Deep Down....sexist? that next gen goodness smh

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

even though i should wait on talking about this game since it's been delayed(maybe so they can discuss their micro-transaction prices) but with seeing this video i felt a need to discuss.

NO female character available to play as in this game? no option at all? that's odd..there are many women gamers out there that want to play as what they are. a lot of men gamers that like to play as women to...for some reason lol. the guy in this video tries to make the excuse of it being based off a male character O_o...uh ok, but why can't it be a female character if the user wants it to be. a lil rewrite here...an edit there. i mean the gamers, they're the ones paying. if they want the character to be female they should have the option to(ps4 again taking options away from the users) but he still gave no real legitimate reason why you cannot play as a woman...except that they wanted you to be a man lol.

what do cows think? big deal...not a big deal...what?

*i wonder how many pro-Sony users will be flaming me for mentioning this while have a female in their avatar/siginature*

#2 Edited by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

Anything to complain amirite? iamrite. No big deal. I have no problem with playing games with female protags, women should respect the reverse. Works both ways.

#3 Posted by hoplayletsplay (979 posts) -

Yea, TC I agree with you because not being able to play as a male character in Tomb Raider is so sexist.

#4 Posted by Krelian-co (10652 posts) -

sexists once again ruining everything.

#5 Edited by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

Oh you mean like almost every other game, ever?...

If you're gonna use this argument against Sony/Capcom, you're gonna have to use against literally 99% of the worldwide gaming studios.

It's dumb yes, it would be super easy for them to make a couple of random female characters, but it is what it is. If people feel game X or Y is sexist for not having female or male characters, then don't buy it. Simple as that. Much like watching a film, we are playing someone's creation and neither are they forced to comply to everything we want (in a game) nor are we forced to concor with every decision they make.

#6 Edited by kinectthedots (1674 posts) -

umm weren't you one of the many lemmings saying you don't care about it because it was said to be f2p? why even worry about what characters you play as if you aren't going to play it? Sounds kind of idiotic to me but being that you are a lem that is the only kind of argument I would expect.

On topic: I don't even know enough about the story of the game to present an opinion of "if" there should be a playable female character in the game. It might be just as disjointed as saying you can't play a female character in The Witcher 3 even tho the witcher story revolves around a male worlock.

#7 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Oh you mean like almost every other game, ever?...

If you're gonna use this argument against Sony/Capcom, you're gonna have to use against literally 99% of the worldwide gaming studios.

It's dumb yes, it would be super easy for them to make a couple of random female characters, but it is what is. If people feel game X or Y is sexist for not having female or male characters, then don't buy it. Simple as that. Much like watching a film, we are playing someone's creation and neither are they forced to comply to everything we want (in a game) nor are we forced to concor with every decision they make.

If the original vision of the game had no female protags then they shouldn't have to shoehorn one in just for the sake of a few whiners.

#8 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

@misterpmedia: Precisely my point. People tend to forget that while games (and films, TV series, music, books, etc) are targeted to specific audiences they are still a someone's creation. Their vision of how their own game should work should not need to be altered just because the main character isn't a male or a female.

#9 Edited by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@misterpmedia: Precisely my point. People tend to forget that while games (and films, TV series, music, books, etc) are targeted to specific audiences they are still a someone's creation. Their vision of how their own game should work should not need to be altered just because the main character isn't a male or a female.

we could also bring in so much more to make this truly pointless. How many of the 12 characters are white, black or asian? How many ethnicities within races will there be? What happens when they all have short hair but one person wants the option to play a character with long hair? Why wasn't Lara Croft an African woman with dredds? Why wasn't Kratos female?

It get's silly and people who are seriously affected by this baffle me.

#10 Edited by kinectthedots (1674 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@misterpmedia: Precisely my point. People tend to forget that while games (and films, TV series, music, books, etc) are targeted to specific audiences they are still a someone's creation. Their vision of how their own game should work should not need to be altered just because the main character isn't a male or a female.

we could also bring in so much more to make this truly pointless. How many of the 12 characters are white, black or asian? How many ethnicities within races will there be? What happens when they all have short hair but one person wants the option to play a character with long hair? Why wasn't Lara Croft an African woman with dredds? Why wasn't Kratos female?

It get's silly and people who are seriously affected by this baffle me.

Ya know what, I think the TC is on to something.

Thinking back all versions of GTA have all been male characters, let's flame them also for not making a playable female charcter (inserts endless loop of examples to make the TCs argument even more desperate)

#11 Posted by wonder6192 (33 posts) -

i don't see why it wouldn't make sense for a woman to lead a merry band of dungeon crawlers. definitely sexist. i'm serious.

#12 Posted by Renevent42 (5179 posts) -

Ridiculous. The fact the main character is male doesn't mean the game is sexist.

#13 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

but yea, i here you guys but a gosh darn free to play game...and no option to play as a female character?? thats weird to me.

i mean, if it was a retail game and you know they had a certain vision...yes, you bite the bullet and go with their vision and character. but a f2p game...a game the whole community will have access too. including the many female gamers who have the system. it's odd to cut their gender out of the the equation to an extent. not literally cut them out, but not giving them a character option that speaks for/to themselves, is a bad choice imo. from what i've seen female gamers are very proud of being, female gamers. not being able to play as a female in an free to play game will rub some of them wrong...n some will skip this micro transactioned mess, imo.

odd to do for a free to play game...u do that crap with retail games, not f2p. free to play games you want everyone jumping in, building a character they love, and enjoying it. pulling the "you play as a man and thats it" card in a game they want people to contribute money to in in-game charges so it survives is an odd choice.

#14 Posted by bezza2011 (2408 posts) -

Why does everything have to be sexist just because there isn't an option to play as a woman or man, honestly it's a game, not every game should have this option at the end of the day, games a piece of art, artist design the characters and you should just appreciate there vision, not think it's odd because you can't pick a female, come on, there are female lead characters out there, just because there is more men does not mean it's sexist.

#15 Posted by N30F3N1X (7998 posts) -

Don't like it, don't play it.

Frankly I'm tired of these pointless whiny arguments. Why the hell don't you found your own damn software house if you feel the need to make women feel less underrepresented?

#16 Edited by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

So what? Is this some sort of game you're playing in your head or something? The points I made still stand lol. Why does it matter that I have a female avatar?

#17 Edited by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@Desmonic said:

@misterpmedia: Precisely my point. People tend to forget that while games (and films, TV series, music, books, etc) are targeted to specific audiences they are still a someone's creation. Their vision of how their own game should work should not need to be altered just because the main character isn't a male or a female.

we could also bring in so much more to make this truly pointless. How many of the 12 characters are white, black or asian? How many ethnicities within races will there be? What happens when they all have short hair but one person wants the option to play a character with long hair? Why wasn't Lara Croft an African woman with dredds? Why wasn't Kratos female?

It get's silly and people who are seriously affected by this baffle me.

Ya know what, I think the TC is on to something.

Thinking back all versions of GTA have all been male characters, let's flame them also for not making a playable female charcter (inserts endless loop of examples to make the TCs argument even more desperate)

its a free to play game knucklehead...thats different than a retail game. i explained my point on that further in post 13...y'all are quiet now though, hmmm.

#18 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

but yea, i here you guys but a gosh darn free to play game...and no option to play as a female character?? thats weird to me.

i mean, if it was a retail game and you know they had a certain vision...yes, you bite the bullet and go with their vision and character. but a f2p game...a game the whole community will have access too. including the many female gamers who have the system. it's odd to cut their gender out of the the equation to an extent. not literally cut them out, but not giving them a character option that speaks for/to themselves, is a bad choice imo. from what i've seen female gamers are very proud of being, female gamers. not being able to play as a female in an free to play game will rub some of them wrong...n some will skip this micro transactioned mess, imo.

odd to do for a free to play game...u do that crap with retail games, not f2p. free to play games you want everyone jumping in, building a character they love, and enjoying it. pulling the "you play as a man and thats it" card in a game they want people to contribute money to in in-game charges so it survives is an odd choice.

lol

#19 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

its a free to play game knucklehead...thats different than a retail game. i explained my point on that further in post 13...y'all are quiet now though, hmmm.

People would actually bother to answer if you made any sense.

#20 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@Desmonic: whats on your mind Des? :)

@tymeservesfate said:

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

So what? Is this some sort of game you're playing in your head or something? The points I made still stand lol. Why does it matter that I have a female avatar?

just joking around. don't take it personal.

#21 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

more games should be like this. I applaud Capcom.not every game needs to have the option to play as a female. the domination continues

#22 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

What a terrible thread.

#23 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

but yea, i here you guys but a gosh darn free to play game...and no option to play as a female character?? thats weird to me.

i mean, if it was a retail game and you know they had a certain vision...yes, you bite the bullet and go with their vision and character. but a f2p game...a game the whole community will have access too. including the many female gamers who have the system. it's odd to cut their gender out of the the equation to an extent. not literally cut them out, but not giving them a character option that speaks for/to themselves, is a bad choice imo. from what i've seen female gamers are very proud of being, female gamers. not being able to play as a female in an free to play game will rub some of them wrong...n some will skip this micro transactioned mess, imo.

odd to do for a free to play game...u do that crap with retail games, not f2p. free to play games you want everyone jumping in, building a character they love, and enjoying it. pulling the "you play as a man and thats it" card in a game they want people to contribute money to in in-game charges so it survives is an odd choice.

Maybe capcom will cave and do some female versions or female character DLC(lulz) but I still don't think it's at all needed. Your counter argument is basically that it's a free to play game therefore it should have female characters, which holds just as much weight as your first argument did. If the game itself never intended to have female protags then you're not going to see them even on a free to play model. No-one is forcing a female player to play it, and to be fair most still will, as gamers(used as a collective unisex term) play games because they're gamers. Not that I'm remotely interested in this game, I still wouldn't have a problem playing it if all the characters were female, to me it's a non-issue because like I've stated before, if people go down the sexism route other routes open up and then the game gets butchered because of this weird entitlement to change the original vision. Needs to stop.

#24 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@bezza2011:

more games should be like this. I applaud Capcom.not every game needs to have the option to play as a female. the domination continues

my point is its a bad business move to do for a F2P game, you don't think so? like i said, if its a retail game, then yes, ur paying to play their vision of the game, character and all. but a free to play game where the catch is suppose to be you make ur own character that speaks for you. a character that you're suppose to invest in and spend a lot of time with...its odd, or a bad decision, to cut females out of that loop and only give them an option to play as a man. seems like a bad business move.

yes, not every game needs to be gender equal...but free to play games should when u expect people, including women gamers, to buy into the game. i just think it'll hurt the title more than help it...n its going to need help with the micro-transaction riddled picture they're painting of the game.

#25 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

but yea, i here you guys but a gosh darn free to play game...and no option to play as a female character?? thats weird to me.

i mean, if it was a retail game and you know they had a certain vision...yes, you bite the bullet and go with their vision and character. but a f2p game...a game the whole community will have access too. including the many female gamers who have the system. it's odd to cut their gender out of the the equation to an extent. not literally cut them out, but not giving them a character option that speaks for/to themselves, is a bad choice imo. from what i've seen female gamers are very proud of being, female gamers. not being able to play as a female in an free to play game will rub some of them wrong...n some will skip this micro transactioned mess, imo.

odd to do for a free to play game...u do that crap with retail games, not f2p. free to play games you want everyone jumping in, building a character they love, and enjoying it. pulling the "you play as a man and thats it" card in a game they want people to contribute money to in in-game charges so it survives is an odd choice.

Maybe capcom will cave and do some female versions or female character DLC(lulz) but I still don't think it's at all needed. Your counter argument is basically that it's a free to play game therefore it should have female characters, which holds just as much weight as your first argument did. If the game itself never intended to have female protags then you're not going to see them even on a free to play model. No-one is forcing a female player to play it, and to be fair most still will, as gamers(used as a collective unisex term) play games because they're gamers. Not that I'm remotely interested in this game, I still wouldn't have a problem playing it if all the characters were female, to me it's a non-issue because like I've stated before, if people go down the sexism route other routes open up and then the game gets butchered because of this weird entitlement to change the original vision. Needs to stop.

people are latching onto the sexist thing a little too strongly in here lol. i thought it was obvious i was joking around with that. i don't think the game is sexist....i just said that to grab attention for the thread. i then talked about what i felt was the real issue in my opening post. the mistake of not including a female character option in the game. which i think is a mistake and will sour some gamers towards the game.

people today hate/dislike games for some real petty reasons...so suggesting that some gamers might have an issue with not being able to play as their own sex might turn them off to a game is not really a stretch to suggest.

#26 Edited by freedomfreak (39984 posts) -

Pretty sure curvy, double D, anime inspired females will be included later. Of course, you'll have to cough up some dough for 'em.

#27 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1937 posts) -

You are in armor in the game... I guess they can add female armor in DLC.

#28 Posted by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

Pretty sure curvy, double D, anime inspired females will be included later. Of course, you'll have to cough up some dough for 'em.

money money money!

#29 Posted by Heil68 (43939 posts) -

Good, makes me want to play even more now.

#30 Edited by Chutebox (36981 posts) -

Doesn't matter and not sexist

#31 Edited by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@misterpmedia: female in his avatar...thats one.

but yea, i here you guys but a gosh darn free to play game...and no option to play as a female character?? thats weird to me.

i mean, if it was a retail game and you know they had a certain vision...yes, you bite the bullet and go with their vision and character. but a f2p game...a game the whole community will have access too. including the many female gamers who have the system. it's odd to cut their gender out of the the equation to an extent. not literally cut them out, but not giving them a character option that speaks for/to themselves, is a bad choice imo. from what i've seen female gamers are very proud of being, female gamers. not being able to play as a female in an free to play game will rub some of them wrong...n some will skip this micro transactioned mess, imo.

odd to do for a free to play game...u do that crap with retail games, not f2p. free to play games you want everyone jumping in, building a character they love, and enjoying it. pulling the "you play as a man and thats it" card in a game they want people to contribute money to in in-game charges so it survives is an odd choice.

Maybe capcom will cave and do some female versions or female character DLC(lulz) but I still don't think it's at all needed. Your counter argument is basically that it's a free to play game therefore it should have female characters, which holds just as much weight as your first argument did. If the game itself never intended to have female protags then you're not going to see them even on a free to play model. No-one is forcing a female player to play it, and to be fair most still will, as gamers(used as a collective unisex term) play games because they're gamers. Not that I'm remotely interested in this game, I still wouldn't have a problem playing it if all the characters were female, to me it's a non-issue because like I've stated before, if people go down the sexism route other routes open up and then the game gets butchered because of this weird entitlement to change the original vision. Needs to stop.

people are latching onto the sexist thing a little too strongly in here lol. i thought it was obvious i was joking around with that. i don't think the game is sexist....i just said that to grab attention for the thread. i then talked about what i felt was the real issue in my opening post. the mistake of not including a female character option in the game. which i think is a mistake and will sour some gamers towards the game.

people today hate/dislike games for some real petty reasons...so suggesting that some gamers might have an issue with not being able to play as their own sex might turn them off to a game is not really a stretch to suggest.

Ah, OK. My bad there. Well I don't agree it will sour gamers to it because I think the people who will actually care will be a niche. For that second bold, true dat.

#32 Edited by lamprey263 (23495 posts) -

Lots of games don't allow for female characters, though I like the design of some games that allow you to design your hero like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Saints Row, Dragon Dogma. Deep Down is like other games that basically stick with one protagonist, at least that's what the response says. Since they designed it around a sole male character that's what we get. I do like the idea of being able to design the hero and I wish more games would take this approach. There really seems to be no reason to single Deep Down out, but I hope maybe their response leads to the creation of a female protagonist option, and I'd hope more developers see the value of following that example.

#33 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8531 posts) -

The Japanese are mostly patriarchs so go figure.

#34 Posted by princeofshapeir (13957 posts) -

It's free-to-play from Capcom, so I guarantee you'll have to pay $50 extra to play as a female character.

#35 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4642 posts) -

a non-issue for me personally

plenty of girls do play games, hopefully they won't get all eggy over this.

#36 Posted by Couth_ (10059 posts) -

So this is what lems do in SW now

#37 Edited by tyloss (829 posts) -

Lems attempts at ownage are just..... Fails.

Talk about reaching.

#38 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

if women want more women in games, why don't they develop the games themselves? why do they need a man to do it for them?

regardless, jokingly I was going to post about how in a few years women will be crying that there aren't enough plus-sized females in videogames, but I already see people complaining about that in the comment box on the original article. can't wait until I can choose a lardass protagonist.

#39 Posted by Alcapello (879 posts) -

You could always imagine your character used to be a woman.

#40 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13811 posts) -

The bodacious female knights are what the DLC is!

You want boobs and a nice ass? you better cough up that cash.

#41 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

maybe they think the game is sexist because they assume the dragons are female

#42 Edited by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

if women want more women in games, why don't they develop the games themselves? why do they need a man to do it for them?

regardless, jokingly I was going to post about how in a few years women will be crying that there aren't enough plus-sized females in videogames, but I already see people complaining about that in the comment box on the original article. can't wait until I can choose a lardass protagonist.

HA!

but yea, there is one game where you can be heavyset, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. it was pretty funny seeing a 300lbs CJ bounce around.

maybe they think the game is sexist because they assume the dragons are female

maybe so...i mean, the dragon in Shrek was female, hmmm.

Lots of games don't allow for female characters, though I like the design of some games that allow you to design your hero like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Saints Row, Dragon Dogma. Deep Down is like other games that basically stick with one protagonist, at least that's what the response says. Since they designed it around a sole male character that's what we get. I do like the idea of being able to design the hero and I wish more games would take this approach. There really seems to be no reason to single Deep Down out, but I hope maybe their response leads to the creation of a female protagonist option, and I'd hope more developers see the value of following that example.

played and love all those games...thats another reason why i think its a bad/weird idea to cut the female character out of Deep Down. not really to signal it out but people love customizing and making their character their own. but maybe its like some people are saying...it being a DLC opportunity in the future for the game.

#43 Edited by KungfuKitten (20963 posts) -

Depends on the vibe. TF2 is males only? And it fits the game. The whole game breaths men amongst men. Not manly men, but boy men. Girls playing TF2 don't mind playing a boy in that game.
Maybe they thought the tone was too serious and dark or something for a female lead. If you hurt a woman in a game it is different than hurting a man, depending on art style and all that. You could design a suitable female lead for such a game too, if you happen to envision it. Maybe they just didn't.
I like playing females in videogames. Not because of the digital curves but because of what it's like.
Not saying that the game shouldn't have a female lead but I can live with it if that is how they wanted it.

#44 Posted by getyeryayasout (7355 posts) -

It is a little odd to leave female characters out of this type of F2P. Still, part of me wants the devs to patch in the most ridiculous, scantily clad, overtly objectified character models you could imagine. Just to see them thumb their noses.

#45 Edited by KungfuKitten (20963 posts) -

It is a little odd to leave female characters out of this type of F2P. Still, part of me wants the devs to patch in the most ridiculous, scantily clad, overtly objectified character models you could imagine. Just to see them thumb their noses.

And it's not just men who love to see those kind of scantily clad overtly objectified character models XD

I love that GW2 interview in which one of their (female) artists answered the question about their unrealistic armor. She basically said, with a lot of stumbling words, that they kinda designed it that way cause they liked it. :d

#46 Edited by General_X (9030 posts) -

The characters are the gender they are because that is what the creators intended, it's not up to other people to decide what characters the creators should make. As a male I would be more inclined to write/create a male character for a game because I'm obviously more experienced with the male perspective. I don't think it's right for other people to force their will on content creators. It would even probably be a bit of a disservice for males to be forced to create female characters.

What's needed is more females in the creative portion of the games industry. I think people complaining about games already in production are barking up the entirely wrong tree.

#47 Edited by tymeservesfate (1662 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

Depends on the vibe. TF2 is males only? And it fits the game. The whole game breaths men amongst men. Not manly men, but boy men. Girls playing TF2 don't mind playing a boy in that game.

Maybe they thought the tone was too serious and dark or something for a female lead. If you hurt a woman in a game it is different than hurting a man, depending on art style and all that. You could design a suitable female lead for such a game too, if you happen to envision it. Maybe they just didn't.

I like playing females in videogames. Not because of the digital curves but because of what it's like.

Not saying that the game shouldn't have a female lead but I can live with it if that is how they wanted it.

can't really go for this one...in the new Tomb Raider she absolutely got her ass kicked in it. not to mention killed in some gruesome ways. also this is a free to play build ur character from scratch game...it and TF2 arent similar in that aspect.

@General_X said:

The characters are the gender they are because that is what the creators intended, it's not up to other people to decide what characters the creators should make. As a male I would be more inclined to write/create a male character for a game because I'm obviously more experienced with the male perspective. I don't think it's right for other people to force their will on content creators. It would even probably be a bit of a disservice for males to be forced to create female characters.

What's needed is more females in the creative portion of the games industry. I think people complaining about games already in production are barking up the entirely wrong tree.

its wrong for users to force their wants on the creators but alright for them to force their content/vision on us O_o? plus you complain about having to play as a female character but don't think female gamers should or would feel the same way with this situation of being forced to play a male character O_o? i think they would. especially when theirs a create ur character portion to the game.

also their are plenty of female devs from what i've seen in photos of dev teams over the years.

#48 Posted by General_X (9030 posts) -

@General_X said:

The characters are the gender they are because that is what the creators intended, it's not up to other people to decide what characters the creators should make. As a male I would be more inclined to write/create a male character for a game because I'm obviously more experienced with the male perspective. I don't think it's right for other people to force their will on content creators. It would even probably be a bit of a disservice for males to be forced to create female characters.

What's needed is more females in the creative portion of the games industry. I think people complaining about games already in production are barking up the entirely wrong tree.

its wrong for users to force their wants on the creators but alright for them to force their content/vision on us O_o? plus you complain about having to play as a female character but don't think female gamers should or would feel the same way with this situation of being forced to play a male character O_o? i think they would. especially when theirs a create ur character portion to the game.

also their are plenty of female devs from what i've seen in photos of dev teams over the years.

Yes it is wrong, the devs should be able to make the game they want, it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to purchase/participate in the game world. They aren't forcing their content on you, if you don't like it you simply ignore it.

I never complained about playing as female characters (in fact I never mentioned my playing preferences), I said if I was a content creator I would be more comfortable creating male characters/stories because I'm male.

I will concede that it's silly there's no female option in this particular game, but that's the dev's right to make the decision and it will probably hurt them financially. My original statement was meant more for the industry as a whole.

#49 Edited by KungfuKitten (20963 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Depends on the vibe. TF2 is males only? And it fits the game. The whole game breaths men amongst men. Not manly men, but boy men. Girls playing TF2 don't mind playing a boy in that game.

Maybe they thought the tone was too serious and dark or something for a female lead. If you hurt a woman in a game it is different than hurting a man, depending on art style and all that. You could design a suitable female lead for such a game too, if you happen to envision it. Maybe they just didn't.

I like playing females in videogames. Not because of the digital curves but because of what it's like.

Not saying that the game shouldn't have a female lead but I can live with it if that is how they wanted it.

can't really go for this one...in the new Tomb Raider she absolutely got her ass kicked in it. not to mention killed in some gruesome ways. also this is a free to play build ur character from scratch game...it and TF2 arent similar in that aspect.

Hmm then let's lightly disagree. As far as I know her being a woman getting hurt caused some controversy on gaming websites. If it was a man like Drake from Uncharted I wouldn't expect people to really care at all. A near rape scene (which was rather exaggerated by the media imo) would have been more of a joke like in Pulp Fiction than something we'd discuss as a point where games are pushing things too far.

You probably don't think it would make a difference, and that's good in a way. That's how it should be, I guess?

BTW I really wouldn't mind being able to play a woman in this f2p game and I would like a gender option to be the norm, but it's ok for me if there are stylistic exceptions.

#50 Edited by bezza2011 (2408 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@bezza2011:

@xboxdone74 said:

more games should be like this. I applaud Capcom.not every game needs to have the option to play as a female. the domination continues

my point is its a bad business move to do for a F2P game, you don't think so? like i said, if its a retail game, then yes, ur paying to play their vision of the game, character and all. but a free to play game where the catch is suppose to be you make ur own character that speaks for you. a character that you're suppose to invest in and spend a lot of time with...its odd, or a bad decision, to cut females out of that loop and only give them an option to play as a man. seems like a bad business move.

yes, not every game needs to be gender equal...but free to play games should when u expect people, including women gamers, to buy into the game. i just think it'll hurt the title more than help it...n its going to need help with the micro-transaction riddled picture they're painting of the game.

What a load of rubbish, when did it all of a sudden become the norm that every game no matter what free to play or retail should they include this :S it's there game, just play it, seriously it's a non issue which some little bright eyed person decided to kick up a fuss about it.

No one should kick up a fuss if a developer doesn't add a female character to it, seriously, there only a few games from the past few years where this has been even implemented

I think people need to learn the actual meaning of Sexist. Making a game which doesn't include a female lead character is not sexist it's a design choice from the artist who is the developer, sexist means that somthing or someone is premoting that a different sex is better, when this game is just being a GAME.

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

This does not mean Oooooo a developer has decided to put the main character as a male, so there for they are sexist, no because no one has actually discriminated anyone

please people who believe this is all sexist to story learning terms and understand stuff before posting