DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc | First English Screens

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (12978 posts) -

You can see character introduction shots at the source. The game is coming to NA and EU in early 2014.

Any interest in the game, System Wars? DR is closest in style to Ace Attorney, but it also has similarities to the recent Persona titles and visual novels like Zero Escape.

#2 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

I'm somewhat interested in it, Any news on an exact release date, because i might struggle to find time for it.

#3 Edited by voljin1987 (675 posts) -

I loved the game.. played the fan translation on my PSP.. Will be day 1 buy to support the devs.

#4 Posted by Slashkice (12978 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

I'm somewhat interested in it, Any news on an exact release date, because i might struggle to find time for it.

NISA isn't saying anything besides early 2014 for now. Amazon has it listed for Feb. 18th though, which should be fairly accurate.

#5 Posted by starjet905 (1841 posts) -

If they announce the second game, I'll buy a Vita just for it.

#6 Posted by GhoX (4653 posts) -

Friendship penetrates!

It looks interesting, but I'm so confused by its genre.

#7 Posted by Slashkice (12978 posts) -

@GhoX said:

Friendship penetrates!

It looks interesting, but I'm so confused by its genre.

It'd fall under the visual novel label, but the gameplay borrows elements from other genres. A large part of the game is just reading, but there are investigative sections where you can freely search crime scenes and talk to other characters to gather information (like Ace Attorney if you're familiar with it). You also have downtime in the game to build your relationships with the game's cast à la the social links of Persona 3/4. Then then are the class trials, where again, like Ace Attorney, you use the evidence you gathered along with deductive reasoning to solve a murder. The trials in DR differ though since they throw in minigames which'll have you shooting bullets one moment and playing a rhythm game the next. It keeps you more involved in the gameplay than typical ADV titles, and it works out pretty well in this case.

#8 Edited by RyviusARC (4092 posts) -

After playing YU-NO I doubt any visual novel will even come close to stacking up with it.

I might check this game out but I am going to have to severely lower my standards after experiencing the best plot from any video game.

Not sure if I will enjoy this game but I did enjoy the Ace Attorney games and I liked Hotel Dusk and 999.

I like games full of mystery.

#9 Edited by voljin1987 (675 posts) -

After playing YU-NO I doubt any visual novel will even come close to stacking up with it.

I might check this game out but I am going to have to severely lower my standards after experiencing the best plot from any video game.

Not sure if I will enjoy this game but I did enjoy the Ace Attorney games and I liked Hotel Dusk and 999.

yu-no? what game is that? color me interested.

#10 Edited by RyviusARC (4092 posts) -

@voljin1987 said:

@RyviusARC said:

yu-no? what game is that? color me interested.

A Review of YU-NO

It's a sci-fi mystery game.

It starts off like a regular visual novel but after the prologue is become more like a point and click adventure game.

I usually don't like Japanese Visual Novels but YU-NO was different.

What really drew me in was the dialogue.

The conversations the characters had felt real and wasn't cheesy like stuff you hear in games like the Metal Gear Solid series.

The voice acting was superb for all characters.

The voice acting works so well because the dialogue is written with care.

In YU-NO, every spoken line has meaning, comes from something real and is never treated as a throwaway aspect. And though the spoken lines are Japanese, the emotion of the delivery is universally understood, from the times of laughter to the times of deadly fear, the performers are able to communicate the intended message without any doubt.

The plot in YU-NO is also massive in scope dealing with parallel world/time traveling.

YU-NO is cerebral in the ways it challenges morals and logic. Despite balancing the very delicate time travel aspect, it also goes into philosophies of religion, history and introduces both traditional and contemporary mythology in the form of unknown creatures and alien technology. There is little time to fully digest events as they take place, with so many questions left unanswered, and time always against you. From one universe to another, confusion and images of terror will often be the very last thing experienced before entering the tranquility of its parallel universe changing all that is around Takuya. And yet even with all these elements where one slip could result in plot holes or irrational leaps of logic, the writing is always able to support the immense weight of the responsibilities it has to keep everything in balance. Every mystery and every twist has an answer, and every answer reveals enough to satisfy the most skeptic of minds.

The music in YU-NO is also wonderful.

The soundtrack is not the kind that immediately kicks up to 5th gear and remains high in adrenaline and tempo, but rather one that always keeps the emotional background relevant and in place, telling a story in music as much as the game does in writing and speech.

Here are some songs from YU-NO.

Keep in mind this is made using a 1980s FM synth chip and I am amazed at what they got out of such an old chip.

Wish I could make the videos smaller in size, Gamespot blows them up in size.

You might need to turn up your volume because the uploaded videos seem to be quiet.

Keep in mind the game I am talking about came out over 17 years ago.

This game was ahead of it's time.

It hours upon hours of voice acting and the whole music track is many hours long.

I currently have over 63 hours of recorded footage of the game uploaded to YouTube right now and the game still has a bit more in it.

It's very complicated when you get past the prologue so if you don't want figure out the confusing walkthrough guide you could always watch my videos.

But if you don't mind playing the game then here is the walkthrough.

You can see how confusing it is just by looking at it.

And this is just for the main portion of the game and not the prologue or the Epilogue which is long on it's own but straight forward.

And here is a link to my playlist for the video of this game and the first video on it.

YU-NO Playlist

#11 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

lol.

#12 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12748 posts) -

Nice tits in Yu-No. Yknow?

#13 Posted by RyviusARC (4092 posts) -

Nice tits in Yu-No. Yknow?

Plus it has great music, voice acting, characters and the best plot in a video game.

It's got the whole package.

Sucks that both the writer and music composer died in 2011.

#14 Edited by RyviusARC (4092 posts) -

BTW there are already two games in the Dangan Ronpa series and both are for the PSP.

The first one received an English fan translation back in June of this year.

The summary for the game is:

Special high school students throughout Japan are transferred to Kibougamine Academy because they excel above all other students in a certain way. The protagonist, Naegi Makoto (excels in Luck) arrives on the first day of class only to fall unconscious after he steps through the gates. When he wakes up, he meets up with 14 other students who went through the same experience, and they find that all possible exits have been sealed shut.

The 15 are then informed by Monokuma, a black and white robot bear who appears to be behind the whole affair, that they are playing a game and the only way for them to leave the school is to "graduate". To do so, they must kill another student and get away with it. A trial will be held after a corpse is found, and if the culprit is found guilty, they will be executed and the game will continue. If they are found innocent, they will graduate and be able to leave, while the rest of the cast gets executed in their place...

#15 Edited by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

@RyviusARC said:

I haven't played the original game, but I've watched the anime adaptation of Danganronpa. It felt a lot like 999 meets Ace Attorney, combining the mystery scenario of 999 with the quirky courtroom battles of Ace Attorney. In fact, Danganronpa was developed by the same developer as 999, Chunsoft. But compared to 999, Danganronpa is over-the-top and doesn't take itself too seriously, even presenting quite a few death scenes like a sadistic joke. I found the anime a bit crazy and wacky at times, but it was a pretty enjoyable mystery show overall. Given the way it was presented, however, I got the feeling it would work better as a game more than as an anime.

#16 Edited by Slashkice (12978 posts) -

BTW there are already two games in the Dangan Ronpa series and both are for the PSP.

The first one received an English fan translation back in June of this year.

Trigger Happy Havoc is an expanded port of the first game. I already played through the fan translation, but I'll support this since I want to see Super DanganRonpa 2 localized, and I'd like to play through the new school mode too.

@Jag85 said:

I haven't played the original game, but I've watched the anime adaptation of Danganronpa. It felt a lot like 999 meets Ace Attorney, combining the mystery scenario of 999 with the quirky courtroom battles of Ace Attorney. In fact, Danganronpa was developed by the same developer as 999, Chunsoft. But compared to 999, Danganronpa is over-the-top and doesn't take itself too seriously, even presenting quite a few death scenes like a sadistic joke. I found the anime a bit crazy and wacky at times, but it was a pretty enjoyable mystery show overall. Given the way it was presented, however, I got the feeling it would work better as a game more than as an anime.

Yeah, the anime was a rushed adaptation. It just moved from one major plot point to the next, skipping most things in-between.

#17 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

The anime is pure shit. Hope the game is different.

#18 Edited by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

@Slashkice said:

@Jag85 said:

Yeah, the anime was a rushed adaptation. It just moved from one major plot point to the next, skipping most things in-between.

Indeed. The anime felt rushed, but it was only 13 episodes long, after all. It could have been better if it was longer, covering the cases in more depth, and if it was presented better (like toning down some of the over-the-top wackiness, for example). As it is, the anime was kind of average, not bad but not too good either. However, I've seen fans suggesting that the original game was much better, so I hope that's true.

#19 Posted by finalstar2007 (24848 posts) -

TC you could have at least mentioned its a Vita game -_-

had to search around to find out its a vita game so i'll keep an eye on it

#20 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Why couldn't this be DR 1-2 reload? I want DR2 also...!