Crysis - The Number 3 (Good, Long Read; 56k no; GOTY yes)

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts

Reassuringly for those with delicate tastes, Crysis is three games rolled in one, each with it's own unique physics system and rule set, arranged into a traditional sci-fi storyline of investigation, disaster and resistance. The second of those sees the island around an alien landing site, hotly contested by US Delta and North Korean Army forces, frozen solid in a split second. The surprise: by the time it all happens you've seen the spacecraft interior already. The reveal: breathtaking, as you'd imagine.

How busy a set-piece it will be is unclear - Crytek is only now populating the level and wants its biggest enemies kept close to its chest. But evidently the entire game will be transformed. Incursion will turn to retreat, the deform-heavy environment will simply shatter, and the North Koreans, with their fragile limbs and dependence on gravity, will make way for aliens with better exoskeletons than yours.

Snow is falling, then, in myriad sizes and directions, while banks of volumetric fog buffet your concave visor and thicken in the mountain's pits and troughs. And you're running, eyes looking forwards to the treacherous rocks and back to the alien advance. There's a story section - one of many to exploit the gaps between fights - and at the glazed wall of the sphere is your escape route: a broken bridge and a transitional load.

As Crysis evolves from here, VTOL aircraft and helicopters will be flown, gravity boots will be worn and one by one the legacies of Far Cry will be stripped away in the name of progress. But like Far Cry and Far Cry alone, a lot happens before you take your first step. Crytek likes a game in which you think rather than react, and thanks to Crysis' nanosuit there are planty of options. Both mouse and keyboard can navigate the suit's petal menu, which manages upgrades to armour, speed, strength and stealth (also known as cloak). And keyboard navigation is as fast as you'd hope, fingers tripped up only by the need to cycle through the options for your modular rifle. The inevitable nana-energy bar is there to stop you bunny-hopping through levels with impunity, armour providing a default mode that could see you through the entire game should the need for authenticy grab you.

And that's the deal with Crysis: you go into it without knowing quite what to expect, and come out knowing that you don't have to expect anything. If you want Halo, with its run-and-thwack combat and close encounters, then you can forget the nanosuit and hop in the nearest jeep, a finger reserved soley for the melee key. For Crackdown kicks, you just vault a hundred feet into a crowd of soldiers and become a whirlwind of airborne bodies. For Metal Gear Solid, creep to within breathing distance of the outermost gaurd and grab his throat with a camouflaged hand, using him as a human flak jacket if it all goes wrong. A (for once) genuine FPS sandbox, Crysis feels like play where other games feel like work.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Although it will be an excellent game. Spore is going to win GOTY.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Crysis is going to be amazing; but everyone seems to thing the game has no substance- this is obviously wrong, as the gameplay will be revolutionary.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TrueReligion_
Although it will be an excellent game. Spore is going to win GOTY.foxhound_fox
Assuming it comes out this year.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Assuming it comes out this year.TrueReligion_

Very true. *crosses fingers*
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]Assuming it comes out this year.foxhound_fox

Very true. *crosses fingers*

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to play it. :)
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

New HDTV or a New PC? :?

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 baddog121390

PS3_3DO

I would say PC, because then you could play Crysis in HD.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
Most likely, unless something happens and its lacking somehow. Thats the type of game were it seams a lot of stuff could go wrong.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 baddog121390
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Although it will be an excellent game. Spore is going to win GOTY.Bansheesdie
Most likely, unless something happens and its lacking somehow. Thats the type of game were it seams a lot of stuff could go wrong.

Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bansheesdie
Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
baddog121390
I think Crysis is going to be something very special, right now its about 10 different kinds of hottness. That being said, I'm still 100% behind Halo 3 for winning best shooter of '07. Thats why I want Crysis to be released in '07, so it can loose to the powerhouse that is Halo.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

baddog121390

Yeah but will I have time to play it once Halo 3 is out. ;)

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"]Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
Bansheesdie
I think Crysis is going to be something very special, right now its about 10 different kinds of hottness. That being said, I'm still 100% behind Halo 3 for winning best shooter of '07. Thats why I want Crysis to be released in '07, so it can loose to the powerhouse that is Halo.

Explain to me how Halo 3 will be better than Crysis. Powerhouse that is Halo? That's like somebody saying they can't wait for Nas's new CD to come out and loose to the "powerhouse" that is  50 Cent.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

PS3_3DO

That is if you will even care about Halo 3 after you've tried it. *MEGA wink*

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bansheesdie
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
baddog121390

Explain to me how Halo 3 will be better than Crysis. Powerhouse that is Halo? That's like somebody saying they can't wait for Nas's new CD to come out and loose to the "powerhouse" that is  50 Cent.

From everything that the Halo franchise is, being compared to the best of the best shooters on the PC for one.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
all these good comp games and me without a good comp to run them :(
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
Bansheesdie

Explain to me how Halo 3 will be better than Crysis. Powerhouse that is Halo? That's like somebody saying they can't wait for Nas's new CD to come out and loose to the "powerhouse" that is 50 Cent.

From everything that the Halo franchise is, being compared to the best of the best shooters on the PC for one.

It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bansheesdie
It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
baddog121390
I'm surprised that you can say that so confidently when we know slim to none about Halo 3s gameplay.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"]It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
Bansheesdie
I'm surprised that you can say that so confidently when we know slim to none about Halo 3s gameplay.

So you're telling me that Bungie changed Halo's core gameplay? If the leaked videos are of any indication - it seems like they sticked to their well-known traditional run-n-gun gameplay.
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bansheesdie
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
baddog121390

So you're telling me that Bungie changed Halo's core gameplay? If the leaked videos are of any indication - it seems like they sticked to their well-known traditional run-n-gun gameplay.

Well, as much as about 30 seconds of gameplay can show you're probably right. I do not know what Bungie has changed, I would bet they have changed some stuff around. What that might be? I haven't the slightest clue.
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 xLegend24
Member since 2007 • 814 Posts

[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
baddog121390

How is that bad? It worked for them in the last 2 games.Why would you change the gameplay in a trilogy drastically anyways? Bungie pretty much planned this as a run-n-gun game in the first place.

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 baddog121390

[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
xLegend24

How is that bad? It worked for them in the last 2 games.Why would you change the gameplay in a trilogy drastically anyways? Bungie pretty much planned this as a run-n-gun game in the first place.

I didn't say it was bad. Was it the way I said it? Would gun-n-run sound better? :P
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]It's stated in my post that you could do everything in Crysis that Halo 3 is to offer. That's the thing, Halo, as a whole, only has Halo to offer - while Crysis has an upheaval of new and refined game mechanics.
xLegend24

Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 baddog121390
[QUOTE="xLegend24"]

Vandalvideo

Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.

*Looks at BF2142*

I have to agree with you there. :)
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bansheesdie
Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Vandalvideo
We shall see won't we? Halo 3 will be more groundbreaking then Halo 2, with better gameplay then Halo: Combat Evolved.
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xLegend24
[QUOTE="xLegend24"]

Vandalvideo

Atleast hopefully this is their last Halo game.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

PS3_3DO

well farcry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>halo/2 and I can't see that changing since crysis is adding many new things while halo 3 from when we have seen is just halo 2 with sligtly better graphics
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 baddog121390
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Bansheesdie
We shall see won't we? Halo 3 will be more groundbreaking then Halo 2, with better gameplay then Halo: Combat Evolved.

Halo 2 was groundbreaking? Anyways, Crysis will be groundbreaking - literally!

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="baddog121390"]Yes, but Crysis is three very different and unique games in one. In each act you progress, the gameplay and purpose of the whole game changes. In these acts, you can make your own decisions, choose what paths to go down, or decide which allegiances you should side with.
baddog121390

Explain to me how Halo 3 will be better than Crysis. Powerhouse that is Halo? That's like somebody saying they can't wait for Nas's new CD to come out and loose to the "powerhouse" that is 50 Cent.

exactly just like farcry brought many new things
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xLegend24
[QUOTE="xLegend24"]

baddog121390

I didn't say it was bad. Was it the way I said it? Would gun-n-run sound better? :P

I was trying to say that why fix it when it ain't broken. Bungie said it plays like Halo 1, so maybe it ain't all noobified like Halo 2.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Bansheesdie

Halo 2? You mean that shell of a single player game with decent multiplayer and the same gunplay as Halo 1 save "dual wielding" weapons and maybe one or two added weapons. So far, if the footage released is any indication, Halo 3 is only adding new weapons, and the core gameplay really hasn't change.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
That was a "long" read? It was only five paragraphs... Anyway, 'twas a good read, but nothing I didn't already know.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Although it will be an excellent game. Spore is going to win GOTY.baddog121390

Crysis won't do anything new, but maybe it will make the features more perfect than in other games.
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xLegend24

[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Vandalvideo

Halo 2? You mean that shell of a single player game with decent multiplayer and the same gunplay as Halo 1 save "dual wielding" weapons and maybe one or two added weapons. So far, if the footage released is any indication, Halo 3 is only adding new weapons, and the core gameplay really hasn't change.

Bungie has barely told us anything about Halo 3, other than some weapons, and water effects(wtf?).I'd wait to see some real videos, not those pre-alpha low quality junk.As for Halo 2, I agree, it had acrappy sp, but the mp was pretty good.

baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 baddog121390
[QUOTE="baddog121390"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Although it will be an excellent game. Spore is going to win GOTY.Supafly1

Crysis won't do anything new, but maybe it will make the features more perfect than in other games.

Please, we are past that now. Its doing plenty new.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 baddog121390
[QUOTE="Einhanderkiller"]That was a "long" read? It was only five paragraphs... Anyway, 'twas a good read, but nothing I didn't already know.

Longer than what most can handle here in System Wars.
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 freek_brothers
Member since 2007 • 280 Posts

[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Vandalvideo

as far as we know they haven't said anything about it being a duplicate copy or a complete diffrence of it's core gameplay.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.freek_brothers

as far as we know they haven't said anything about it being a duplicate copy or a complete diffrence of it's core gameplay.

"If the trailers released are any indenication".
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freek_brothers
[QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Vandalvideo

yea but all the halo 3 trailers aren't actual in-game they may show whats to come and wht to expect but it does not prove that they have changed or may have not changed the core gameplay.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.freek_brothers

yea but all the halo 3 trailers aren't actual in-game they may show whats to come and wht to expect but it does not prove that they have changed or may have not changed the core gameplay.

Actually there are live alpha footage from the marine press event where they let the army play the game.
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freek_brothers
[QUOTE="freek_brothers"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Halo is great and all, but you can't continuously have a ground breaking game when its basically a rehash with some additions.Vandalvideo

Actually there are live alpha footage from the marine press event where they let the army play the game.

yea but it doesn't show the innovations or the core gameplay it shows a MP going on which all MP is run and gun except MMO's

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vandalvideo
FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freek_brothers

FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.Vandalvideo

if it's Multiplayer It is always Run and gun But they never sayed anything about the core gameplay it could be drastically changed

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.freek_brothers

if it's Multiplayer It is always Run and gun But they never sayed anything about the core gameplay it could be drastically changed

The CORE GAMEPLAY is the very CORE of the GAMEPLAY. That is how you play the game. I.E. run and gun, pluck and duck, strategical, or others. Basically you're still jsut running around shooting things ( according to the trailer). This hasn't changed, the "Core gameplay" hasn't changed.
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freek_brothers
[QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.Vandalvideo

The CORE GAMEPLAY is the very CORE of the GAMEPLAY. That is how you play the game. I.E. run and gun, pluck and duck, strategical, or others. Basically you're still jsut running around shooting things ( according to the trailer). This hasn't changed, the "Core gameplay" hasn't changed.

yea except a trailer doesn't always show actual gameplay it promotes the game

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.freek_brothers

Oh so the fact that the trailer was showing army people PLAYING the GAME and the footage showed the actual GAME being PLAYEd that wasn't "Gameplay". -_-. I saw A game being played. I.E. Gameplay.
freek_brothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 freek_brothers
[QUOTE="freek_brothers"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="freek_brothers"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]FrecK: That run and gun IS the core gameplay. Core gameplay is how the basic game plays out. Not much has changed, according to this footage, from the other Halos in that regard.Vandalvideo

Oh so the fact that the trailer was showing army people PLAYING the GAME and the footage showed the actual GAME being PLAYEd that wasn't "Gameplay". -_-. I saw A game being played. I.E. Gameplay.

omg it's like explaining how to draw a circle to someone so I'm going on my xbox 360 and play crackdown.

meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 meggido
Member since 2005 • 16980 Posts
In my opinion the gameplay will be good but nothing extraordinary. Like say Bioshock.
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 baddog121390
In my opinion the gameplay will be good but nothing extraordinary. Like say Bioshock.meggido
Bioshock is unique, and looks to be an engaging shooter - but nothing on the same scale as Crysis.