Dante Inferno: Ripoff of GOW

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

I just downloaded the demo.... it total rip off of GOW games... the health bar... and everthing else look like it taken from the God of War games.

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts
Everything is just a rip off of something else. Nothing new.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

GoW is a heavy influence, that is all. All hack and slash games are similar.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

br/a href=

It's true and you know it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
True, it's a ripoff of GoW, but does it really freaking matter if the game looks great? personally, i like the setting and the whole idea (well it might be butchering the original Divine Comedy, but who cares, games are supposed to butcher its original in one way or another) the concept art (and whole art direction) looks especially great, it reminds me of berserk. and the graphic wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. i mean, it's not really good, but it's serviceable especially when considering you play the most part of the game in high-speed action and zoomed out of details.
MJPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 MJPK
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

Everything is just a rip off of something else. Nothing new.fudgeblood

Sad but true

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
Every FPS is a ripoff of Doom
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its not a bad game... but yeah its a ripoff

Onizuka36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Onizuka36
Member since 2005 • 8295 Posts
The gameplay is a ripoff of God of War. For me that's great! I love the gameplay of GOW. The main difference is the plot. Luckily, I love the fiction for both games.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Do we really need another one of these topics? Got it the first time don't need you to point out the obvious.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I watched giantbomb's quicklook of the demo today. I was pretty letdown by what I saw. That combined with EA pretty much flipping 360 users the bird with all the free extra stuff ps3 users will be getting has left me pretty cold towards this game.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17455 Posts
Well, from the demo i played, it seems a bit BETTER than GOW to be honest. I love the GOW collection, but Dantes Inferno seems to have deeper combat, better story, and better replay value (the holy/unholy mechanic). We will have to wait and see, but it seems as if it will actually BENEFIT from ripping such a great game because they can spend more time polishing the story and gameplay. They should thank Jaffe in the credits :P
Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

I dont mind GOW getting ripped off as this is no bad thing - I will be buying both.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Yes it's a blatant GOW ripoff, but I don't think that should deter it's potential of being a good game. I had fun in the demo, and hope the full game can keep it up. Though it seems lack of creativity in the game design can lead me to believe that the full game is pretty much like playing the demo for 8 hours... but we won't know that until the game comes out.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
lol - it's more a rip-off of Devil May Cry - hell, even the main characters are Dante and Virgil...
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

lol - it's more a rip-off of Devil May Cry - hell, even the main characters are Dante and Virgil...67gt500

this is sig worthy if you aren't joking, then again I remember someone saying this before so it must be you.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
lol - it's more a rip-off of Devil May Cry - hell, even the main characters are Dante and Virgil...67gt500
Oh my...
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

I just downloaded the demo.... it total rip off of GOW games... the health bar... and everthing else look like it taken from the God of War games.

aka_aj03
And MGS is a ripe off from that movie. Escape from New York.
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

br/a href=

BioShockOwnz

Oh, look, you own GOW collection. I don't see why you had to post a picture >.>. Dante's inferno's demo was fun, but I think GOW II and the GOW III demo were much more fun(funner?) than it. I think it's different enough to warrant a purchase if you like GOW III type of games, but still not as good. I personally prefer GOW II graphics to DI because they did a really good job at hiding the limitations of the ps2 with bloom and other effects, while DI looks like it would be good looking for a game that released at launch. I also button mashed more in DI than I did in GOW II(even though in the beginning you could button mash to get through). And people who are saying 'every game is a rip off of something else' have no idea what they're saying. Copying and ripping off something are 2 different things. This game clearly ripped off GOW. The thing that stood out the most to me was when he took the boss's weapon in the demo, much like Kratos did in the fight with the Barbarian King(look familiar?).

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17455 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

RogueShodown

Oh, look, you own GOW collection. I don't see why you had to post a picture >.>. Dante's inferno's demo was fun, but I think GOW II and the GOW III demo were much more fun(funner?) than it.

He posted the pic because cows constantantly call him a lemming, and assume he doesnt own a game/PS3 because he doesnt blindly follow it, or he critisizes anything PS3. I get attacked the same way, which is why i post pics on my profile. Cows can be relentless man :P

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Its influenced and inspired by GOW, they even said it was in their previews... Why would that take away from the game at all though??????????? It doesnt, it would make it even better cuz GOW is already amazing. U should be saying awesome its like GOW!!!!!

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
The graphics in Dante's Inferno look bland. And it most certainly a rio off of God of War. It's good that this game will be released sooner than God of War 3. This game will just tide those over who are highly anticipating a true God of War game.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"]Everything is just a rip off of something else. Nothing new.MJPK

Sad but true

yeah but DI takes it to the next level, and I mean NEXT level. It's not even a rip-off, its copy/paste work. DI looks like a GoW mod.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

If it is a good game, then it is a good game.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

If it is a good game, then it is a good game.

Hexagon_777
Well said.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

That combined with EA pretty much flipping 360 users the bird with all the free extra stuff ps3 users will be getting has left me pretty cold towards this game.topgunmv

What free stuff will PS3 owners be getting? :?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]That combined with EA pretty much flipping 360 users the bird with all the free extra stuff ps3 users will be getting has left me pretty cold towards this game.Hexagon_777

What free stuff will PS3 owners be getting? :?

PS3 users got a timed exclusive Dante's Inferno Demo for PSN, like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 Timed exclusive PSN demo, etc....oh, and this.

Dante's Inferno Blu-Ray Divine Edition ...still only $59.99!

EA did the same thing for Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Blu-Ray on PS3, and also gave the PS3 Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta on PSN.

Sony is working something out with EA, like I suppose Activision has with Xbox (MW2 360 250gig bundle, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 360 bundles from the past, etc.)

The thing is, With GOD OF WAR III about to drop, will this help Dante's Inferno catch an audience?

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Well every game is a ripoff of Captain Falcon.

Your point?

MJPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MJPK
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

[QUOTE="MJPK"]

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"]Everything is just a rip off of something else. Nothing new.II_Seraphim_II

Sad but true

yeah but DI takes it to the next level, and I mean NEXT level. It's not even a rip-off, its copy/paste work. DI looks like a GoW mod.

I didn't say it was bad.What I mean is that there is very few orignal games, movies or even tv shows now.Everything is just a rip off, remake or spin off of something else.

Syaz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Syaz1
Member since 2008 • 554 Posts

sheesh, what's wrong with you ps3 fanboys? are ps3 exclusives that godly? i'm sick of hearing this "dante's inferno ripped-off gow" **** gow have copied every single hack and slash game before it, killzone 2 have copied every single fps before it, and the list goes on. can you all just take the game for what it is? ea is even trying to be nice with you ps3 owners. you're also creating the impression that ps3 owners only buy exclusives so multiplatform games doesn't sell on the ps3.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

sheesh, what's wrong with you ps3 fanboys? are ps3 exclusives that godly? i'm sick of hearing this "dante's inferno ripped-off gow" **** gow have copied every single hack and slash game before it, killzone 2 have copied every single fps before it, and the list goes on. can you all just take the game for what it is? ea is even trying to be nice with you ps3 owners. you're also creating the impression that ps3 owners only buy exclusives so multiplatform games doesn't sell on the ps3.

Syaz1

*Looks at Rygar.*

:P

All but 2 games I have for the PS3 are exclusives, so you have a point there.:P

SionPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SionPT
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts

Syaz1

Have you played DT? cause one thing is to be of the SAME GENRE, another thing is to COPY PASTE, change the face, and give it a new weapon, even the combos are mostly the same, the way the game behaves and feels.. the SAME, its a MOD

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Ah!! I see literature failing, isn't that gorgeous??

Anyway, TC: rip-off =/= bad game.

DE is a RE4 rip-off and it turned out being great.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I rather enjoyed the demo and I'm the biggest GOW fan. In fact, I really dislike Kratos.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="67gt500"]lol - it's more a rip-off of Devil May Cry - hell, even the main characters are Dante and Virgil...GreenGoblin2099

Ah!! I see literature failing, isn't that gorgeous??

Anyway, TC: rip-off =/= bad game.

DE is a RE4 rip-off and it turned out being great.

This makes me really sad. I've seen many people say stuff like this, not realizing where the source material comes from. Even if the source is beaten and mashed to a bloody juvenile pulp.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

It's a complete rip off, so everybody here will boycott the game till the developers go bankrupt so there will be no more GoW ripoffs! (sarcasm)

Seriously what can you do to make a difference, let it go... :roll:

uyiop0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uyiop0t
Member since 2009 • 615 Posts

No, not a rip off, influenced by God of War, yeah, but the art style and setting is very different, and the artists behind the game worked very hard to bring forth something very stunning, exciting, and powerful.

If you don't like it and have the nerve to bash it on here, when Dante's Inferno is released, please refrain from playing and enjoying it, because there are those of us out there who are legitimately excited about it and support it throughout the development stages and for you to reap the benefits of our support when you were too busy bashing it would be hypocritical.

It's not cool to bash something for being influenced because without influence there really is no way to be creative and push the realms of art and design. Sometimes something is completely original, but that happens so very rarely that if it were a rule that something had to be original to be released, we would only get a new game about once every five years.

If anything, since imitation is the highest form of flattery, the developers for God of War should be flatterred that Dante's Inferno follows a similar gameplay formula.

And also, before I finish, I can't help but get the impression you are on the "Dante's Inferno is a God of War ripoff" bandwagon that has been so common on the internet recently, complaining about a game not having enough originality is one thing, but to do it just because it is the "in thing" isn't right. Another bandwagon is that "dedicated server" thing for Modern Warfare 2. The people who legitimately were angered by it was a very small sect of people, but a lot of the people just jumping the bandwagon probably didn't care too much in the first place and rode the bandwagon just to belong.

Dark5tar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dark5tar1
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

Just because DI has a similar fighting engine to GoW?

Dante's Inferno is no where near a rip off of GoW, its a different slightly similar game.

And all the PS3 fanboys will argue and disagree

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

After playing the Demo I can say it is a knock off (a so far good one though). When I drained fountain for life ( open box) I :lol:

The setting does seem good, but the hack and slashing is just short of GOW level (Athena blades >>>>>War axe>death's scythe).

Though I will admit using the cross to pwn demons was bloody awesome (Cross >>>>>>Kratos's bow).

If I get the game I will mostly use the cross (I really enjoyed using it).:)

SionPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SionPT
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts

Dante's Inferno is no where near a rip off of GoW, its a different slightly similar game.

Dark5tar1

So a game has the same fighting engine, the same looking aspect, the same combos, only a "diferent skin", and because its multiplat its not a rip-off, hows that

uyiop0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uyiop0t
Member since 2009 • 615 Posts

Dark5tar1

Wait, THAT's why people are bashing DI? It never crossed my mind that it would be Sony fanboys doing it because it will be multiplatform, and I'm not being sarcastic, I really never thought of it that way. That's not a good reason at all.

I am what one would call "cow," but I will be playing Dante's Inferno on PS3 and not God of War 3 at all because I think Dante's Inferno looks fun and I don't think God of War 3 does at all.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
im still buying it and im the biggest gow fan around
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

Yes it is, everything about that game is so simlar to GOW. Let's see if thay can pull it off as well as SCE.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

I was away from my Ps3 for two weeks...but finally got to play the Demo today..yeah..Dante's inferno is similiar to GOW in ways,however I thought what I played was very fun..i'm actually more intrigued by venturing through Hell.I also enjoy the animated cut-scenes.