Dedicated Servers and 300000 servers

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

Is not a reason to get a One over PS4. It's one of those reasons that sounds better on paper than in the real world. It's not like games are unplayable, if so why was 360's Xbox Live so bragged about? I can't name a single game that constantly kicks me off or gives me trouble just because it doesn't have dedicated servers. Is dedicated servers that big a deal or do fanboys just want something to brag about since X1 is outclassed in 90% of other aspects?

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (45629 posts) -

not sure if serious or just stupid.....probably just stupid

#3 Posted by clyde46 (43243 posts) -

Quick, someone get NineTailed a tissue, he's crying again!

#4 Posted by k2theswiss (16577 posts) -

hehe, Kid you never played on a dedicated server before have you?

Don't be mad MS is just handing this out for all the games that come to their system

#5 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Holy shit this board is getting spammed hard by insecure cows. Give the new thread button a break jesus.

#6 Posted by Caseytappy (2108 posts) -

Battered Cow syndrome !

#7 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

No more tears please they are drowning us

#8 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -
#9 Posted by KungfuKitten (20629 posts) -

They may have cut up some servers to make them like 5 servers in one box.

#10 Edited by mems_1224 (45629 posts) -
#11 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

@clyde46: So making a statement is crying now? I guess 99% of the posts here are crying then.

#12 Edited by mems_1224 (45629 posts) -

@clyde46: So making a statement is crying now? I guess 99% of the posts here are crying then.

still crying bro?

#13 Edited by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

I'm guessing XBL on 360 wasn't as perfect as Lems made it out to be if dedicated servers is such a big deal. You can't have it both ways. Both PS3 and 360 were good and stable for me. I'm sure it's a good feature but nothing to write home about considering current online got the job done with no problems. Certainly no reason to chose a shipwreck such as X1.

#14 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

@mems_1224: With the new TOU, hopefully you'll get banned :)

#15 Edited by ELJUDEZ (7386 posts) -
#16 Posted by Netret0120 (1852 posts) -

You make us Sony supporters look bad.

If you have to justify your purchase by belittling the competition i don't think you are mature enough.

I will buy a PS4 regardless of MS positive points and do you know why? I like the games on PS4 more than X1. No need to justify it. I just do.

#17 Edited by MightyMuna (1731 posts) -

Just get which console has the games you want to play.

However, I doubt we'll ever see a multiplatform game that has dedicated server on Xbox One and P2P on PS4. Most publishers/developers find it easier to have the same solution across all platforms

#18 Posted by mems_1224 (45629 posts) -

@mems_1224: With the new TOU, hopefully you'll get banned :)

lol never gonna happen bro, sorry. unlike you i've never needed to make multiple accounts

#19 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5124 posts) -

@NineTailedGoku said:

@mems_1224: With the new TOU, hopefully you'll get banned :)

lol never gonna happen bro, sorry. unlike you i've never needed to make multiple accounts

Its Ironic, coming from an alt who got perma-suspended after a few weeks, and cried about it on the PUSH offsite.

#20 Edited by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

It IS a reason to get the X1, just like a slight graphics difference or higher resolution is a reason to get a PS4.

Consolites forever talk about how expensive PC's just offer higher fidelity and don't that doesn't change the game, but will gladly pick slightly better graphics over flawless online play?

#21 Edited by APiranhaAteMyVa (2843 posts) -

The One will also have faster downloads because of that superior server network, so in year 4-5 when downloads become standard. Cows will be stuck waiting several hours for a game to download from Sonys crappy servers, while Xbone gamers will be tapping out their internet connection speeds. Also that Azure security less likely to go down, as all Microsoft products are on the Azure network, so they will have backups if they want to do maintenance. 24/7 365.

Also those persistant worlds, it's going to revolutionise online games when you leave a car in a spot then 2 weeks later you can go back to that spot and it will still be there. Also no disappearing bodies can use the cloud, so many possibilities that will never grace the PS4.

#22 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Dedicated servers is just another bullet point on the list things MS is offering. As a service, XBL is still doing so much more than PSN.

PS. offering server use to all devs allows for more than just servers to host multiplayer games. It can be used to enhance single player games too, and its something Sony cannot match because they simply do not (nor will they ever) have the infrastructure to support it.

The only way Sony could compete would be to go to a competitor like Amazon or Google, in which case they'd be paying out the ass and it just wouldn't be worth it.

#23 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Also, I'd like to add:

"It's one of those reasons that sounds better on paper than in the real world."

LOL you just described the PS4s hardware advantage. Good going.

#24 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3080 posts) -

Most publishers would rather use their own servers because that way they have greater control over the service.

Only way I can see this being a benefit is when a pub decides to reallocate resources and hands off the old game to them so they can run the few thousand hangers on. Most multiplayer games have shelf lives so it's nothing most people would shed tears over.

Still loving the fact that lems thought this was a game changer! ^_^

#25 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Most publishers would rather use their own servers because that way they have greater control over the service.

Only way I can see this being a benefit is when a pub decides to reallocate resources and hands off the old game to them so they can run the few thousand hangers on. Most multiplayer games have shelf lives so it's nothing most people would shed tears over.

Still loving the fact that lems thought this was a game changer! ^_^

It is.

Most publishers would not rather use their own servers. Only mega publishers like EA. And even then, Activision isn't. They're using Azure for Ghosts.

Its already secured Titanfall for Microsoft platforms which so far is the biggest next gen game coming.

#26 Edited by tormentos (16272 posts) -

Is not a reason to get a One over PS4. It's one of those reasons that sounds better on paper than in the real world. It's not like games are unplayable, if so why was 360's Xbox Live so bragged about? I can't name a single game that constantly kicks me off or gives me trouble just because it doesn't have dedicated servers. Is dedicated servers that big a deal or do fanboys just want something to brag about since X1 is outclassed in 90% of other aspects?

Is not 300K servers yet they are building them.

And considering that EA just say that they will not use MS servers and cloud crap,i think is very easy to see that not all developers will go for that.

EA reasons is that they don't want something that is xbox one exclusive since they work in 5 different platforms,not only that any use of the infamous cloud will mean that you will need online mandatory,which was something that people refuse already,cloud doesn't work without online connection,and that would also affect sales since not every one will have online connection.

#27 Posted by tormentos (16272 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Most publishers would rather use their own servers because that way they have greater control over the service.

Only way I can see this being a benefit is when a pub decides to reallocate resources and hands off the old game to them so they can run the few thousand hangers on. Most multiplayer games have shelf lives so it's nothing most people would shed tears over.

Still loving the fact that lems thought this was a game changer! ^_^

It is.

Most publishers would not rather use their own servers. Only mega publishers like EA. And even then, Activision isn't. They're using Azure for Ghosts.

Its already secured Titanfall for Microsoft platforms which so far is the biggest next gen game coming.

Yes many will anything cloud based requires online connection.

And Titanfall has been hint already to come to the PS4,i would not keep my hopes up the games is publish by EA and we all know as soon as the game sells well there will be a PS4 version,even more when the PS4 appear to be the one that will dominate sales.

#28 Posted by Chutebox (36049 posts) -

If someone thinks it's a reason, then it's a reason. Move on

#29 Posted by clyde46 (43243 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Most publishers would rather use their own servers because that way they have greater control over the service.

Only way I can see this being a benefit is when a pub decides to reallocate resources and hands off the old game to them so they can run the few thousand hangers on. Most multiplayer games have shelf lives so it's nothing most people would shed tears over.

Still loving the fact that lems thought this was a game changer! ^_^

It is.

Most publishers would not rather use their own servers. Only mega publishers like EA. And even then, Activision isn't. They're using Azure for Ghosts.

Its already secured Titanfall for Microsoft platforms which so far is the biggest next gen game coming.

Yes many will anything cloud based requires online connection.

And Titanfall has been hint already to come to the PS4,i would not keep my hopes up the games is publish by EA and we all know as soon as the game sells well there will be a PS4 version,even more when the PS4 appear to be the one that will dominate sales.

Currently Respawn have no plans for a PS4 release. I spoke to a dev at Eurogamer and that was the first thing I asked her about.

#30 Posted by tormentos (16272 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Dedicated servers is just another bullet point on the list things MS is offering. As a service, XBL is still doing so much more than PSN.

PS. offering server use to all devs allows for more than just servers to host multiplayer games. It can be used to enhance single player games too, and its something Sony cannot match because they simply do not (nor will they ever) have the infrastructure to support it.

The only way Sony could compete would be to go to a competitor like Amazon or Google, in which case they'd be paying out the ass and it just wouldn't be worth it.

Dedicated servers had been part of PS games since the PS2,when i was playing Socom on dedicated servers,while live fans were stock with P2P,the same goes for the PS3 Resistance 20 vs 20 on huge maps,when Gears was 4 vs 4 on that same holiday,how about Resistance 2 30 vs 30 almost BF4 like,and 8 players co-op which still to this day un match on xbox 360 or PS3 by any game.

Now you people want to pretend that dedicated servers are great,when you have 2 complete generation downplaying them,and voicing how great P2P was.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648395

That bold part is so wrong...lol

#31 Posted by tormentos (16272 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Currently Respawn have no plans for a PS4 release. I spoke to a dev at Eurogamer and that was the first thing I asked her about.

Yeah like any developer will actually tell you yeah the game that we have for MS xbox one and not for PS4 will land latter on PS4,dude come one stop playing blind,all developers will deny any version coming of a game to another platform when they have a deal with another this is just business,the same happen with Bioshock,Oblivion and many other games that would never come to PS3 and ended there and the sequels actually stopped been exclusive do to profits maximization wanted by companies,there are several more games like this.

#32 Posted by magicalclick (22163 posts) -

Fast download and upload for all MP games. More players in MP. And this is just a basic implementation that most MP players would be really happy about. Any game that wants to compete in MP space, will implement the dynamically allocated cloud MP session. For unique persistent cloud world, EA may not do it. But, if they want to compete with CoD, they will do it, and likely host their own dedicated server for PS4 to keep up with the competition. But, as you can see, Xbox cloud is free. A big difference compare to host their own.

#33 Posted by EG101 (857 posts) -

I remember when everyone was stating that MS should give us Dedicated Servers in return for our paid Xbox Live Sub and Now that M.S. is delivering what everyone asked for people are going to try and downplay it.

Dedicated Servers >>>>>>>>> P2P. It is a HUGE advantage because On-Line games will Play better with dedicated servers by eliminating Host advantage AND taking the Load off the console CPU tracking every user. Also in the past when a Host quit the game many times the game would restart. Now when someone quits the game the game continues smoothly with out interruptions. Dedicated Servers will also allow for more users to be in a game. There is definitely a clear advantage to having dedicated servers.

#34 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Dedicated servers is just another bullet point on the list things MS is offering. As a service, XBL is still doing so much more than PSN.

PS. offering server use to all devs allows for more than just servers to host multiplayer games. It can be used to enhance single player games too, and its something Sony cannot match because they simply do not (nor will they ever) have the infrastructure to support it.

The only way Sony could compete would be to go to a competitor like Amazon or Google, in which case they'd be paying out the ass and it just wouldn't be worth it.

Dedicated servers had been part of PS games since the PS2,when i was playing Socom on dedicated servers,while live fans were stock with P2P,the same goes for the PS3 Resistance 20 vs 20 on huge maps,when Gears was 4 vs 4 on that same holiday,how about Resistance 2 30 vs 30 almost BF4 like,and 8 players co-op which still to this day un match on xbox 360 or PS3 by any game.

Now you people want to pretend that dedicated servers are great,when you have 2 complete generation downplaying them,and voicing how great P2P was.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648395

That bold part is so wrong...lol

And? That proves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Well done, once again Tormento.

Everyone and their granny knows Sony games have had dedicated servers before. You go on about it enough.

Thats not the same as having a huge server infrastructure to offer all devs on your platform. Not the same at all.

So please, continue to #dealwithit

#35 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

@NineTailedGoku said:

Is not a reason to get a One over PS4. It's one of those reasons that sounds better on paper than in the real world. It's not like games are unplayable, if so why was 360's Xbox Live so bragged about? I can't name a single game that constantly kicks me off or gives me trouble just because it doesn't have dedicated servers. Is dedicated servers that big a deal or do fanboys just want something to brag about since X1 is outclassed in 90% of other aspects?

Is not 300K servers yet they are building them.

And considering that EA just say that they will not use MS servers and cloud crap,i think is very easy to see that not all developers will go for that.

EA reasons is that they don't want something that is xbox one exclusive since they work in 5 different platforms,not only that any use of the infamous cloud will mean that you will need online mandatory,which was something that people refuse already,cloud doesn't work without online connection,and that would also affect sales since not every one will have online connection.

And yet EA is utilising the cloud in BF4 (with their own servers) in very similar ways to Titanfall (which is supported by Azure).

So we have numerous devs using it, but its still 'cloud crap' to you LOL

I guess you'll never accept it until a Sony dev starts talking about it.

#36 Edited by clyde46 (43243 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Currently Respawn have no plans for a PS4 release. I spoke to a dev at Eurogamer and that was the first thing I asked her about.

Yeah like any developer will actually tell you yeah the game that we have for MS xbox one and not for PS4 will land latter on PS4,dude come one stop playing blind,all developers will deny any version coming of a game to another platform when they have a deal with another this is just business,the same happen with Bioshock,Oblivion and many other games that would never come to PS3 and ended there and the sequels actually stopped been exclusive do to profits maximization wanted by companies,there are several more games like this.

You seem to cling to anons who post similar stuff on Gaf. Bit hypocritical no?

#37 Posted by kuu2 (6769 posts) -

Too easy......

#38 Edited by kuu2 (6769 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Currently Respawn have no plans for a PS4 release. I spoke to a dev at Eurogamer and that was the first thing I asked her about.

Yeah like any developer will actually tell you yeah the game that we have for MS xbox one and not for PS4 will land latter on PS4,dude come one stop playing blind,all developers will deny any version coming of a game to another platform when they have a deal with another this is just business,the same happen with Bioshock,Oblivion and many other games that would never come to PS3 and ended there and the sequels actually stopped been exclusive do to profits maximization wanted by companies,there are several more games like this.

Yep just like Gears.

Sony Fan continues to look like clowns. Hey Sony Fan jump on in the water is warm in the X1 pool. Strange how Sony Fan is always putting down the X1 but on the same hand wants all of its games.

So sad.

#39 Edited by Wasdie (49250 posts) -

I don't think you're fully grasping the idea of what a dedicated server is.

Microsoft is simply directly providing the servers for developers so they do not need to go through third party providers. From my knowledge Sony is not doing this. PSN is hosted on dedicated servers and PS4 games will be using dedicated servers, but Sony is not directly providing these for 3rd party devs. Microsoft is eliminating the middle man which is great for developers.

I actually am happy Microsoft is doing this. Now that dedicated servers are readily available to Xbox One game developers, dedicated servers should more quickly become the standard on consoles. It would be foolish to build your game's network code and infrastructure around dedicated servers for one version and peer-to-peer for another. Hopefully this helps ends peer-to-peer networking for good.

#40 Posted by Gama_Forever (2644 posts) -

It's not that Microsoft is giving us dedicated servers. Like whoop die effing do. Nobody cares about dedicated servers. Whatever, it's old blah blah blah. What is far more concerning for Sony is that they're giving it away for free, for all developers. Cloud achievements, Kinect, w/e it's all there for indies and AAA alike. Think about it man. Titanfall is so dope because there's probably like 100 people and TItans fighting around at the same time on Xbox One lag free. Half of those people are NPCs and sometimes the Titans are running on their own protecting you or going to an objective. Putting all that information in a multiplayer match is pretty much overkill on p2p and even overkill over just regular dedicated servers. The fact Microsoft is providing this kind of stuff for every title to ever come out for FREE is pretty amazing.

#41 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5651 posts) -

All the biggest online multiplayer games will be on dedicated servers nextgen... and for the most part they were this gen on PC, and some on the PS3. So I don't see the big deal with MS giving away free dedicated servers to devs. At least its not a selling point considering the games I play will be on dedicated servers regardless of what MS does. I do think its great that MS if offering its servers to developers though. They should of probably have had dedicated servers for a long time now considering we have been paying for LIVE for over 10 years now.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (42537 posts) -

not sure if serious or just stupid.....probably just stupid

@clyde46 said:

Quick, someone get NineTailed a tissue, he's crying again!

#43 Posted by YD_11 (1557 posts) -
#44 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Hopefully the next Halo will break the 16 player cap.

#45 Posted by Gue1 (8979 posts) -

dedicated servers are a double edge sword though. They cost more to maintain and once a game drops in popularity its servers will most likely be put to rest like it happened with many PS3 MP games like Motorstorm, MAG, Socom and MGS4 which used dedicated servers. But with P2P the online MP can last almost forever (until the PS3's PSN is shut-down for example) because of how cheap they are. And then we have the fact that dedicated servers not always mean less lag like proven by Uncharted 3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-lag-effect-psn-xbox-live-analysis

#46 Posted by BigShotSmoov007 (228 posts) -
#47 Posted by clone01 (24085 posts) -
#48 Posted by Gue1 (8979 posts) -

@EG101 said:

I remember when everyone was stating that MS should give us Dedicated Servers in return for our paid Xbox Live Sub and Now that M.S. is delivering what everyone asked for people are going to try and downplay it.

Dedicated Servers >>>>>>>>> P2P. It is a HUGE advantage because On-Line games will Play better with dedicated servers by eliminating Host advantage AND taking the Load off the console CPU tracking every user. Also in the past when a Host quit the game many times the game would restart. Now when someone quits the game the game continues smoothly with out interruptions. Dedicated Servers will also allow for more users to be in a game. There is definitely a clear advantage to having dedicated servers.

is not downplaying, it's being realistic. Nothing is perfect and never will be.

Dedicated servers might be a new concept for lems used to pay 2 play on P2P (LoooL) but we cows already enjoyed these advantages and for free. Meanwhile all you guys did was say that PSN was crap for online gaming when it actually was superior to XBL in many aspects. And beside, is not like the PS4 will not have dedicated servers. The games that require it will have them. Is that simple.

#49 Posted by clone01 (24085 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@EG101 said:

I remember when everyone was stating that MS should give us Dedicated Servers in return for our paid Xbox Live Sub and Now that M.S. is delivering what everyone asked for people are going to try and downplay it.

Dedicated Servers >>>>>>>>> P2P. It is a HUGE advantage because On-Line games will Play better with dedicated servers by eliminating Host advantage AND taking the Load off the console CPU tracking every user. Also in the past when a Host quit the game many times the game would restart. Now when someone quits the game the game continues smoothly with out interruptions. Dedicated Servers will also allow for more users to be in a game. There is definitely a clear advantage to having dedicated servers.

is not downplaying, it's being realistic. Nothing is perfect and never will be.

Dedicated servers might be a new concept for lems used to pay 2 play on P2P (LoooL) but we cows already enjoyed these advantages and for free. Meanwhile all you guys did was say that PSN was crap for online gaming when it actually was superior to XBL in many aspects. And beside, is not like the PS4 will not have dedicated servers. The games that require it will have them. Is that simple.

Wow, you're actually proud to be a fanboy? That's sad.