Current gen plus 720p

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

There's a thread on Neogaf about how downsampling help games to look much better on PC but I have read posts of users that say that on PS4 when you play 1080p games on a 720 TV the downsampling creates a lot of jaggies.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

my friend who own a ps3 doesnt even use a hdmi cable to connect his console to his 1080p tv, u are not as bad as him but still pretty lame. get a 1080p tv brah

If he's using RGB component, it's still capable of 1080p.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

People cmon the quality of the display is not just 720p vs 1080p. The quality of the display plays a huge factor. Most 1080p set are edge lit or lcd's with horrible black levels. The colors are nasty and the contrast is horrible. Yet all people see is 1080p.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

All I can tell from testing between the 3 for 2 days is 720p is slightly more grainy. 1080 interlaced there is more of a shimmer moving around the environment vs progressive scanning. 1080p is pretty much the best you can get of both worlds right now. on a 32 inch tv I think the difference is so slight it does not warrant spending more money. it will probably annoy me enough to death though where I will because i'm a moron like that though. but it is so slight it's ridiculous. I can see where people say they can tell the difference but it's so very slight. thing is even at 1080p you are still going to get a slight shimmer. depending on response time, refresh rate etc.... switching between 720p and 1080i still get a slight shimmer but its less pronounced. There is a difference I can say that much. How much of a difference is kind of ridiculous. I think i'm pretty fair and unbiased in my assessment here. I did all the tests myself. On bigger screen 1080p vs 720p might be more noticeable but you are still talking about a ton of pixels either way and are pushing the same polygons regardless. at 720p im probably getting better framerates. So there is an advantage too.

Anyways can't believe I spend 2 hours last night and like an hour doing this today. That's 3 hours of my life I can't get back lol.

All these tests were done using a ps4 and infamous second son. Panasonic 32 inch 720p tv with 1080 interlaced 8ms response time and 60hz refresh which seems pretty standard, and a 23 inch 1080p monitor with 7 ms response time and 60hz refresh.

If I buy a 1080p tv it would most likely be 40 inch, 4 ms response or whatever I can find for $500 which is about what it would cost for a decent brand. I think if I do I'm ridiculous because it's so slight a difference it's absurd.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@lostrib said:

lol 720p

I'll add something to the sentence. LOL 720p in 2014.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@santoron said:

The new consoles offer more than just resolution bumps for games. You'll definitely notice the improvement in graphics quality, even on your 720p TV.

If you're happy with your current picture quality, I say pick a new console up as soon as a game is out that you want. If you hate your current TV, get a new one first, then splurge on the console.

@Heirren said:

There's more to image quality than pixels. Most people don't know what they are talking about in this regard.

Visual quality is more than just mathematics. That's not to say that resolution isn't important, but since the viewing distance relative to the screen size factors into this, all those other graphical features are equally important to the equation. There's texture resolution, polygonal design, particle count, anti-aliasing, filtering, HDR lighting, shadow rendering, surface mapping, tesselation, the size of environments, the amount of independent moving objects, and so on.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I think 720p is fine........on my small 14" laptop, that is. I suppose it's okay too for those mini-suitcase console containers with LCD screen.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jun_aka_pekto

Speaking of 720p.....

When I run a 1080p game at 720p on my PC, I get a big performance boost. Is it the same for the new consoles?