Dark Souls II PC lead platform 60 fps,Consoles still 30- Consoles am cry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

Regarding Dark Souls II , the engine was not created with the next-generation Focus. Development of the first Dark Souls was particularly long, the engine was obsolete. It is for this reason that we wanted to start from scratch with Dark Souls II, to be able to fully express what we wanted. I know that the next generation of consoles are recurring themes this year, but the potential of the Xbox 360 and PS3 has not yet been fully exploited. This is why our attention is focused on current machines. For the moment, we do not believe in a port of Dark Souls II or in any other capacity on future machines.

Yet there will still distinguish between consoles and computers, as the co-director of the project, Yui Tanimura, we confirmed to our searching questions that will play at 60 frames per second on PC while the rate will remain at the 30 for consoles. Yes, FromSoftware wanted this time to be very clear about it and has promised that the frame rate will not fall under any circumstances, since it is something I have taken great care and effort.

Thank you based Souls. Sounds like the game will be a much better one for these changes too, less drops are always welcome as the framerate is the ONLY problem with DS1 for me

Links are all spanish though sorry but the GAF have a thread on it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538551

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-dark-souls-ii-A108297.html

http://www.vandal.net/avances/pc/dark-souls-ii/20225/1

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/15249/3796/0/dark-souls-ii/

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

Well, controllers have been a part of PC gaming since the birth of PC gaming, so I wouldn't so far as to say it needs part of its "console past"

Ly_the_Fairy

Nowadays, controllers are seen as a staple for consoles.

The controls for the Souls series started out being designed for current gen controllers. The targeting system doesn't work well for M&K (I played through DS with only my keyboard).

Just expressing my opinion that these games play better with a controller.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I wonder if I can play the game at 120fps. I remember I had to cap Dark Souls @ 60fps because anything higher and the engine would go crazy. I want 120fps :)ShadowDeathX

It just depends how the game is designed.

When caps are put in place the developer will make sure that things like sound, animations, and whatever don't look, or sound, off while playing at a choppy framerate. And in those cases it's not simply enough to remove a cap because the game will actually stutter every so often (at higher framerates) as it tries to catch up with itself, so-to-speak. You'd really only see caps in console games simply because it'll make the game look, and play a little nicer.

Given that DS2 will be PC-first then there is honestly no reason for them to put a cap at all since obviously higher framerates are more lifelike, and don't require the dev to go in, and tweak the sound and animations to line up properly. I don't think I've ever heard of any dev putting a cap on a PC game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]I wonder if I can play the game at 120fps. I remember I had to cap Dark Souls @ 60fps because anything higher and the engine would go crazy. I want 120fps :)Wickerman777

When caps are put in place the developer will make sure that things like sound, animations, and whatever don't look, or sound, off while playing at a choppy framerate. And in those cases it's not simply enough to remove a cap because the game will actually stutter every so often (at higher framerates) as it tries to catch up with itself, so-to-speak. You'd really only see caps in console games simply because it'll make the game look, and play a little nicer.

Given that DS2 will be PC-first then there is honestly no reason for them to put a cap at all since obviously higher framerates are more lifelike, and don't require the dev to go in, and tweak the sound and animations to line up properly. I don't think I've ever heard of any dev putting a cap on a PC game.

I think I heard before that 72 fps is the most the human eye can pick up on anyway.

Not true, the human eye isn't a machine with a set limit that can be identified with number crunching. 

If I play at 120 fps on my 120Hz monitor (actually 144Hz but still) I can tell a difference between that and 60 fps. 

How bout you judge when you actually see it done rather than "Well I heard this and that". Even so 60>>30 

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

seanmcloughlin

I think I heard before that 72 fps is the most the human eye can pick up on anyway.

Not true, the human eye isn't a machine with a set limit that can be identified with number crunching. 

If I play at 120 fps on my 120Hz monitor (actually 144Hz but still) I can tell a difference between that and 60 fps. 

How bout you judge when you actually see it done rather than "Well I heard this and that". Even so 60>>30 

I'll admit that I have a hard time telling 100fps from 120fps. Anything above 98fps and the gain in "smoothness" starts to diminish for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

I agree. kb/m is horrible for something like the Arkham games and Assassin's creed. It works but not very well. Anything in first person is far better with kb/m for that precision, though some TPS like dead space are better with mouse too

Ly_the_Fairy

kb/m is the best way to play the Arkham games. It plays just like a FPS, but instead of a gun on the screen you have Batman :P

Fvck no, the flying/gliding alone is crap with kb/m. I couldn't do any of the harder gliding challenges that way/ As soon as I popped in my gamepad I did them all first try

arkham city was totally fine with kb/mAcidThunder

Fine is not an inspiring word TBH

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

I agree. kb/m is horrible for something like the Arkham games and Assassin's creed. It works but not very well. Anything in first person is far better with kb/m for that precision, though some TPS like dead space are better with mouse too

seanmcloughlin

kb/m is the best way to play the Arkham games. It plays just like a FPS, but instead of a gun on the screen you have Batman :P

Fvck no, the flying/gliding alone is crap with kb/m. I couldn't do any of the harder gliding challenges that way/ As soon as I popped in my gamepad I did them all first try

Well, I'm most certainly glad I didn't play the version of the Arkham games that you did, because honestly the reason I loved the games as much as I did was how well they played with keyboard and mouse.

I even convinced plenty of my friends to play the Arkham games on PC (after they had all played the 360 version), and it was unanimous that keyboard/mouse was by far the best way.

I think you're the first person I've ever heard say keyboard/mouse was terrible for that game.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Well, I'm most certainly glad I didn't play the version of the Arkham games that you did, because honestly the reason I loved the games as much as I did was how well they played with keyboard and mouse.

I even convinced plenty of my friends to play the Arkham games on PC (after they had all played the 360 version), and it was unanimous that keyboard/mouse was by far the best way.

I think you're the first person I've ever heard say keyboard/mouse was terrible for that game.

I did hear plenty of complaints about kb/m for Arkham City on the Interent, but I'm with you here, played the game with kb/m as well, and enjoyed every moment of it. Went for a 100% completion, didn't have any major problems with challenges, gliding or overall control.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Did a google search and there's numerous articles about it. Will take scientists' word on it rather than some random kid on an internet forum.

seanmcloughlin

You don't "see" FPS so to speak. The human eye can detect up to and beyond 200FPS, notice I said detect and not see. Its your brain that puts together the frames into motion. The more frames there is, the smoother the motion is.

Plus if you saw everything on a monitor at 200 fps for say a week (I mean everything) and then went back to 60 fps you would definitely see a difference. It has a lot to do with how accustomed to it you are

I've never seen a 200 fps comparison to 60 fps before. Its definitely something that people notice though, not necessarily see. When you get acclimated to that stuff it tends to be much more noticable.

Edit: Found a 120 to 60. Pretty noticable for the most part, although either would be completely warranted haha.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

So let me see

First souls games comes a PS3 exclusive

Second one comes on PS3 and 360 and much later on pc with no extra features

Third one not only is coming on pc the same time but pc actually is the base platform

I guess fourth one will come first on Pc and then if it will on consoles

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Iantheone

just got a ps3? lol yeah, you got a hell of alotta stuff to play. the ps3 library is as unique and expansive as any console this gen, bar none.lazerface216
Ive played the vast majority of multiplats and 360/pc exclusives. I've just missed out on most of the PS3 ones this gen. I got the PS3 mostly for the Souls games, MGS, Ni No Kuni, Last of us, Heavy Rain, things like that. PS4 isnt going to be backwards compatible and PS3s are pretty cheap now. Not being   backwards compatible kinda sold the PS3 to me.

Sony is might have a hard time getting people to swap over to the PS4.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iantheone
So long as it plays well with no framerate drops I'm happy :D
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
PC "The place where games are meant to be played"
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sucks for consoles since they may not have backwards compatibility and they would have to have two machines hooked up in order to play Dark Souls 2. Oh well, I'll definitely be getting the PC version.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
PC "The place where games are meant to be played"MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.Nanomage

Yep lol

PC players were classed as beggars cos we petitioned for the game, then when the game comes it looks noticeably better just to have fromsoft turn around and develop it for PC players and port it for consoles lol pretty funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Sucks for consoles since they may not have backwards compatibility and they would have to have two machines hooked up in order to play Dark Souls 2. Oh well, I'll definitely be getting the PC version.

BPoole96

I'm glad they went current gen with it, means we get it sooner. And yeah PC day 1 all over my face :D

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.seanmcloughlin

Yep lol

PC players were classed as beggars cos we petitioned for the game, then when the game comes it looks noticeably better just to have fromsoft turn around and develop it for PC players and port it for consoles lol pretty funny

FS probably played the game with DSFix in 60fps and were blown away by how much better it was :P

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Am cry? What the hell does that mean?

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Consoles don't cry.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

The path this series has taken is pretty funny,from PS3 exclusive to console multiplat with no PC version,to PC version being released later as a half assed port that even then,with the help of the community became the best version of the game to a full day one multiplat with the PC version taking lead development and the console versions being ports.

That´s kind of amusing,no matter how you look at it. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Am cry? What the hell does that mean?

GD1551

It's internet speak yo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1

The path this series has taken is pretty funny,from PS3 exclusive to console multiplat with no PC version,to PC version being released later as a half assed port that even then,with the help of the community became the best version of the game to a full day one multiplat with the PC version taking lead development and the console versions being ports.

That´s kind of amusing,no matter how you look at it. :P

Arach666

Pretty hilarious yeah

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

To be honest, it's weird to think this series wasn't on PC in the first place looking back. Running it with DSFix and some texture mods it feels so perfectly at home on the platform.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ly_the_Fairy

To be honest, it's weird to think this series wasn't on PC in the first place looking back. Running it with DSFix and some texture mods it feels so perfectly at home on the platform.

psn8214

Well, I'm sure plenty of Japanese developers don't quite realize how big PC is in the rest of the world, or at least aren't concerned with them considering Japanese devs build for the Japanese audience first which is practically console/handheld exclusive, and then give it to the rest of the world.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Iantheone

psn8214
Better played with a controller though, so it still needs some of its console past on Pc ;)
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Iantheone
Better played with a controller though, so it still needs some of its console past on Pc ;)

360 controller into PC; problem solved
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

PC "The place where games are meant to be played"MFDOOM1983

Yeah, have fun paying out the ass for it and fussing with drivers.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Iantheone

Well, controllers have been a part of PC gaming since the birth of PC gaming, so I wouldn't so far as to say it needs part of its "console past"

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AcidThunder
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="psn8214"]

-RocBoys9489-

360 controller into PC; problem solved

Logitech works too
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rocker6

This is no news, any proper PC game uses 60 FPS... only the worst of the worst ports end up capped at 30 FPS.

Ever since DS II was announced as a multiplat with the PC version releasing simultaniously with console versions, there was no doubt about 60 FPS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Iantheone

I'm fine with that, seen as the game still does 1080p 60fps with or without a gamepad ;)

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.seanmcloughlin

Yep lol

Pretty dumb on their part if that's the case as 90% of the PC players that petitioned for it will end up pirating it.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I remember in the thread yesterday people said that the footage had to be on consoles, boy were they wrong.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I wonder if I can play the game at 120fps. I remember I had to cap Dark Souls @ 60fps because anything higher and the engine would go crazy. I want 120fps :)
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rocker6

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.Wickerman777

Yep lol

Pretty dumb on their part if that's the case as 90% of the PC players that petitioned for it will end up pirating it.

The "Dark Souls on the PC" petition has been signed by ~93,000 people. Now, From Software announced the PC version sold some 300,000 copies.

Your "stats" are way off! ;)

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
well that escalated quickly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]So now the consoles are the ones getting the port lol.Wickerman777

Yep lol

Really? where are your sources or numbers to back that up?

Clear numbers back up the opposite like what Rocker just posted

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Yep lol

Rocker6

The "Dark Souls on the PC" petition has been signed by ~93,000 people. Now, From Software announced the PC version sold some 300,000 copies.

And apparently that´s only digital numbers,it´s not counting retail,and all in just a few short months.
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Yep lol

Rocker6

300,000? That's it? 300,000 would be considered a complete flop on consoles. That just reinforces the idea that it must have been pirated a lot.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AcidThunder

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

300,000? That's it? 300,000 would be considered a complete flop on consoles. That just reinforces the idea that it must have been pirated a lot.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Hermits are getting a bit carried away with this one, developer clearly states the current gen machines are the focus. It's not like the game will be designed to make the most of high end PC hardware, it's still a current gen console game first and foremost and the final result will reflect that. If it was a PS4/720/PC release or a PC exclusive then we would be seeing a much different looking game. Still good news that the PC version is being developed concurrently though, it will be the version to get if you have the option.
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Yep lol

seanmcloughlin

Lol, I don't have any sources. It's just common knowledge. Everyone knows PC gaming is a haven for piracy because it's so easy to do. That's like asking me what my source is for the sky being blue.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

This seems to be happening quite a bit recently. :D

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

It was a late and a very sloppy port... furthermore, the PS3+360 versions moved somewhere around 1 million copies, IIRC.

When you take all that into the account, plus "only" ~93,000 people signing the petition, those 300K on the PC start to look pretty good. And let's not forget they're DD sales, and those bring more profit straight to the developer.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#49 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

360 and PS3? wow they crazy. In a few months all i care about is PS4.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

Wickerman777

Lol, I don't have any sources. It's just common knowledge. Everyone knows PC gaming is a haven for piracy because it's so easy to do. That's like asking me what my source is for the sky being blue.

I wonder that,even with so much piracy some of the best selling games this gen are on the PC,odd isn´t it?