D.I.C.E. Awards - The Last of Us didn't win ...

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

TLOU deserved every award except art direction. No idea how it won that.

Probably because of the detail put into the game world

If thats the case then GTA's world was way more detailed and way more impressive.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@happyduds77 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@happyduds77 said:

@Nike_Air said:

• Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: The Last of Us

How is the last of us innovative?

That award goes to GTA V in my opinion.

Ok sure, TLOU isn't really innovative...

but seriously? You think GTA is somehow more innovative?

GTA V is the biggest and the most detailed open world game and has three playable characters to switch between while playing the game in a flawless manner. And the game switches from in-game cutscene to gameplay without ever showing a loading screen. And then there is GTA Online.

- biggest open World game = Just Cause (2?)

- no loading screens is nothing new

- GTA online is probably the most innovative thing there, but even that isn't THAT innovative.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

This is why I hate mainstream gaming. There were so many sleeper hit games that I enjoyed more than TLOU, and they aren't even recognized.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It should have won everything, even the stuff it wasn't nominated for!!! This is bullshit!!

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55  Edited By longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Did BS:I really have original music? All I heard was Mozart, Beach Boys, Scott Joplin and various religous songs.

Yeah it had a pretty great OST on top of the use of historical music.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

This is why I hate mainstream gaming. There were so many sleeper hit games that I enjoyed more than TLOU, and they aren't even recognized.

keyword "YOU"

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

TLOU deserved every award except art direction. No idea how it won that.

Dat winter chapter

Honestly though The Wolf Among Us should've won best art direction, but I understand why TLOU got it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Krelian-co

Yes it did. Actually thats better than it sounds considering how some ga,es don't even get the basics right

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Top 5 GOAT gets the accolades and awards.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#60 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Krelian-co: technically, it's keyword "I". Maybe it's that I'm not okay with the same game taking up most of the awards when other games do it better but were ignored because they werent mainstream or didn't have the money to be mainstream (marketing).

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

like if over 200 awards weren't enough... Oh dear, Sony's killing it!

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

@Krelian-co: technically, it's keyword "I". Maybe it's that I'm not okay with the same game taking up most of the awards when other games do it better but were ignored because they werent mainstream or didn't have the money to be mainstream (marketing).

but they didn't, hipsters like to blame that it was because last of us is mainstream but that doesn't matter, it deserved the awards.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I still haven't even bought this game. Waiting until I can get it for $20 or less.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Sony exclusive have won Game Of The Year 5 out the last 9 years. Before consoles and PC were merged together Little Big Planet won console game of the year. Microsoft doesn't even come close in quality and Nintendo just makes the same games repeatedly that no one cares about any more.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

@soulitane: TLOU not innovative? Well in a generation where fast twitch shooters dominate the market, Naughty Dog said well let's do the complete opposite and slow down the gameplay. In a market dominated by brain dead zombies, Naughty Dog said let's try something new, let's make then infected instead of undead, let's give all the infected a different class. Let's introduce story telling into a zombie game for once. Let's make a multiplayer based on stealth instead of the usual COD-ified fast twitch shooters. A completely new IP with new game design that succeeded. Haters gone hate

Absolutely none of what you said is innovative. It's different to the norm but none of it was innovative. It's a fantastic game but it is hardly innovative.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

@soulitane:Naughty Dog said let's try something new, let's make then infected instead of undead, let's give all the infected a different class.

You just described L4D

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#67  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

@happyduds77 said:

@Nike_Air said:

Idk what game was actually innovative last year though. People say Super Mario 3D world but shit there's been 3D platformers since PS1. I really don't know honestly.. i guess Beyond 2 Souls but i wouldn't wanna award it anything.

So you can't innovate within an existing genre?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

The Last of Us was one of the best game in last Gen ND really did an amazing job and I can't wait for the DLC this coming Friday!

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Wow, are they seriously confusing Adventure with Action Adventure?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@megaspiderweb09 said:

I think people who dislike TLOU will not agree it was innovative so no point in debating with them in the first place. If a consensus of developers agree with me that TLOU was innovative, then i think my sanity is in check, unlike some people who cannot objectively analyse subjects without resorting to fan boy nonesense, that is not to say i am not a fan boy and i lack bias, but i can clearly welcome critic and observe a subject from a non fan perspective.

The gun fights and combat alone makes the game play like no other game, please critics mention any other game with a combat system like TLOU. While not every design choice was pulled off with flying colours, you can see that ND has their sights on things a lot of dev ignore, things like AI in particular, while it was not properly done, it did create moments of magic where you feel sooner or later, ND will master how to make an enemy AI feel relevant in a battle scene. Not just canon fodder of waves of same faces rushing to the slaughter but hey whatever right, fanboys gonna fanboy

I liked TLOU but it's not innovative at all.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

• Downloadable Game of the Year: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

The **** out of here.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#72 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@happyduds77: agreed, TLOU was great but I did everything in that game before. Nothing innovating there. Wasn't my GOTY , but it is the popular choice and a great game.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lmao MS getting a consolation prize with Flopza.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@happyduds77 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@happyduds77 said:

@Nike_Air said:

Ok sure, TLOU isn't really innovative...

but seriously? You think GTA is somehow more innovative?

GTA V is the biggest and the most detailed open world game and has three playable characters to switch between while playing the game in a flawless manner. And the game switches from in-game cutscene to gameplay without ever showing a loading screen. And then there is GTA Online.

- biggest open World game = Just Cause (2?)

- no loading screens is nothing new

- GTA online is probably the most innovative thing there, but even that isn't THAT innovative.

Well most detailed if not biggest. Ok please name a game that transfers from in-game cutscene to gameplay seamlessly?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@megaspiderweb09 said:

I think people who dislike TLOU will not agree it was innovative so no point in debating with them in the first place. If a consensus of developers agree with me that TLOU was innovative, then i think my sanity is in check, unlike some people who cannot objectively analyse subjects without resorting to fan boy nonesense, that is not to say i am not a fan boy and i lack bias, but i can clearly welcome critic and observe a subject from a non fan perspective.

The gun fights and combat alone makes the game play like no other game, please critics mention any other game with a combat system like TLOU. While not every design choice was pulled off with flying colours, you can see that ND has their sights on things a lot of dev ignore, things like AI in particular, while it was not properly done, it did create moments of magic where you feel sooner or later, ND will master how to make an enemy AI feel relevant in a battle scene. Not just canon fodder of waves of same faces rushing to the slaughter but hey whatever right, fanboys gonna fanboy

TLOU is basically a modern day version of Manhunt, they have a lot of similarities such as the level of violence, the similar stealth system using distractions, enemies actually being aggressive and deadly but it not being game over as soon as you're spotted like some stealth games. It's obvious a much slicker game what with Manhunt being 10 years older, but I always saw TLOU as being very similar to it.

As for the other awards I'm disappointed DOTA 2 didn't win best online game (World of Tanks...really?) but I don't know if that qualified considering the weird release schedule.