Deciphering console wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

A console is just a box that allows you access to play games. However, this box is very important because the quality of how a game runs, is to a considerable degree dependent on which box you buy. This doesn't say anything about the quality of the games. However, if you're spending $60 on a great game, it just makes sense that you want it to run well.

My point is, it's not true that you buy a console to play great games so you should just ignore the box itself and concentrate on what games you want to play.

Why do some of you keep making this argument that doesn't make sense?

The PS4 is selling like hot cakes and it doesn't really have many interesting games. However, the hardware is very nice for a low price. It's a great value for the hardware itself and we all know the games are coming. The people who are buying a PS4 are not idiots. They are getting a good value and in the long run their investment will allow them to play loads of great games.

The Wii U on the other hand has some great games already. Games that are easily worth $60. However, the hardware itself is just a ripoff for what Nintendo is asking. Everyone knows this but some people are still making the argument that you should just ignore the price just to get at the great games.

Remember, the games ARE NOT FREE, you have to pay typically $60 for new games. Nintendo has it backwards. They should be offering a great deal on the box so that we have the option of BUYING all of those great games.

If they persist on offering terrible value with their outdated specs and high asking price just because we're supposed to know that great games are available, they will fail.

Why are so many here making excuses for Nintendo failing? Nintendo failing is not some weird thing. The specs are crap and the hardware is outdated. Drop the price to reflect the weaksauce hardware or FAIL.

The PS4 will continue to do great and again it's no accident. It offers great value and the games will keep rolling in.

Finally, Microsoft is the middle road. They offer good value but not as good as PS4. However, it's close enough that the games should determine what you buy there.

If the Wii U had the same specs at the X1, not one person would complain about it's price even if it sold for $400.

The X1 has decent hardware and offers pretty good value. Check out the sales, they're decent. It makes sense they're not flying off the shelves but also are not rotting on the shelves like the Wii U and Vita.

Games matter but hardware matters a great deal as well. And that's exactly what you buy when you buy a console. A box loaded with hardware that will run your favorite games. Why do you keep making it seem dirty that people care about specs? These games you love, how they run is based on those specs.

You keep saying that history shows the weakest console always wins the console war. NO, history shows the console that OFFERS THE BEST VALUE always wins the console war.

The PS4 easily offers the best value. It's easily winning the console war. Oh yea, it's also the most powerful. Go figure.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

Power is only brought up when it is PS4 vs XBO. When pc is involved the games are only what matters, and you have to ignore that pc has more hits than both combined.. Deciphered it for ya. Your welcome.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

tl;dr

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@Vecna said:

Power is only brought up when it is PS4 vs XBO. When pc is involved the games are only what matters, and you have to ignore that pc has more hits than both combined.. Deciphered it for ya. Your welcome.

• Console vs Console - "LOL, PS4 is 1080p and Xbox One is only 976p! Stupid Xbox LMFAO, PS4 OWNZZZZ, the graphics are so much better on PS4, mah gddr5! TLOU!"
  • Console vs Console part 2 - "LOL, PS4 gets 60 fps and Xbox One is only getting 47! LOLOLOLOL, stupid Xbots!"
  • Same console gamer vs PC running same port at 1080p-1440p and 60-144fps with all kinds of additional lighting and post processing effects, higher resolution textures, higher quality shadows, more & better looking antialiasing - "Stupid graphics whore PC gamers, graphics don't count, its the gameplay that matters! Hmph! Virgins! That game sucks anyway, you can have it...good luck playing TLOU on your $10,000 PC! LMFAO!"
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I normally read entire posts--tldr is far too teenage girl--but at least sum it up.

Also your definition of value is skewed. Nintendo consoles are generally very high quality.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@lostrib said:

tl;dr

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mikhail said:

• Console vs Console - "LOL, PS4 is 1080p and Xbox One is only 900p! Stupid Xbox LMFAO, PS4 OWNZZZZ, the graphics are so much better on PS4, mah gddr5!"
  • Console vs Console part 2 - "LOL, PS4 gets 60 fps and Xbox One is only getting 45! LOLOLOLOL, stupid Xbots!"
  • Same console gamer vs PC running same port at 1080p-1440p and 60-144fps with all kinds of additional lighting and post processing effects, higher resolution textures, higher quality shadows, more & better looking antialiasing - "Stupid graphics whore PC gamers, graphics don't count, its the gameplay that matters! Hmph! Virgins! That game sucks anyway, you can have it...good luck playing TLOU on your $10,000 PC! LMFAO!"

This is a joke considering that you cry babies pay more for a GPU on PC than the whole PS4 cost at least those using ultra and 1440 are,the you diss 1080p for been last gen,when the majority of PC gamers are on 1080p and then comes alone a game like Shadow of Mordor which force mid range cards to play in 1080p to do lack of ram,and all of the sudden ultra or high on 1080p is fine.

When on PS4 is last gen...lol

The sad arguments go both ways,i have an R270 and i installed shadow of mordor and i get 50ish FPS top on medium and get stutter and have get actual freezes for a second when i turn fast,i guess i should have gone for a 970...lol

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xplode_games

@farrell2k said:

blah blah blah. People buy consoles for the games, not the hardware. The wii and ps2 proved this.

Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my argument. It didn't take long for someone like this to show up. Anyone who takes the time to read the OP will get a chuckle out of this guy.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xplode_games

@lostrib said:

tl;dr

Do you have anything intelligent to offer? Ever?(I skimmed your post history).

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mikhail

@tormentos said:

This is a joke considering that you cry babies pay more for a GPU on PC than the whole PS4 cost at least those using ultra and 1440 are,the you diss 1080p for been last gen,when the majority of PC gamers are on 1080p and then comes alone a game like Shadow of Mordor which force mid range cards to play in 1080p to do lack of ram,and all of the sudden ultra or high on 1080p is fine.

1080p isn't last gen. 30 fps and little to no antialiasing and terrible looking shadows however, are. Nice job "next gen" consoles!

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xplode_games

@Vecna said:

That's because it's not a fair comparison. Do you really think it's fair to compare the graphics of consoles that were released a year ago to a $500 GPU that was released a week ago?

However, if you really want to compare PC's to consoles GRAPHICALLY, then you can go ahead and do so next year when the steambox is released.

The only fair comparison between PC and Consoles is value and games of course. You're welcome!

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xplode_games

@tormentos said:

@mikhail said:

• Console vs Console - "LOL, PS4 is 1080p and Xbox One is only 900p! Stupid Xbox LMFAO, PS4 OWNZZZZ, the graphics are so much better on PS4, mah gddr5!"
  • Console vs Console part 2 - "LOL, PS4 gets 60 fps and Xbox One is only getting 45! LOLOLOLOL, stupid Xbots!"

The sad arguments go both ways,i have an R270 and i installed shadow of mordor and i get 50ish FPS top on medium and get stutter and have get actual freezes for a second when i turn fast,i guess i should have gone for a 970...lol

The 270 is a card that can be purchased for $130 on a deal. It's not even a mid range card. I purchased a 280X Visontek for $230 including tax from Tiger Direct a few months ago. It's a lot more powerful card and has 3GB of VRAM. It can be considered mid range. Of course the 970 is at the high range and won't have issue running that game for the fair value of ~ $350.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikhail

@Xplode_games said:

@Vecna said:

That's because it's not a fair comparison. Do you really think it's fair to compare the graphics of consoles that were released a year ago to a $500 GPU that was released a week ago?

However, if you really want to compare PC's to consoles GRAPHICALLY, then you can go ahead and do so next year when the steambox is released.

The only fair comparison between PC and Consoles is value and games of course. You're welcome!

Except that it doesn't take a $500 GPU to surpass the PS4 or Xbox One. A $139 GTX 750 Ti could do that, and for $329 you could have a 4gb GTX 970 that has more than triple the power of even the PS4.

You're welcome.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xplode_games

@farrell2k said:

@Xplode_games said:

@farrell2k said:

blah blah blah. People buy consoles for the games, not the hardware. The wii and ps2 proved this.

Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my argument.

That phrase doesn't mean what you think it does...

It's not a phrase, it's a sentence. And i'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. Lol

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I actually don't think it can be deciphered.

It seems everyone flip-flopped from last gen, and nobody is buying consoles for the same reasons they did 7-8 years ago.

Except Nintendo fans.... They're holding true even if they are getting only one or two good games a year.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

@lostrib said:

tl;dr

Do you have anything intelligent to offer? Ever?(I skimmed your post history).

Yes

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

So let me get this right OP,

You say its about the games, you also state ps4 doesnt have many games right now. Then in the same breath say that Ps4 is the best value? if your stance is its about the games then how is it ps4 is the best value?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

this post is just words, which are too many to read...

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@mikhail said:

@Vecna said:

• Console vs Console - "LOL, PS4 is 1080p and Xbox One is only 976p! Stupid Xbox LMFAO, PS4 OWNZZZZ, the graphics are so much better on PS4, mah gddr5! TLOU!"
  • Console vs Console part 2 - "LOL, PS4 gets 60 fps and Xbox One is only getting 47! LOLOLOLOL, stupid Xbots!"

And you can't fathom why cost wouldn't enter the discussion when comparing two machines, both priced at $400?

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

too lazy to read it

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mikhail

@rekthard said:

too lazy to read it

keep trying to bump that post count up, mr. alt!

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

@mikhail said:

@rekthard said:

too lazy to read it

keep trying to bump that post count up, mr. alt!

i'm not anyone's alt though...
and i don't try to bump my post count..

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

So we're saying PS4 is winning the console war? Wii U begs to differ.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Console War ?.... Sure why not..

System Wars ? PC will always have the greatest value...... Its obviously the most powerful, and thanks to it being an Open Platform, any game can come to it, developers love developing for the PC, because they don't have to deal with all the Expensive Bureaucrosy that comes with console game developement, they've even managed to cut out the Publisher entirely, they can make games faster with fewer personel and Resources.... Oh and the Mods.... Gotta love the game mods !

See most people think PC Gaming's greatest aspect is its Power, well its not, its the Open nature of the platform, thats the best part about PC Gaming, its not the abiliy to Upgrade the components inside but the fact that I can change it anything at all, for better for worse, whatever I want, that level of autonomy and ownership that a console just can't give you, in exchange for convenience (which is practictically dead now on consoles, except for Nintendo) you lose that sense of owner ship, if you buy a Xbox One you are literally stuck with them and all the stupid shit they do so long as you use that Particular hardware, on PC, if a specific service just aint cutting it then you can change it, without getting new hardware.

And thats the biggest problem with consoles, the hardware isn't universal. XBL, PSN, Nintendo Online Store just don't appear anywhere else except on their consoles, so if you get sick of one then BOOM ! Thats gona cost $300-$400.... Which you don't technically need to do, the reason you can't play many Xbox One Exclusives on your PS4 has no Technical Basis whatsoever, its just Sytem Wars bullshit that creates fanboyism and lighter wallets.

Okay this has gone on long enough... You get the idea.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Also PC's are the machines devs use to build games anyway..... So yeah, theres that too, PC gaming will only die if you can work your way around this simple concept.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@mikhail said:

@tormentos said:

1080p isn't last gen. 30 fps and little to no antialiasing and terrible looking shadows however, are. Nice job "next gen" consoles!

1080p is last gen. I was playing at 1080p in 2011.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mikhail

@clyde46 said:

@mikhail said:

@tormentos said:

1080p is last gen. I was playing at 1080p in 2011.

I have a 1440p monitor, but to be fair, a huge majority of people don't. It isn't mainstream, "current gen" tech yet. Not only do most people not even have the display, they don't even have the GPU to drive it yet. Don't start getting ridiculous.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

@Vecna said:

You can build a pc for roughly the same price as the consoles with specs that will smoke them. It will also have free online multiplayer, cheaper games, more functionality, upgradability, should I go on?

Yeah its fair to compare. Your welcome.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

@Vecna said:

Doesn't stop the cows comparing the PS4 to the PC when it suits them. What was the thread the other day? 'level of detail you expect on the PC, but only see on the PS4', if they can dish it out, surely they can take it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HalcyonScarlet
@Xplode_games said:

@tormentos said:

@mikhail said:

The 270 is a card that can be purchased for $130 on a deal. It's not even a mid range card. I purchased a 280X Visontek for $230 including tax from Tiger Direct a few months ago. It's a lot more powerful card and has 3GB of VRAM. It can be considered mid range. Of course the 970 is at the high range and won't have issue running that game for the fair value of ~ $350.

Toms Hardware class them like this:

Entry Level: Consoles at the top of the entry level range more or less.

Mid Range: The GTX 750 TI, R265 and R270 come under the mid range.

Enthusiast: R280X

High End

Extreme and Multicard.

Seems like a decent price based way to do it. Those cards come under mid range because of the mainstream prices as well. Yours is an enthusiast price range.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Doesn't stop the cows comparing the PS4 to the PC when it suits them. What was the thread the other day? 'level of detail you expect on the PC, but only see on the PS4', if they can dish it out, surely they can take it.

It doesn't stop GPUking from doing that..hahhaa

I don't see cows all the time doing that mostly GPUking and i am sure is to piss hermits off which he does rather well...hahaha

A few screens and the thread is up flames..

@Xplode_games said:

I never say my card was mid range i say mid range card mine is not and i use min to show how bad it is,i can play BF4 on Ultra in my R270 in 1080p an get 50ish frames per second,most game out there i can play them on ultra Shadow of Mordor doesn't.

On a deal which is not for every one as that imply limitation the cheapest i saw it is $159 after rebate of $20 $189 the most expensive model in newegg,even the 970 has stutter in Ultra..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@farrell2k said:

The Wii was not bought for games, a large amount of Wii owners likely only own Wii Sports.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@tormentos said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

It doesn't stop GPUking from doing that..hahhaa

I don't see cows all the time doing that mostly GPUking and i am sure is to piss hermits off which he does rather well...hahaha

A few screens and the thread is up flames..

And lglz1337 lol. But no, they don't all the time I guess, it's not that frequent, but just pointing out that it can go both ways.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xplode_games

You forgot to mention the PCs main problem, piracy. The fix to that problem may actually be worse than the problem itself, DRM.

Having said that, steam is great and I love gaming on the PC. But to paint a picture as if it's trouble free is not accurate.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xplode_games

@Vecna said:

@Xplode_games said:

@Vecna said:

You can build a pc for roughly the same price as the consoles with specs that will smoke them. It will also have free online multiplayer, cheaper games, more functionality, upgradability, should I go on?

Go ahead and show me a PC build for $400 that smokes the PS4.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

@Vecna said:

Go ahead and show me a PC build for $400 that smokes the PS4.

really? there are thousands. It's already gotten old now.

ScarTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts

@farrell2k: Yeah did they ?.Well not anymore.Things change.

Hardware now sells itself.PS4 has proved this

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

ScarTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@scartm said:

@farrell2k: Yeah did they ?.Well not anymore.Things change.

Hardware now sells itself.PS4 has proved this

Hardware sells itself, yet Sony still has to spend millions in advertising. Hardware does not "sell itself" That's one of the dumbest things ever written on system wars.

I think it was understood that included advertising.