Dark Souls 2 making you pay for DX11 (no joke)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

De-downgrade your game.

This is probably a good time to try to figure out what’s actually happening with the free/paid aspects of Scholar of the First Sin on PC. That’s not exactly easy, because Bandai Namco are being quite vague about it.

According to the Dark Souls 2 official tumblr, here’s how it breaks down between the free update patch and the bits they expect people to pay for. This is probably the clearest delineation I’ve found:

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):

– Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.

– Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.

– Augmented item descriptions.

– Improved online matchmaking functionality.

Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above):

– Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.

– Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

That may not be a definitive list however, because this Japanese language chart (as translated by NeoGaf user duckroll) lists “Enemy and game design adjustments” as something only the Scholar edition will receive.

More worrying, it implies that the DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 PC versions will use separate servers. Splitting the player-base for multiplayer titles in this fashion is always an idiotic move, so I’m clinging to the hope that the chart is just misleading or incorrect in some manner. Equating two PC versions with (say) a PS3/PS4 divide doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. People with DirectX 11 cards aren’t on a completely different platform.

Speaking of the DX11 aspect, the lists above show that if PC players want the DirectX 11 visuals version, they’ll have to pay an as-yet-undetermined amount of money for it. This has been further confirmed by Patrick Klepek. But Bandai Namco don’t exactly seem sure what that amount should be, yet.

They’re implying (again, a frustrating lack of anything concrete here) that more details about PC “versions/upgrades” will be coming in the future.

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/dark-souls-2-scholar-of-the-first-sin-why-pc-users-are-feeling-aggrieved

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No thanks.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

lol

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Is the DLC not being bundled with any of these versions? That was the only reason I was gonna buy it in a sale

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_imperium

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

So we are pretending that 1080p and 60fps versions of old gen games on current gen consoles aren't happening? OK

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup  Online

These practices are due to console publishers attempting to milk fools. The pc version was deliberately held back.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

You mean they are asking for money for a re-release that has all the DLC plus reworked assets?

OH MY GOD THOSE HORRIBLE MONSTERS.

You PC folk want a foot rub and breakfast too with that free re-release? I'm trying to understand where this feeling that you are owed free shit comes from.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

no thanks

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

No thanks.

Yup..not touching any new release games from them anymore..will just wait for the inevitable Ultimate HD versions..much like Capcom's Street Fighters series..where you know..there's gonna be Super/Hyper edition. :P

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Welp, gonna wait for this version. Luckily I held off purchasing DSII, despite being tempted to buy on many occasions.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Splitting the userbase is stupid, but are you seriously expecting people who worked on something for a living to give it away free?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

The irony is that this happens far more on consoles, like way way way more often. (rehashes/remakes)

But you know this, and you're going to see this message from your notifications, but you won't respond because you just got wrecked.

It must suck to always know you won't be first place ;)

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

@soulitane: I do not see anything in there that shouldnt of for one been already in there, and two what is there that needs to be paid for? The online extra she be automatic as with graphics and the extra story stuff should be added with the DLC.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Won't buy a single From Software game from this day onwards. These practices encourage piracy.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_imperium

@zeeshanhaider said:

Won't buy a single From Software game from this day onwards. These practices encourage piracy.

Exactly . This is stupid. They didn't include lighting effects and DX11 features in the PC version, to hold back PC version and later include these features in current gen consoles and ask for people's money to update their game to DX11. Hilarious.... People have already paid a full price for unfinished game, and they are going to download the update manually for free. No one is stupid to pay for that sh*t .

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

HUH? Oh...pc gamer problems.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Screw DX11, it sucks anyway. eh I'll probably buy it though for the increased phantom count.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well that's a whole mess of bad decisions.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

That guy, on youtube, is actually a console gamer. Irony. Besides console gamers waited for this game for over a year.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

That's expected. Why would they update the graphics for free a year later.. If it's $30 or less with DLC included then i'd bite. I never bought the DLC and the DLC was $30 to begin with.

The whole thing kind of sucks. But this is From's B team and they won't be making anything worth a damn anyway. All about Bloodborne and since Miyazaki is the president now instead of a Director, I don't see them making any more good games. RIP from

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

This.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Grab bloodborne instead and avoid this unless you really want to see a new lighting engine with DS 2's terrible level design.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

You mean they are asking for money for a re-release that has all the DLC plus reworked assets?

You PC folk want a foot rub and breakfast too with that free re-release? I'm trying to understand where this feeling that you are owed free shit comes from.

There was a day when a patch like this was a thank you from the developers to the community for buying their game and sticking by them after it released.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

I don't either. not because some dumb reason though, just because there games suck

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@darkangel115: Who's the idiot giving sucky games GOTY awards!

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

@darkangel115: Who's the idiot giving sucky games GOTY awards!

apparently gamespot is. but hell gamesradar gave destiny a GOTY award. so basically GOTY doesn't have any meaning anymore. The choices they picked suck balls. hell morridor is a good game, but not GOTY worthy

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

DX11 is like OLD..... even the most basic of CPU's have iGPU's that support DX11.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone

@foxhound_fox said:

@Thunderdrone said:

There was a day when a patch like this was a thank you from the developers to the community for buying their game and sticking by them after it released.

But Dark Souls 2 was a fully fledged, complete and highly polished, big retail release. They don't exactly owe gamers anything with DS2, unlike Ubi with Unity or Sony with DC.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for something in return for the time and resources spent on this re-release package. Especially considering that From Software is one of the few mid-tier Japanese developers who managed to break through into western markets. Every penny counts in a world were even giants like Capcom are on their knees financially.

I get that people would like a free update, I would too. I don't get why some are outraged that they aren't getting it though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

But Dark Souls 2 was a fully fledged, complete and highly polished, big retail release. They don't exactly owe gamers anything with DS2, unlike Ubi with Unity or Sony with DC.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for something in return for the time and resources spent on this re-release package. Especially considering that From Software is one of the few mid-tier Japanese developers who managed to break through into western markets. Every penny counts in a world were even giants like Capcom are on their knees financially.

I get that people would like a free update, I would too. I don't get why some are outraged that they aren't getting it though.

Then I hope they atleast give proper keyboard and mouse controls this time. Had to download a mod for that. (And inb4 controllers are better ) My controllers are broken so I didn't have a choice.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

For a feature as big as lighting effects to be promised before launch only to be taken out upon release and then released much later for a cost... that's inexcusable. Had this been merely added features like item descriptions and a few NPC's, I can understand, those are after-release tweaks... but we are talking about misrepresenting the final product before release and then have the gall to charge for it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

This.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thunderdrone

@foxhound_fox said:

@Thunderdrone said:

For a feature as big as lighting effects to be promised before launch only to be taken out upon release and then released much later for a cost... that's inexcusable. Had this been merely added features like item descriptions and a few NPC's, I can understand, those are after-release tweaks... but we are talking about misrepresenting the final product before release and then have the gall to charge for it.

And I'd normally agree with you completely if this wasn't From Software we were talking about. I honestly think there was no ill intent on FS's part when they showed a better looking in-development version of DS2.

Remember they aren't exactly the most tech savvy bunch and they most likely WANTED to release that version. But along the way many things could have happened that got them to abandon that besides wanting to trick people:

- They couldn't manage to make the engine run properly with that lighting

- They didn't have the time or know-how to make it look that good consistently all the way through.

- They decided to rethink their priorities and shift resources onto other stuff that made it to the final game instead

- etc...

Look at Bloodborn. While artistically gorgeous, it is technically less impressive than say, Dragon Age Inquisition and it seems to be running worse so far too.

Also don't be surprised if that amazing pre-release lighting is STILL absent from this reworked version DS2 too. Hell, Bloodborn doesn't seem to be as sofisticated in the lighting department either.

Cutting edge graphics are simply not their strength, nor should it be considering their size and resources.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

As much as I loved the first Souls game and liked the second, I'm glad I held off on this one. Guess I'll just wait a little longer for the Ultimate/Turbo/GoTY/Double Dipping+ Edition for all the stuff to be fleshed out better.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Wow, that's bad.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
@zeeshanhaider said:

These practices encourage piracy.

Truth. I'm encouraged to pirate this game - not because I'm unwilling to pay for it, but because I feel I already have.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@aroxx_ab said:

lol

That guy, on youtube, is actually a console gamer. Irony. Besides console gamers waited for this game for over a year.

No, he own and plays everything, yes PC too, he is a Manticore or whatever you call them here in sw

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I thought From's approach to PC gaming had improved considering how good of a port Dark Souls 2 was, but I guess I was wrong. Splitting the userbase up like this is a stupid idea, as is making us pay for better graphics.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

Who even cares? The bosses are terrible and they are supposed to be the best part.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Elaisse said:

@soulitane: I do not see anything in there that shouldnt of for one been already in there, and two what is there that needs to be paid for? The online extra she be automatic as with graphics and the extra story stuff should be added with the DLC.

The graphics are the bit which I was mainly thinking of. How entitled do you have to be to say that the graphical updates should be free? Did they have to work on them? Yes. Did that work cost them money? Yes, so why should it be free? I could understand if they had promised a free update for graphics, but they didn't. When you bought the game, you knew what the graphics looked like and they didn't make any promises for upgrades.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I have to admit if true, From Software have just taken a big smelly shit on PC customers. Not only is charging people for a minor graphics update stupid, but fragmenting your online players is dumb beyond belief.

They need a slap.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

You make this sound like this is some ground up reworking of assets or some shit (which on PC it isn't). They are improving performance and adding features (DX11) that yes would get added in most games on the PC via a fucking patch.

They can charge for their new content just fine, but the performance stuff, that shit shouldn't be charged, I already paid you for the game. Why am I paying for your other patch? PC gaming is about being scaleable, and in this case there is no reason the DX11 features should be behind a paywall. Games like Crysis 2 for instance added those features post-release.

We can make all the defenses for From all we want
-they mean well
-they aren't tech savy
-they are noobs at PC

etc, etc, etc, but that is ultimately irrelevant to the standards of said platform for starters (you want to play in the big leagues, you have to play up to a certain standard), and more importantly in this case you should easily be able to identify what precedents are set on said platform.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uninspiredcup  Online

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

You make this sound like this is some ground up reworking of assets or some shit (which on PC it isn't). They are improving performance and adding features (DX11) that yes would get added in most games on the PC via a fucking patch.

They can charge for their new content just fine, but the performance stuff, that shit shouldn't be charged, I already paid you for the game. Why am I paying for your other patch? PC gaming is about being scaleable, and in this case there is no reason the DX11 features should be behind a paywall. Games like Crysis 2 for instance added those features post-release.

-they mean well

-they aren't tech savy

-they are noobs at PC

etc, etc, etc, but that is ultimately irrelevant to the standards of said platform for starters (you want to play in the big leagues, you have to play up to a certain standard), and more importantly in this case you should easily be able to identify what precedents are set on said platform.

Thank you for explaining this to the young console people who do not understand technology or game development.

Knowledge in comparison to this young persons teen angst hyperbole has clearly won the day.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

-they mean well

-they aren't tech savy

-they are noobs at PC

They are not just upgrading the graphics. If people would actually listen, not be daft and ignorant they would realize it.

The DX11 version of the game is not going to be exactly the same as the DX9 version. The enemy encounter design has also been changed to take advantage of what they could not do with last gen hardware. Also item drops are getting moved around. Its going to be a whole separate game because of this almost like a Masters Quest version. See that dragon at Hiede's Tower of Flame, well that's this concept.

PC gamers need to stop crying, the dx9 version gets the Scholar of the First Sin story content for free, which FromSoft is kind enough to give out for free. They do not get the graphical upgrades which cost FromSoft money, and they do not get the bigger serves, which also cost From money. And the reason why servers are split is because the level design is also not the same between versions.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I have to admit if true, From Software have just taken a big smelly shit on PC customers. Not only is charging people for a minor graphics update stupid, but fragmenting your online players is dumb beyond belief.

They need a slap.

Its not just a graphics upgrade, stop whining and get informed.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#45 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

or you could say you were lucky to get the original basic releases and didn't have to wait so long for a Prepare To Die version this time. bunch of fucking babies.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@scatteh316: It's weird that it's taking so long for DX12 to release. DX updates used to happen almost yearly..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup  Online

As suspected: being so use to exploitation, the young console people (as predicated) vehemently defend via juvenile attempts to belittle.

If only everyone could be a proper pc gamer.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thunderdrone

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

-they mean well

-they aren't tech savy

-they are noobs at PC

uhm, I'm pretty sure the patch does more than that. I'll give it another look but I remember a longer list of changes, additions and tweaks.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i'm ok with this