Current Generation of Consoles to last 10 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YourExpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YourExpert
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

I think they should.  Intresting read here

Link 

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I think the PS3 will beat the 360 coming in 2nd to Wii, but saying that it's going to beat the Wii is laughable.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
I don't know about 10 years,but I predict the Ps3 and 360 to still be selling 7 years from now.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts
I think that the PS3 is the only console with the horsepower nessissary to last 10 years.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
Patcher or whatever his name was said PS3 will be the most suceesful, but also said HD-DVD will win in that article. In my opinion if blu-ray fails PS3 will too
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts

I think that the PS3 is the only console with the horsepower nessissary to last 10 years. FoamingPanda

took the words right out of my mouth. sony consoles have always had the 10 year life cycle. psone did it. ps2 is on the verge of doing it now in its seventh year and going strong.

wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
in a few years both will be obsolete.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
PS3 is the only one built to last that long...... without bigger storage capacity 360 will barely survive the next couple years. The Wii is gone as soon as the hype around it dies and the price is like $100. The Wii could last a long time like Gameboy or something but there will be a new console soon.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts

Patcher or whatever his name was said PS3 will be the most suceesful, but also said HD-DVD will win in that article. In my opinion if blu-ray fails PS3 will tooAce_WondersX

Mmm he clearly said that he thinks Sony will win the format war.

Anyways this one seems to have lasted longer due to the PS2 but let's see if anyone launches the rocket early like MS did. 

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dualshockin
I think that the PS3 is the only console with the horsepower nessissary to last 10 years. FoamingPanda
Rightfully said.It all boils down to which console can handle the devs needs in the future,and the Ps3 is the only console that can accomplish all their needs. I can't wait to hear MGS4 being ported onto the 360 as a boxed set.
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

Despite, or perhaps because of, the hardware of the PS3, Sony will announce a new machine before Nintendo or Microsoft, thus ending the generation.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
The PS3 will, I can't say the same for the other two.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dualshockin

Despite, or perhaps because of, the hardware of the PS3, Sony will announce a new machine before Nintendo or Microsoft, thus ending the generation.

Iyethar
The Wii 2 will be out before 2009,not too sure about the Xbox 720.
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Iyethar
[QUOTE="Iyethar"]

Dualshockin

No.  There will be no incentive for the market-leading Wii or the profitable 360 to disrupt their software flow by instituting a generational shift.  The generation will end with a new entrant or Sony attempting another run at the brass ring.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Until the PS3 has a game out that blows the 360 out of the water in terms of graphics I don't see any of them lasting 10 years. The 360 is going to be replaced in maximum 5 years, and I doubt the Wii will last any longer. Sony might make the PS3 like the PS2 is now but I'd see that as a mistake, because GoW 2 on the PS3 would have been huge.
XYZVector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 XYZVector
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts

in 10 years the PS3 & 360 will be so oldschool, who knows what they will have by then! Thats a very bold, and silly question. PS3 still selling in 10 years heck they can't even sell it now :roll:

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="Iyethar"]

Iyethar

No. There will be no incentive for the market-leading Wii or the profitable 360 to disrupt their software flow by instituting a generational shift. The generation will end with a new entrant or Sony attempting another run at the brass ring.

We'll see what market the Wii leads in 2009,when the biggest title on it,Mario Galaxy,is out,and the biggest Ps3 title,Gran Turismo 5,is out.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Not the Wii. I give it 4-5 years.
BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts
One of the reason I had no problem buying a ps3 is sony always supports their old systems even when the new one comes out ie gow2 on the ps2. Nintendo and ms kill their console when the new one comes out and force you to upgrade or be left with no games ie cube and xbox.
Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts

no.  by then, processing power and graphical power will be quintuple what it is now atleast (seeing as how that seems in line with this "peak" were supposedly coming towards in technology)

right now 360's pretty even with dx10 games, but in 10 years, the console will age terribly.

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Iyethar
[QUOTE="Iyethar"][QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="Iyethar"]

Dualshockin

No. There will be no incentive for the market-leading Wii or the profitable 360 to disrupt their software flow by instituting a generational shift. The generation will end with a new entrant or Sony attempting another run at the brass ring.

We'll see what market the Wii leads in 2009,when the biggest title on it,Mario Galaxy,is out,and the biggest Ps3 title,Gran Turismo 5,is out.

I guess we will.  I don't think that we'll have to wait until 2009 for Galaxy though. 

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
everything would become woefully outdated. 
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

i dont think any of the hardware will last ten years form now when pc tech goes so rapidly..

the ten years thing comes from sony hq so you dont feel so ripped by paying the cash for a ps3..

haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts

No, there is no chance that they will last ten years.

Just look at PC-games now, crysis>everything coming for consoles within the close future.

Imagine PC-games in ten years, or just in 5 when Microsoft will launch the next box. Current hardware will be ancient even earlier then last gen.

NOt to mention that Wii is struggling to be considered next-gen now, ten years, don't think so.

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts

What he said doesn't make sence!!! He claims the Wii will probebly sell like crazy for the next 2 years but

after the price of the other 2 consoles drop that the Wii will fall behind...as if! If the Wii keeps going

at the pace it is it will be the biggest console and have maaaasive support. In 2 years time dev's

would be much better with the controls and everything will just get even better :) 

YourExpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 YourExpert
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

I still disagree with everyone about it not lasting 10 years.  Horsepower has very little to do with the life of the console. Hell the psx 1 was still successful years after the gamecube/ps2/xbox generation had launched.  People just cared about the quality games and not the power behind them.   I

It all is gonna depend on if each console maker plays by the rules.   If all are willing to wait to release a new console then they will last 10 years.  However, if one jumps the gun then it puts pressure on the other 2. 

Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts

None of them will last for 10 years! 

If the Wii can proove that the Wimote is capable of more complex gameplay, it will last 4-5 years (if not it will be replaced in 3 years)

If X360 can solve the hardwareproblems and get a more broader game-portfolio, it will last 6-7 years (if not it will be replaced in 4-5 years)

If BR wins the format war and PS3 gets "many" good games, it will last for 7-8 years (if not 3-4 years and it will be gone)

shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

I think they should.  Intresting read here

Link 

YourExpert

I agree with you, I hope that this gen consoles last a LONG time..... 

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#31 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
I could see Sony wanting to hold onto the PS3 for as long as possible, given the amount of time & money that went into that system. But MS has had the extra year benefit this year of being out and Nintendo knows there hardware will need a significant upgrade, those two will probably be racing to be out first in 2010-2011.
xX0LDSCH00LXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xX0LDSCH00LXx
Member since 2007 • 1423 Posts
I think the PS3 will beat the 360 coming in 2nd to Wii, but saying that it's going to beat the Wii is laughable. majadamus
All you fanboys are in for a surprise
xX0LDSCH00LXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xX0LDSCH00LXx
Member since 2007 • 1423 Posts
One of the reason I had no problem buying a ps3 is sony always supports their old systems even when the new one comes out ie gow2 on the ps2. Nintendo and ms kill their console when the new one comes out and force you to upgrade or be left with no games ie cube and xbox.BrooklynBomber
They are supporting the 360 at the end of its life cycle in another 4 yrs because it will, at that time be the PS2's new successor which will put Sony in a tough position seeing that their relying solely on profits right now from the PS2 in their games devision.
Avatar image for Eternal_mage356
Eternal_mage356

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eternal_mage356
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
The only console that can last ten years is the PS3. Wether or not it'll be succesful in those 10 years remains to be seen. but X360's DVD format will be seriously holding it back from being a serious competitor as early as 2-3 years from now. Wii won't be recognized because PS3 and 360 will be so cheap andso much better than it that Wii would seem like a rip off. Why buy Wii for 100 when 360 and PS3 are 200 250 respectively? But Nintendo will come out with something new before that happens.