Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season? (187 votes)

Yes 6%
Highly Likely 3%
Likely 6%
Neutral 7%
Unlikely 9%
Highly Unlikely 16%
No 54%

Judging from previous Halo sales and them being a colossal success, the amount of Xbox abandoners who left the Xbox brand for Sony who might get the itch to come back, a limited edition Halo 5 Xbox One releasing, plus the other blockbuster games releasing for the holidays...

Are these things enough of a carrot for this system to come close to nearing or catching up with the PlayStation 4?

What are your thoughts?

• 
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

The only way X1 will ever catch up to PS4 is if it gets a ton of exclusives. The software libraries are nearly identical but PS4's hardware is better and that's been the difference and will remain the only significant difference unless MS can give itself some kind of edge that it currently doesn't have.

Hence the four games releasing during the holidays including a numbered Halo title, plus the Limited Edition Halo 5 console to the PlayStation 4's ZERO games...

The coming holiday months are as follows, the Xbox One is going to be the girl you can have fun with, the one who wants to go out dancing, drink and actually puts out for you.

The PlayStation 4 is going to be the prudish mormon girl who wants to get to know you, and wants you to wait until the middle of next year before she gives it up...

It isn't rocket science what is going to be the resounding choice for people...

It's gonna take a lot more than Halo to turn this around. Considering what was possible their hardware design is pretty damned terrible. Ain't saying that PS4's hardware isn't disappointing as well cuz it is ... but it's clearly better than X1 in that area. Would require a plethora of exclusive content to get people to look passed the performance gap.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

44% of this forum is not living in reality.. What the actual ****?

They might be pity votes...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Zero_epyon

@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

The only way X1 will ever catch up to PS4 is if it gets a ton of exclusives. The software libraries are nearly identical but PS4's hardware is better and that's been the difference and will remain the only significant difference unless MS can give itself some kind of edge that it currently doesn't have.

Hence the four games releasing during the holidays including a numbered Halo title, plus the Limited Edition Halo 5 console to the PlayStation 4's ZERO games...

The coming holiday months are as follows, the Xbox One is going to be the girl you can have fun with, the one who wants to go out dancing, drink and actually puts out for you.

The PlayStation 4 is going to be the prudish mormon girl who wants to get to know you, and wants you to wait until the middle of next year before she gives it up...

Dude. In order to pull this off, Sony has to manage to not sell the PS4 at all from now to the end of the year while MS sells more than 10 million in that time. And that's to catch up. Stop the idiocy!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

Dude. In order to pull this off, Sony has to manage to not sell the PS4 at all from now to the end of the year while MS sells more than 10 million in that time. And that's to catch up. Stop the idiocy!

No, all it would take is a large decline in sales for the PlayStation 4 and a massive upturn of Xbox One sales. Seeing as the PS4 has really **** all to give to people for the rest of this year which will likely result in a decline in sales and Microsoft has just so many things going on from technology to games, the possibility of that massive upturn is not something unrealistic. I'm not saying things are going to pan out exactly as I am talking about right now, but to ignore the above reality of what's going on with both of these systems in terms of the near horizon would be an exercise in stupidity.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Zero_epyon

@nyadc said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

No, all it would take is a large decline in sales for the PlayStation 4 and a massive upturn of Xbox One sales. Seeing as the PS4 has really **** all to give to people for the rest of this year which will likely result in a decline in sales and Microsoft has just so many things going on from technology to games, the possibility of that massive upturn is not something unrealistic. I'm not saying things are going to pan out exactly as I am talking about right now, but to ignore the above reality of what's going on with both of these systems in terms of the near horizon would be an exercise in stupidity.

A large decline meaning 0 consoles sold and a massive upturn meaning selling an average of 1.5 Million consoles a month just to get even. Although I'm not too excited, PS4 is now the best place for multiplats for console gamers. You think that's not going to be a factor? You're out of your mind. And no things are not going to pan out like you say, not even close. It's a 10+ Million lead. The most a halo game sold was about 12 Million, which was Halo 3. There are about that many Xbox Ones sold around the world. No way is Halo 5 on par in anticipation with Halo 3 and no way is to going to move that many units like you are hoping. Stop the idiocy...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#156  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@trollhunter2 said:

@FastRobby: winning two months in a row is better than winning the competion in 10 months now?

Depending on the numbers, yes. The amount of consoles sold in those two months is equal to 8 months of console sales throughout the year

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

A large decline meaning 0 consoles sold and a massive upturn meaning selling an average of 1.5 Million consoles a month just to get even. Although I'm not too excited, PS4 is now the best place for multiplats for console gamers. You think that's not going to be a factor? You're out of your mind. And no things are not going to pan out like you say, not even close. It's a 10+ Million lead. The most a halo game sold was about 12 Million, which was Halo 3. There are about that many Xbox Ones sold around the world. No way is Halo 5 on par in anticipation with Halo 3 and no way is to going to move that many units like you are hoping. Stop the idiocy...

The best place for multiplats last gen was irrefutably the 360 but that didn't stop people from buying it anyway. Such a bullshit argument. smh. People will go where ever the great exclusives are in the end.

Avatar image for GearsOfWarLover
GearsOfWarLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#158  Edited By GearsOfWarLover
Member since 2006 • 637 Posts

@slim70 Wow its like people totally forget Playstation is a much stronger brand worldwide than Xbox. Im pretty sure the ps3 outsold the xbox 360 the first couple of years worldwide, and had no exclusives the first 3 years.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Too early to tell therefore neutral.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Zero_epyon

@slim70 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@nyadc said:
@Wickerman777 said:

The best place for multiplats last gen was irrefutably the 360 but that didn't stop people from buying it anyway. Such a bullshit argument. smh. People will go where ever the great exclusives are in the end.

What? That's exactly my point. The 360 had almost no new games for almost 2 years, while the PS3 had exclusives coming out in greater frequency, but it still outsold PS3 in NA. So why does he think the PS4 is going to suddenly lose so much momentum that the PS4 will lose its lead in less than 6 months?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It wouldn't even be sold at the same rate, let alone catch up, even if FIFA, Madden, Battlefield, COD and Assassin's Creed were Xbox One's exclusives.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Can it? Pffft, it's nearly a forgone conclusion. :P

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

I don't think so, nor do I care. I am, at this point, famished for good games. I think I need to stop following the games industry. Shit drags over when you know a release date.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#164 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I think the question should have been, can they catch up in the US. The answer to that question is a definite yes, worldwide though, they can only achieve that over the course of the entire generation, and only if they dominate the US market again like last gen.

However I don't believe this matters all that much, I would like to see MS close the gap and try to keep Sonys lead to under 10 million throughout the generation, if they can do that then I see the X1 breaking 100 million sales. They got 85 million last gen and they're selling X1's at a faster rate than they sold 360's 10 years ago. It's less about who wins(even though the fanboys will throw a fit), and more about whether the console can be considered successful. So long as the X1 is beating its predecessor, I think its successful.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

It will not catch up that quickly but it will catch up in the mid to long term.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@nyadc: Bud, there is literally no possibility. Even last year when MS had the best Christmas season, PS4 still sold more WW. There is literally zero chance

OK put a little too much in that best holiday season part, I'm pretty sure this one will be bigger. However, as i said, even if Xbox one outsold the PS4 by 5 million the PS4 would still at least sell 2.

@Boddicker said:

Nah. The X1 won't beat the PS4 in total units sold in one holiday season. The gap is imply too large.

I'm not saying the X1 won't win this gen, but it would take one hell of a pricecut and/or a crazy good new exclusive IP.

So you believe in magic harry potter?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the X1 could pull a PS3 and atleast catch up to the PS4 by THE END OF THIS GEN.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

It's possible but it won't happen, Halo will help but I think the lead is too large to overcome now. Unless Sony really screws up the next couple years it's going to win the war this gen

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@always_explicit said:

Catch up with NA you talking about right? With NA, catching up closer is possible, but worldwide? No way, the gap will only get bigger and bigger.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#169 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i dont think xb1's are going to sell 12 million during the holidays

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@nyadc said:

This is pretty ironic coming from a guy that just paid $300 for a doll.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:
@always_explicit said:

Catch up with NA you talking about right? With NA, catching up closer is possible, but worldwide? No way, the gap will only get bigger and bigger.

NA possibly. I think the Uk is a distinct possibility also.

The rest of Europe will be an uphill battle but stranger things have happened. I honestly (allbeit prematurely) expect hololens to be a potential game changer.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So 46% of the ppl here are delusional, lems or just hate Playstation.

These polls are good for community info.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 NyaDC

@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

You don't seem to understand what irony is, it's a statue, it's meant to be looked at, not played with. This is literally the exact opposite function of a console and was purchased for that purpose...

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@elpresador-911 said:

OP is TigerSuperman

It's pretty obvious now...

I was thinking more on the lines of b4x because he made such a similar argument last year.

Considering the gap will probably be at what? 11 million by oct, the Xboxone would have to sell faster than any console by like x4 times to even tie.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

You don't seem to understand what irony is, it's a statue, it's meant to be looked at, not played with. This is literally the exact opposite function of a console and was purchased for that purpose...

Irony is the guy with the doll collection talking like he's a PUA.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 NyaDC

@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

Yeah because they're dolls and I'm talking like a pickup artist... Shut up, you're incredibly dumb...

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

Yeah because they're dolls and I'm talking like a pickup artist... Shut up, you're incredibly dumb...

What this conversation devolved to...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

Yeah because they're dolls and I'm talking like a pickup artist

Do you practice your pickup lines on the dolls?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Zero_epyon

@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

Too much lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Zero_epyon

@daious said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@elpresador-911 said:

OP is TigerSuperman

It's pretty obvious now...

I was thinking more on the lines of b4x because he made such a similar argument last year.

Considering the gap will probably be at what? 11 million by oct, the Xboxone would have to sell faster than any console by like x4 times to even tie.

In the end, they're all silly MS fanboys.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#181  Edited By AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

@SolidTy said:

You dream and wish the Xbone sales were higher? Wish upon a star, silly!

----

When you wish upon a star

Makes no difference who you are

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you...

If your heart is in your dream

No request is too extreme

As dreamers do...

(Fate is kind

She brings to those who love

The sweet fulfillment of

Their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue

Fate steps in and sees you through

Your dreeeeeams cooooome truuuuuuuuue...

Loading Video...

This deserved a quote XD

If anything the PS4 will continue to widen the gap if you ask me, that's what i expect in the foreseeable future. By the end of this gen the gap could be huge and thus a devastating blow for the Xbox Brand name, leaving it severely crippled for the next.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#182 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6 said:
@SolidTy said:

You dream and wish the Xbone sales were higher? Wish upon a star, silly!

----

Makes no difference who you are

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you...

If your heart is in your dream

No request is too extreme

As dreamers do...

(Fate is kind

She brings to those who love

The sweet fulfillment of

Their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue

Fate steps in and sees you through

Your dreeeeeams cooooome truuuuuuuuue...

Loading Video...

This deserved a quote XD

If anything the PS4 will continue to widen the gap if you ask me, that's what i expect in the foreseeable future. By the end of this gen the gap could be huge and thus a devastating blow for the Xbox Brand name, leaving it severely crippled for the next.

Thank you, Agent. :P

If the PS4 continues to get more far games than the Xbone (right now the gap is about 90 games), continues to pump out 3x more PS+ games than GWG XBL, and ensures their 1st party studios that consumers haven't heard from yet finally release on PS4. It should be cakewalk, unless something changes in Xbox Land or Sony Land.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Halo 1 and 2 didn't stop the PS2 from outselling the original Xbox by like 130 million and that was back when the series was relevant.

These delusional degenerate Xbone fanboys really need to get a grip. What year do you think this is? Better lay off them bath salts freak.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Halo 1 and 2 didn't stop the PS2 from outselling the original Xbox by like 130 million and that was back when the series was relevant.

These delusional degenerate Xbone fanboys really need to get a grip. What year do you think this is? Better lay off them bath salts freak.

^ ^ So much truth. Too bad lems on this site are too delusional to accept it. They'll be back again this time next year talking about how Gears of War will save the Xbone lol.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By NyaDC

@Pray_to_me said:

Xbox was a new console, Halo was a new IP, Halo 2 was extremely successful and sold nearly half as many copies as there were owners of the console, not to mention the console was known to be shortly replaced by "Xenon" and also the PlayStation 2 was on the market for 13 years and only discontinued two years ago...

Holy fucking hell you don't know shit...

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Xbox was a new console, Halo was a new IP, Halo 2 was extremely successful and sold nearly half as many copies as there were owners of the console, not to mention the console was known to be shortly replaced by "Xenon" and also the PlayStation 2 was on the market for 13 years and only discontinued two years ago...

Xbone is gonna outsell PS4 by over 10 million units with the launch of Halo 5?

Whatever you say freak. You must be smoking crack in your room there with the Halo posters.

Xbone is a dud. A loser, just like you.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@always_explicit said:

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By NyaDC

@Pray_to_me said:
@nyadc said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Xbone is gonna outsell PS4 by over 10 million units with the launch of Halo 5?

Whatever you say freak. You must be smoking crack in your room there with the Halo posters.

Xbone is a dud. A loser, just like you.

Did I say with the launch of Halo 5? No, I said with the four months leading up to the holiday season that Microsoft has on absolute lockdown which is also partially attributed to Halo 5. Also I didn't say they were going to outsell the PlayStation 4 but rather the possibility exists.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#189 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

No, that's impossible.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 NyaDC

April NPD is in, winds of change are rolling in boys, people are starting to wake up...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#191 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 NyaDC

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@Dire_Weasel said:
@nyadc said:

Three cases of 'doll' envy confirmed.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@nyadc said:

April NPD is in, winds of change are rolling in boys, people are starting to wake up...

Yeah by selling a whopping 180k a month it will only take xbone 103 months to catch up

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 NyaDC

@Couth_ said:
@nyadc said:

Yeah by selling a whopping 180k a month it will only take xbone 103 months to catch up

A wheel rolling down a hill always starts out slow, momentum has to be built and it's just now starting to gain speed.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@nyadc: Christ you're a moron.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 NyaDC

@davem1992 said:

Christ you're mad.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@davem1992 said:

He makes fun of mentally challenged children too.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@nyadc: Nope in a great mood, you losers win a month and you act like you've won the whole gen, it's SO pathetic it hurts.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By NyaDC

@Heil68 said:
@davem1992 said:

I wasn't making fun of you.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:
@davem1992 said:

He was making fun of you?

Nope, I posted my White collar job in your thread. I dont do manual labor, how about you? :D