dark souls pc version breaks down the last barrier. 60fps mod

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

assuming you cn handle the mod being on the always questionable mediafire one can now play the game @ 60fps. it has some fps dips but nearly always its possible to play the game now @ 1080p & 60fps (omitting mp).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/17/dark-souls-mod-enables-60fps/

this mod requires the 720p+ resolution mod in order to work,

#2 Posted by gameofthering (10467 posts) -

I might get it some day. Mods seem to be shaping the game up nicely.

#3 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

dfark souls

#4 Posted by platniumgamer (3960 posts) -

i might have to play this "dfark souls" now.

#5 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

i might have to play this "dfark souls" now.

platniumgamer

it costs 10k to buy the game.. obviously you cant handle that :P

#6 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

assuming you cn handle the mod being on the always questionable mediafire one can now play the game @ 60fps. it has some fps dips but nearly always its possible to play the game now @ 1080p & 60fps (omitting mp).

ionusX

Waiting for LE to come in and say that it's more cinematic on XBox so that makes it better.

#7 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

menes777

Waiting for LE to come in and say that it's more cinematic on XBox so that makes it better.

lulz or one of the ps3 trolls to come in and be ignorant to things beyond their four walls

#8 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -
I don't like that it omits the online portion. The online interaction is a huge part of the game and cutting it out is a letdown. Playing it locked at 30Fps with an internal frame buffer of 3850x2160 with SMAA and SSAO already looks very good and allows me to fight phantoms.
#9 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

Ah, good ole pc gaming sh*tting in the faces of all that ancient console hardware. Love it.

#10 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

Ah, good ole pc gaming sh*tting in the faces of all that ancient console hardware. Love it.

#11 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

Nah, I'm fine playing it with 30 fps.

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

I tried it out and when it was at 60 fps it was sensational. Seriously really buttery smooth. BUT it came at the cost of disabling GFWL which meant I couldn't save or load so I had to use a new game every time. That and the framerate doesn't stay at 60 and still dips a lot. You need a very powerful CPU to run the game at a constant 60.

But it's a start

#13 Posted by clyde46 (47595 posts) -
I don't like that it omits the online portion. The online interaction is a huge part of the game and cutting it out is a letdown. Playing it locked at 30Fps with an internal frame buffer of 3850x2160 with SMAA and SSAO already looks very good and allows me to fight phantoms.BPoole96
It's n Alpha at the moment. MP will be coming later.
#14 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3189 posts) -

Lol garbage developers and paid reviewers. 9.5 for a game that needs mods to be playable with PS2.5 graphics.

#15 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Lol garbage developers and paid reviewers. 9.5 for a game that needs mods to be playable with PS2.5 graphics.

Mr_BillGates

HERP DERP !!

#16 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I don't like that it omits the online portion. The online interaction is a huge part of the game and cutting it out is a letdown. Playing it locked at 30Fps with an internal frame buffer of 3850x2160 with SMAA and SSAO already looks very good and allows me to fight phantoms.clyde46

Yeah I read up on it a few days ago. If they can get it functioning properly with GFWL then I will definitely get it
#17 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]I don't like that it omits the online portion. The online interaction is a huge part of the game and cutting it out is a letdown. Playing it locked at 30Fps with an internal frame buffer of 3850x2160 with SMAA and SSAO already looks very good and allows me to fight phantoms.clyde46

But the problem is when you add it your game becomes vastly more responsive and in MP you could be playing against someone at 30 fps meaning there is an unfair advantage. Also Durante himself said to get it working disables GFWL which could get you banned.

Im a more than fine staying at 30 fps with all the visual effects than risking a poorly performing 60 fps version

#18 Posted by themajormayor (24301 posts) -
Too bad it's such a garbage game :(
#19 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I tried it out and when it was at 60 fps it was sensational. Seriously really buttery smooth. BUT it came at the cost of disabling GFWL which meant I couldn't save or load so I had to use a new game every time. That and the framerate doesn't stay at 60 and still dips a lot. You need a very powerful CPU to run the game at a constant 60.

But it's a start

seanmcloughlin

Yeah, so I hear. If I had the game, I wouldn't bother, the price is too much, the mod is in alpha state, and it removes on-line functionality...

But as you said, it's a start, by the time I get the game, who knows, maybe it'll get fully fleshed out :)

#20 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

But it's a start

Rocker6

Yeah, so I hear. If I had the game, I wouldn't bother, the price is too much, the mod is in alpha state, and it removes on-line functionality...

But as you said, it's a start, by the time I get the game, who knows, maybe it'll get fully fleshed out :)

Yeah hopefully. They've already done a LOT more with the game than people thought possible

#21 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -
Very impressive,looks like it´s the version to get.
#22 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Too bad it's such a garbage game :(themajormayor

Again, HERP DERP !!

#23 Posted by Bangerman15 (1978 posts) -
idk if it's worth the losing online functionality for.. but I will definitely download it once that gets fixed
#24 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10825 posts) -
lol it feels funny playing it at 60fps. After playing Demon's and Dark at 30 so much, it just is.
#25 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

You should really get that butthurt checked, it doesn't look good... :(

#26 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Too bad it's such a garbage game :(Rocker6

Lab reports came back last week and I'm afraid Mr. themajormayor's case of butthurt is terminal. Its only a matter of time... :(
#27 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Too bad it's such a garbage game :(BPoole96

Lab reports came back last week and I'm afraid Mr. themajormayor's case of butthurt is terminal. Its only a matter of time... :(

What a shame, he'll be dearly missed by all the SW... :(

Still, not suprising. with all that butthurt bottled up...

#28 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Sony needs to set up a Butthurt Rehabilitation Centre in PS Home so the cows can go there to unwind before their symptoms get worse

#29 Posted by kidcool189 (4307 posts) -

This latest set of files allows you to play online with 60fps. Played with it for about an hour and everything was working flawlessly so far. Credit to elpibepiola from the steam forums for arranging this to work properly online.

Some may need to tone down some of the enhancements in durante's dsfix mod to get fully consistent 60 fps, totally worth it imo. Also seems to pretty much rely on raw cpu power to stay at 60.

Amazing whats all been done so far by the community.

#30 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] Lab reports came back last week and I'm afraid Mr. themajormayor's case of butthurt is terminal. Its only a matter of time... :(BPoole96

Sony needs to set up a Butthurt Rehabilitation Centre in PS Home so the cows can go there to unwind before their symptoms get worse

:lol::lol: you guys :P

#31 Posted by parkurtommo (27725 posts) -
Please ban this user rite nao
#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

This latest set of files allows you to play online with 60fps. Played with it for about an hour and everything was working flawlessly so far. Credit to elpibepiola from the steam forums for arranging this to work properly online.

Some may need to tone down some of the enhancements in durante's dsfix mod to get fully consistent 60 fps, totally worth it imo. Also seems to pretty much rely on raw cpu power to stay at 60.

kidcool189

Hot damn, just tried this out and I'm speechless. Fully working WITH GFWL is pretty great. Thanks for the link. Also yeah it's really really hard to keep it at a constant 60 fps and Durante said to get everything to work in his fix along with the constant 60 fps you would need a 6GHz CPU :P but that's to get it flawless.

I am more than happy to have it in action and while most times are 30 fps it's always nice to see it go to 60 in calm areas or with few enemies

#33 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Too bad the game is so unoptimized. With my amd card and it's garbage drivers, i'm surprised it even runs at 30fps.

#34 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

Too bad the game is so unoptimized. With my amd card and it's garbage drivers, i'm surprised it even runs at 30fps.

Masculus
I'm running an AMD card (2GB 6950) and have no frame issues whatsoever. I'm even playing in 1440p
#35 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

BPoole96

I'm running an AMD card (2GB 6950) and have no frame issues whatsoever. I'm even playing in 1440p

I have a 6850, that might be the case. Are you managing to lock it at 60 fps?

#36 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Masculus"]

Masculus

I'll try it right now and see what kind of frame I get. I might tone down some of the settings in DSFix though
#37 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Imagine what From Software/Bamco could have done if they just spent a day doing some real work on it.

#38 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Masculus"]

Masculus

Okay I just tested it. I moved my internal frame buffer from 3850x2160 down to 2560x1440, SMAA at 2, DOF at 810 and SSAO at 2.

I did a run through the Undead Burg and average about 45 FPS. It would be at 60 sometimes as well. Funny thing is that it will not drop below 30fps, so having this on doesn't really have any sort of drawback. When it does run at 45fps+, the animations looks great. They already were good to begin with but the frame rate brings them out even more. I definitely think you should give it a shot.

Also, I went down in Blighttown and couldn't really get higher than 35fps there. I figured I would test it at one of the more troublesome areas of the game.

#39 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

The problem I found with this is on normal when the frames go below 30 down to say 15, the game just looks choppy. But with this fix if it goes below 30 the game goes into slow motion. It doesn't get choppy or laggy it just goes really really slow. Which is annoying. Also when it's at 60 fps it looks odd, like everything isn't at 60 fps but just sped up. Animations look really odd and like everything is in fast mode. 30 FPS is much more pleasing on the eye for this game I think

#40 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="kidcool189"]

seanmcloughlin

Hot damn, just tried this out and I'm speechless. Fully working WITH GFWL is pretty great. Thanks for the link. Also yeah it's really really hard to keep it at a constant 60 fps and Durante said to get everything to work in his fix along with the constant 60 fps you would need a 6GHz CPU :P but that's to get it flawless.

I am more than happy to have it in action and while most times are 30 fps it's always nice to see it go to 60 in calm areas or with few enemies

That's it?

Nothing some liquid nitrogen can't do! :P

#41 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] I'm running an AMD card (2GB 6950) and have no frame issues whatsoever. I'm even playing in 1440pBPoole96

Okay I just tested it. I moved my internal frame buffer from 3850x2160 down to 2560x1440, SMAA at 2, DOF at 810 and SSAO at 2.

I did a run through the Undead Burg and average about 45 FPS. It would be at 60 sometimes as well. Funny thing is that it will not drop below 30fps, so having this on doesn't really have any sort of drawback. When it does run at 45fps+, the animations looks great. They already were good to begin with but the frame rate brings them out even more. I definitely think you should give it a shot.

Also, I went down in Blighttown and couldn't really get higher than 35fps there. I figured I would test it at one of the more troublesome areas of the game.

I have tried it and it seens very unstable. I agree that 60 fps is much better, but the drops are quite annoying. Huge drops - 60 to 30 - like that makes the 30 fps' feel quite jerky.

#42 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

Masculus

I have tried it and it seens very unstable. I agree that 60 fps is much better, but the drops are quite annoying. Huge drops - 60 to 30 - like that makes the 30 fps' feel quite jerky.

I don't seem to mind it that much. The sensitivity on my gamepad is pretty low as it is so I will probably keep it installed. I'm sure it will be executed in a more stable manner now that Durante and some others are working on it.
#43 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

Masculus

Yeah going from one to the other quite often is very jarring and uneasy on the eyes.

#44 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

It only works in Offline mode though...

Why would I play in Offline mode?

#45 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

SPYDER0416
Why not? I played the entirity of Demon´s Souls offline and it´s basically the same experience,and I had no interested in being invaded when I was playing my game.
#46 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

MrYaotubo

Why not? I played the entirity of Demon´s Souls offline and it´s basically the same experience,and I had no interested in being invaded when I was playing my game.

Same here...

I mean, the game's on-line concept is a neat idea, I understand the appeal for some, but then, I don't feel like you're missing out on anything signifficant by playing off-line...

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

SPYDER0416

It works in online mode now. Check a few posts up for links

#48 Posted by clyde46 (47595 posts) -
Some games look better at 30FPS, I find on my pc, GTA4 still runs ok when the frame rate drops to 30FPS. Sleeping dogs on the other hand feels horrible to play if it's drops below 40FPS.
#49 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

The problem I found with this is on normal when the frames go below 30 down to say 15, the game just looks choppy. But with this fix if it goes below 30 the game goes into slow motion. It doesn't get choppy or laggy it just goes really really slow. Which is annoying. Also when it's at 60 fps it looks odd, like everything isn't at 60 fps but just sped up. Animations look really odd and like everything is in fast mode. 30 FPS is much more pleasing on the eye for this game I think

seanmcloughlin

That is not a surprise.
It's a shame the developers put zero effort in the PC version. Dark Souls is not the greatest looking game out there, but it has a lot of beauty in it.

#50 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Rocker6

Same here...

I mean, the game's on-line concept is a neat idea, I understand the appeal for some, but then, I don't feel like you're missing out on anything signifficant by playing off-line...

Actually, with the Covenant system in place, a sizeable portion of Dark Souls' best content is online. Demon's Souls had you missing out on co-op and PvP for sure, but with the Arena, covenants, tendency system and various forms of summoning and invasions, its a pretty major part of the game to miss out, just for 60fps (which is honestly not a big deal unless I'm playing a fast paced online shooter).

Missing out on all of the online just for 60fps would be a waste for some stubborn standard, but its working now apparently.