Cross-platform gaming? Isn't it time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DragonFlyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DragonFlyJ
Member since 2008 • 658 Posts
Seriously, why hasn't this been push heavily in the gaming community?
oTHE_FLOPo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 oTHE_FLOPo
Member since 2008 • 79 Posts
idk -Renegade... i mean jakari...;)..hey thanks for the E-mail you sent me you have ALT accounts man.
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
What do you mean crossplatform gaming. are you talking about online.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The technology exists, but the politics among the top three wont allow it.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Seriously, why hasn't this been push heavily in the gaming community? DragonFlyJ

Nintendo Wii's online just ain't cut out for it yet

PSN and XBL man you know those companies aren't going to let that happen

The only thing that could happen is PC to (insert Platform) 

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
I would lovee it. I'd pay to play cross platform.
DragonFlyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DragonFlyJ
idk -Renegade... i mean jakari...;)..hey thanks for the E-mail you sent me you have ALT accounts man.oTHE_FLOPo
Dude get out of here. I don't know you.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
The PC and 360 will be doing it in the near future. As for the rest of them. I could see it happening with Sony because Sony allows developers to use their own dedicated servers and if they get MS to allow them to use their own dedicated servers with their games there could be a 3way between the PC,360 and PS3. As for the Wii I'm not so sure as I haven't even figured out how to add a friend code yet but the games are fun :)
PwningStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PwningStick
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
There's like 2 games so far that work between pc and 360, shadowrun and something else. To bad they both suck. I personally want cross-platform to really pick up soon. Atleast between pc and 360 since we all know its possible.
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts

No, every game would result in a consolite beatdown.

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
PC/360 already has a few, Shadowrun and some RTS I believe, only a couple though. I'd say it'd be too hard for MS/Sony to get PSN to connect to XBL, then how would you moderate both at same time and other issues. PC/360 is relatively easy since they are similar, but yet there's few titles for it and I'd say because there's more to it than just matchmaking.
ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, I think its about time, gaming would be even better because of it. This has been brought up before, but sadly not much has been done about it
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
All cross platforming would do is make the system war 10x more hectic and ridiculous. Could you imagine lemmings gloating on SW about wiping the floor with cow's and sheep in FPS :?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Thats like asking for a fight.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
All cross platforming would do is make the system war 10x more hectic and ridiculous. Could you imagine lemmings gloating on SW about wiping the floor with cow's and sheep in FPS :?Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Don't we already say that? :D
DragonFlyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonFlyJ
PC/360 already has a few, Shadowrun and some RTS I believe, only a couple though. I'd say it'd be too hard for MS/Sony to get PSN to connect to XBL, then how would you moderate both at same time and other issues. PC/360 is relatively easy since they are similar, but yet there's few titles for it and I'd say because there's more to it than just matchmaking.hopesfall2own
Final Fantasy XI is cross-platform (PSN, XBL, PC). It should happen.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]All cross platforming would do is make the system war 10x more hectic and ridiculous. Could you imagine lemmings gloating on SW about wiping the floor with cow's and sheep in FPS :?hopesfall2own
Don't we already say that? :D

But this time they would have PROOF to back it up. With game stats, pics ect ect.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
i hear the developers of Champions online are going for it.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Years ago I would have supported you on this and said something like 'I would love to play SSBB on 360' But competition is what makes gaming advance so much.
i hear the developers of Champions online are going for it.lawlessx
I hear that's just 360/PC.
DragonFlyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonFlyJ
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"]Years ago I would have supported you on this and said something like 'I would love to play SSBB on 360' But competition is what makes gaming advance so much. It doesn't have to be exclusive games. I'm talking about 3rd party multi-plats.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Years ago I would have supported you on this and said something like 'I would love to play SSBB on 360' But competition is what makes gaming advance so much.[QUOTE="lawlessx"]i hear the developers of Champions online are going for it.gunswordfist
I hear that's just 360/PC.

developers are also gunning for a ps3 release
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
idk -Renegade... i mean jakari...;)..hey thanks for the E-mail you sent me you have ALT accounts man.oTHE_FLOPo

Arent you Team_Microsoft ?lol
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"]Years ago I would have supported you on this and said something like 'I would love to play SSBB on 360' But competition is what makes gaming advance so much. It doesn't have to be exclusive games. I'm talking about 3rd party multi-plats.DragonFlyJ
I know. I wasn't just talking about exclusives either.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
well ms tried to do it between pc and x360 but screwed up by making the k/m unplayable with. If they actually did it with un gimpped controls it would be awesome so you don't have to have the same system to play each other.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
The Agency is for PC/PS3 and so is DC Universe. Dunno if they share the same game severs though or if there are different servers for PC and PS3.
jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts
shadowrun baby!! I loved that game :P
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
I would die if the first l4d patch went cross platform with 360. (all my friends got it for 360 but mouse ftw for me!)
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

When it comes to PC-consoles crossplatform play it proved to be a dead end. The control methods are too diffrent and the only way to make it work is to dumb down many elements of games, resulting in inferior product on both platforms. Devs have realized that and they've pretty much all abaddoned the idea. THe only place where it might surivive are MMOs and even there it will be limited (the biggest reason for even trying is that console MMos are to unpopular to make having console-only servers profitable).

Now crossplatform play between consoles could be done, but it would require cooperation between competitors, so it's not likely to happen anytime soon. 

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
The Agency is for PC/PS3 and so is DC Universe. Dunno if they share the same game severs though or if there are different servers for PC and PS3.II_Seraphim_II
They planned it, but couple months ago they annouced they won't have crossplatform play in Agency. I assume the same will happen to DCU
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

For someone who joined the forums in July of last year you sure are making alot of posts NOW. So what exactly where you doing for the past year? I mean why make an account just to browse the forums? I mean you haven't leveled up at all. Another thing I guess I am every PS3 fan on this site. :roll:

Back on topic I would like see something like this happen outside of the MMO realm. I want to own some lemmings with my inferior controller in some Call of Duty. :D

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts
The Agency is for PC/PS3 and so is DC Universe. Dunno if they share the same game severs though or if there are different servers for PC and PS3.II_Seraphim_II
I think he means PS3 and 360.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="jakarai"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] I think he means PS3 and 360.

ah ok :P
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]The Agency is for PC/PS3 and so is DC Universe. Dunno if they share the same game severs though or if there are different servers for PC and PS3.AdrianWerner
They planned it, but couple months ago they annouced they won't have crossplatform play in Agency. I assume the same will happen to DCU

That sux, but I guess its for the best. The only way PC/PS3 xplay would work is if they either gimped the PC Controls or put an insane amount of aim-assist in the console version. As for DC universe, I could see that working xplatform because it seems like a more controller based game.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
I would like Cross platform play. Es[ecially in titles like gears of war. No one is playing the PC version but everyone is on the 360 one-_-
Richard7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Richard7666
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
Seriously, why hasn't this been push heavily in the gaming community? DragonFlyJ
Because of Sony and Microsoft getting in the way. More an issue with Sony, though, considering there are far more 360 multiplats (games getting a 360/PC release, with the PS3 as an afterthought because of it's peculiar little intricacies). I think Sony made the mistake of treating it as too proprietary; an expensive lounge-room toy as opposed to a cheap PC, which is more the tack Microsoft took with the 360, which as a consequence is much more familiar and open to developers.