Could Black Mesa come to consoles?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

Since this is now moving from a mod, to a game being publishers with Valves blessing and apparently help (as in legally, they can sell it) what is stopping this remake of the greatest FPS made coming to consoles?

#2 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

What is stopping it from finally releasing on steam ?

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (40034 posts) -

Money?

#4 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Half life fanbase is on PC. they just port on console to make more money otherwise i dont think console gamers care about Half life.

Xbox gamers care more about Halo and Playstation gamers are for Killzone shadow fall

#5 Edited by Wasdie (49753 posts) -

If it gets a full retail release there is nothing stopping Valve from porting it to the console. It's not like it couldn't be played on a console. Half-Life was on the PS2 and it played fine.

If it does make it to the consoles it would have to be a cheap $15 PSN or XBLA game as it would not sell at anything higher. I don't really see a market for it on the consoles. Half-LIfe's fan base exists on the PC. A lot of those gamers have consoles but wouldn't bother playing Half-Life on a console.

I guess Valve could market it as a way to relive Half-Life for the modern gamer and maybe start a new fanbase of Half-Life on the console. I don't think the Orange Box on the PS3/Xbox 360 added many Half-Life fans.

#6 Posted by Ballroompirate (22773 posts) -

Never liked or cared for Half Life 1 compared to Half Life 2 + episodes.

#7 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

It could. I think it would be a nice addition to any console library.

#8 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

well Half life 1 was superior to half life 2 in lot of ways.

#9 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7155 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

In most ways, really.

#10 Posted by NFJSupreme (5301 posts) -

Seems like it would require a lot of red tape. Might not be worth the squeeze

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@Ballroompirate said:

In most ways, really.

Yes and no. Halflife 2 is better in many respects.

Some people claim the AI is better. While indeed the humanoid AI is better, they discount and completely forget about the air AI, the creature AI and the strider/hunter AI. All of which (to this day) move and act in an incredibly organic manner no game has successfully topped.

#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

If it gets a full retail release there is nothing stopping Valve from porting it to the console. It's not like it couldn't be played on a console. Half-Life was on the PS2 and it played fine.

If it does make it to the consoles it would have to be a cheap $15 PSN or XBLA game as it would not sell at anything higher. I don't really see a market for it on the consoles. Half-LIfe's fan base exists on the PC. A lot of those gamers have consoles but wouldn't bother playing Half-Life on a console.

I guess Valve could market it as a way to relive Half-Life for the modern gamer and maybe start a new fanbase of Half-Life on the console. I don't think the Orange Box on the PS3/Xbox 360 added many Half-Life fans.

Does Valve get any money when this game sells on steam (apart from the normal steam fees) ? Do they act as a publisher ?

Afaik Valve never had any control over this project, nor did they force their control on it. The only thing they ever did was that they didn't allow them to use the Source name, as the mod was called "Black Mesa Source" originally, while Valve didn't want them using a Valve product name.

Let's just hope this game is popular enough on PC (steam) so the mod devs can port it to consoles :)

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (30018 posts) -

But would it be 1080p 60fps?

#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

The port to the Half Life 2 engine could be incentive for you to give it another try :)

Do give it a try, it's free.

#15 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@system-reboot said:

@Ballroompirate said:

In most ways, really.

Yes and no. Halflife 2 is better in many respects.

Some people claim the AI is better. While indeed the humanoid AI is better, they discount and completely forget about the air AI, the creature AI and the strider/hunter AI. All of which (to this day) move and act in an incredibly organic manner no game has successfully topped.

The gunplay (GOAT gunplay) AI and level design all superior. however it doesnot make HL2 inferior. both are 2 greatest shooters of all time bar one.

#16 Posted by Wasdie (49753 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Does Valve get any money when this game sells on steam (apart from the normal steam fees) ? Do they act as a publisher ?

Afaik Valve never had any control over this project, nor did they force their control on it. The only thing they ever did was that they didn't allow them to use the Source name, as the mod was called "Black Mesa Source" originally, while Valve didn't want them using a Valve product name.

Let's just hope this game is popular enough on PC (steam) so the mod devs can port it to consoles :)

Valve gets a cut of all sales made on Steam. They also made a deal with the developer of the mod to finish it (the Xen levels are missing) and then they'll publish it into a retail game. I don't know if Valve is behind Black Mesa Source going retail, but I'm sure they'll have to sign off on it.

Making it retail gives them access to a better version of the Source engine too.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5124398/black-mesa-retail-version-coming-to-steam-on-newer-version-of-source

The mod in its current form will always stay free though.

#17 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2951 posts) -

Won't happen anytime soon . It took them 9 years to develop the game for PC . They will enjoy the cash for a while before thinking about other stuff (once it becomes official product) . There are also more complications to publishing the game on consoles compared to PC .

#18 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Valve gets a cut of all sales made on Steam. They also made a deal with the developer of the mod to finish it (the Xen levels are missing) and then they'll publish it into a retail game. I don't know if Valve is behind Black Mesa Source going retail, but I'm sure they'll have to sign off on it.

Making it retail gives them access to a better version of the Source engine too.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5124398/black-mesa-retail-version-coming-to-steam-on-newer-version-of-source

The mod in its current form will always stay free though.

But in that article it doesn't say that Valve will help them develop it.

The mod will come to steam because of greenlight more than Valve I think. Valve has always let the mod devs handle the product.

Basically, it always was supposed to stay a free mod. But the devs saw an opportunity because of the huge popularity of the mod. And I applaud them for that.

Heck, the free mod in its current state is better than some of the commercial remakes out there. I'm talking about remakes that barely have any effort put into them like MOH: Frontline HD or Prince of Persia HD trilogy.

#19 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4761 posts) -

Half life fanbase is on PC. they just port on console to make more money otherwise i dont think console gamers care about Half life.

Xbox gamers care more about Halo and Playstation gamers are for Killzone shadow fall

PlayStation gamer here. And i can't stand any Killzone. It's an utter piece of shit.

You do know that there are other genres in existance other than FPS's?

#20 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4761 posts) -

*golfclap*

Srsly Get the fuck off the internet lol.

#21 Posted by MonsieurX (30018 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

*golfclap*

But why do you keep going after me and quoting me?

Someone got an e-crush

#22 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4761 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

*golfclap*

Someone got an e-crush

lol quite the contrary.

#23 Edited by parkurtommo (26776 posts) -

So are they just selling this mod as a game now? Even though it was free before? Are people supposed to be ok with this?

Edit: Oh so the current form will stay free.

Well they better make some big improvements because it certainly isn't going to be worth buying if all they do is add the Xen levels.

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

So are they just selling this mod as a game now? Even though it was free before? Are people supposed to be ok with this?

Yes.

#25 Edited by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

It could,but it won´t.
I don´t even know why we´re even entertaining this non issue.

#26 Edited by Ballroompirate (22773 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Lets put that in the bag of stupidest shyt said in SW

#27 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Lets put that in the bag of stupidest shyt said in SW

Actually,Half Life being superior to HL2 is a very popular opinion,it´s importance for the genre was certainly much higher than the sequel ever was.

#28 Edited by cainetao11 (17351 posts) -

Shouldnt it be finished first?

#29 Edited by Ballroompirate (22773 posts) -

@Nanomage: Umm no, you rarely hear anyone say Half Life 1 is better than Half Life 2 specially how advance Alyx's AI was back then, and is still one of the best companions in a video game to date. Then you have Ravenholm, one of the most iconic lvls in a video game.

#30 Posted by sSubZerOo (43154 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

@Wasdie said:

.. To my understanding it should be completely free, even when it finally goes through and gets a official release on steam..

#31 Posted by clone01 (24655 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

*golfclap*

Someone got an e-crush

lol quite the contrary.

Doesn't really seem like it from your responses.

#32 Posted by PapaTrop (859 posts) -

It could, but I doubt it.

#33 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

.. To my understanding it should be completely free, even when it finally goes through and gets a official release on steam..

There will be two versions

One free and one paid. The paid one is supposed to offer more.

For a mod of the quality of Black Mesa I'm willing to pay. But only if everyone who worked on it, I'm talking about hundreds of people contributing something to the mod over the years (all driven by their love for HL) receive a fair share of the profits. Even the ones that left the project.

#34 Edited by cfisher2833 (1634 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I'd be astounded if it wasn't. As great as Black Mesa looks, it's still just a Source engine game. The next gen consoles aren't THAT weak....I think. Whether or not Black Mesa makes it to consoles is probably dependent on:

1. Will the modders who made it receive enough money from sales to afford dev kits

2. And do the modders want to bother porting the game instead of developing their own new IP with those funds. I imagine they'd probably want to work on a new game.

btw, I see no problem with them selling it. They did an incredible job and should be rewarded for it.

#35 Posted by Wasdie (49753 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

The mod will come to steam because of greenlight more than Valve I think. Valve has always let the mod devs handle the product.

Basically, it always was supposed to stay a free mod. But the devs saw an opportunity because of the huge popularity of the mod. And I applaud them for that.

Heck, the free mod in its current state is better than some of the commercial remakes out there. I'm talking about remakes that barely have any effort put into them like MOH: Frontline HD or Prince of Persia HD trilogy.

I never said that Valve is developing it, just authorized it to be sold as retail.

They can ensure it will be sold as retail, maybe fund the development of the rest of the levels that were incomplete, and then help them get it out. I haven't heard anything from them for quite some time though.

#36 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7434 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

*golfclap*

#37 Edited by IgGy621985 (4749 posts) -

If it gets released in a commercial form on Steam, I'd support them. So I wouldn't have anything against a console release. Those guys deserve all the support they can get.

#38 Posted by foxhound_fox (88060 posts) -

Would be cool if they could do the Halo/Halo 2 Anniversary "instant retro switch" to see the old and new game in real time.

#39 Posted by harry_james_pot (10786 posts) -

I thought console gamers hate Half-Life..

#40 Edited by PapaTrop (859 posts) -

@Nanomage: Umm no, you rarely hear anyone say Half Life 1 is better than Half Life 2 specially how advance Alyx's AI was back then, and is still one of the best companions in a video game to date. Then you have Ravenholm, one of the most iconic lvls in a video game.

Ravenholm is great, however, Half Life 1 is pretty much a 10 hour long Ravenholm.

The pacing is soooooooooooo much better in Half Life 1 than it is in 2.

#41 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (760 posts) -

If it wasn't that would be absolutely pathetic.

But as for the topic at hand, I kind of doubt it would come to consoles although it would be nice for some younger gamers to get to experience the greatness that is Half Life. Does anyone know if there is any kind of release date in place for it coming to Steam? I have the mod but would definitely like to be able to get Steam Achievements and for it to be an official Steam game rather than just playing it through Steam.

#42 Posted by pyro1245 (772 posts) -

I think that's a great idea but I believe in getting good games to the gamers, regardless of what hardware you have. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it, except the haters. Half-life 1 is an amazing game.

#43 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7434 posts) -

Would be cool if they could do the Halo/Halo 2 Anniversary "instant retro switch" to see the old and new game in real time.

Such an awesome feature.

#44 Edited by padaporra (3406 posts) -

The greatest FPS ever made is Half Life 2.

@foxhound_fox said:

I disagree. The reason for that is because Half Life gunplay is extremely weak, and if I understand correctly to make something like the Halo anniversary you can't change anything that is not purely visual.

Anyway, the way I see it, Half Life is not in the same league as Half Life 2, I don't see it's brilliance the way I do with the second one. I find its gameplay elements to be lacking.

Also, about Black Mesa, it's an incredible mod. I don't even remember when was the first time I heard about it, but they definitely delivered. They walked a fine like between making a faithful remake but also adding their own touches. I still think TR:Anniversary is the best remake I ever played, but this one is special too.

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

My friend you have a mass effect avatar. And opinions.

#46 Posted by padaporra (3406 posts) -

@padaporra said:

My friend you have a mass effect avatar. And the right opinions.

Indeed.

#47 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7434 posts) -

@padaporra said:

Mass Effect sucks though.

#48 Edited by uninspiredcup (8317 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@padaporra said:

Mass Effect sucks though.

And so we come to the epic conclusion of this trilogy of posts.

#49 Posted by padaporra (3406 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 in the only game in existence better than Half Life 2. And then comes KoTOR.

#50 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

I never said that Valve is developing it, just authorized it to be sold as retail.

They can ensure it will be sold as retail, maybe fund the development of the rest of the levels that were incomplete, and then help them get it out. I haven't heard anything from them for quite some time though.

"They also made a deal with the developer of the mod to finish it (the Xen levels are missing) and then they'll publish it into a retail game."

I thought you meant that Valve were helping development when you said "they made a deal to finish it"

Is Valve publishing a retail release or just publishing the game on steam ?

And yeah, it did go pretty dark. But the same thing happaned before the release of Black Mesa mod, everyone thought the mod was canceled or something.