DA: Inquisition vs D: Original Sin

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@l0ngshot said:

One more gripe I have for PC version is the 8 button action bar. Why do we have to limit ourselves to 8 abilities at same time?

Because it's done for the controller. You can only map your abilities to the 4 buttons of the controller (a,b,x,y) plus another 4 abilities to the same buttons but when you hold the left trigger. In total, 8 abilities.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@l0ngshot said:

One more gripe I have for PC version is the 8 button action bar. Why do we have to limit ourselves to 8 abilities at same time?

The game was designed for consoles and thus; thinking is removed.

My friend, everything required is explained in my post Reading other posts is a waste of time. Younger gamers these days do not understand what an RPG is.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: @uninspiredcup: I know that mates but this is being lazy on Bioware's part. And then people wonder why PC gamers keep crying console ruined everything. I loved the DA:O action bar!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By uninspiredcup

@MBirdy88 said:

terrible rant post...

I had to use the Tactical camera on dragon fights consistently on normal. The rest is easy... but then so was DA Origins.... DA2 was a mess of a game lets ignore it existed.

Divinty was a nice

"No auto attack" OHHHH NOOOOO ... ffs

10x better in this than DA1.

DA Origins was a "MEH" high budget nod to games past.... DA: Inq is the best in the series by far... regardless of what friggin genre it is.

Dragon Age: Inquistion is an "action" game. Divinity is what we call a "CRPG" (computer role playing game).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#55 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

I loved Dragon Age : Origins so much but hated DA 2 . I heard Inquisition is a Bioware RPG done right (haven't played yet) , so I'll love it . BUT I doubt that anything will top the fun that I had with Divinity : Original Sin anytime soon (may be Witcher 3 or Total War : Attila) . I am currently at the end of the game and after that I'll write a review for it (like I do for every big game that I like a lot) and so far it is 10/10 for me. I was not into turn based combat before but this game has converted me , just like how Starcraft 2 had converted me to play RTS games . That's how awesome this game is .

EDIT : Wait , there are people who think Divinity : Original Sin's story is not good enough .? Yeah , they clearly haven't played the game .

Its not good, the companion suck and the story is simply has no sense of identity.

And while Divinty does have the better combat system, DAI beats it everywhere else. In fact, Divinity is a good tactical combat game...it is a bad RPG. Baldur's Gate this is not.

@uninspiredcup said:

Divinity: Original Sin is a fresh take on the CRPG genre. Featuring a semi-open world with almost no loading screen. While the story aspects are linear the game is primarily driven around it's innovative combat system using extensive synergy between skills and environment. The flexible game-play, consistent free updates have allowed for extensive replay value. Even experiencing a single play through; it's difficult to argue to consumer isn't getting his or her moneys worth. Very much a passion project.

Counter to that, "Dragon Age Inquisition" is a cynical attempt to cash in on Skyrim. While the series originally was billed as a successor to Baldurs Gate; EA and it's focus groups, decided you are "fucking stupid" and thus: deserved a stupid game. Quickly, the series was redesigned to be god of war title with out of place tactical elements. Text became replaced with dialogue wheels; to reduce thinking.

Since the success of Battlefield 3, EA become aware that simply marketing graphics for what they call "stupid people" would allow them to hype the product simply based on presentation. Thus, Dragon Age Inquisition; was a "redeem" button. The press and the fans ate it up,

Being an older, mature gamer; I ignored it, winning significantly. This is the case with many older pc gamers.

How is the game like Skyrim? Sorry, but DAI is its own series formula blown up to a massive scale.

Sorry, but old school RPGs do not age well. As much as I love Ultima when I was a kid, its outdated and a chore to play now. The genre evolved, get over it.

@MBirdy88 said:

@pyro1245 said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Love Divinity, but right now I'm edging towards Dragon Age. It's time to stop being butt hurt that Bioware changed the direction of this series since Origins.

yup. It is what it is; and what it is (besides a big F.U. to fans of the original) is kind of boring. Nice gorgeous areas to explore and be bored in though.

Yea..... fan of the original... this game is far better. (though I preferred the companions in DA:O)

Inquisitions companions are far better, outside Sera, who doesn't fit the game. they are far more nuanced and human, and less clichéd. Varric, Cassandra, and Leliana (who was the only character in DAO I find great) are the series best characters, and Vivenne is a great new character. Less talking codex entry and far more character development than Origins as well.

I respect your opinion . I haven't played Inquisition yet , so can't comment on that but Divinity is best RPG I've played in a long time . Enjoyed it more than any game in recent years , even my hot favorite Witcher 2 . At least for the first time .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

Biggest issue in DAI is that it doesn't allow player to customize the tactics AI party members use. One of the most hyped features in Origins and it was great. You could tell what skills/spells to use, when and against who without constant micromanaging. I don't understand why my mages just love to rush into melee to get killed. In Origins and DA2 I could tell them to run away if enemy gets too close.

In Origins I could go through whole game controlling only my character, but in DAI I'm constantly switching between party members

You can set them to "hold" a position....

He is talking about tactics from Origin , not just asking them to hold their position .

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@MBirdy88 said:

terrible rant post...

I had to use the Tactical camera on dragon fights consistently on normal. The rest is easy... but then so was DA Origins.... DA2 was a mess of a game lets ignore it existed.

Divinty was a nice

DA Origins was a "MEH" high budget nod to games past.... DA: Inq is the best in the series by far... regardless of what friggin genre it is.

Dragon Age: Inquistion is an "action" game. Divinity is what we call a "CRPG" (computer role playing game).

ROLE PLAYING GAME you know what role means? ofc you don't you are ignorant. Anyway people, classify them any way you want, in the end dragon age inquisition is by far the superior game.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Is it possible to turn off tactics while in tactical view? I feel like I'm fighting against my party a bit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Krelian-co said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MBirdy88 said:

terrible rant post...

Divinty was a nice

ROLE PLAYING GAME you know what role means? ofc you don't you are ignorant. Anyway people, classify them any way you want, in the end dragon age isition is by far the superior gam

It seems aside from ripping off Skyrim and betraying the games roots cynical, like; it's a console designed MMO in without other players in which kill 10 X return to NPC. Waste of time.

Appearance seem to make me inclined to agree - Divinity being significantly better. Being a pc designed title (as opposed to a console EA) this is understandable, as well as logical.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Krelian-co

@uninspiredcup said:

@Krelian-co said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@MBirdy88 said:

terrible rant post...

Divinty was a nice

ROLE PLAYING GAME you know what role means? ofc you don't you are ignorant. Anyway people, classify them any way you want, in the end dragon age isition is by far the superior gam

It seems aside from ripping off Skyrim and betraying the games roots cynical, like; it's a console designed MMO in without other players in which kill 10 X return to NPC. Waste of time.

Appearance seem to make me inclined to agree - Divinity being significantly better. Being a pc designed title (as opposed to a console EA) this is understandable, as well as logical.

i came expecting a highly stupid reply, was not disappointed.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#61 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It's more action oriented than Origins, but honestly, it's more like Mass Effect style with deeper party control, which is good IMO. It made a lot of streamlined choices, but after 20 hours, I don't miss the old ways now that I've adapted. It's a lot less clutter and needless minutia.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I haven't played Inquisition yet, but I always viewed the series more as a action game with RPG elements. Divinity OS is a RPG down to it's very core.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 uninspiredcup

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

Biggest issue in DAI is that it doesn't allow player to customize the tactics AI party members use. One of the most hyped features in Origins and it was great. You could tell what skills/spells to use, when and against who without constant micromanaging. I don't understand why my mages just love to rush into melee to get killed. In Origins and DA2 I could tell them to run away if enemy gets too close.

In Origins I could go through whole game controlling only my character, but in DAI I'm constantly switching between party members

He is talking about tactics from Origin , not just asking them to hold their position .

Telling Mass Effect peoples in Lord Of The Rings land to stay still. Very tactical.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Godsdamn it, why can't we like both?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@pelvist said:

Havent played Inquisition, but Divinity OS is one of the best RPGs I have played I a while.

Same here, and I don't plan to play Inquisition. Every other Dragon Age game was complete shit (and yes I include Origins! The battle system was great, but the world and environment were generic and boring as ****!) and this seems no different.

@Cloud_imperium Gold Rush has been bitching about Divinity's story since it first came out, and from the sound of it, he never actually beat the game--pretty fucking stupid to comment on the overarching story of a game you've never actually completed. Just ignore him; he's a fucking moronic Bioware lackey. Usually they stick to their shithole Bioware forums, but every once in a while they emerge to shit on anything not Bioware. He's just upset that a small little company with Kickstarter money was able to best Bioware.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14891 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@pelvist said:

Havent played Inquisition, but Divinity OS is one of the best RPGs I have played I a while.

Same here, and I don't plan to play Inquisition. Every other Dragon Age game was complete shit (and yes I include Origins! The battle system was great, but the world and environment were generic and boring as ****!) and this seems no different.

@Cloud_imperium Gold Rush has been bitching about Divinity's story since it first came out, and from the sound of it, he never actually beat the game--pretty fucking stupid to comment on the overarching story of a game you've never actually completed. Just ignore him; he's a fucking moronic Bioware lackey. Usually they stick to their shithole Bioware forums, but every once in a while they emerge to shit on anything not Bioware. He's just upset that a small little company with Kickstarter money was able to best Bioware.

Wrong, not only did I beat the game, I have all the achievements. Its not well written. The companions are boring and the game's story wants to be wacky instead of meaningful. I find no real identity other than this wackiness.

Once again, Divinity has great combat, but bad role playing. Outside one instance (where in the third "chapter", you have the humans find out about the orc betrayal), choices do not matter in Divinity. No alternate endings, nothing. Take also a ridiculous speechcraft system, and a inferior leveling system to the Fallout games, and inventory clutter. Also, very plastic world, far more so than DAI. Those idiots in Divinity do not know that I completed their quest for them, while in DAI, the area can change.

And do not get me started on the final boss killing the goddess before I even have my turn.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 texasgoldrush

@Icarian said:

First off, Bioware ripped off FFXII's Gambit system for its tactics.

Second, the only way I see mages be at close range is some of their spells require it, or they drew too much agro.

And last, this time, tactics are about skill combos, not positioning like DAO. Its been overhauled to where you want to use other part members to start combos.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 uninspiredcup

@cfisher2833 said:

The young man certainly seemed very angry and defensive about it. Unnaturally so.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Krelian-co

texas is here, this thread is officially ruined.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 cfisher2833

@texasgoldrush said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@pelvist said:

Wrong, not only did I beat the game, I have all the achievements. Its not well written. The companions are boring and the game's story wants to be wacky instead of meaningful. I find no real identity other than this wackiness.

Once again, Divinity has great combat, but bad role playing. Outside one instance (where in the third "chapter", you have the humans find out about the orc betrayal), choices do not matter in Divinity. No alternate endings, nothing. Take also a ridiculous speechcraft system, and a inferior leveling system to the Fallout games, and inventory clutter. Also, very plastic world, far more so than DAI. Those idiots in Divinity do not know that I completed their quest for them, while in DAI, the area can change.

And do not get me started on the final boss killing the goddess before I even have my turn.

Ok, I stand corrected. I will disagree about the writing though. I thought if flowed very well, was rarely cringe worthy, and conveyed a lot of character. I'll also agree that the companions weren't done as well as they could have been; it's not that they didn't have interesting back stories, but simply that the game waited too long before really fleshing them out (waiting until you got to the area relevant to them). If Bioware does do one thing well, it's companions.

I personally didn't have any issues with the leveling or the character customization--many people made some truly amazing builds with it.

I think the heart of the matter just lies in that you were expecting a super serious story, and that's simply not Larian's style, and personally I prefer it when games don't take themselves too seriously as it rarely ever works well.

Sorry for acting douchey btw. This whole Ferguson shit is just pissing me off to no end--that and the fucking stuttering in Far Cry 4.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#71 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: considering the first Dragon Age and all it's expansions were rpg with some tactical elements. Dragon Age 2 was a 3rd person action game with some rpg elements. so Inquisitional being something totally different again would make it totally a "Dragon Age" game again.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Krelian-co

Hey I can ruin threads too ! And I was here before Texas..... Where is the love ? :(

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I don't see where this debate about Dragon Age being an RPG or not started from. Seems like it's just another effort from Bioware haters to demean the series. The RPG genre is broad and includes a variety of different subgenres. Divinity and DA:I both fall under the RPG umbrella, but Divinity is a tactical CRPG whereas DA:I is party-based RPG with action elements. Dark Souls, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, Divinity, Diablo, Dragon Age--these are all RPGs.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

To me this is one MAJOR flaws of inquisition, Dear good the tactics option is pure sh**********t on nightmare you die mainly because ur AI is stupid like a mage attacking a boss right up in his FACE...seriously bioware give us some better tactics options. , no idea why they removed the above options WHY BIOWARE WHHHHY!!!!!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I haven't played either yet, but it appears I'll like DA a bit more.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Apples and Oranges.

And you obviously made this thread just to bash DA instead of actually comparing it to anything.

Thats a b!tch move right there.

This is in no way apples and oranges.

They are both very comparable RPGs. But it's pretty obvious that DA:I is catering to the Mass Effect crowd. But I know how much you like that third person shooter over an actual RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

DAI no contest.

OS is boring outdated trash funded on nostalgia alone.

How do you know ? You've played it ? Oh wait, it's a PC game. Of course you haven't.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@faizanhd

Theres no such thing as just an RPG or True/Pure RPG.... That tells didly squat about the Game.

RPGs will always be tethered to an actual genre e.g: Action RPG, Table Top RPG, Turn Base RPG, etc.

Now... With that information, Divinity is a Turn Base RPG whilest Dragon Age is more Action/Real Time RPG (for the most part) . Its like trying to compare Devil May Cry and Soul Calibur on the basis that you fight with weapons.

Their nothing alike and most importantly theres actually no such thing as just an RPG, unless it remains in its intangible state.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 texasgoldrush

@musalala said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

To me this is one MAJOR flaws of inquisition, Dear good the tactics option is pure sh**********t on nightmare you die mainly because ur AI is stupid like a mage attacking a boss right up in his FACE...seriously bioware give us some better tactics options. , no idea why they removed the above options WHY BIOWARE WHHHHY!!!!!

Than move your mage...and Knight Enchanters can get up close, some spells they have require it.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@musalala said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

The tactic system in Origins is definitely superior, but it's workable in Inquisition albeit picky. What's been working pretty well for me:

Blackwall: Follow himself, prioritize taunt/guard abilities.

Sera: Defend Blackwall, prioritize poison abilities

Dorian: Defend Blackwall, prioritize spirit abilities (barrier especially).

And then there's me, my 2h warrior who backs up Blackwall or defends my range characters when need be. This keeps me out of tactical view for the most part, except when I need to have Sera/Dorian move out of danger.

A "ranged" optioned would be nice to have to make that an automatic response for the AI though. Well a lot more options would be nice...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#81 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I respect your opinion .

You basically just wrote you respect cancer.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts

I just started Inquisition but I highly doubt it tops Divinity. Divinity is a game that makes you think. 95% of games are absent from this mentality.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 uninspiredcup

A game just needs production values and 95% of the gaming population with be clapping it's hands like seals.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Krelian-co

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@musalala said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Icarian said:

Blackwall: Follow himself, prioritize taunt/guard abilities.

Sera: Defend Blackwall, prioritize poison abilities

Dorian: Defend Blackwall, prioritize spirit abilities (barrier especially).

this, i think most people don't understand the tactics option, it is inferior to dao but is not that bad

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@speak_low said:

The complaints about the difficulty of DA:I is kind of confusing. They're kind of saying two different, incompatible things here. So is the game too noobish and easy (since Bioware allegedly "dumbed it down"), or too hard since many are admitting to dying even on Normal? (who is the noob now?)

First of all, if you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you should be playing this on Hard and above. No way a seasoned aficionado should be playing the exact same difficulty as the "filthy casuals/mainstream consolites," if we go by what you say. Most of the reviewers even said Normal was kind of closer to Normal-Easy and that tactics were almost not needed save for 2-3 encounters.

I guarantee you'll be dying more on Hard/Nightmare (there's one brutal encounter about 20 hours in where I just want to watch how complainers allegedly breeze through it on Hard/Nightmare - that should be good entertainment to see the party wipe outs). And this is why you have to up your game and use better positioning and combos this time around. While DA:O was great, we actually got away with a few safer, even lazier, tactics in DA:O if you really think about it.

This time, you cannot have your Tank play multiple roles and be a dual-wielder and archer on the side (you can but they'll be ineffective), or move around where he pleases. You can't randomly split the team up as much - or be my guest and do it anyways, and witness a faster party death with some of the more intense battles. Same goes for your Rogue Archer and Mage. In fact, I never understood why people complain about Mages dying so fast when you need to play them more defensively and positioned in the back behind the tanks, who should NOT always be randomly slashing and taking dmg and trading hits, praying the other guy goes down first. You need to block and build up guard, which means a second Warrior or Mages and Rogues intensify their focus damage on that one troublesome target. Some of this stuff is kind of RPG 101 stuff here.

I'm starting to wonder if people are complaining that the automated stuff isn't making life easier, when you should be more involved on your own in timing your attacks (that would be tactics). Winter's Grasp first, then detonate with a Rogue's Twisted Fang + flanking from Stealth = major damage. If you don't set this up properly, Twisted Fang does considerably less and is almost worthless at times. Same exact move, but two different setups depending on player knowledge. So are you blaming the game because it didn't read your mind in how to set up this incredible combo attack (and many others), which you should always be employing on tougher enemies?

"(there's one brutal encounter about 20 hours in where I just want to watch how complainers allegedly breeze through it on Hard/Nightmare - that should be good entertainment to see the party wipe outs)"

If its the encounter I think you mean ( where the baddie reveals himself) sweet mother of God it was brutal in a good way I didn't even bother defeating the boss as its next to impossible..I even had to relaod a previous save file and level up to the recommended level.

I just wish we had more intricate and precise AI behavior controls, its reached a point where I have to learn ALL the classes as I now manual control them when ever one of them is acting stupid, and I agree you HAVE to utilize cross class combos and exploit enemy weakness,upgrade your gear and control potion usage. Nightmare is truly that ....Nightmare

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#87  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's almost like American detective, vs British detective. One actually has a crime that is thought through and you can try and figure it out before the cops do. The crimes tend to be original and interesting. The other is written by children, you can see the influences of Dora the explorer and action cartoons.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By texasgoldrush

@speak_low said:

The complaints about the difficulty of DA:I is kind of confusing. They're kind of saying two different, incompatible things here. So is the game too noobish and easy (since Bioware allegedly "dumbed it down"), or too hard since many are admitting to dying even on Normal? (who is the noob now?)

First of all, if you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you should be playing this on Hard and above. No way a seasoned aficionado should be playing the exact same difficulty as the "filthy casuals/mainstream consolites," if we go by what you say. Most of the reviewers even said Normal was kind of closer to Normal-Easy and that tactics were almost not needed save for 2-3 encounters.

I guarantee you'll be dying more on Hard/Nightmare (there's one brutal encounter about 20 hours in where I just want to watch how complainers allegedly breeze through it on Hard/Nightmare - that should be good entertainment to see the party wipe outs). And this is why you have to up your game and use better positioning and combos this time around. While DA:O was great, we actually got away with a few safer, even lazier, tactics in DA:O if you really think about it.

This time, you cannot have your Tank play multiple roles and be a dual-wielder and archer on the side (you can but they'll be ineffective), or move around where he pleases. You can't randomly split the team up as much - or be my guest and do it anyways, and witness a faster party death with some of the more intense battles. Same goes for your Rogue Archer and Mage. In fact, I never understood why people complain about Mages dying so fast when you need to play them more defensively and positioned in the back behind the tanks, who should NOT always be randomly slashing and taking dmg and trading hits, praying the other guy goes down first. You need to block and build up guard, which means a second Warrior or Mages and Rogues intensify their focus damage on that one troublesome target. Some of this stuff is kind of RPG 101 stuff here.

I'm starting to wonder if people are complaining that the automated stuff isn't making life easier, when you should be more involved on your own in timing your attacks (that would be tactics). Winter's Grasp first, then detonate with a Rogue's Twisted Fang + flanking from Stealth = major damage. If you don't set this up properly, Twisted Fang does considerably less and is almost worthless at times. Same exact move, but two different setups depending on player knowledge. So are you blaming the game because it didn't read your mind in how to set up this incredible combo attack (and many others), which you should always be employing on tougher enemies?

DAO lets you build a god mage, especially Arcane Blood builds, with Shimmering Shield and Blood Wound. They also have ridiculous spells like Mana Clash. So basically, they out-tank warriors and can solo nightmare. Awakenings adds even more broken builds, this time rogues. DAO is a broken mess when it comes to its RPG system.

DAI is far more balanced, the only hiccup is that you can make Knight Enchanters of Vivienne with God barriers by combo of the specialization and the Spirit magic tree. Look for Bioware to patch that. Bioware nerfed ridiculous assassin builds in DA2.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23890 Posts

I havent played Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I doubt I ever will. But Divinity: Original Sin is a masterpiece, and my personal GOTY.

Beating out Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

I completed Dragon Age last night. Loved the game, but there are some really interesting elements that come up during the game that could have potentially made the ending really interesting (Mass Effect 3 anyone?)

Unfortunately the game plays it relatively safe. Shame. It feels like it is sort of building to a big wtf moment that never arrives

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

DAI is far more balanced, the only hiccup is that you can make Knight Enchanters of Vivienne with God barriers by combo of the specialization and the Spirit magic tree. Look for Bioware to patch that. Bioware nerfed ridiculous assassin builds in DA2.

Haha yeah I thought this was a bug. You can literally kill any boss or dragon by running up and just holding the designated 'soul blade' button down.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Krelian-co

@dommeus said:

@texasgoldrush said:

Haha yeah I thought this was a bug. You can literally kill any boss or dragon by running up and just holding the designated 'soul blade' button down.

at this point i just changed my build to have any kind of challenge, knight enchanter is ridiculous.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93  Edited By Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

what is this Divinity game and how come I never heard of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

A game just needs production values and 95% of the gaming population with be clapping it's hands like seals.

get over yourself cup.... your the biggest fakeboy around.

Dragon Age : Origins was a P*ss easy game even without using the tactics (which you can look at as a double edged sword.... as the lack of micromanagement made most fights automated and simple) ... sorry do you think your smart for setting basic a.i behaviours?

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@speak_low said:

First of all, if you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you should be playing this on Hard and above. No way a seasoned aficionado should be playing the exact same difficulty as the "filthy casuals/mainstream consolites,"

Haha...no.

If you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you'd be playing games like Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Grimrock 2, Lords of Xulima, Expeditions: Conquistador, Banner Saga...(as far as recent releases go)

Not AAAwesome action/cinematic newshit like Dragon Turds.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#96 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@l0ngshot said:

The game was designed for consoles and thus; thinking is removed.

My friend, everything required is explained in my post Reading other posts is a waste of time. Younger gamers these days do not understand what an RPG is.

You're trolling is bad and you should feel bad.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 cfisher2833

@Zaibach said:

Divinity Original Sin is an isometric turn-based RPG with over 70hrs of content, all of which can be played co-op or solo. It currently has a metacritic rating avg of 87 (it's amazing), is a GOTY contendor on Gamespot, and the likely reason you've never heard of it is because it's a PC exclusive that is very, very unlikely to ever be released on consoles (the controls and the way you interact with the world would have to be thoroughly revamped), so it didn't get a ton of attention from sites like IGN.

It's 20% atm on steam , and it's also available on GOG if you don't like DRM.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Krelian-co

@bussinrounds said:

@speak_low said:

First of all, if you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you should be playing this on Hard and above. No way a seasoned aficionado should be playing the exact same difficulty as the "filthy casuals/mainstream consolites,"

Haha...no.

If you consider yourself a classic cRPG fan, you'd be playing games like Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Grimrock 2, Lords of Xulima, Expeditions: Conquistador, Banner Saga...(as far as recent releases go)

Not AAAwesome action/cinematic newshit like Dragon Turds.

omg can i be like you? divinity is a great game but dragon age is the better game, complex =/= better

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 uninspiredcup

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

get over yourself cup.... your the biggest fakeboy around.

Dragon Age : Origins was a P*ss easy game even without using the tactics (which you can look at as a double edged sword.... as the lack of micromanagement made most fights automated and simple) ... sorry do you think your smart for setting basic a.i behaviours?

My friend; iv won awards.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#100 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@Zaibach said:

Divinity Original Sin is an isometric turn-based RPG with over 70hrs of content, all of which can be played co-op or solo. It currently has a metacritic rating avg of 87 (it's amazing), is a GOTY contendor on Gamespot, and the likely reason you've never heard of it is because it's a PC exclusive that is very, very unlikely to ever be released on consoles (the controls and the way you interact with the world would have to be thoroughly revamped), so it didn't get a ton of attention from sites like IGN.

It's 20% atm on steam , and it's also available on GOG if you don't like DRM.

Thank you for the info, I am currently trying to power through DA:O right now on PC and I'm finding a bit dense.