedomfreak (38822 posts) -

Such an epic moment and it made me feel like such an evil piece of shit. One of many great moments in Demon's Souls the GOAT. Dark Souls never had anything so emotionally impactful like this nor does DkS2 thus far.

What ABOUT SIF, you SLAT?

#37 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@Master_ShakeXXX said:

What ABOUT SIF, you SLAT?

Sif wasn't exactly helpless. Mother fucker was a straight up beast with a giant sword in his mouth. He didn't give no fucks. In the Astrea fight in DeS you basically got these people trying to shelter themselves away from all the horror and live peaceful lives until you come along, kick the fuckin doors down and murder and pillage everybody as they beg you to stop. Not really comparable, lol.

#38 Posted by freedomfreak (38822 posts) -

Sif wasn't exactly helpless. Mother fucker was a straight up beast with a giant sword in his mouth. He didn't give no fucks. In the Astrea fight in DeS you basically got these people trying to shelter themselves away from all the horror and live peaceful lives until you come along, kick the fuckin doors down and murder and pillage everybody as they beg you to stop. Not really comparable, lol.

ONE was a WOLFDOG AND one was SLUT

Now you tell me SIF is not comaprablesllslslslslslslslslslslssllslslslslsl GIANT PENBIS

#39 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@Master_ShakeXXX said:

ONE was a WOLFDOG AND one was SLUT

Now you tell me SIF is not comaprablesllslslslslslslslslslslssllslslslslsl GIANT PENBIS

Still smoking that fantastic crack I see.

#40 Posted by freedomfreak (38822 posts) -

Still smoking that fantastic crack I see.

All you ned to know is that hes sheens have been owned

:kamiya:

:mask:

#41 Edited by sherman-tank1 (8102 posts) -

Probably Demons' Souls. Battling the Tower Knight for the first time was terrifying and Valley of Defilement had the one of the best atmospheres I ever played.

#42 Posted by getyeryayasout (7082 posts) -

Demon's Souls, because it popped my cherry. You always love your first.

#43 Posted by _Matt_ (8847 posts) -

Probably Demons' Souls. Battling the Tower Knight for the first time was terrifying and Valley of Defilement had the one of the best atmospheres I ever played.

The Tower Knight shall forever be in my mind one of the most iconic bosses from any of the 3 games.

Though with that said, I think both Dark Souls games are better in my eyes than Demon's Souls.

#44 Posted by blamix99 (1627 posts) -

im not finish with Dark Souls 2 yet, so i won't include Dark Souls 2.

for me it's Demon Souls>>Dark Souls

im sure Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls, but i don't know if its better than Demon Souls yet

#45 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 is the best by far imo, probably will be the consensus. Dark Souls 2 might not be quite as atmospheric as Demons Souls but the gameplay is the best in any game I've ever played. The character progression and leveling is more thought out than in any game I've ever played and the combat is insanely good, best game in a long long time, game of the generation.

The other games were good but this one just really nails it, it's never repetitive, new elements and interesting things presented continuously. Invisible ghosts in a misty forest, much better item usage, way more hidden stuff, better rolling (where only some people can roll out of sword swings), more useful magic in pvp... I could write about a hundred more things like that.

#46 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

From what I saw of Demon Souls from a friend playing it, it's the inferior to Dark Souls. They seemed to throw some cheap stuff the player's way more so than in Dark souls, which was more consistently challenging without being cheap (although of course there are exceptions). I really like Dark souls though and I'm looking forward to playing 2. Although I've watched a friend play that and it looks a lot tougher than the first by a pretty wide margin.

#47 Posted by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

You still have me on SlaySN? We gotta go on some co-op once I get my copy!.

Definitely

I'm pretty sure I have you. What's your name?

#48 Edited by Joedgabe (5094 posts) -

Just finishied DS2. I have to say DS2 over all game is a lot better than Demon and Dark Souls so..

Dark Souls 2 >> Dark Souls >> Demon Souls

The one thing Dark Souls has better than the other 2 though is the lore. The lore and the history surrounding the Dark Souls world is pretty great, even better when you realize your character was the one making history in that strange land only to conquer it after :) Plus that Gwyn fight in the end with the music just set things right.

#49 Posted by psn8214 (14924 posts) -

Dark Souls > Demons Souls from the two I've played. I'm unfortunately stuck waiting for the PC release on Apr. 15th to play Dark Souls II. Wish they would have come out with a PS4 version; I feel like they wouldn't have kept that crowd waiting.

#50 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26262 posts) -

Demons souls beats dark souls as far as im concerned.