DayZ dev depressed over what happened with the WarZ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

He exclaimed that the whole thing made him think about quitting developing games completely and not work in the industry anymore.

"From a personal standpoint, this whole 'saga' of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project."

Sad to see such a thing getting to someone developing a similar project. It's a tad strange that it affected him THIS much but still. The damage WarZ has done knows no bounds it seems

Source

#2 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

I would be pretty aggrevated too if someone took a successful idea that I had and completely bastardized it and was acting like a complete scumbag to everyone. This probably hit him hard too since Bohemia is still dealing with the Greek Military that has two of their developers in prison.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (44947 posts) -
Eh, to just stop is a bit silly. The difference between him and that WarZ fella is that he brought joy to God knows how many gamers.
#4 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Eh, to just stop is a bit silly. The difference between him and that WarZ fella is that he brought joy to God knows how many gamers.freedomfreak

Yeah but many associate the games with each other now. And even to the point where searching for DayZ on steam yields WarZ's page. He's probably afraid that if he releases the standalone that it will get slammed too. Which sucks because the standalone was ready for release, waiting for higher ups to get it launched and now he will probably delay it to polish it a bit more. The WarZ has nothing good about it at all so far, done more harm than good

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (44947 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Eh, to just stop is a bit silly. The difference between him and that WarZ fella is that he brought joy to God knows how many gamers.seanmcloughlin

Yeah but many associate the games with each other now. And even to the point where searching for DayZ on steam yields WarZ's page. He's probably afraid that if he releases the standalone that it will get slammed too. Which sucks because the standalone was ready for release, waiting for higher ups to get it launched and now he will probably delay it to polish it a bit more. The WarZ has nothing good about it at all so far, done more harm than good

Yeah, that sure as hell doesn't help. I can understand that.
#6 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26739 posts) -

The thing is, a lot of people confused War Z as the Day Z Standalone copy.

Day Z, from what we know, doesn't cheat users, bans them for no reason, or tries to copy something that has been done before.

Day Z is a good Mod that deserves to be a stand alone product. The Massive Hype around it in the Spring was more than enough to realise that the people love it.

Day Z is NOT The War Z which is plagued by Poor Business Decisions and Bad Marketing.

If this guy is depressed over what happened with The War Z he needs to look at his team and ask himself, "Am I forcing people to pay me $.50 to respawn everytime they die in the game?"

If the answer is no then you already have a more appealing game than The War Z.

#7 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -

Can't he sue them or something? The games and names are way too similar and can easily be confused for each other. Also WarZ is a blatant ripoff...

#8 Posted by 1080pOnly (2032 posts) -

It makes me sad. DayZ is an epic idea but a buggy mod (mostly because the engine was never designed for the epic scope of DayZ) and I am really looking forward to the standalone based on the new Arma3 engine. Rocket, if you read this (I know it's very unlikely), keep the faith man, your idea is simply awesome and will succeed. Screw the haters and screw The War Z and the crapfest it has spawned.

#9 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Day Z, from what we know, doesn't cheat users, bans them for no reason, or tries to copy something that has been done before.

Day Z is a good Mod that deserves to be a stand alone product. The Massive Hype around it in the Spring was more than enough to realise that the people love it.

Day Z is NOT The War Z which is plagued by Poor Business Decisions and Bad Marketing.

If this guy is depressed over what happened with The War Z he needs to look at his team and ask himself, "Am I forcing people to pay me $.50 to respawn everytime they die in the game?"

LegatoSkyheart

But the uninformed people don't know this. If they hear a DayZ standalone is coming and then something like The WarZ shows up on steam some are likely to buy it thinking they're the same.

#10 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

It makes me sad. DayZ is an epic idea but a buggy mod (mostly because the engine was never designed for the epic scope of DayZ) and I am really looking forward to the standalone based on the new Arma3 engine. Rocket, if you read this (I know it's very unlikely), keep the faith man, your idea is simply awesome and will succeed. Screw the haters and screw The War Z and the crapfest it has spawned.

1080pOnly

Where is everyone getting this idea that the standalone is using the Arma III engine? :? Rocket said the engine was the same more or less, it will still look the same, just run better and won't be as clunky.Barely anything on the surface will change but all the technical stuff will be much different

"As discussed previously, this is a massive departure from the previous engine. In many ways, once this phase is completed - one could effectively say that DayZ is running on a new version of the engine. While the graphics may look the same (for now), under the hood so much is being completely rewritten."

You really think they would showcase the new engine first in DayZ rather than the game it was built for?

#11 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Wait, is he depressed that warZ stole his ideas and made a mockery of game developers Or is he depressed about fan/media reactions to the situation?
#12 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
Day Z developed by emos? I mean seriously, "this whole 'saga' of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry", shut up unless you planned on scamming people.
#13 Posted by toast_burner (22950 posts) -

1080pOnly

The stand alone most likely use the Arma 3 engine. The bugs aren't because of the engine not being able to handle large worlds, Arma 2 was a very big game. It's because of the developer. Games are difficult to make, I'd expect no less of an indie game in alpha.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26739 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

seanmcloughlin

But the uninformed people don't know this. If they hear a DayZ standalone is coming and then something like The WarZ shows up on steam some are likely to buy it thinking they're the same.

and a lot of them did I believe. Which is sad cause Day Z is the one that should get all the attention.

#15 Posted by 1080pOnly (2032 posts) -

Where is everyone getting this idea that the standalone is using the Arma III engine? :? Rocket said the engine was the same more or less, it will still look the same, just run better and won't be as clunky.Barely anything on the surface will change but all the technical stuff will be much different

"As discussed previously, this is a massive departure from the previous engine. In many ways, once this phase is completed - one could effectively say that DayZ is running on a new version of the engine. While the graphics may look the same (for now), under the hood so much is being completely rewritten."

You really think they would showcase the new engine first in DayZ rather than the game it was built for?

seanmcloughlin

Meh, either is good for me. I loved the DayZ, it had the best meta game of anything i've ever played. It was brutal, exciting, scary and like little else that has come before. TBH he could make it on an ancient engine as long as I don't die everytime I try to climb down a ladder ;).

Also, Arma3 should launch close to or even before the DayZ standalone. I knpw the timescales he put on it but I don't think he'll meet them given the scale of the project. I don't really care how long it takes as long as it's the game I know he's capable of making.

#16 Posted by 1080pOnly (2032 posts) -

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

toast_burner

The stand alone most likely use the Arma 3 engine. The bugs aren't because of the engine not being able to handle large worlds, Arma 2 was a very big game. It's because of the developer. Games are difficult to make, I'd expect no less of an indie game in alpha.

Not really, the 'bugs' I'm referring to exist in Arma 2 in exactly the same way they exist in DayZ (ladders, entering buildings etc). The Zombies running through walls is a direct consequence of having to use animal AI in order to keep the overheads (system wise) down for a game that was never designed to have hundreds and hundreds of AI's on the same map. I should have explained that by epic I didn't mean size of map, that is the bonus of using the Arma engine and not the drawback.

#17 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

1080pOnly

Meh, either is good for me. I loved the DayZ, it had the best meta game of anything i've ever played. It was brutal, exciting, scary and like little else that has come before. TBH he could make it on an ancient engine as long as I don't die everytime I try to climb down a ladder ;).

Also, Arma3 should launch close to or even before the DayZ standalone. I knpw the timescales he put on it but I don't think he'll meet them given the scale of the project. I don't really care how long it takes as long as it's the game I know he's capable of making.

The Standalone will release likely next month according to a lot of speculation and the hints about it.
Arma III is delayed because of the devs being arrested in Greece, it won't be out until later in the year

#18 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart
Survival zombie games have been done before. Day Z is "new" but copies basic concepts from George A Romero. Also, you dont have to pay 0.50 every time to spawn, simply make a new character (you lose items and everything upon death anywho)
#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

Eh, to just stop is a bit silly. The difference between him and that WarZ fella is that he brought joy to God knows how many gamers.freedomfreak

I can fully understand him. Imagine you are a game developer who puts your heart and soul into creating a game. Then imagine some joker comes along, rips your idea off completely and can get n1 on steam with a scam riding on the succes of your game.

I think I would lose faith in the industry too.

#20 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Some lousy f*cker came in, took his idea, sold his idea, released a blatant, unfished, unpolished, and just overall HORRIBLE quality game, profitted off of so many unfortunate people, treats the critiques and fans like $#!+, AND people got you confused with this guy and his game.

Yeah, I can see where this guy's coming from.

#21 Posted by 1080pOnly (2032 posts) -

The Standalone will release likely next month according to a lot of speculation and the hints about it.
Arma III is delayed because of the devs being arrested in Greece, it won't be out until later in the year

seanmcloughlin

Still, doesn't really change anything I've said. I'm not arguing will you about the engine because I actually don't know what he is doing with it and I actually hope he doesn't release it so soon because it really won't be ready if he does :(.

Lets see though, the premise and vision so far is and has been awesome.

#22 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Can't he sue them or something? The games and names are way too similar and can easily be confused for each other. Also WarZ is a blatant ripoff...

nintendoman562

Satires are completely legal to make.

#23 Posted by klusps (10385 posts) -

I think he is more worried about releasing a buggy build but as long as the game isn't falsely advertised then I won't have a problem buying it.

#24 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

1080pOnly

Still, doesn't really change anything I've said. I'm not arguing will you about the engine because I actually don't know what he is doing with it and I actually hope he doesn't release it so soon because it really won't be ready if he does :(.

Lets see though, the premise and vision so far is and has been awesome.

I know that, but you said you hoped they would release close together, Im pointing out that they likely won't

#25 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Call it something else?