Dark Souls 2 officially a month a later for pc

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -
#3 Edited by Wasdie (49751 posts) -

Piracy rates have nothing to do with it. Pirates on the PC don't get discouraged and buy a console version, they often don't even have a console to buy the game on.

Correlation does not imply causation.

They probably want an extra month or so of PC specific debugging. I'm sure so far the game's QA has been pretty general. Fixing scripts, making sure all of the game functions properly, touching up art, and all of that stuff. Their engine was already built for the PS3/360 and the PC version was crap. They probably worked hard on updating their PC version and now need some extra time to do PC specific testing before they launch. They aren't a massive developer so their resources are probably spread pretty thin.

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16456 posts) -

Yeah piracy or

“We're conscious of the high expectations from PC gamers and are working with FromSoftware in ensuring that the PC version of Dark Souls 2 offers the best experience possible," said marketing chief Mathieu Piau.

PC gamers have higher standards

#5 Edited by Cyberdot (3523 posts) -

If it means good polish unlike the original then I don't see a problem.

Consoles shouldn't be given the priority though.

#6 Posted by TheFadeForever (1732 posts) -

@Wasdie:

Pretty much and this is From Software first actual pc port and they said its will be 4x the resolution at 60fps with dedicated mouse and keyboard support

#7 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Because this game wasn't deliberately made to exist to be played on consoles right ? Demon Souls was definetly planed to be made for PC but they said it'll be easier to be made for PS3, and yes piracy is an issue in this type of game though pirating this game only hinders your experience considering is best played online with everyone else.

#8 Posted by Animal-Mother (26774 posts) -

The article says absolutely nothing about piracy TC.

#9 Posted by MBirdy88 (8054 posts) -

I'm ok with that given that titanfall is out in a week.... and by the looks of things Dark Souls 2 on PC will be by far the best version. whats the rush?

#10 Posted by lostrib (35887 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Cyberdot said:

Because this game wasn't deliberately made to exist to be played on consoles right ? Demon Souls was definetly planed to be made for PC but they said it'll be easier to be made for PS3, and yes piracy is an issue in this type of game though pirating this game only hinders your experience considering is best played online with everyone else.

Actually from the sound of it, DS2 was deliberately made to be played on PC: http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-360/news/g51671efa40b72/Dark-Souls-II-PC-is-lead-platform-will-run-at-60-FPS/

#11 Posted by Cyberdot (3523 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Joedgabe said:

@Cyberdot said:

Actually from the sound of it, DS2 was deliberately made to be played on PC: http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-360/news/g51671efa40b72/Dark-Souls-II-PC-is-lead-platform-will-run-at-60-FPS/

Oh, that's excellent.

#12 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@lostrib: ofcourse, it's probably easier to port from the PC to the consoles through a PC development however it doesn't imply that the consoles won't get priority release. The franchise itself after all was made for consoles and it's were it's strongest player base would be. Besides they did mess up that PC port so extra time to get it right can only be good.

#13 Posted by adamosmaki (9510 posts) -

My friends, after much speculation, due to incredibly high piracy rates (most likely) the game will come out a month after the console versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-dark-souls-2-pc-release-date-confirmed

So let me see. A game that wasnt on pc then it came to pc after fan request nearly a year after consoles and this time it comes only 1 month after consoles and yet somehow you claim ownage. Yeah right. Console exclusives are a think of the past

Wanna bet Dark souls 3 is gonna come the same date as consoles

#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

My friends, the old "time to make it great" is a fairly common smoke screen to make pc gamers feel good about themselves.

It's fairly obvious. everyone agrees.

#15 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

More way for them to make money too. A lot of PC gamers are buying it on console to play it day 1 and still buying it for the PC too.

#16 Posted by TheFadeForever (1732 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Lets see a developer that never worked on a actual pc port in the past trying to make a good one this time around

#17 Posted by lostrib (35887 posts) -

My friends, the old "time to make it great" is a fairly common smoke screen to make pc gamers feel good about themselves.

It's fairly obvious. everyone agrees.

Actually, it looks like almost no one agrees with you

#18 Posted by lostrib (35887 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@lostrib: ofcourse, it's probably easier to port from the PC to the consoles through a PC development however it doesn't imply that the consoles won't get priority release. The franchise itself after all was made for consoles and it's were it's strongest player base would be. Besides they did mess up that PC port so extra time to get it right can only be good.

That's pretty much their reasoning for the later release date. But one thing, "it's" is not possessive

#19 Posted by blackace (20580 posts) -
#20 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -
#21 Posted by Mr-Powers (282 posts) -

Console is priority, that's where the money is at.

#22 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@mr-powers:

Yes because the superior pc version with all those feature isn't? Don't forget console isn't the lead platform.

#23 Posted by heretrix (37347 posts) -

Well, that's cool. I wasn't getting it right away anyhow.

#24 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

I played Demon's Souls on the PS3 (obviously) and then Dark Souls there as well but if it's only a month wait I think I can hold out for the Steam version. Dark Souls on the PC looked really amazing once you applied DSFix, and the framerate was extremely solid.

#25 Posted by padaporra (3406 posts) -

Well, being delayed for the PC hardly guarantee a well optimized game. On the other hand, it can't possibly be a worse port than the original Dark Souls.

#26 Edited by Snugenz (11854 posts) -

I'm in no rush for the game so i'm happy they're taking their time to do it right on the PC.

#27 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4326 posts) -

my friend, u talk complete bs. they need more time to optimise game for pc, this has nothing to do with piracy. 'master race' is used to waiting for games anyway so i doubt they care, 1 month is like 1 hour to them

#28 Posted by SteXmaN (433 posts) -

My friends, after much speculation, due to incredibly high piracy rates (most likely) the game will come out a month after the console versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-dark-souls-2-pc-release-date-confirmed

Explain why the console version is available on torrent sites right now ? Same thing with CLoS2,Thief,South Park

"PC & Steam version of Dark Souls 2 will benefit from PC capabilities with increased texture resolution and an enhanced frame rate option. On top of that, From Software have been working to perfectly adapt the game for a mouse & keyboard combo."

Can't wait for the superior version...

#29 Edited by Masculus (2834 posts) -

Increased texture resolution. Yessssssssssss!

#30 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Glad I pre-ordered the PS3 version too. No way I would be able to wait over a month

Also the first part of the prologue is released if people wanna watch. Just a story set up CG intro thing

#31 Edited by pelvist (4718 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Incredibly high piracy rates? Its already been pirated for XBOX 360 since last night. This happens ALL THE TIME with new releases on consoles, so why didnt they delay the 360 version?

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@pelvist said:

@uninspiredcup: Incredibly high piracy rates? Its already been pirated for XBOX 360 since last night. This happens ALL THE TIME with new releases on consoles, so why didnt they delay the 360 version?

Why do you people waste your time on him?

#33 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

@pelvist said:

Because someone on the internet is wrong.

#34 Posted by Postosuchus (153 posts) -

If this means we will get more than 720p and 30fps locked this time, then they can delay it half a year for all I care.

#35 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Because someone on the internet is wrong.

Someone on the internet is being intentionally wrong to get a rise out of an easily rustled fanbase.

#36 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3644 posts) -

It's released first one consoles because of Sony/MS and their investors. The PC is secondary because it's not a proprietary brand.

#37 Posted by flashn00b (2919 posts) -

I think they want the PC version to look like a PS4/Xbox One release.

#38 Edited by pelvist (4718 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

@pelvist said:

Good question. I know I shouldnt feed the trolls ( and i usually dont ) but I did have time to burn.

#39 Posted by enzyme36 (1513 posts) -

Perfect...this gives me a month with Reaper of Souls prior to

#40 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Piracy rates have nothing to do with it. Pirates on the PC don't get discouraged and buy a console version, they often don't even have a console to buy the game on.

Correlation does not imply causation.

They probably want an extra month or so of PC specific debugging. I'm sure so far the game's QA has been pretty general. Fixing scripts, making sure all of the game functions properly, touching up art, and all of that stuff. Their engine was already built for the PS3/360 and the PC version was crap. They probably worked hard on updating their PC version and now need some extra time to do PC specific testing before they launch. They aren't a massive developer so their resources are probably spread pretty thin.

I would agree with this. The last pc port was so poor that they have stated the desire to make up for it with this one.

#41 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

£39.99 on steam. Attempting to overcharge as well as delay.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16456 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

I'm ok with that given that titanfall is out in a week.... and by the looks of things Dark Souls 2 on PC will be by far the best version. whats the rush?

Because, according to consolites, a game is outdated a week after its release.

#43 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Master Race...always trailing behind the consolites.

"See you in a month, guys!"

Waves

#44 Posted by MBirdy88 (8054 posts) -
#45 Edited by lawlessx (46642 posts) -

Master Race...always trailing behind the consolites.

"See you in a month, guys!"

Waves

and let me guess..after a month the game is no longer special or worth talking about..right?

#46 Posted by with_teeth26 (6123 posts) -

As much as the delay pains me, I have a six week contract thats just starting now, I'll have more time to play it then anyways.

Its 50 dollars for us in North America which is pretty reasonable, and you can get it even cheaper in some places. Best I've seen in 40 bucks which I'm sure is well worth it.

#47 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4639 posts) -

A Master Race Edition need extra time :D

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Or more like the version wasn't complete enough yet and they focused more attention on the console version first and THEN the PC one considering their last port was a pile of hot trash and they don't want to repeat that

#49 Posted by lawlessx (46642 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

Or more like the version wasn't complete enough yet and they focused more attention on the console version first and THEN the PC one considering their last port was a pile of hot trash and they don't want to repeat that

only to be mostly fixed by one guy hours after it was released. No way do they want a repeat of that

#50 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

only to be mostly fixed by one guy hours after it was released. No way do they want a repeat of that

Not only that but it was being pre-emptively fixed by that one guy before the game even came out, he knew exactly what needed to be done to make it happen. It was really embarrassing for them.