Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc | Hype Thread | 8 @ GS!

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

#2 Edited by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

Looking for the GameSpot review? Well look no further!

Danganronpa excels in nearly every aspect, but two components left a lasting impression on me. First, the respect it shows toward every student, even those who commit the most heinous of crimes, makes you feel sympathy toward everyone, and yearn to understand what makes them tick. Second, the game doesn't revel in the violence of the deaths and the bleakness of the events. You're not a voyeur, after all, but one of them. Danganronpa is an excellent adventure with a story that celebrates the human spirit, even during the darkest times, and that optimistic viewpoint made me smile even when everything seemed to be going wrong.

#3 Posted by finalstar2007 (24897 posts) -

Man thats what i call a hype thread!

very well done and dude i wasnt even thinking about this game but with all the reviews and this thread ( which is giving the game a Persona like feeling to it ) its now on my radar and i'll for sure think about getting it after i beat YS Vita.

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

Great thread !

The gameplay sounds a bit like Phoenix Wright, am hyped.

#5 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Wow. You've outdone yourself this time Slash, awesome looking thread! :D And well organized too! Nicely done!

As for the game, looks pretty cool. Though, since I'm playing P4G I have a feeling I won't play this for a while hehe :P

#6 Edited by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

very well done and dude i wasnt even thinking about this game but with all the reviews and this thread ( which is giving the game a Persona like feeling to it ) its now on my radar and i'll for sure think about getting it after i beat YS Vita.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Great thread !

You're both right. It's like a cross between Persona, Phoenix Wright, and Zero Escape... from Spike Chunsoft, the developer behind the Zero Escape series.

I've only seen the anime adaptation of Danganronpa, but I wouldn't recommend that (felt too rushed). From what I've heard, the original visual novel / adventure game is much better than the anime adaptation. Also, the game seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews.

#7 Posted by Ballroompirate (22291 posts) -

Game looks bizarre yet kinda cool. Amazing hype thread btw.

#8 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3402 posts) -

Nicely done!

#9 Edited by yokofox33 (29256 posts) -

Pretty sure Mondo Uwara is just Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho.

#10 Posted by finalstar2007 (24897 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Great thread !

You're both right. It's like a cross between Persona, Phoenix Wright, and Zero Escape... from Spike Chunsoft, the developer behind the Zero Escape series.

I've only seen the anime adaptation of Danganronpa, but I wouldn't recommend that (felt too rushed). From what I've heard, the original visual novel / adventure game is much better than the anime adaptation. Also, the game seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews.

Had no idea there is an anime.. will check it out

#11 Edited by Ghost120x (3691 posts) -

Great thread. This game needs more attention!

#12 Posted by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

NOOOOOOOO TURN BACK FINALSTAR! The anime is a very condensed version of the game. You won't fully enjoy the story and you'll only spoil things by watching it.

And for everyone else, thanks for the kind words. :3

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

Great hype thread, Slash! But then again, that's expected from you lol

I just started this last evening. It's pretty interesting, do you know how many chapters this has?

#14 Posted by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Great thread !

Don't do it! The anime version isn't a very good adaptation. It will only ruin the game for you. In fact, I kind of regret watching the anime, after hearing about how much better the original game is.

#15 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3402 posts) -

I just started this last evening. It's pretty interesting, do you know how many chapters this has?

#16 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Ae they all as long as the first one?

#17 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3402 posts) -

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ae they all as long as the first one?

LONGER

#18 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Don't do it! The anime version isn't a very good adaptation. It will only ruin the game for you. In fact, I kind of regret watching the anime, after hearing about how much better the original game is.

Yeah, it seems like this will be way more awesome to play than to watch. As much playing as there is in these types of games anyway :p

#19 Edited by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Jag85 said:

Yeah, it seems like this will be way more awesome to play than to watch. As much playing as there is in these types of games anyway :p

The anime version could have been good if it was longer, but it was only 13 episodes long, so they skimmed through everything really quick, without giving you enough time to know the characters or make sense of what's going on.

It's a bit like how the Chaos Head anime was rushed and didn't do justice to the visual novel game, in contrast to its follow-up Steins Gate which received an excellent anime adaptation.

#20 Posted by yokofox33 (29256 posts) -

I just pre-ordered the game with my Amazon rewards points. I kinda have no money, but at least I'm using my rewards points to pay for it.

#21 Posted by Justw8_N_C (85 posts) -

I am John_Matherson and I approve of this thread. This is what I like to see. An actual fucking hype thread. Don't slap a couple google pictures on a wall and then add a poll and call it a hype thread!

Good job, dude.

#22 Posted by finalstar2007 (24897 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

NOOOOOOOO TURN BACK FINALSTAR! The anime is a very condensed version of the game. You won't fully enjoy the story and you'll only spoil things by watching it.

And for everyone else, thanks for the kind words. :3

lol oh man alright then guess hold off till after i beat this game.. been too busy watching Fate Zero lately

#23 Posted by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

The PlayStation blog put up an interview today with series producer Yoshinori Terasawa, if anyone wants to give it a read.

@Jag85 said:

The anime version could have been good if it was longer, but it was only 13 episodes long, so they skimmed through everything really quick, without giving you enough time to know the characters or make sense of what's going on.

It's a bit like how the Chaos Head anime was rushed and didn't do justice to the visual novel game, in contrast to its follow-up Steins Gate which received an excellent anime adaptation.

I heard the Chaos;Head anime was just awful. I'm kinda interested in checking it out now that it's on Netflix though (I've played the game already). :p

Steins;Gate is definitely one of the better adaptations. I still think the game is better for providing more detail and certain nuances in the voice-acting, but the anime is a great alternative.

#24 Edited by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

@justw8_n_c said:

I am John_Matherson and I approve of this thread. This is what I like to see. An actual fucking hype thread. Don't slap a couple google pictures on a wall and then add a poll and call it a hype thread!

Good job, dude.

What happened to your old account?

@Slashkice said:

I heard the Chaos;Head anime was just awful. I'm kinda interested in checking it out now that it's on Netflix though (I've played the game already). :p

Steins;Gate is definitely one of the better adaptations. I still think the game is better for providing more detail and certain nuances in the voice-acting, but the anime is a great alternative.

The Chaos Head anime suffered from being too rushed, just like the Danganronpa anime. When adapting a visual novel, 12-13 episodes just aren't enough, but you need at least 20+ episodes to be able to do a decent job of it... especially considering how long the scripts are for a lot of visual novels (Clannad and Fate/Stay Night, for example, have higher word counts than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy).

#25 Posted by Justw8_N_C (85 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@justw8_n_c said:

Good job, dude.

What happened to your old account?

@Slashkice said:

The Chaos Head anime suffered from being too rushed, just like the Danganronpa anime. When adapting a visual novel, 12-13 episodes just aren't enough, but you need at least 20+ episodes to be able to do a decent job of it... especially considering how long the scripts are for a lot of visual novels (Clannad and Fate/Stay Night, for example, have higher word counts than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy).

I still have it. This is just my alt.

#26 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

One of the craziest games I've seen in a long time. Day 1.

#27 Posted by Yoshi9000 (384 posts) -

Just might have to get a vita. Release steins gate for it and that would definitely seal the deal for me

#28 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

I have the collectors edition pre order from NIS store already. They got hundred bucks of money in one month because I have collectors edition of demon gaze pre ordered also.

#29 Posted by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

One day left! Have two more reviews in the meantime:

Everything from the characters, to the music, to the localization is so top notch that it’s incredibly difficult not to become invested in this game from start to finish. It’ll keep you on your toes the entire way through and completely satisfied once the credits finally roll. I’ve loved every minute with DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and, now that this game is finally localized, I certainly hope that we’ll see the sequel to this game get localized as well.

5/5, PSNStores

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is yet another Spike Chunsoft masterpiece that has finally seen release on our shores. As a fan of visual novels and murder mysteries I cannot recommend it enough. If you own a Vita and like a good story, Danganronpa is an essential purchase.

9/10, Awesome Games

#30 Posted by Slashkice (13018 posts) -
#31 Edited by yokofox33 (29256 posts) -

Just received my copy in the mail along with Bravely Default. Wish I had 4 eyes and 4 hands so I could play both games at the same time...

BTW: Game scores an 8 on GS.

#32 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

Out today for the US. What's the price ?

Any initial impressions from the people who've played it ?

#33 Edited by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

Just received my copy in the mail along with Bravely Default. Wish I had 4 eyes and 4 hands so I could play both games at the same time...

BTW: Game scores an 8 on GS.

Thanks for this, I'll update the title.

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's $39.99 at retail and on PSN. I'm just starting to download it myself, but I did play the fan-translation of the original on the PSP. Is there anything you want to know in particular?

#34 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's $39.99 at retail and on PSN. I'm just starting to download it myself, but I did play the fan-translation of the original on the PSP. Is there anything you want to know in particular?

In particular ? I wouldn't know. I'm not really that familiar with the genre apart from the Ace Attorney games and Hotel Dusk :P

But I have been reading in to the game and I found that gameplay differs a bit from Ace Attorney, in that you get a limited amount of time to investigate. While in AA, you keep investigating until you find everything. What I'm trying to get at is: is the gameplay hard in any way ? But of course that wouldn't initial impressions now :D

#35 Edited by Slashkice (13018 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

In particular ? I wouldn't know. I'm not really that familiar with the genre apart from the Ace Attorney games and Hotel Dusk :P

But I have been reading in to the game and I found that gameplay differs a bit from Ace Attorney, in that you get a limited amount of time to investigate. While in AA, you keep investigating until you find everything. What I'm trying to get at is: is the gameplay hard in any way ? But of course that wouldn't initial impressions now :D

You don't have a time limit to investigate - the story only moves forward when you've gathered all the evidence. Where you are timed is the class trial, that's when you use your evidence to deduce what happened and reveal the culprit. The class trials are where the game really differs from AA. In DR, you move through a trial by playing different minigames which are a mix of logical deduction and action gameplay. I wouldn't call the game hard, but I would say it's harder than AA since it requires more traditional gameplay skills on top of the usual deduction. Personally, I only really had trouble with the Bullet Time Battles. It's mentioned in the OP, but it basically plays out like a rhythm game. You follow notes on-screen and time button presses along with them; they move slower or faster depending on the current rhythm. On the harder difficulty, the visual cues on what you need to press are obscured meaning you have to rely solely on the beat itself, which I found difficult. Of course, that's remedied just by playing on easy.

As far as the general, figuring-out-who-did-what stuff, I don't think you'll have much trouble if you played AA. The game's very fair in the logic it follows; the answers you give all make sense in context as long as you're keeping up with the story.

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

You don't have a time limit to investigate - the story only moves forward when you've gathered all the evidence. Where you are timed is the class trial, that's when you use your evidence to deduce what happened and reveal the culprit. The class trials are where the game really differs from AA. In DR, you move through a trial by playing different minigames which are a mix of logical deduction and action gameplay. I wouldn't call the game hard, but I would say it's harder than AA since it requires more traditional gameplay skills on top of the usual deduction. Personally, I only really had trouble with the Bullet Time Battles. It's mentioned in the OP, but it basically plays out like a rhythm game. You follow notes on-screen and time button presses along with them; they move slower or faster depending on the current rhythm. On the harder difficulty, the visual cues on what you need to press are obscured meaning you have to rely solely on the beat itself, which I found difficult. Of course, that's remedied just by playing on easy.

As far as the general, figuring-out-who-did-what stuff, I don't think you'll have much trouble if you played AA. The game's very fair in the logic it follows; the answers you give all make sense in context as long as you're keeping up with the story.

That makes it a lot clearer, thanks for the info !

I'm looking forward to playing it myself. Have fun :)

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -
#38 Edited by juarbles (801 posts) -

Another game for real gamers thanks to Sony. Can't wait to try it.

#39 Edited by Mario1331 (8815 posts) -

liked the anime even though they could of paced it better. will check it out

#40 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Hey man, what's your PSN?

My username is Pyke_64, but I'm not really one who plays a lot of multiplayer on consoles. Unless of course it's couch co-op ^^

#41 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

"vita has no games"

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

My username is Pyke_64, but I'm not really one who plays a lot of multiplayer on consoles. Unless of course it's couch co-op ^^

Just wanted you on my friends list lol.

If you have an XBL/Steam/Nintendo ID you feel like sharing, lemme know as well :p

@mrintro said:

"vita has no games"

And dude, what's your PSN and Nintendo IDs?

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

If you have an XBL/Steam/Nintendo ID you feel like sharing, lemme know as well :p

Thanks man, I'm honored.

I've sent you a PM. I just can't think of my Xbox Live or Nintendo ID atm. I can give them via steam though, if I remember them.

We can play online on steam if you want :)

#44 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mrintro said:

"vita has no games"

And dude, what's your PSN and Nintendo IDs?

I PMed you both with mine :O

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -
#46 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16255 posts) -

@mrintro said:

I PMed you both with mine :O

Thanks, I'll add you too.

@mrintro: @R4gn4r0k:

Thanks you guys, I'll add ya'all in a bit :)

No hurry, I won't be able to accept until tomorrow morning anyway :p

#47 Posted by Bigboi500 (29172 posts) -

Good score. Will pick it up when it's on sale.

#48 Posted by Slashkice (13018 posts) -

liked the anime even though they could of paced it better. will check it out

If you liked the anime, you'll love the game. I thought pacing was the show's biggest problem, but that's not an issue here.

#49 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

My Vita is ready.

#50 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3402 posts) -