Deep Down....sexist? that next gen goodness smh

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@General_X said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@General_X said:

The characters are the gender they are because that is what the creators intended, it's not up to other people to decide what characters the creators should make. As a male I would be more inclined to write/create a male character for a game because I'm obviously more experienced with the male perspective. I don't think it's right for other people to force their will on content creators. It would even probably be a bit of a disservice for males to be forced to create female characters.

What's needed is more females in the creative portion of the games industry. I think people complaining about games already in production are barking up the entirely wrong tree.

its wrong for users to force their wants on the creators but alright for them to force their content/vision on us O_o? plus you complain about having to play as a female character but don't think female gamers should or would feel the same way with this situation of being forced to play a male character O_o? i think they would. especially when theirs a create ur character portion to the game.

also their are plenty of female devs from what i've seen in photos of dev teams over the years.

Yes it is wrong, the devs should be able to make the game they want, it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to purchase/participate in the game world. They aren't forcing their content on you, if you don't like it you simply ignore it.

I never complained about playing as female characters (in fact I never mentioned my playing preferences), I said if I was a content creator I would be more comfortable creating male characters/stories because I'm male.

I will concede that it's silly there's no female option in this particular game, but that's the dev's right to make the decision and it will probably hurt them financially. My original statement was meant more for the industry as a whole.

oh ok, thats a little more clearer. before it all seemed to contradict each other.

@KungfuKitten said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Depends on the vibe. TF2 is males only? And it fits the game. The whole game breaths men amongst men. Not manly men, but boy men. Girls playing TF2 don't mind playing a boy in that game.

Maybe they thought the tone was too serious and dark or something for a female lead. If you hurt a woman in a game it is different than hurting a man, depending on art style and all that. You could design a suitable female lead for such a game too, if you happen to envision it. Maybe they just didn't.

I like playing females in videogames. Not because of the digital curves but because of what it's like.

Not saying that the game shouldn't have a female lead but I can live with it if that is how they wanted it.

can't really go for this one...in the new Tomb Raider she absolutely got her ass kicked in it. not to mention killed in some gruesome ways. also this is a free to play build ur character from scratch game...it and TF2 arent similar in that aspect.

Hmm then let's lightly disagree. As far as I know her being a woman getting hurt caused some controversy on gaming websites. If it was a man like Drake from Uncharted I wouldn't expect people to really care at all. A near rape scene (which was rather exaggerated by the media imo) would have been more of a joke like in Pulp Fiction than something we'd discuss as a point where games are pushing things too far.

You probably don't think it would make a difference, and that's good in a way. That's how it should be, I guess?

BTW I really wouldn't mind being able to play a woman in this f2p game and I would like a gender option to be the norm, but it's ok for me if there are stylistic exceptions.

yea, it would be a logical standard to go with in create a character games. its just weird that they decided to cut a whole demographic of gamer out of the equation...business wise. i mean, if ur reading a book and the character is a male u just have to deal with that. but a game created for the masses of gamers with a create a character option in it in 2014 and no female character option being available kind of sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

but who knows...maybe after the games comes out we'll see why they couldnt, even though i doubt it. unless the guy was a serial rapist before becoming a knight then i don't see why a woman option couldnt be edited in lol.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@bezza2011:

@xboxdone74 said:

more games should be like this. I applaud Capcom.not every game needs to have the option to play as a female. the domination continues

my point is its a bad business move to do for a F2P game, you don't think so? like i said, if its a retail game, then yes, ur paying to play their vision of the game, character and all. but a free to play game where the catch is suppose to be you make ur own character that speaks for you. a character that you're suppose to invest in and spend a lot of time with...its odd, or a bad decision, to cut females out of that loop and only give them an option to play as a man. seems like a bad business move.

yes, not every game needs to be gender equal...but free to play games should when u expect people, including women gamers, to buy into the game. i just think it'll hurt the title more than help it...n its going to need help with the micro-transaction riddled picture they're painting of the game.

What a load of rubbish, when did it all of a sudden become the norm that every game no matter what free to play or retail should they include this :S it's there game, just play it, seriously it's a non issue which some little bright eyed person decided to kick up a fuss about it.

No one should kick up a fuss if a developer doesn't add a female character to it, seriously, there only a few games from the past few years where this has been even implemented

I think people need to learn the actual meaning of Sexist. Making a game which doesn't include a female lead character is not sexist it's a design choice from the artist who is the developer, sexist means that somthing or someone is premoting that a different sex is better, when this game is just being a GAME.

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

This does not mean Oooooo a developer has decided to put the main character as a male, so there for they are sexist, no because no one has actually discriminated anyone

please people who believe this is all sexist to story learning terms and understand stuff before posting

i don't believe i said it was the norm. i said it would be logical for a free to play game since all people will have access to it. its not a logical move to do business wise. two different things.

also i explained the whole sexist thing later on in the thread...try reading posts and not just skimming them over. you'll have a better grip on the flow of the discussion that way instead of blurting out nonsense that was already discussed and solved a few posts up.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

lol is this all lems have to go on now? I don't remember being able to play a female in pretty much all games, it's a male dominated industry and most likely always will be. I can't see the problem other than trying to find some weak ammo to use against "cows".

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The majority of gamers are male. They are designing their product to appeal to that majority.

There is nothing wrong with that.