Crytek CEO: Team Fortress 2 is not a real free to play game, in a sense

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

source

Gaf

Copy pasting whole gaf post

Cryteks CEO Cervat Yerlis been swung by free-to-play gaming, hes pushing to have every future Crytek title run on the model - the first of which will be Warface, which Jeremy was very taken with last week. Though, Yerlis not so keen on how Valve turned Team Fortress 2 into a free-to-play game: Team Fortress 2 is not a real free to play game, in a sense.

I kind of think it's a 70% free to play title. It's on the way to be there, it's a good model and it works for them, but there is still pay to win there and I don't like that.

Valves version of free-to-play sees the base game being entirely free but a charge being placed on custom content. Largely this is purely cosmetic gear; the infamous hats. However, not all of it is cosmetic. There are also whole new item sets such as new weapons and apparel that apply bonuses to qualities like damage and hit points. This is what Yerli objects to There's some great experiment there, with user-generated content, but you buy items. You have to buy items.

In his view, a free to play game doesn't allow you to sell items. This is the issue I have with that. We would allow communities to create items for virtual currency, but you can't really go with commercial items because that's pay to win. So that's why I'm saying I'm disapproving of the concept of Team Fortress 2, because that is effectively not quite free to play. The only thing that's free-to-play there is they I can just go into the game and play it. But there's a piece of game I can't access without spending money.

With free-to-play being bandied about as term so much now its easy to forget that its not one single homogenous business model and that, in fact, there are very different ways of implementing it. Valve have always suggested that theyre experimenting with how to create a working model of the system so it will be interesting to see how their future games change up the system.

At least Warface is a true free to play g...

Which brings me to whats likely to be Warfaces most divisive feature - resurrection coins. Acquirable only in bulk via the in-game store, coins allow players instant revival in co-op. In practice, I found that they could be used strategically, to jump back into existence at an opportune moment - for instance, as soon as my killers back was turned.

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli described a situation in which his group failed to reach a checkpoint by such a thin margin that he wished hed cashed in a coin to save them. It is something for convenience, he said. Normally a game design like that, I've seen it in other games when you just [have to] wait til they get to the next checkpoint - they don't have the mechanic to respawn at all. Its [virtual] money for the greater good of the group.

Not sure if 2nd bit is true..but just in case.

#2 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

And crysis 3 is not even a game.Its a tech demo.

#3 Posted by super600 (30865 posts) -

You have to pay for instant respawn in co-op mode.:lol:

#4 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
There was exactly one instance of TF2 having a pay-to-win problem with the first item sets and the accompanying hats, and Valve instantly realized their blunder and proceeded to not do that again.
#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

crytek is TOO talktive...

Didn't they say they going go 100% free play by next gen? How they going get money?  Thank you

"Which brings me to whats likely to be Warfaces most divisive feature - resurrection coins. Acquirable only in bulk via the in-game store, coins allow players instant revival in co-op."

let me guess respawn timer 5 minutes? 10 minutes? YA i rather by a hat for my mil on the wii because i give you penny for that...

#6 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Shut up Yerlis. Just shut up for our sakes, please.

#7 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

This guy is getting on David Cage levels of outspokeness. That's definitely a bad thing.

#8 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

AKA "it's so good that I don't consider it Free2play, They dont rip off their customers."

#10 Posted by mitu123 (154478 posts) -

Goyoshi12
I agree, he's gotten out of hands lately.
#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

You have to pay for instant respawn in co-op mode.:lol:

heeweesRus

No you don't. You pay with in game credits earned from killing robots.

soo What their choice of how they going make money? this crytek fool cry foul at everything but, gives nothing in return in making it better...
#12 Posted by ferret-gamer (17352 posts) -

There are very few items in tf2 that can only be purchased through the store, and none of them have any sort of impact in the game, they are just cosmetic, tools like gift wrap/keys, or do things like track stats.

#13 Posted by MstaPrimeMnista (1073 posts) -
And neither is any other online game if you play on XBL.
#14 Posted by wis3boi (31702 posts) -

There are very few items in tf2 that can only be purchased through the store, and none of them have any sort of impact in the game, they are just cosmetic, tools like gift wrap/keys, or do things like track stats.

ferret-gamer

Yerli is just jelly that he doesn't have valve's success levels

#15 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7528 posts) -

Most or all weaps can be received from drops, and the pay to stuff are cosmetic.

Theres no pay to win there, he has never played the game. Besides most players (except 24/7 old time pubbers) on there are scrub anyway they can give them %30 hp buff and it wouldn't matter.

#16 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6839 posts) -
Why do they keep interviewing CryTek? They're not that interesting.
#17 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11977 posts) -

For the love of god stop talking Crytek. Every word that has come out of their mouth recently has been complete sh*t. Has EA really corrupted them that much?

#18 Posted by Heil68 (46127 posts) -
I haven't played a lot of the game, but I've never spent a dime on it.
#19 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2760 posts) -

I want two things from Crytek:

1. Their F2P model fails hard

2. They let the Crysis series to rest

#20 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

STFU Crytek always talking out of ya ass now, TF2 is pay to win now? All the weapons from the store are balanced and can be found for free in drops. Your pay to win Crytek.

#21 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Who keeps giving Crytek all these interviews? These guys never seem to shut the f*ck up. 

#22 Posted by nextgenjoke (2123 posts) -

Micro transactions make free to play games....''NOT FREE TO PLAY'' because you cant access every item that can be used to in the game so it's ''NOT FREE TO PLAY''.

#25 Posted by nextgenjoke (2123 posts) -

consumers would rather just make one transaction to access everything the game has to offer  instead of making dozens of transactions to eventually get everything in the game.

free to play is just a terrible idea.

#27 Posted by TheGuardian03 (22129 posts) -
this cevat should shut up, do they interview him everyday? lol
#28 Posted by nextgenjoke (2123 posts) -

Xbox live arcade is just like shareware every title you actually download the full game and part of it is playable for free and you just gotta pay to unlock the full game.

That's a hell of alot better.

#29 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I don't know what's wrong with this guy, really...

Crytek honestly scares me these days... :?

#30 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -

And the most annoying person in the gaming industry award goes to..... Cervat Yerlis!

Seriously, this guy needs to shut the hell up, people are tired of hearing this guy flap his lips.

#31 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17651 posts) -

My God just shut up man! Really getting sick of Crytek at this point....

#32 Posted by 001011000101101 (4026 posts) -
Do these people ever do anything else but say stupid **** all the time?
#33 Posted by Planeforger (15934 posts) -
Well, he's wrong. It's not pay to win. Not even close. Yes, it's true there were a handful of item sets released quite a few years ago, that gave minor set bonuses. There was one for each class, and they mostly sucked - that's more of a pay-to-lose model than anything else. It's silly to bring that up as a sign that the whole game is screwed. Also, the equipment you have is far less important than your skill level. A skilled player with the default equipment will beat less-skilled players with any loadout the vast majority of the time. The item system provides alternate playstyles, sure, but they're more like sidegrades than anything else.
#34 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

I think Cevat Yerli is going mad due to the depression induced by crysis 3's low scores and abysmal sales.

#35 Posted by faizan_faizan (7867 posts) -
Shut up.
#36 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

This guy is such a moronic, loudmouth, crybaby.

I just wonder how many tears he will shed when their trash Kinect game fails miserably ...

CRYmoarTEK QQ

#37 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2760 posts) -

Well, I'm in a bit of difficult situation. A part of me wants that they never recover those $66M they spent on Crysis 3 so Crysis series could take a rest as they already ruined it after Warhead on the other hand I don't want them to go F2P by loosing that money since CryEngine 3 is just so awesome and I can't see all its potential being wasted on crappy F2P games.:cry: What has happened to the good old Crytek. I want them back.

#38 Posted by dommeus (9416 posts) -

Ad based free to play should be the model they role out, much like television.

Pay a subscription, choose a game, play the game, deal with the ads.

They would have to break up single player experiences sensibly, but it is the only way that games being entirely 'free' makes sense.

#39 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3262 posts) -
Yerli sure does love to talk, doesn't he? Too bad idiotic statements like these aren't just making him look bad, but Crytek in general as well. He really, really, really should shut up.
#40 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (441 posts) -
He has gone off the deep end.
#41 Posted by NoodleFighter (7174 posts) -

Oh how the mighty have fallen

#42 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

This guy is such a moronic, loudmouth, crybaby.

I just wonder how many tears he will shed when their trash Kinect game fails miserably ...

CRYmoarTEK QQ

KiZZo1

I think that was cancelled.

#43 Posted by MBirdy88 (8582 posts) -

NoodleFighter
They were never mighty.... Just made good engines.
#44 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2760 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

MBirdy88

Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis: Warhead says hi.

On a side note, I don't understand where the hell did he get money that he keeps opening new studios. I don't think Crysis 2 was a success and by the looks of things Crysis 3 isn't doing good either yet they have 9 studios world wide.

#45 Posted by MBirdy88 (8582 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

zeeshanhaider

Yea, and i say mediocre gameplay empty sandboxes with broken multiplayer than in no means deserves 9.5 on graphics alone. needless to say, they don't like me and I dont like them ;)
#46 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2760 posts) -

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] They were never mighty.... Just made good engines.MBirdy88

Yea, and i say mediocre gameplay empty sandboxes with broken multiplayer than in no means deserves 9.5 on graphics alone. needless to say, they don't like me and I dont like them ;)

It wasn't just graphics otherwise Crysis 3 would get a 10. All three of these games had genre defining gameplay, much ahead of their times. God knows what happened to the good old Crytek.

#47 Posted by FashionFreak (2291 posts) -

TF2 isn't pay2win. I haven't seen a single weapon that could that magically turns a baddie into a pro.  The Mann Co Store is a cosmetic hat simulator.

#48 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Around 70% of the original weapons are generally viewed as the best, most versatile. There's a couple things like the Wrangler that are basically superior, but they're rare. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about.

#49 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

Goyoshi12

#50 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73503 posts) -
The only concern i have with that is how they are going to make money if they don't charge anything at all