Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season? (187 votes)

Yes 6%
Highly Likely 3%
Likely 6%
Neutral 7%
Unlikely 9%
Highly Unlikely 16%
No 54%

Judging from previous Halo sales and them being a colossal success, the amount of Xbox abandoners who left the Xbox brand for Sony who might get the itch to come back, a limited edition Halo 5 Xbox One releasing, plus the other blockbuster games releasing for the holidays...

Are these things enough of a carrot for this system to come close to nearing or catching up with the PlayStation 4?

What are your thoughts?

• 
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Probably. It seems a lot of people are buying xbones on accident.

http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-how-easy-it-is-to-accidentally-order-an-xbox-one-through-your-apple-watch/

Also Best buy has that 360/PS3 trade in deal.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-buy-a-new-xbox-one-for-175/1100-6426937/

Between these two it will at least win the april NPD.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

What is the number of xbox ones sold through as of today?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

I think it can em outsell the ps4 during halo and uh tomb raider

i could def see a bunch of kids going i want the halo game and i think some ps4 owners are gonna be like i want that tomb raider rawr

so yeah i see a influx of xb1 sold this holiday im guessing were gonna see maybe a 300 dollar halo BUNDLE halo 5 + MCC finish the fight or some shit bundle 400 dollar for the special edition console with 1 terabyte

i could see that owning ps4 this season christmas kids like santa want that shiz done and they will get it done

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@stereointegrity said:

What is the number of xbox ones sold through as of today?

No one actually knows right now because Microsoft is extremely vague with their reports, but from the looks of it between 12 and 15 million.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

No.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

Very unlikely. A 10 million + sales gap is too large to cover in such a short time. However, I believe that the XBO could catch the PS4 by the end of this gen if MS creates some new IP's and continues to take advantage of their current big exclusives. PS3 did it why not the XBO? Only a PS fanboy would say that it isn't possible.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2309 Posts

I doubt they will catch up but M$ could win the holiday NPD

OdiusOdium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OdiusOdium
Member since 2015 • 55 Posts

I don't think it's likely. Ive put my xbone purchase off until at least next year.

Anythings possible though.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

lol no. But keep hoping lems.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NyaDC

@quadknight said:

I wouldn't be too sure man, the Xbox lineup for the holidays is ironclad while Sony's is (as of right now) a limp noodle. It's a year span from now to Uncharted 4, an entire year, that's a long time to wait and people get impatient...

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Only if MS throw in every game so far released with the console for free plus the odd controller here and there, as we've seen they're not beyond doin things like this during the holidays/black friday....

Realistically, the gap is too big thankfully. The sooner people realise MS are a cancer to the gaming industry the better then hopefully they'll bow out before they're killed off and thrown out.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

lol, no.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5819 Posts

Difficult to say what will happen really. But I suspect with the games due and if they crush the competition at E3 and drop the price to keep it below PS4. It will close the gap, but not catch up.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NyaDC

@l34052 said:
The sooner people realise MS are a cancer to the gaming industry the better then hopefully they'll bow out before they're killed off and thrown out.

Rationalize this please.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

No chance in Hell. They may win the holidays but a 10 million plus lead? Not to mention Sony has major marketing and bundle deals on massive third party titles Like Batman:AK and Star Wars. I see MS being around 13 million behind by the time October comes around.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Nope, aren't there something like 10 million more PS4s sold? If so, even in the near impossible chance that there is demand for that many Xbox Ones, Microsoft wouldn't have the supply to keep up.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuadKnight

@nyadc said:

@quadknight said:

I wouldn't be too sure man, the Xbox lineup for the holidays is ironclad while Sony's is (as of right now) a limp noodle. It's a year span from now to Uncharted 4, an entire year, that's a long time to wait and people get impatient...

Xbone isn't ever gonna catch up lol. How long do you guys have to wait for Halo 5? Between now and when Halo 5 releases the PS4 continues to destroy Xbone in every NPD and massacre it worldwide.

PS4 hasn't even done a pricedrop yet and it's still destroying the Xbone. Exclusives don't mean shit as we all saw last year with Destiny.

PS4 has exclusive Star Wars and Batman marketing rights (both are gonna be huge system sellers) and whatever surprises they have at E3. MS has lost marketing rights to COD, Halo 5 isn't going to move as many Xbones as you guys hope. Sony is one pricedrop away from ruining MS's holiday in the US. Worldwide it isn't even close, give up lems lol. The gap is only widening and will continue to widen.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NyaDC
@AM-Gamer said:

No chance in Hell. They may win the holidays but a 10 million plus lead? Not to mention Sony has major marketing and bundle deals on massive third party titles Like Batman:AK and Star Wars. I see MS being around 13 million behind by the time October comes around.

Average sales figures for numbered Halo titles sit at 9.09 million units spanning Halo CE - Halo 4, I can imagine Halo 5 selling possibly 4 million systems on its own, more if it reviews extremely well. Then you have to factor in Tomb Raider which is another massive and highly anticipated release, Forza 6 which is not huge but still something that a lot of people will jump at, and then Fable Legends.

Microsoft has kind of a perfect storm lined up for the end of this year, I could see 8 million systems being sold if not more from September to January.

P.S. You guys put far too much faith in marketing deals of multi-platform games.

@soulitane said:

Nope, aren't there something like 10 million more PS4s sold? If so, even in the near impossible chance that there is demand for that many Xbox Ones, Microsoft wouldn't have the supply to keep up.

They know what they have coming out, they know they're going to sell a lot, they've probably ramped up production considerably to get ready for the holiday demand.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QuadKnight

@nyadc said:
@AM-Gamer said:

Average sales figures for numbered Halo titles sit at 9.09 million units spanning Halo CE - Halo 4, I can imagine Halo 5 selling possibly 4 million systems on its own, more if it reviews extremely well. Then you have to factor in Tomb Raider which is another massive and highly anticipated release, Forza 6 which is not huge but still something that a lot of people will jump at, and then Fable Legends.

Microsoft has kind of a perfect storm lined up for the end of this year, I could see 8 million systems being sold if not more from September to January.

P.S. You guys put far too much faith in marketing deals of multi-platform games.

With good reason. Destiny helped sell 600,000 PS4s in the US alone last year the month it came out. Multiplats are easily the biggest games out there. No exclusive will sell as many consoles as a major multiplat can.

Halo 5 will not help close the gap. It isn't 2007 anymore and after the flop that was Halo MCC I'm surprised lems are still holding on to the belief that Halo 5 will sell millions of new Xbones to cosumers this holiday, enough to catch up tot he PS4. It's just crazy wishful thinking at this point. Not even Halo 3 type sales can help Xbone overcome a 10 million+ deficit.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I don't think it'll happen, but it's not unlikely. Halo 5 is releasing this year and will be the biggest exclusive of the year as far as sales go. Having that in the holiday season will be a huge boon for the XB1, assuming Microsoft also pushes out a bundle and another one of those price drop promotions.

The thing is, the PS4 has momentum behind it. The thing can sell on hype alone, games or not. And at this point the gap in sales is just too immense.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulitane

@nyadc said:

They know what they have coming out, they know they're going to sell a lot, they've probably ramped up production considerably to get ready for the holiday demand.

They also probably know they won't be selling more than 10 million units this holiday season.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

343. :(

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Are you high? This holidays, if Sony drops the ps4's price, Xbone will be buried and forgotten by everyone by MS themselves. MS has as much chances of catching on as Wii outselling ps3 or 360 in 2012.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NyaDC

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:
@AM-Gamer said:

With good reason. Destiny helped sell 600,000 PS4s in the US last year the month it came out. Multiplats are easily the biggest games out there. No exclusive will sell as many consoles as a major multiplat can.

Halo 5 will not help close the gap. It isn't 2007 anymore and after the flop that was Halo MCC I'm surprised lems are still holding onto the belief that Halo 5 will sell millions of new Xbones to cosumers this holiday, enough to catch up tot he PS4. It's just crazy wishful thinking at this point. Not even Halo 3 type sales can help Xbone overcome a 10 million+ deficit.

I'm not sure where you're getting that 600,000 unit count attributed to Destiny, that seems like unnobtainable data IMO. Also Destiny didn't even sell twice as many copies on the PlayStation 4 when it had a user base on the PlayStation 4 exceeding the Xbox One by more than 100%, so it's not that impressive in terms of unit measurements considering the deficits.

No other exclusive is Halo though, nothing is as big as Halo in terms of exclusive games. A new numbered Halo title will move units, millions, guaranteed with out a shadow of a doubt, always has and it always will.

In reality outside of system wars TMCC did not flop, it was never expected to sell nearly as well as a numbered Halo title and 343 made that clear in statements from before it even released. Just to put it into perspective it sold around 2.5 million copies with an install base of maybe 9 million at the time? That's over 25% of the entire owner base of the system itself, Halo CE: Anniversary released on a system with an install base roughly nine times larger and sold about the same.

This console making a massive push against the PlayStation 4 is FOR ONCE a real possibility, nothing before this was.

@silversix_ said:

Are you high? This holidays, if Sony drops the ps4's price, Xbone will be buried and forgotten by everyone by MS themselves. MS has as much chances of catching on as Wii outselling ps3 or 360 in 2012.

No games to separate itself from the competition during the holidays where the opposite is the case for the competition. A price drop would never offset that, not to mention you can already get PlayStation 4's for $350 from retailers all over the place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

That's not going to happen... Closing a gap of +10 million is impossible in 4 months.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NyaDC
@FastRobby said:

That's not going to happen... Closing a gap of +10 million is impossible in 4 months.

Highly Improbable? Yes, impossible? No.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 soulitane

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

If it's highly improbably, do you honestly think they'll manufacture the amount of consoles required to close the gap? If so you're delusional.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NyaDC

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

If it's highly improbably, do you honestly think they'll manufacture the amount of consoles required to close the gap? If so you're delusional.

Who says they haven't already ramped up production months ago? They have more money than god and can do whatever they want, with what they have releasing it would make sense to meet any possible demand.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulitane

@nyadc said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

Who says they haven't already ramped up production months ago?

What does that have to do with what I asked? Nothing. I'll make it very clear for you. If they are going to sell 10 million+ (or even the 8 million you predicted) Xbox One's this holiday, they'll need to have that many manufactured. This means, come holiday season they'll have plenty to ship out to retailers in anticipation for the massive surge in sales you're predicting. If it's highly improbable for that surge to happen, then why would anyone at Microsoft greenlight such an increase in manufacturing?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts

No

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@nyadc said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

Who says they haven't already ramped up production months ago? They have more money than god and can do whatever they want, with what they have releasing it would make sense to meet any possible demand.

The difference is that Sony NEEDS Playstation to survive, while Xbox is just another brand for Microsoft. This is why Sony will put more money behind Playstation brand. Closing such a big gap is really hard, last year Sony sold around 15 million consoles, but that was a whole year, so it's highly unlikely that Microsoft can close the gap in 4 months. Don't forget Sony doesn't just stop selling Playstation consoles

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NyaDC
@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:
@FastRobby said:

What does that have to do with what I asked? Nothing. I'll make it very clear for you. If they are going to sell 10 million+ (or even the 8 million you predicted) Xbox One's this holiday, they'll need to have that many manufactured. This means, come holiday season they'll have plenty to ship out to retailers in anticipation for the massive surge in sales you're predicting. If it's highly improbable for that surge to happen, then why would anyone at Microsoft greenlight such an increase in manufacturing?

Highly improbable that it will surpass the PlayStation 4, not be nipping at its heels, that's likely. They have the money and have the time to manufacture that many units, that's not even a question. They know their releases for the year are solid, very solid and there are multiple of them, not to mention leading into Quantum Break next year. I just don't see them going into this unprepared to meet the demand that could skyrocket them into an extremely competitive stance, I can't see them blowing that opportunity by playing it safe on manufacturing, especially with the reality that if this doesn't happen they will sell in time either way.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

TigerSuperidiot alt account confirmed? Both make incredibly dumb "predicitions"

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

they are like 10 million behind, so no.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

LoL Xbox One

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NyaDC

@Slashkice said:

Halo isn't big enough to bridge a ~10M lead, one that's only going to get bigger in the coming months.

They have 4 big games releasing in a 4 month period, one of them is a game in the most successful exclusive franchise in history while Sony has what exactly? Microsoft doesn't have anything to battle against during the holidays, it's going to be slaughter.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

You dream and wish the Xbone sales were higher? Wish upon a star, silly!

----

When you wish upon a star

Makes no difference who you are

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you...

If your heart is in your dream

No request is too extreme

As dreamers do...

(Fate is kind

She brings to those who love

The sweet fulfillment of

Their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue

Fate steps in and sees you through

Your dreeeeeams cooooome truuuuuuuuue...

Loading Video...
Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

Uh, no... not a chance.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuadKnight

@nyadc said:

No other exclusive is Halo though, nothing is as big as Halo in terms of exclusive games. A new numbered Halo title will move units, millions, guaranteed with out a shadow of a doubt, always has and it always will.

Now I'm convinced you're either a troll or an idiot.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NyaDC

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

That's fascinating, it doesn't change the reality that the above is the truth...

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulitane

@nyadc said:
@soulitane said:

@nyadc said:

@soulitane said:

Highly improbable that it will surpass the PlayStation 4, not be nipping at its heels, that's likely. They have the money and have the time to manufacture that many units, that's not even a question. They know their releases for the year are solid, very solid and there are multiple of them, not to mention leading into Quantum Break next year. I just don't see them going into this unprepared to meet the demand that could skyrocket them into an extremely competitive stance, I can't see them blowing that opportunity by playing it safe on manufacturing, especially with the reality that if this doesn't happen they will sell in time either way.

All of this is you talking, not a business. Where is this likelihood coming from? Your head? The PS4 will continue to sell well even with the lack of exclusives currently announced. The Xbox will have to outpace the PS4 by a very large margin in order to get even a few million away from it. The PS4 is not going to stop selling between now and the end of the year. The gap will widen between now and the holiday season and the Xbox needs over 10 million sold as of right now to close the gap.

There is literally no point in them having so many consoles manufactured, especially if they then have to pay to store them somewhere.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Krelian-co
Loading Video...

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NyaDC

@soulitane said:

All of this is you talking, not a business. Where is this likelihood coming from? Your head? The PS4 will continue to sell well even with the lack of exclusives currently announced. The Xbox will have to outpace the PS4 by a very large margin in order to get even a few million away from it. The PS4 is not going to stop selling between now and the end of the year. The gap will widen between now and the holiday season and the Xbox needs over 10 million sold as of right now to close the gap.

There is literally no point in them having so many consoles manufactured, especially if they then have to pay to store them somewhere.

We'll see, just food for thought and I know where you're coming from, don't worry we're on the same page and I can see both sides of the coin.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By QuadKnight

@nyadc said:

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

That's fascinating, it doesn't change the reality that the above is the truth...

Your "truth" is bullshit according to this guy....

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Krelian-co

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

lems like to talk about halo as the coming of jesus, just like when disaster chief collection was announced, bestest collection everest!!!!! ps4 is teh doomed!!!!! and it didn't make a dent on the gap between ps4 and xbone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@Krelian-co said:

lems like to talk about halo as the coming of jesus, just like when disaster chief collection was announced, bestest collection everest!!!!! ps4 is teh doomed!!!!! and it didn't make a dent on the gap between ps4 and xbone.

You didn't see Microsoft winning NPD two months in a row? Stay salty.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Krelian-co

@FastRobby said:

@Krelian-co said:

You didn't see Microsoft winning NPD two months in a row? Stay salty.

yeah xbone won two months in one country because disaster chief, not because it had to cut the price of the console, make deals and give away free games and xblive year memberships.

Still 2 months in one country out of 200 countries in two years? yeah, stay salty lem.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By QuadKnight

@Krelian-co said:

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

@quadknight said:

@nyadc said:

True. Lems like him are completely delusional. They live in a tiny world where all the world plays is Halo, Gears, and Forza. They forget that gaming was thriving long before Masterchef came into the scene and it will continue to thrive after the hasbeen leaves the scene. I don't know why it's so hard for them to believe that it's not 2007 anymore, there are much bigger shooters than Halo. Also exclusives do not move consoles like they used to otherwise WiiU would be winning since it has the most popular videogame icon in history under its belt.