Dark Souls II Announced! - New Info up!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Did you not read the article that tonitorsi posted? The new directors flat out state that they plan on making the game more approachable, and that they want to see the series become as popular as Elder Scrolls. I mean these dudes didn't even beat around the bush like most developers. They just straight up said "lol, hey core fanbase, f*ck you. We're casualizing your favorite games, lollollol *troll face*".

Master_ShakeXXX

"more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.

Everything you just mentioned as a possibility, would be a bad thing. Do you even know why we like these games? We like them because there is no sh*tty video game story forced upon us. We like them because they hand us the controls and say f*ck you, go do something now". Boy, if you're gonna respond to a veteran fan of these games you best have a basic understanding for why it is we appreciate them in the first place. You're clueless son.

Get outa here mean. Seriously... please leave! :P

What is wrong with more story? You loved MGS4 and RE4.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#302 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Did you not read the article that tonitorsi posted? The new directors flat out state that they plan on making the game more approachable, and that they want to see the series become as popular as Elder Scrolls. I mean these dudes didn't even beat around the bush like most developers. They just straight up said "lol, hey core fanbase, f*ck you. We're casualizing your favorite games, lollollol *troll face*".

Fossil-

"more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.

Agreed. I'm not worried about the game being more approachable just yet. There are plenty of things that can be done to make the game better without killing the challenge of it. A better story would not hurt, nor would NPCs who actually give you guidance rather than speaking in ways that are extremely vague or even completely inane. Exploration was part of the challenge of DkS, but not so much Demon's Souls. So making the world a little easier to understand and navigate is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not completely linear. And TES has some of the worst combat mechanics ever conceived, so I don't think they'll even come close to that. The games are completely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to game mechanics.

People like you are the reason why Dark Souls 2 will end up being just like every other sh*tty and generic action RPG. You people simply don't understand what it is about these games that make them unique and different from everything else. You want it to be the f*cking same as everything else.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] "more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.NaveedLife

Everything you just mentioned as a possibility, would be a bad thing. Do you even know why we like these games? We like them because there is no sh*tty video game story forced upon us. We like them because they hand us the controls and say f*ck you, go do something now". Boy, if you're gonna respond to a veteran fan of these games you best have a basic understanding for why it is we appreciate them in the first place. You're clueless son.

I don't want more story in a Souls game. A big part of their charm is the mystery of it all, and what it leaves up to the player's imagination.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I don't want more story in a Souls game. A big part of their charm is the mystery of it all, and what it leaves up to the player's imagination.

I have not played Dark Souls at all (I will buy it when it is on sale again this christmas) so I cannot judge that, but I beat Demons Souls, and the ending was awful, and it left a bit to be desired all around. WIth that said, I am not saying it should have tons of story shoved in it and scenes all over. Something like Ocarina of Time is good in my opinion. It never feels intrusive or overdone for the game, and the story is unfolded mostly as you play. Now take a game like SKyward Sword and Twilight Princess for example in contrast, which have long openings with a lot of tutorials, scenes and so on. I don't want that. I like how Ocarina of Time kinda throws you in, but still tells its story and gives you a tutorial through you playing it. Plus a small scene every now and then is nice. I think this is the approach a Souls game should take. SImilar to that of a Diablo game in a sense. Except much better than DIII's story (Diablo 1 had the best atmosphere and approach).

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

way to hard n such a pain in the @ss to get anywhere in the game

its a pass for me ... dying 50 million times is not my idea of fun ... i took on a bet to see if i couldn't beat dark souls n i sure couldn't ... or didn't really want to die 200 more times to do it

this games has no appeal while its good its just not that fun

ReadingRainbow4
Because you suck? Great reason.

It's actually pretty good reason for him to ignore the game, if you suck and don't care about improving your skill, better stop wasting your time. Though I find him pretty stupid to brag about his suckiness.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
They better not **** this game up..
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
a new dark souls is always welcome but whats up with demons souls?
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#308 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="Omega-316"]

Why so it can be PS3 exclusive?? boo hoooo. Dark Souls is the better game. Thats why theres a sequel.

the only people who like demon's souls more are just ps3 fanboys. If dark souls was exclusive you would dry hump it.

ReadingRainbow4

Not exactly, I love demon souls a bit more for just the sole fact that it has the tower of latria, one awesome area. That's one thing about darksouls, I kind of feel that the level design wasn't as diverse due to having it all be intertwined, it was still a great game but parts of demons souls I just liked more.

Although I personally prefer Dark Souls overall because of how the world is all connected and because armor is actually useful there, Tower of Latria still gives me goosebumps. There was no area in Dark Souls that was this atmospheric and memorable. Another excellent level in Demons Souls was 5-2.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 BlbecekBobecek

I have not played Dark Souls at all (I will buy it when it is on sale again this christmas) so I cannot judge that, but I beat Demons Souls, and the ending was awful, and it left a bit to be desired all around. WIth that said, I am not saying it should have tons of story shoved in it and scenes all over. Something like Ocarina of Time is good in my opinion. It never feels intrusive or overdone for the game, and the story is unfolded mostly as you play. Now take a game like SKyward Sword and Twilight Princess for example in contrast, which have long openings with a lot of tutorials, scenes and so on. I don't want that. I like how Ocarina of Time kinda throws you in, but still tells its story and gives you a tutorial through you playing it. Plus a small scene every now and then is nice. I think this is the approach a Souls game should take. SImilar to that of a Diablo game in a sense. Except much better than DIII's story (Diablo 1 had the best atmosphere and approach).

NaveedLife

I liked how Demons and Dark Souls dealed with the story. It gives me simillar feel that I have when I visit a ruin of a middle-age castle in real life (there are tons of them in my vicinity since I live in Europe). The feeling that there are TONS of story based on the placement of various structures, etc., but noone remembers most of it and those people who might know more about it dont want to tell you. :)

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BlbecekBobecek

I liked how Demons and Dark Souls dealed with the story. It gives me simillar feel that I have when I visit a ruin of a middle-age castle in real life (there are tons of them in my vicinity since I live in Europe). The feeling that there are TONS of story based on the placement of various structures, etc., but noone remembers most of it and those people who might know more about it dont want to tell you. :)

But these games are not set in current time and a realistic world. You are not wielding a sword or slinging fireballs either I assume :P.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 BlbecekBobecek

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

But these games are not set in current time and a realistic world. You are not wielding a sword or slinging fireballs either I assume :P.

Im not sure I understand what you mean, but to be clear - My point wasnt that Dark Sould storytelling is "realistic" (uhm), but that the feeling of mystery is built by the fact that there is story behind almost every single stone lying on the ground in the Valley of Drakes and every single wooden footbridge in New Londo ruins, but the game doesnt serve you all of the story on a silver plate. It focuses more on history behind the places you visit and characters you encounter than on the actual story of the player as a protagonist.

The metaphor with me visiting a ruin of a castle was purely illustrative.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#313 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

In short, more Dark Souls is always good. And with it being announced for current gen consoles, here's hoping it'll release next year.

As for whether it'll be 'casualised' or not, well they will fail if they forget their roots. Having said that, both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have difficulty levels, the only difference being that the difficulty is hidden within the game. Play on pure white tendency in Demon's Souls = Easy mode(especially with co-op), whilst playing on Pure black tendency offline = Hard as Balls mode. With Dark Souls too, playing co-op makes things way easier. Half-way through the game things became easier too what with how strong you could get.

If the sequel can iron those things out, even if that means imposing a difficulty level, I'm fine with that. I'm not too elitist to worry about an easier mode for others. Nothing wrong with enjoying the story in these games if that is your preferred area over the gameplay. It's part of why I like the Souls series too anyway. People orgasmed over the new Sif content in the DLC, and that was enhanced by a cutscene.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#314 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

Yeah, +1 on this. What is it with people trying to change a franschies that clearly works and sells for a certain fanbase. Crytek did that with Crysis 2 and as far as I heard the sales were not amazing. I love a good story and have just finished The Walking Dead, this does not mean I want my Souls games to change with story, quests and dialogue.

I personally have never been this excited about an upcoming game while at the same time being absolutely terrified that we've already seen the best from this series. Epic generic fantasy action focused trailer worries me, these new directors are talking Newspeak that sends red warning flags all over the place for me, and finally the whole idea of "Dark Souls 2" gives me all the wrong vibes; this sould have been called "XXXX Souls" and nothing else, with zero clear lore connection to previous Souls games.

I pray to all the Gods that don't exist that I am wrong and worried for no reason. That the next gameplay trailer will be in same cohesive whole that feels like a Souls game. What people don't understand is that Souls games are like Mario or Zelda games; a total work of art "Gesamtkunstwerk".

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#315 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Hopefully this time the PC version has the greenlight from the start, and they can give it proper mouse and keyboard controls and graphic adjustment settings. The PC version of DS1 was a good first attempt once the necessary mods are installed, although hopefully for the sequel it will not need mods in order to look and play the best.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Day 1 PC purchase.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#317 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If there's no difficulty settings, I don't care for the game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#318 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

i'm sorry, i must apologize. i didn't apply for my official dark souls fanclub member card, i'm obviously not on the same level as you.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

If there's no difficulty settings, I don't care for the game.

Venom_Raptor

noob.jpg

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Master_ShakeXXX

have you played dark souls? it has a pretty obvious, tangible story. there is actually very little mystery left to it, as the game's lore is very, very rich and you can learn a lot about it by paying attention to the game. improving on the story THAT IS ALREADY THERE is, as the very word "improvement" implies, a good thing. giving some basic directions early on for the new players is, once again, an improvement, as it does not affect in anyway anything past THE F*CKING TUTORIAL. hell, even an offline-only easy mode would make it approachable without hurting the veterans.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#321 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

a new dark souls is always welcome but whats up with demons souls? ultraking

Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and those games have far too much emphasis on gameplay and not enough on QTEs, scripted events, and linear level design to be a proper PS3 exclusive.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 BrunoBRS

theSADmafioso

Yeah, +1 on this. What is it with people trying to change a franschies that clearly works and sells for a certain fanbase. Crytek did that with Crysis 2 and as far as I heard the sales were not amazing. I love a good story and have just finished The Walking Dead, this does not mean I want my Souls games to change with story, quests and dialogue.

I personally have never been this excited about an upcoming game while at the same time being absolutely terrified that we've already seen the best from this series. Epic generic fantasy action focused trailer worries me, these new directors are talking Newspeak that sends red warning flags all over the place for me, and finally the whole idea of "Dark Souls 2" gives me all the wrong vibes; this sould have been called "XXXX Souls" and nothing else, with zero clear lore connection to previous Souls games.

I pray to all the Gods that don't exist that I am wrong and worried for no reason. That the next gameplay trailer will be in same cohesive whole that feels like a Souls game. What people don't understand is that Souls games are like Mario or Zelda games; a total work of art "Gesamtkunstwerk".

1- i guess you didn't like demon's souls' trailer then. after all, there is action! ugh, why don't they make it about what the game really is about... the... uuh... stuff you do when you're not fighting. 2- only reason dark souls isn't called demon's souls 2 is because sony owns the rights, and they wanted it to be multiplatform. also, complaining that "the title is wrong" is the worst thing you could possibly complain about. maybe next you'll complain that the font on "press start" is wrong? 3- you've seen a CGI trailer. and absolutely nothing else. and instead of being excited that they announced the game, you're freaking out because you assume they'll butcher the franchise because "that dude said elder scrolls", as if dark souls 2 would become skyrim.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] "more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.BrunoBRS

i'm sorry, i must apologize. i didn't apply for my official dark souls fanclub member card, i'm obviously not on the same level as you.

I guess I can excuse your insolence, but just this one time. I forgive you.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 theSADmafioso

1- i guess you didn't like demon's souls' trailer then. after all, there is action! ugh, why don't they make it about what the game really is about... the... uuh... stuff you do when you're not fighting.

2- only reason dark souls isn't called demon's souls 2 is because sony owns the rights, and they wanted it to be multiplatform. also, complaining that "the title is wrong" is the worst thing you could possibly complain about. maybe next you'll complain that the font on "press start" is wrong?

3- you've seen a CGI trailer. and absolutely nothing else. and instead of being excited that they announced the game, you're freaking out because you assume they'll butcher the franchise because "that dude said elder scrolls", as if dark souls 2 would become skyrim.BrunoBRS

1. Loved Demon's Souls trailer, the difference being in that Demon's Souls the trailer was more effective in showing of action and badassery in a way that was moody, bleak and consistent. No breaking of arrows like they were nothing for example. Note the difference in mood and world visuals as well. One is like Berserk and the other is like Skyrim.

2. They had a chance to make a game that every time they made it they were forced to come up with new worlds and settings. This would be intresting and would lead them not to be able to lean back on existing lore. Now like you say I hope it won't be a problem since there is so much unexplored lore but it is a minor annoyance for me yes. I don't want to play Dark Souls 3, 4, 5. I like new IPs. Sue me!

3. I'm more excited about a new Souls game than anyone I know, that is the reason why I'm too afraid to be a fanboy and praise this as the second coming. Demon and Dark Souls were perfect games for me and while I want changes I want changes that don't lead them down the dumbed down, tutorial ridden, cinematic path that I've had to suffer all this gen. Still like I said and you, and I agree with the point that so far it's just a lackluster CGI trailer for me and I hope the gameplay will blow me away. The thing that worries me is that Demon & Dark Souls had a consistent presentation in mood and setting from the first trailers until release. I'm excited but am trying to be cautious since I don't want to experince the dissapointment of seeing my favorite series take a turn for the worse.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

1- i guess you didn't like demon's souls' trailer then. after all, there is action! ugh, why don't they make it about what the game really is about... the... uuh... stuff you do when you're not fighting.

2- only reason dark souls isn't called demon's souls 2 is because sony owns the rights, and they wanted it to be multiplatform. also, complaining that "the title is wrong" is the worst thing you could possibly complain about. maybe next you'll complain that the font on "press start" is wrong?

3- you've seen a CGI trailer. and absolutely nothing else. and instead of being excited that they announced the game, you're freaking out because you assume they'll butcher the franchise because "that dude said elder scrolls", as if dark souls 2 would become skyrim.theSADmafioso

1. Loved Demon's Souls trailer, the difference being in that Demon's Souls the trailer was more effective in showing of action and badassery in a way that was moody, bleak and consistent. No breaking of arrows like they were nothing for example. Note the difference in mood and world visuals as well. One is like Berserk and the other is like Skyrim.

2. They had a chance to make a game that every time they made it they were forced to come up with new worlds and settings. This would be intresting and would lead them not to be able to lean back on existing lore. Now like you say I hope it won't be a problem since there is so much unexplored lore but it is a minor annoyance for me yes. I don't want to play Dark Souls 3, 4, 5. I like new IPs. Sue me!

3. I'm more excited about a new Souls game than anyone I know, that is the reason why I'm too afraid to be a fanboy and praise this as the second coming. Demon and Dark Souls were perfect games for me and while I want changes I want changes that don't lead them down the dumbed down, tutorial ridden, cinematic path that I've had to suffer all this gen. Still like I said and you, and I agree with the point that so far it's just a lackluster CGI trailer for me and I hope the gameplay will blow me away. The thing that worries me is that Demon & Dark Souls had a consistent presentation in mood and setting from the first trailers until release. I'm excited but am trying to be cautious since I don't want to experince the dissapointment of seeing my favorite series take a turn for the worse.

1- "breaking arrows" and falling dead at the end. the trailer starts with him bleeding, ffs. and it's not like skyrim. if you paid attention, you'd notice that it's the painted world of ariamis, down to the bridge and the castle. 2- so if someone sells you the exact same game, under a different title, you're fine with it. i don't think you understand what an IP is. 3- i recommend you rewatch the trailer. there are more allusions to dark souls' lore in that trailer than you give it credit for. me and a friend spent hours breaking it down and discussing what each thing could mean.
theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 theSADmafioso

1- "breaking arrows" and falling dead at the end. the trailer starts with him bleeding, ffs. and it's not like skyrim. if you paid attention, you'd notice that it's the painted world of ariamis, down to the bridge and the castle. 2- so if someone sells you the exact same game, under a different title, you're fine with it. i don't think you understand what an IP is. 3- i recommend you rewatch the trailer. there are more allusions to dark souls' lore in that trailer than you give it credit for. me and a friend spent hours breaking it down and discussing what each thing could mean.BrunoBRS

Understand that unlike you can have two thought at the same time, I can be excited about a game and worried about what I'm hearing at the same time. I don't have to fanboy over something until they show me something that actually makes me excited. Unlike you I understand the nature of IP and how mkaing new stuff up leads to guess what different outcomes than last time and unlike you the title Dark Souls actually means nothing to me without promising content being shown along with it.I don't understant why you're obssessed with trying to make me agree with you. I don't and won't. I said my piece about how I feel about this game with the current information that's been presented.Respect the fact that other people feel differently about things unlike you and move on, good sir.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

1- "breaking arrows" and falling dead at the end. the trailer starts with him bleeding, ffs. and it's not like skyrim. if you paid attention, you'd notice that it's the painted world of ariamis, down to the bridge and the castle. 2- so if someone sells you the exact same game, under a different title, you're fine with it. i don't think you understand what an IP is. 3- i recommend you rewatch the trailer. there are more allusions to dark souls' lore in that trailer than you give it credit for. me and a friend spent hours breaking it down and discussing what each thing could mean.theSADmafioso

Understand that unlike you can have two thought at the same time, I can be excited about a game and worried about what I'm hearing at the same time. I don't have to fanboy over something until they show me something that actually makes me excited. Unlike you I understand the nature of IP and how mkaing new stuff up leads to guess what different outcomes than last time and unlike you the title Dark Souls actually means nothing to me without promising content being shown along with it.I don't understant why you're obssessed with trying to make me agree with you. I don't and won't. I said my piece about how I feel about this game with the current information that's been presented.Respect the fact that other people feel differently about things unlike you and move on, good sir.

where did i say you have to be a fanboy? you were outright comparing the game to skyrim because "it has snow". i pointed out that it's actually a location from the original dark souls. you were complaining that he was breaking arrows as if they meant nothing, when the trailer shows him bleeding heavily, and falling dead because of the fight. all you're sounding like is someone who is trying to find things to complain about without thinking about it. you think a change in name is a change in IP. it's not. dark souls 2 could be called void souls or whatever, and it would still be the same game. the same ideas, the same concepts, and definitely the same IP.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

Eh was kinda hoping for a sequel to Demons Souls.

Stringerboy

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 theSADmafioso

where did i say you have to be a fanboy? you were outright comparing the game to skyrim because "it has snow". i pointed out that it's actually a location from the original dark souls. you were complaining that he was breaking arrows as if they meant nothing, when the trailer shows him bleeding heavily, and falling dead because of the fight. all you're sounding like is someone who is trying to find things to complain about without thinking about it. you think a change in name is a change in IP. it's not. dark souls 2 could be called void souls or whatever, and it would still be the same game. the same ideas, the same concepts, and definitely the same IP.BrunoBRS

I apologise if I was unfair but your attitude seemed to want to me to like everything that I've seen & heard so far; which I don't. I like two things in the trailer, the female giving the feather was mysterious and nice and the scene of death that you mentioned. The things that worried me from the trailer were these, breaking of arrow in typical badass manner, generic fantasy music (go listen to announcement for Dark Souls music), very little functional thinking r.e. where is the shield, lame heavy voice over, too much focus on dragons that made it feel like a Skyrim trailer. Like I mentioned in a previous post, this is about the whole and the whole doesn't feel like a whole at this point like it did with the previous games.

On the other hand, like I said to begin with, I hope this is just an initial let down due to PR guys making a CGI trailer and bad translations from the new director and that this will be as awesome as I expect from a Souls game. Gameplay trailer should clear up if this is something I will buy on Day 0 or increase my worry.

Oh! I did not know Demon's and Dark Souls were the same game. Sorry. I thought I saw differences since they were different IPs.;)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 BrunoBRS
there is as much voice over in DS2 as there is in DS1. actually. DS2 has 3 lines. DS1 had the entire intro narrated. including the "LOOK AT THIS HUGE ASS WAR BETWEEN GIANT DRAGONS AND FLYING LIGHTNING SPEARS". breaking an arrow is about as functional as it gets. you can't get it out because that would make you bleed heavily. but you can't have that thing getting in the way of your movement. there is a single dragon in the whole trailer. and that dragon is strikingly similar to kalameet from DS1. if you don't remember, DS1 states in its very intro about the age of the dragons. it just sounds more and more that you just didn't pay attention not only to the trailer, but to dark souls itself, and now you're just trying to find things to complain about.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 BrunoBRS

Oh! I did not know Demon's and Dark Souls were the same game. Sorry. I thought I saw differences since they were different IPs.;)

theSADmafioso
oh and this. it's kind of pathetic that you use that argument when it's pretty well known that dark souls isn't called demon's souls 2 solely because sony owns the name.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I really hope they keep the story telling vague, I'm not here to play your wanabe greek epic From, this won't be the next odyssey and certainly not in Vidya form.

These are things that I want from to keep out of a souls game.

1. Heavy narrations along with scripted cutscenes. Having a cutscene before a boss is fine, but leave it at that.

2. "Epic," sequences, if you throw qte's in I swear we are never speaking again.

3. A lighter story, I want a continuation of the Grim-Dark worlds that you guys are so good at creating. I have a feeling if this is a prequel then humanity might just be in better shape, I'd rather be walking over corpses then talking to towns folk and doing sh1tty fetch quests.

The nexus was awesome in Demons Souls, but mostly because it tied into the lore.

I like uncharted, can't say I like skyrim but I see the appeal of a large environment but please From, keep your own identity, that includes keeping with a difficulty that is both punishing but also very fair.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 theSADmafioso

BrunoBRS

I'm not going to adress you more since clearly everything is awesome so far for you and that's fine, but I remain worried and you're not changing my mind with anything you've brought as counter points.

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts

[QUOTE="Fossil-"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] "more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.Master_ShakeXXX

Agreed. I'm not worried about the game being more approachable just yet. There are plenty of things that can be done to make the game better without killing the challenge of it. A better story would not hurt, nor would NPCs who actually give you guidance rather than speaking in ways that are extremely vague or even completely inane. Exploration was part of the challenge of DkS, but not so much Demon's Souls. So making the world a little easier to understand and navigate is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not completely linear. And TES has some of the worst combat mechanics ever conceived, so I don't think they'll even come close to that. The games are completely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to game mechanics.

People like you are the reason why Dark Souls 2 will end up being just like every other sh*tty and generic action RPG. You people simply don't understand what it is about these games that make them unique and different from everything else. You want it to be the f*cking same as everything else.

Right I played the games, but I have no idea why people like them... :roll: Get off your high horse nerd. I'm not saying they should add tons of exposition or have NPCs hold your hand through the game. But having a more focused storyline isn't a bad thing just because you think it is. Dark Souls already had plenty of it, it was just pushed into the background most of the time.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="ultraking"]a new dark souls is always welcome but whats up with demons souls? BPoole96

Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and those games have far too much emphasis on gameplay and not enough on QTEs, scripted events, and linear level design to be a proper PS3 exclusive.

Sony never placed any importance on the best game to ever grace the PS3, shame really. They would be smart if they could get From Software to do a Demons Souls 2 as a PS4 launch exclusive, that would get me to buy a PS4 on launch day. But then asking Sony to be smart is just too much.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="ultraking"]a new dark souls is always welcome but whats up with demons souls? themyth01

Sony never placed any importance on the best game to ever grace the PS3, shame really. They would be smart if they could get From Software to do a Demons Souls 2 as a PS4 launch exclusive, that would get me to buy a PS4 on launch day. But then asking Sony to be smart is just too much.

Yep, Sony really missed a huge opportunity to secure one of the best RPGs this generation as an exclusive franchise. None of the big 3 have a really good first party RPG, so Sony having that would have been huge. Now that Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are on PC, I have even more reason to continue to ignore my PS3.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Yep, Sony really missed a huge opportunity to secure one of the best RPGs this generation as an exclusive franchise. None of the big 3 have a really good first party RPG, so Sony having that would have been huge. Now that Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are on PC, I have even more reason to continue to ignore my PS3.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson from the first game. But I'm not having good feelings about the PC port. (cause you know that's all they are going to do is port the console version.)

straightedge_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 straightedge_X
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts
I wonder when Sony is going to do something with the Demon's Souls IP.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
Hope they're not trying to make it "hard" again lol themajormayor
You are a far better gamer than I, as I am still struggling through dark souls.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Sony never placed any importance on the best game to ever grace the PS3, shame really. They would be smart if they could get From Software to do a Demons Souls 2 as a PS4 launch exclusive, that would get me to buy a PS4 on launch day. But then asking Sony to be smart is just too much.heretrix

Hopefully they've learned their lesson from the first game. But I'm not having good feelings about the PC port. (cause you know that's all they are going to do is port the console version.)

Even at launch though the PC version was exactly the same as the console version except it had a more stable frame rate. The modder (Durante) that fixed it had the resolution fixed with 24 hours of release. Within a month there was SMAA, SSAO, AF, etc which made the game look beautiful. I would definitely go for the PC version again rather than the console.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

I wonder when Sony is going to do something with the Demon's Souls IP.straightedge_X

They shouldn't. Unless From is at the helm, then just drop it.

They can't even sell it to From, because they've created an incredibly popular Demon's Souls alternative.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Even at launch though the PC version was exactly the same as the console version except it had a more stable frame rate. The modder (Durante) that fixed it had the resolution fixed with 24 hours of release. Within a month there was SMAA, SSAO, AF, etc which made the game look beautiful. I would definitely go for the PC version again rather than the console.

pretty much. at worse, the PC version is the same as the console versions.
straightedge_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 straightedge_X
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

[QUOTE="straightedge_X"]I wonder when Sony is going to do something with the Demon's Souls IP.lundy86_4

They shouldn't. Unless From is at the helm, then just drop it.

They can't even sell it to From, because they've created an incredibly popular Demon's Souls alternative.

It's a shame. I can't get enough Souls games.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#344 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] "more approachable" could mean a ton of things. for example, they could have an interesting, overarching story this time, alongside all the amazing lore and backstory, since lack of a proper main story is one of the things that drove many people away. that's certainly what i felt he meant. it could also mean they're working on a better learning curve, rather than giving you the controls and saying "f*ck you, go do something now". and "being as popular as elder scrolls" doesn't mean "being elder scrolls", unless you're stup-- oh.NaveedLife

And at the same time I'm pretty sure even shake wouldn't want other games trying to attempt Metal Gear Solids high level of bullsh1ttery or Resident Evil 4s shooting gameplay where you can't move and shoot. Dark Souls doesn't need to really fix its story telling. The game aims for more environmental and interactive story telling. It's there if you want to look for it. It's not forced upon you like other franchises. Could From Software make something interesting out of the other method? Sure. But is it actually necessary, an improvement, or keeping with what Dark Souls has built its excellence on? No.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#345 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

None of the big 3 have a really good first party RPG,

BPoole96

Xenoblade.

Inb4 something something jrpg something something.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

jg4xchamp

Xenoblade.

Xenoblade isn't a system seller though. Although it is good, most gamers do not even know that it exists. Both Souls games sold pretty well globally and Sony securing one exclusively would be great for them. If Demon's Souls 2 was a PS4 launch title I would buying one right away. Xenoblade, while good, is very niche in comparison.

Demon's Souls is also a jrpg so I can't really bash that genre.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Xenoblade.

Xenoblade isn't a system seller though. Although it is good, most gamers do not even know that it exists. Both Souls games sold pretty well globally and Sony securing one exclusively would be great for them. If Demon's Souls 2 was a PS4 launch title I would buying one right away. Xenoblade, while good, is very niche in comparison.

well, there's, you know, pokemon.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Xenoblade.

BrunoBRS

That's on handhelds though and isn't really in competition with the 3 consoles. That is in competition with the Vita and smartphones

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

That's on handhelds though and isn't really in competition with the 3 consoles. That is in competition with the Vita and smartphones

lol wut???

Not alot of people care Demons Souls existed either. Niether Demons Souls/Dark Souls nor Xenoblade are system sellers as well

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

jg4xchamp

And at the same time I'm pretty sure even shake wouldn't want other games trying to attempt Metal Gear Solids high level of bullsh1ttery or Resident Evil 4s shooting gameplay where you can't move and shoot. Dark Souls doesn't need to really fix its story telling. The game aims for more environmental and interactive story telling. It's there if you want to look for it. It's not forced upon you like other franchises. Could From Software make something interesting out of the other method? Sure. But is it actually necessary, an improvement, or keeping with what Dark Souls has built its excellence on? No.

Ditto.