Dead Island Riptide: 4.0 at Gamespot.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by super600 (30162 posts) -

If this had a hype thread this would be a super flop.

#2 Posted by Jack-Burton (2303 posts) -
First one was a 7.0 and for all its glitches and annoyances I could not put it down. This must be a lot worse shame really, bargain bin it is.
#3 Posted by lamprey263 (22873 posts) -
The first game got rated harsh by many critics mainly due to a great deal of bugs, but I also read most those reviews and they kept stating how fun the game was so I couldn't help but play it and I thought it was really enjoyable. The only game breaking bug was the crashing causing corrupt save data, but after that was patched it was back to being a blast again. I didn't much care for co-op because your friends yapping away in the headset ruined the immersion for me, and interfered with my own pace of how I wanted to do things, I prefer SP for a game like the original. Anyhow, it isn't so much the ratings I'm looking at for a game like this, it's what the critics actually say. So far the one consistent feature is that if people liked the original then this game will deliver for those people. That sounds like me. Unfortunately I won't be able to get it soon because I'm tight on cash, but once I get a chance I'll be all over it. Anyhow, being a little glitchy I kind of liked in the original. Once I figured out how to make infinite deo-bombs and ammo it got really good.
#4 Posted by lamprey263 (22873 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="dommeus"]

WHO DO YOU VOODOO, BITCH!

dommeus
DRINK BLOOD LIKE A VAMPIAH WITHOUT WAHNING!!!

I just remember picking the Asian woman last time I played it, and in that cutscene I had really manly hands and was feeling up half naked women whilst getting shit faced hahaha. Silly game.

strangely that cutscene couldn't be any of the playable characters as they're all seen from that first person view anyhow, that cutscene very much reminded me of Prodigy's Smack My B*tch Up music video, took me back
#6 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -
Bought the first one when it was on sale on XBL for a tenner. It's alright. Doesn't seem like it needs a DLC tho.
#7 Posted by finalstar2007 (24899 posts) -

Its dead island so no surprise

#8 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

I don't plan on getting it, but on a serious note, I don't understand the hate for dead island. It "not representing the trailer" qualifies for a That 70's show dumbass pic. Not an amazing game, but pretty darn decent, with plenty of content. 

In response to the rating though...ouch lol.

#9 Posted by LastRambo341 (8767 posts) -
I think these games are best with co-op
#10 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

lel

#11 Posted by Sushiglutton (5215 posts) -
Fetch quests and tedious combat makes 4.0 sound pretty generous. Will avoid like the plague.
#12 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Lol Gamespot.

#13 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

lel

Cheleman
#14 Posted by freedomfreak (38827 posts) -
I'll buy 2 copies. It will be AA then, so puh.
#15 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

staying well clear of this game.

#16 Posted by dommeus (9194 posts) -

#17 Posted by freedomfreak (38827 posts) -

dommeus
#18 Posted by dommeus (9194 posts) -
[QUOTE="dommeus"]

freedomfreak

I just remember picking the Asian woman last time I played it, and in that cutscene I had really manly hands and was feeling up half naked women whilst getting shit faced hahaha. Silly game.
#19 Posted by Icarian (1469 posts) -

First one bored me to death in 2 hours, so I'll stay far away from this one. I feel bad for those who liked the first one, if this sequel really is this much worse. 

#20 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="dommeus"]

dommeus

Wasn't it a different character in the first cutscene?

#21 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Sounds fair, the first one was bad and boring, that 7.0 from GS was far too generous. 4.0 is a proper score for a Dead Island game.

Obviously, will stay far away...

#22 Posted by nutcrackr (12393 posts) -
never finished the first but it had some decent aspects.
#23 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Sounds fair, the first one was bad and boring, that 7.0 from GS was far too generous. 4.0 is a proper score for a Dead Island game.

Rocker6

Lol.

#24 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Michael0134567

Lol.

I will not listen to the cheap insults of a peasant with no taste! :evil:

#25 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Lol.

I have better taste than you. Lol hermzits.

#26 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
I remember the first developer interviews about the game, way back in the earlish 2000s - around 03-04 maybe. Shame they never really did much with what they imagined and went straight for the Borderlands meets Dead Rising imitation. Still, as ugly a the games seem I can see why they could be good dumb fun, hittan zombies, runnan about
#27 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
I bought Dead Island for $15 last summer and by then most of the bugs were fixed. The analog combat and loot kept me going after the game went down hill after the resort area. This looked like more of an expansion, but it's priced like one, so I can't complain. I'll pick it up when it drops in price.
#28 Posted by G-Lord (2133 posts) -

The first one was a guilty pleasure, so I might still get this later. I also still like Techland and want to see them live up to their potential eventually.

#29 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9093 posts) -

I got it for $22 so meh... Still playing it.

Just wish I had my old char from the first game lol.

#30 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

lel

Cheleman
indeed
#31 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

To make matters worse, the combat that ties the whole thing together remains largely unchanged from that of Dead Island, which is to say it's massively frustrating.

Please fire this reviewer.

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

Game looked crap anyway, glad the score reflects it. Maybe it will teach them not to keep making crap

#33 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Lol.

Michael0134567

I have better taste than you. Lol hermzits.

:lol: Oh how you wish that were true 

#34 Posted by Badosh (12727 posts) -
A terrible game didn't need a sequel.
#35 Posted by Newhopes (4472 posts) -

I liked the frist game which did get repetitive near the end so will still pick this up after I've finished Fire emblem.

#36 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

not surprised, the original dead island sucked. 

#37 Posted by elbert_b_23 (8247 posts) -
meh its a gs review i stopped caring what they said years ago
#38 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6902 posts) -
The review seems a little bit low. I still need to play the original, and if I like it, I'll give this one a try.
#39 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

I still need to play the originalPurpleMan5000

dont waste your time bro

tumblr_m2wbtrA4Nm1qjsufq.jpg

#40 Posted by Dark_man123 (3829 posts) -

Dead Island, dead in the water.

#41 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

The first one was a decent game. I doubt Riptide is this bad.

#42 Posted by Newhopes (4472 posts) -

It gets alot of hate from people who got duped by the frist trailer.

#43 Posted by zeroyaoi (1881 posts) -
The game looked like a quick cash in from their previous game. It looks like an expansion at best.
#44 Posted by ShoulderOfOrion (3435 posts) -
Masterpiece.
#45 Posted by Badosh (12727 posts) -
Masterpiece. ShoulderOfOrion
Your terrible taste knows no bounds.
#46 Posted by clone01 (24410 posts) -

oof...That's too bad.  I played some of Dead Island, and kind of enjoyed it.  Definitely flawed, but there were some bright spots.

#47 Posted by clr84651 (5352 posts) -

They couldn't build on the first one and make the second one better. Sucks for them. 

#48 Posted by ShoulderOfOrion (3435 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Masterpiece. Badosh

what is your problem brah?
#49 Posted by Badosh (12727 posts) -
[QUOTE="Badosh"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Masterpiece. ShoulderOfOrion

You smell and I don't like it.
#50 Posted by ShoulderOfOrion (3435 posts) -
[QUOTE="Badosh"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Badosh"] Your terrible taste knows no bounds.

You smell and I don't like it.

amoureuse