Dark Souls 2 next gen version listed by Tesco (DARN)

• 106 results
#1 Edited by Blabadon (26033 posts) -

Because, you know, the last gen version isn't just about four months old

I'm playing this wonderful, wonderful game on my PS3 and man, would I give anything to have all those textures reach a level that would allow for fuller immersion, rather than the realistic look it's going for, yet can't achieve due to simplistic textures, geometry, and just last gen-iness in most areas. Spice that all up similar to the way GTA V is doing? Cool beans.

Still beans though, because I just got the first of the four main souls needed and the amount of progress achieved, especially today, would feel much less significant if a next gen, better playing and looking version were announced so soon. Sigh, the life of an entitled first world gamer.

So what's your thoughts System Wars? Happy to see a RPG that could definitely use better graphics and textures potentially have them? Feeling slighted that your progress may be halted on older consoles? Don't see From Software, a company not particularly known for its hardware achievements, doing this?

#2 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

So another remaster on "next" gen systems?

#3 Posted by equanox214 (128 posts) -

if thats true i cant wait to pick it up. a smoother frame rate will do it wonders!

#4 Posted by cainetao11 (17015 posts) -

I haven't bought Dark Souls 2 yet. I'm still sick of it.

#5 Posted by lostrib (35080 posts) -

Not really surprised

#6 Edited by getyeryayasout (7221 posts) -

I was a split short and curly away from buying it off PSN since it's on sale for $39.99. Glad you posted this, will wait.

#7 Posted by Basinboy (11071 posts) -

I'd bite on a Souls compilation for $60, but DS2 standalone?

Thanks but no thanks.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (26033 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Not really surprised

I am, this is From we're talking about. Considering how hard of a time they have with PC porting and even getting games to run smoothly on PS3/360, I'm surprised they out of all companies went for this (if so).

#9 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Not really surprised

I predict that 40% of next gen titles are basically remaster of last gen...

#10 Edited by princeofshapeir (13850 posts) -

Why not just buy the PC version, it's so well-optimized that I think a laptop could run it at 60 FPS

EDIT: Also, I'm sure this isn't real, because of this interview during E3.

#11 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3017 posts) -

Might give it a go if they do enough improvements and include the DLC.

#12 Posted by Vaasman (11293 posts) -

I don't know why they would bother, the game sold well enough on last gen and they already have a current-gen project they are working on. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort to me.

#13 Edited by silversix_ (14129 posts) -

What i was saying before the game even came out. this milking train is here and here to stay. Staying on pc because dark souls 2 without sweetfx/gedosato looks like a washedout pos even maxed out

#14 Posted by DocSanchez (1584 posts) -

Truly epic game. I'm not that far off completing it. Got around to playing it fully recently and I'm onto Drangleic Castle. Not sure I'd pay extra for next gen though. A compilation, maybe. An upgrade, maybe. Not a standalone game for full price. One of the best games of last gen but things are not going to get any better.

#15 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (596 posts) -

Consolites will gladly pay.

At this pace, better just wait for PS5 and play all PS4 exclusives at 4K.

#16 Posted by Cranler (8797 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

I don't know why they would bother, the game sold well enough on last gen and they already have a current-gen project they are working on. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort to me.

It will probably just be the pc versions max settings so it's an easy cash grab.

#17 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2689 posts) -

So basically , Dark Souls 2 last gen version now with E3 lighting = Remastered next gen version .

#18 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2689 posts) -

So basically , Dark Souls 2 last gen version now with E3 lighting = Remastered next gen version .

Consolites will gladly pay.

At this pace, better just wait for PS5 and play all PS4 exclusives at 4K.

Good point

#19 Posted by Epak_ (6765 posts) -

That's cool, should have made the PC version just that, a next-gen version. Still playing the first DS on PC, having lots of fun with it although yesterday I lost some 30,000 souls after beating Gaping Dragon. Ooooohhh what I could have done with those souls, damn it.... :(

#20 Edited by KungfuKitten (20906 posts) -

Seems like a trend to make people pay twice for one game.

#21 Posted by AcidTango (542 posts) -

How about new games for the XBOX ONE and PS4 instead? Seriously they are almost 1 year old and yet they are mostly getting games that are already on the XBOX 360 and PS3.

#22 Posted by superbuuman (2716 posts) -

Eh! have some self control & not buy it when you already have/played the previous version. Don't see any issues with it..vote with your wallet. :P

#23 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25012 posts) -
#24 Edited by dommeus (9242 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

I'd bite on a Souls compilation for $60, but DS2 standalone?

Thanks but no thanks.

If they included the 'kill all enemies in an area 10 times and they disappear' feature from DS2 and actually fixed the multiplayer so I could summon people (aimed at the terrible GFWL PC version), I would totes buy again.

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (7211 posts) -

So does this mean we actually get to play the game that was initially advertised?

#26 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

DS2 modded version released as Remastered version....hmmm interesting.

#27 Posted by gameofthering (10153 posts) -

It will either be the PC version or the E3 version that has the good lighting.

#28 Posted by freedomfreak (39419 posts) -

I'm gonna need a lot more than that, especially with FS stating they have no interest in bringing this over to X1/PS4.

#29 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4078 posts) -

Lol Watch Bloodborne kill it dead. The difference will be too muchb for people to handle.

#30 Posted by bobbetybob (19213 posts) -

How about new games for the XBOX ONE and PS4 instead? Seriously they are almost 1 year old and yet they are mostly getting games that are already on the XBOX 360 and PS3.

Well new games take time and money, porting a bunch of games across takes both but nowhere near as much.

#31 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17005 posts) -

figured there was a strong chance that would happen. went with PC version and it plays really well even on my 4 year old laptop.

#32 Posted by aroxx_ab (9313 posts) -

That is nice, hope all 3 DLC's is included. I have not bought DS2 yet so this is good news :D

#33 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10614 posts) -

Its nothing personal, its just business, I knew there was going to be a "Next-gen" very soon but They kinda are d!cks for not telling us that.

#34 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17005 posts) -

Its nothing personal, its just business, I knew there was going to be a "Next-gen" very soon but They kinda are d!cks for not telling us that.

get a Wii U

#35 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1582 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Probably. The stupidest part is that PC could have easily handled the lighting and particle effects from teh demo, but was gutted aswell.

Guess not buying was a a smart move. Not that'll probably have time to play anyway, sadly. This and GTA 5 next gen version where my predictions, and it seems i'll be right. All that's left is the Uncharted HD collection.

#36 Edited by jake44 (1977 posts) -

Now people with next gen systems can be disappointed as well!

#37 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2466 posts) -
#38 Edited by clone01 (24571 posts) -

Seems like a trend to make people pay twice for one game.

How are they making someone pay? Don't have to buy it if you don't want.

#39 Posted by Chutebox (36763 posts) -

Doubt it will happen, but it will be nice if we can port saves from ps3 to ps4

#40 Posted by DocSanchez (1584 posts) -

@Chutebox: Yes. A few new areas, cross saves and a graphic surge and I'd buy it. But that's pie in the sky stuff, not likely to happen IMHO.

#41 Posted by Alcapello (823 posts) -

Yes!!!! Now I can make 20 character

#42 Posted by nethernova (4081 posts) -

Don't own it yet so I would be interested. Wouldn't buy it twice though.

#43 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7118 posts) -

Graphics whores, Graphics whores everywhere.

#44 Posted by B4X (3789 posts) -

I waited on GTA5 and this game to go Next-gen. I knew they would do it.

Still don't agree with the practice for the people that already bought the game. Should be some sort of a trade up program.

#45 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13560 posts) -

as far as souls games go it was poor, going up against bloodborne just seems counter productive.

#46 Posted by lundy86_4 (43065 posts) -

I haven't even gotten around to playing the last-gen version... I only played for around an hour.

#47 Posted by foxhound_fox (87844 posts) -

The PS4 and Xbone are swiftly becoming last-gen up-rezing machines.

I still regret buying the PS3 version for full price. I wish I would have waited for the PC version.

#48 Posted by Bigboi500 (29422 posts) -

Next gen version, or current gen version? Next gen is like 2020 ffs.

#49 Posted by kinectthedots (1634 posts) -

Include all 3 DLC, better textures, lighting and effects running at 1080p @ 60fps for $50 like TLOU and I am down.

I never bought Dark Souls 2 for last gen cause my PS3 died the month TLOU was released so I will gladly buy DS2 and Bloodborne on PS4 if it is true.

#50 Posted by silversix_ (14129 posts) -

Include all 3 DLC, better textures, lighting and effects running at 1080p @ 60fps for $50 like TLOU and I am down.

If this happen i may even buy it and im 1000000000% against milking HD remakes we've been spammed on. Perfectly happy with my pc version but god damn do i miss juicy hate mail. Sucks you can't send messages on steam unless he's in your group/FL.