Dear Xbox owners: Help me understand

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

I've been a Playstation owner for years. For whatever reason, Xbox has never really sold me on anything. What keeps the Xbox fan base? We have these incredibly popular games...God of War, the Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Infamous and I LOVED Heavy Rain - and now Beyond: Two Souls (and there are many other exclusives not mentioned) Not to mention an amazing Blu-ray player. So, what does Xbox have that I'm missing out on? Or, am I? I just don't understand this.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

The 360 was popular due to it being cheaper, having all the multiplats, and being comparable to the ps3 in graphics. The original xbox was better IMO

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Party chat (with 8 chatting), it really makes gaming a lot more sociable, i play fight night a lot and then we get with people in parties challenging each other or talking about life. I can't imagine gaming without party chat anymore, If this didn't existed I would probably not game that much anymore.

The playstation may have more exclusives of triple a titles, but the xbox released cheaper and had near flawless service (which wasn't the case with sony, it may be good now, but it wasn't like that in the past).

I also think the controller is a lot better than sony's.

Enough reason for me to choose the xbox360, allthough i have bought a ps3 recently for a move game 'the fight'. Paid 100$ used. Only use the ps3 for that move game (and blue ray). Don't forget xbox had some nice exclusives too, I know sony got more of them, but that's not enough to change me around, the ones I really like go multiplat anyway (like dark souls), I may have missed out on mgs4, but honestly the party chat and the controller are just too much fun. I already have the ps3 for a year, tried some games and went away.

This time around I'm probably not going to buy an xboxone, because of the mandatory kinect. But I'm not getting a ps4 either, I'm thinking the steambox and/or sticking with my pc and x360.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@MiguelNoche said:

I've been a Playstation owner for years. For whatever reason, Xbox has never really sold me on anything. What keeps the Xbox fan base? We have these incredibly popular games...God of War, the Uncharted series, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Infamous and I LOVED Heavy Rain - and now Beyond: Two Souls (and there are many other exclusives not mentioned) Not to mention an amazing Blu-ray player. So, what does Xbox have that I'm missing out on? Or, am I? I just don't understand this.

Thean I guess its not for you. I like the games on it.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Titanfall!!!

and...Halo, GOW, Forza, dead rising, ryse etc.

Also, Kinect, better online and better controller.

This is all my opinion, but the games you just listed don't interest me whatsoever.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED. Then of course we got HALO 2: COMBAT EVOLVEDER. Which was naturally followed by HALO 3: COMBAT EVOLVEDEST and HALO 4: COMBAT HARDER. Xbone will get HALO 5: A GOOD DAY TO COMBAT EVOLVE. Which is more than enough reason to spend $500.

TSHBO, TCHBO, LAMLAMLAM!!!1

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#7 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@MiguelNoche said:

I was thinking the same thing. I guess it's not for everybody, personally i prefer the PlayStation family and i feel Xbox has nothing to offer me. :/

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

So xbox owners

With the PS4 being stronger and likely having better looking multiplats and being cheaper, Would you jump to Sony?

Analysts say the PS4 controller is better too so the only thing left is online which Sony has been catching up in

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

So xbox owners

With the PS4 being stronger and likely having better looking multiplats and being cheaper, Would you jump to Sony?

Analysts say the PS4 controller is better too so the only thing left is online which Sony has been catching up in

Their flagship title, killzone, doesn't have dedicated servers.

Microsoft has been investing billions on infrastructure....how much has sony invested again?

How exactly are they catching up?

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

So xbox owners

What do market analysts know about controllers ?

LOL

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@Caseytappy said:

@Netret0120 said:

So xbox owners

What do market analysts know about controllers ?

LOL

LOL That is actually legit humour, but give the lad a break shall we, everyone has one of those days where the words do not align. On topic TC, the reason Xbox was able to gather an install base was due to the factors other posters have mentioned, early launch, price point, online infrastructure etc etc etc. Also most of that was Playstations fault, Sony was very cocky and basicly handed Microsoft a large chunk of its market share and now people have embedded themselves into the Xbox camp so moving back to Sony became very difficult and Sony is like that ex girlfriend that is trying so hard to look good even though the relationship ended

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

Xbox has better games, better online. I personally find linear single player games unrewarding, i like the social and competitive aspect of multiplayer. The only game i liked on my PS3 was Infamous, Infamous 2 however got boring real fast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

The great upcoming exclusives

Killer InstinctCrimson Dragon

Fable Anniversary

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Xbox was superior on price point, online infrastructure and launch lineup. When i made my purchasing decision the playstation was very expensive, poor launch lineup and a poor online. Why would I have chosen a PS3.

The only time I have ever play my PS3 is when Naughty God release a decent game. Hence why I have over 50 xbox games and 7 playstation games.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@always_explicit said:

Xbox was superior on price point, online infrastructure and launch lineup. When i made my purchasing decision the playstation was very expensive, poor launch lineup and a poor online. Why would I have chosen a PS3.

The only time I have ever play my PS3 is when Naughty God release a decent game. Hence why I have over 50 xbox games and 7 playstation games.

You have 50 games on xbox because you buy all your multiplatform games on xbox not because it has more high quality games by itself (exclusives) than PS3.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

@casharmy said:

@always_explicit said:

You have 50 games on xbox because you buy all your multiplatform games on xbox not because it has more high quality games by itself (exclusives) than PS3.

if people bought consoles based on high quality games.................WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE OWN NINTENDO CONSOLES???? take a top 10 games list from any legit every-machine gamer (ie not a one console only person, someone who owns them all) i guarantee more then a few will be nintendo games......

XBOX 360 brought high res games sooner then PS3 did with a better controller and a better experience IMO. AU launch of xbox 360 $598, PS3 $998 and a year later!i even bought the HD DVD addon too!! now i own over 70 xbox games since day 1 and only 9 PS3 games since the slim 120gb (needed a cheap blu ray player and wanted to catch some ps3 exclusives). Also IMO, sony games feel and play clunky compared to similar games on xbox. I have my XBOX ONE ready for pickup on day one, and before the PS4 gets released, my Wii U collection will surpass my PS3 collection.....

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I don't know why people keep saying the 360 is cheaper. I bought my PS3 on launch day back in 2006 for the $600. That being said, had I bought an XBox 360 that same day, I would have ended up spending $750 up to this point to have the console and play games online. No BluRay player and I'd have to kit up the controllers I buy on top of that. All for a machine that more or less plays PC ports arguably better than another console and has had exclusives slow to a trickle since 2009 when MS lost the plot over Kinect.

Yesterday, someone tallied up the AAAEs on the XBox 360 over the course of the generation and it was all Halo/Gears/Forza after 2007. For a discriminating gamer (read that as one with sophisticated taste, not a fanboy) who owns a nice gaming PC, the 360 didn't honestly offer a whole lot. I agree with the OP. Of course, I wouldn't buy a console for multiplats, either. I have PC for that.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

I've had all three consoles and a gaming PC since release and the 360 was by far my favourite console... A lot of the PS3 exclusives don't interest me, besides that it's always been a hassle to do anything on the PS3, the Xbox just does it all better, easier and faster. A simple thing like opening up the market place takes ages on the PS3, when it's instant on the Xbox. Then there's slow arse downloads and updates, not to mention installs. All these things, not to mention the superiority of Xbox Live meant that any multiplat game release was always going to be purchased on the Xbox, limiting my time as much as possible with the awful PS3 UI.

When a good exclusive title was released on the PS3, like inFAMOUS, Disgaea etc, I always felt I would have enjoyed them more on the Xbox, due to the aforementioned reasons, and the controller. I remember playing KZ2 and being shocked how it expected me to use the awful bumpers to shoot, instead of the triggers ... Until I realized the triggers were even worse. All this just made what could have been an excellent multiplayer title, just average to me.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Whatever. You guys can puzzle over it all you want but there were things about Xbox and Xbox 360 that were better than PS2 and PS3. But I'll be the first to admit they've screwed up bigtime with Xbox One.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@always_explicit said:

Most of those 50 games you could have gotten on the PS3 though. So it's not much of an argument.

I have both consoles (along with Nintendo's) because that way I don't miss any game. But as far as MS only games.....they aren't that interesting to me for the most. Thus if I had to pick between the two...I'd go Sony.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

As someone who had a PS1, PS2, Xbox and 360, and soon a PS4, i would say it's just a matter of opinion.

Sony does have amazing first party devs, but Xbox and 360 also had great exclusives (Halo, Forza, PGR, Gears...), and many PC games (Half Life 2, Doom 3, KOTOR series, The Witcher 2...), not found on Playstation consoles. I still have to play a Sony shooter as fun as Halo, or a driving game as good as Forza or PGR (Loved the first 3 GT games, though). There are many other factors of preference, like the controller design, the online services, etc...

Then again, i prefer Sony as a company, but those are reason enough for people to support the Xbox systems.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

I much prefered the original xbox over the ps2. It was leagues ahead of it. But as someone posted the cheapest console tends to sell well. The 360 is popular dues to its low price, year early release. and it has the whole mountain dew/doritos brah image associated with it ( why it sells well in USA) as for games, well halo is amazing, gears is trash and forza is great.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By always_explicit

I only have 7 games on the PS3 because it isnt as good as the 360.

Its my opinion and its valid. Hate Hate Hate the UI.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I definitely think that Sony has the better first party games, which is why I also end up buying the PlayStation consoles later on in the gen just to play those exclusives, but the main two reasons why I still prefer the Xbox brand and always buy the Xbox consoles first are:

1. Xbox has the best controller ever and I absolutely hate the PlayStation controller.

2. Xbox Live is the best online service. Now that I'm an adult with all of my gamer friends living over 50 miles away, it is rare that I'm able to get together in the same house with friends to play games, so it is very important that we can have the same great multi-player experience playing games online. Xbox Live has always and continues to lead the way in providing the best online multi-player experience while Sony is always playing catch-up in this area.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Samus3D said:

Some real big hitters on the xbox one.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@kungfool69 said:

@casharmy said:

@always_explicit said:

if people bought consoles based on high quality games.................WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE OWN NINTENDO CONSOLES???? take a top 10 games list from any legit every-machine gamer (ie not a one console only person, someone who owns them all) i guarantee more then a few will be nintendo games......

All AAAE games from consoles this gen (excluding Ninja gaiden sigma and MLB 2009 which were both AAA PS3 games)

PS3 (36)Wii (35)360 (34)

Metal Gear Solid 4

SMG2Halo 3
Uncharted 2SSB. BrawlForza 3
InfamousSMGGears of War 3
Killzone 2WarioWareHalo Reach
Demons SoulsLast StoryForza 2
Uncharted 3Xenoblade

GRAW

LBP2

PD0

God of War 3

Halo 4

Resistance 2

Gears of War 2

LBPHalo 3 ODST
Ni No Kuni
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Xbox and Xbox 360 had loads of things to offer over the Sony counterparts. Xbone....ok, that has **** all.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I bought a 360 because it has less online lag in SF4 as well as more competition. I play that game as a serious hobby, so it was a major consideration.

I feel no sense of loyalty to the platform and plan on going with PS4.

Tadgerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tadgerot
Member since 2013 • 107 Posts

Online gaming.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

Better online and better online games

Better games in general

Comfortable controller

Better price (Wouldn't have been a big deal if the PS3 had a decent launch)

XBox Live Arcade

Achievements were like crack in 2005 - 2007

Sony's systems always age better because the best Sony games are always single player. In 10 years from now someone could pick up the PS3 for the first time and experience its best games without missing out on anything whereas with games like Halo you had to experience the best part of the game in 2007 - 2009. It's partly why people say the Original XBox is awful because most people didn't get to play the games on Live so they just wouldn't know.

I'm strictly talking about pre 2009 as the PS3 has dominated the 360 since then

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

People have different preferences. You should just move on.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

So xbox owners

Already have. Switched my Xbox One preorder at Gamestop to buy games and gear for my PS4 preorder which is at another retailer. The reason I am getting PS4 as a previous XBOX fan? Better hardware, better controller(based off of what EVERYONE is saying" and of course $100 less. Plus, I just feel like starting new with a new bunch of games.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

So xbox owners

Why would the PS4 have better looking multiplats? Even if the PS4 has this mythic "hardware advantage" (seriously, 30-40% isn't sh*t), multiplat studios write games to the lowest common denominator. So, even if you are right, that LCD wold be the XBox one. So, multiplats would look the same across all three (XB1, PC, PS3).

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@MiguelNoche said:

Better multiplayer, better social online system, better controller, bigger online community, and I like Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza better than Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous, and Gran Turismo.

I like Sony exclusives. But, I don't like them enough to switch to PlayStation and give up what the 360 gave me and the XB1 will give me.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@kungfool69 said:

XBOX 360 brought high res games sooner then PS3 did with a better controller and a better experience IMO.

The OG Xbox had 720p support (no upscale, if that's what you're thinking) for a good chunk of games actually, like Soul Calibur II.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@casharmy said:

All AAAE games from consoles this gen (excluding Ninja gaiden sigma and MLB 2009 which were both AAA PS3 games)

PS3 (36)Wii (35)360 (34)

Metal Gear Solid 4

SMG2Halo 3
Uncharted 2SSB. BrawlForza 3
InfamousSMGGears of War 3
Killzone 2WarioWareHalo Reach
Demons SoulsLast StoryForza 2
Uncharted 3Xenoblade

GRAW

LBP2

PD0

God of War 3

Halo 4

Resistance 2

Gears of War 2

LBPHalo 3 ODST
Ni No Kuni
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls

You're missing out on a lot of great Wii games, man.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

When the 360 launched nearly a full year ahead of the PS3, it allowed Microsoft to create a core group of gamers that were social/online centric. That along with a more mature online platform as well as more developer friendly hardware allowed Microsoft to take charge of core multiplats like Call of Duty. Not to mention releasing exclusives like Gears of War and Halo. That core audience continued to grow and was the driving force of the 360's popularity through most of the generation. The 360's done so well because it managed to capture groups of friends, especially in the States. The 360 and XBL simply created a unique and appealing experience.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

Bait thread.

Why can't there be a sticky on this so we don't have to keep wasting band width?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@MiguelNoche:

Halo. I am a big fan, books, comics, games. Fable, loved 1&2, liked 3. Kameo, Gears. Now there are games it shares with PC, but my laptop cant run them. Witcher2, L4D 1&2, among others. I also play some original Xbox titles on my 360 from time to time. I prefer the controller.

always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 always_explicit

@Nonstop-Madness said:

When the 360 launched nearly a full year ahead of the PS3, it allowed Microsoft to create a core group of gamers that were social/online centric. That along with a more mature online platform as well as more developer friendly hardware allowed Microsoft to take charge of core multiplats like Call of Duty. Not to mention releasing exclusives like Gears of War and Halo. That core audience continued to grow and was the driving force of the 360's popularity through most of the generation. The 360's done so well because it managed to capture groups of friends, especially in the States. The 360 and XBL simply created a unique and appealing experience.

Totally agree with this. My 360 is just a seamless and enjoyable experience. I buy a game a take it home and I play it knowing that the online community for said game is going to be great and the features are in place to support it. Achievements, voice chat, parties etc. This was all easy from day one on the 360.

PS3....I buy a game and cant play it for 30 mins because it needs to install updates. Immediately sours the gaming experience.

I also have a serious beef with the UI. Its ugly and unintuitive.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:

Whatever. You guys can puzzle over it all you want but there were things about Xbox and Xbox 360 that were better than PS2 and PS3. But I'll be the first to admit they've screwed up bigtime with Xbox One.

Xbox and PS2? That wasn't even a close competition; PS2 scraped the OG Xbox in every way.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@MiguelNoche:

@MiguelNoche said:

Alot of gamers especially xbox gamers don't like the PS exclusives. reason is they aren't good with game play, its more like an interactive movie. Personally i didn't like TLOU at all, i played the demo of beyond and have no clue how anyone could enjoy that game, I avoided heavy rain at all costs. Wasn't a fan of uncharted or God of war. This comes form someone who has both and is getting a PS4 and X1 but the 360 was my main this gen and all signs point to the X1 being my main this coming gen. Your too much based on your personal opinion. same could be said for xbox only people saying we have halo, gears, state of decay, DR3, Titanfall, Ryse, Project spark, etc etc

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@sukraj said:

@Samus3D said:

Some real big hitters on the xbox one.

That's a fallacy.

Both line-ups are mediocre.

GustavoDALBEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GustavoDALBEN
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

First of all sorry about my english, i hope you understand, still learning.

Better interface (dashboard).

Best Controller on the market.

(these are my fav exclusives)

Geow

Forza 3 4 and horizon (lvl 150 and still in love)

Halo

Ala Wake

The online experience is better on xbox live games, i also have an ps3 and i love uncharted, gt, resistance, god of war and heavy rain. Tlou, infamous, mgs4, killzone and beyond not so much.

Ps3 have better singleplayer/offline games, and xbox have better coop/competitive games. The only game that i felt diferent was demons souls, but now we have dark souls ( even on pc ).

Both systems are great, its really amusing how you kids fight over things like these.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@Wickerman777 said:

Xbox and PS2? That wasn't even a close competition; PS2 scraped the OG Xbox in every way.

Yup it did. the xbox was more powerful by alot, had way more features, a real online service, yet the PS2 outsold it 6 to 1. Why? because the PS3 had an amazing games library.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

You are what is called a blind fanboy. Nothing from MS interests you because you have never given one attempt to have a interest. I guess the other 78 million people that bought the 360 are just idiots.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@casharmy said:

@always_explicit said:

Which amkes sense since the ps3 versions of multiplats were often worse graphically, resolutions, or had graphics settings turned down/off to compensate. Thus, xbox had sales.