Danganronpa Another Episode: UDG Trailer - LolVita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Well, I've seen some talk here that Danganronpa are very good PSP/Vita games. This is the newest game in the franchise, and I'm wondering what you all think of it. Is it another Japanese thing where the objective is to woe 12-year-old-looking highschool girls into weird shit? Or does the series actually have merits in terms of story?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I love DanganRonpa and DanganRonpa 2, but... this one isn't doing it for me, personally.

As for your question, the first two games in the franchise, at least, are visual novels, so they are very story heavy.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UltimateImp

Is its story heavy-handed? I do get tired of those games after a bit, because of how stale it gets. Is it something awesome like Level 5's 999, or Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, who have some puzzles and gameplay that keep things interesting?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ultimateimp: 999 was not Level 5.

Regardless, this is primarily a story based game, with some interesting mechanics, but the story is the star here. The gameplay I would say is a mix of 999, Ace Attorney, and Persona.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Just to clarify, Danganronpa AE is a shooter side story and not the newest entry in the series proper. That game will be Danganronpa 3, which is in development but still a long way away from release.

Danganronpa is a story-based game that revolves around murder investigations and getting to know your classmates. It's pretty much the Vita's Ace Attorney. It does have anime-"style" characters and a Japanese sense of humor, so if that turns someone off, it's probably not for them. Needless to say it's an awesome series and one of the best reasons to own a Vita/PSTV.

By the way, 999/VLR was produced by the same company, Spike Chunsoft. More specifically, 999/VLR was produced by "Chunsoft" and Danganronpa was produced by "Spike", which today is Spike Chunsoft. I believe the developers of both games are friends.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UltimateImp

@SakusEnvoy said:

Just to clarify, Danganronpa AE is a shooter side story and not the newest entry in the series proper. That game will be Danganronpa 3, which is in development but still a long way away from release.

Danganronpa is a story-based game that revolves around murder investigations and getting to know your classmates. It's pretty much the Vita's Ace Attorney. It does have anime-"style" characters and a Japanese sense of humor, so if that turns someone off, it's probably not for them. Needless to say it's an awesome series and one of the best reasons to own a Vita/PSTV.

By the way, 999/VLR was produced by the same company, Spike Chunsoft. More specifically, 999/VLR was produced by "Chunsoft" and Danganronpa was produced by "Spike", which today is Spike Chunsoft. I believe the developers of both games are friends.

Well, that sounds appealing. I might look into this, especially since it's at half price right now.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Think I'll pass.