Could a Crysis like game in 2016 be profitable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Crysis was pirated to hell and back and was reportedly at the top of many illegal downloads websites. Crytek's Cevat Yerli even said the piracy could have been as high as 1:20. That is 20 illegal downloads for every legal purchase. Probably an exaggerated figure but you all get the idea that the game was massively pirated.

It came out in 2007 an era in which digital distribution was still in its infancy and services like Steam weren't exactly cosmopolitanism or well-known. Gabe Newell claimed piracy was more due to a service problem. PC games on general were too difficult to access(Installs, DRMS, Authentications etc). Now in 2016 it's easier than ever.

I'm asking you, in 2016 given the dominance of the digital market on the PC front, could a PC melter like Crysis be successful profitable? By that I mean a game that looks phenomenal, plays good and absolutely slaughters even 980Ti's at 1080p. Of course the game would run well on lower end hardware with lower settings, exactly like the original Crysis.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Yeah i think it would.

PC userbase is so significant and i'm sure PC gamers will welcome such a game with open arms.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

But how much did it cost to develop crysis and its engine?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

Well you can always slam Denuvo on it if you are so afraid of piracy hurting your sales.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes it would.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You have to remember back in 2007 Crysis was a game that only people with top in the line rigs could run, if they did that by todays tech then it wouldn't be a profitable game.

flipclic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flipclic
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

@Juub1990: Just look at Star Citizen kickstarter success and you have your answer. PC Gamers are craving for a no-holds barred game that makes use of all the hardware you can buy.

With that said, Star Citizen is already the new Crysis, if you want top eye candy and put your newly bought machine to test, try Star Citizen.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Problem was that Crytek had the idea that the game would sell like console games hard and fast. But didn't realize that the people that had good enough hardware was light. People didn't want to play the game below high settings as well. And once the 8800GT and 8800GTS 512mb released that kick started the sales within three months a million copies were sold.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46650 Posts

It was profitable back in 2007, so I don't see why it wouldn't be profitable now.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Good games are mostly profitable.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts
@flipclic said:

@Juub1990: Just look at Star Citizen kickstarter success and you have your answer. PC Gamers are craving for a no-holds barred game that makes use of all the hardware you can buy.

With that said, Star Citizen is already the new Crysis, if you want top eye candy and put your newly bought machine to test, try Star Citizen.

One and done. SC has 1M+ backers alone and it's keepign steady with each month, showing that people DO want a high end pc game.

Besides, Squadron 42 IS teh new Crysis.

Sooooooooo......

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990

@Ballroompirate: False. The higher settings could only run on beefy hardware but the lower setting scaled well with lower-end systems.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

TBH with the drought of worth buy games on consoles I think anything with shiny graphics and the word exclusive tacked on would sell well.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

That depends. Did Far Cry Primal turn profit?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Crysis went on to sell over 3 million copies about a year or 2 after release (much more now) thats more than many console exclusives manage, it was the best selling game on a single platform they ever made, out of any platform they developed for and it afforded them to make Crysis 2.

It was profitable for them back in 2007 but Cevat Yerli is a greedy bastard that was never happy he wanted that COD type of money and look how they blew it, Crysis 3 sold less than crysis 1 on 3 platforms, and they pissed off their original fanbase

Also that 20 to 1 is a totally made up statistic, "Could have been" does not cut it when you are trying to prove a point

Funny how people always seem to avoid the small details, thats where the devil is.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juub1990

To all people saying Star Citizen. The game will have a lot of content and will be huge and its gameplay might be something unseen but from a graphical standpoint, it's not the revolution Crysis was. It looks very impressive but it's not the milestone Crytek created in 2007. Might turn out into a better game but probably not into a better piece of graphical showcase.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

I would love to see a "modern Crysis" with huge open levels, fantastic AI, destructible environments that both you and the NPCs interact with and the NPCs would react realistically when shot or stabbed and not just fight back until they are dead. All this and more together with amazing graphics that's well above games like TW3 and SW:Battlefront.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

difficult to say.

the cost of making such a game now could be 10X or more as what crysis cost to make. crysis cost $22million to make according to dinternet. so looking at 110million or more (probably more...PCs have gotten a crap ton more poweful since then and we are taking about a game that will bring the highest core I7 with titanXs and buckets of ram to its knees).

thats a lot of money for a production budget. thats GTA5 type money...we are not taking anything trivial here. hell by movie budgets thats not small either. that's "ok..we could sink the company of this goes south" money.

to be honest i dont think there is any one platform that could support such a risk. sure..maybe itll hit GTA type success and maybe it will turn out well. or maybe itll tank and a crap ton of money is lost.

crysis did a lot of things to lift the bar. it wasnt just graphics. the scale of the physics system had no equal. nothing, not even HL2, was as interactive as crysis. even the AI was a lot of sophisticated than what we saw (and see) in games. sure it was buggy in places (im sure there are plenty of videos of player exploiting a weakness in the AI) but it was still a big step up.

i think the cost is too high now (the wallet, not the consoles, is the biggest bottleneck in the industry at the moment). i dont think it would make the money back on retail sales alone...or at least the risk is too high. it would probably need to sell (assuming the standard 60 quid release price) around 7-8 million units to break even.

it could, perhaps, pay off in less tangible ways.

if i was EA for example i could use such a game to build my PS5 and X2 tech off of for example. i could essentially release a PS5 game now, before its release, realease it on the PS5 when it is released and i will be further along in R&D for making the best out of next gen hardware. i can then use this tech and knowledge to release next gen multiplats faster and refine the tech as needed rather than using a PS4 engine for the PS5. this has worked for EA this gen. say what you want about the quality of their games but they look absolutely stunning and clearly take advantage of what current hardware can do better than pretty much any other developer. star wars looks better than first party efforts for example.

bugatti (well VW basically) created the bugatti veyron many years ago and they sold the car at a loss. it was a technical exercise..a peeing contest. they spent a fortune on R&D and they sold the car at a loss. on the face of it it made no sense. but it gave the brand a bump in recognition, associated it with quality and excellence and who knows what lessons learned from it were applied elsewhere?

but i dont think any one platform can support that kind of budget really....the risk is just to high. hell even with 3 its high enough that AAA development is creatively dead at the moment.

star citizen is not an example. that money raised is the production budget. in terms of revenue and profit the game has made 0. bupkis. it's not released so of course it hasn't made anything. the sales could also be depressed when it does arrive simply because most people who want it will have already bought it before release. it may never be profitable...it could just be an exercise in constant reinvestment in the game based on revenue generated (which is not a bad business model has to be said) so the balance sheet may still read 0. they have no shareholders and are not publically traded so why not?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Crysis has a demo. So, a 1:20 ratio is pretty high.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

To all people saying Star Citizen. The game will have a lot of content and will be huge and its gameplay might be something unseen but from a graphical standpoint, it's not the revolution Crysis was. It looks very impressive but it's not the milestone Crytek created in 2007. Might turn out into a better game but probably not into a better piece of graphical showcase.

but that has nothing to do with the question you were asking. What other game is doing what star citizen is attempting to do in terms of visuals AND scale? Star citizen when finished is gonna require a beast of a system to run at full settings and givin its very sucessfull crowd funding its clear PC gamers are more than willing to spend money for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I think today most developers understand what piracy is, and how it actually impacts the industry, and that's why PC gets so many games today. Some of those coming out will decimate PCs.

The main reason nobody will make an exclusive FPS, or similar game is because there's no incentive to keep it PC exclusive. FPS games can play on consoles, often poorly, but they play. And shooters typically have the mosf focus on graphics.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
@lawlessx said:

but that has nothing to do with the question you were asking. What other game is doing what star citizen is attempting to do in terms of visuals AND scale? Star citizen when finished is gonna require a beast of a system to run at full settings and givin its very sucessfull crowd funding its clear PC gamers are more than willing to spend money for it.

That's exactly what I asked in the OP. Star Citizen won't be the benchmark Crysis was back in 2007. It won't bring top of the line hardware to its knees the way Crysis did and it sure as hell isn't as revolutionary graphically.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Uh yeah that game was pretty good, and there are more established digital platforms. The question isn't whether or not the game is profitable, but whether or not it is worth investing that type of money in a product like that. Which was the general issue Crytek had with "only" selling 3 million copies, with the guarantee that game development wasn't getting cheaper, and it hasn't gotten cheaper. In fact given how high the costs are, given there is good reason to believe that a successful title like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain isn't necessarily profitable, I'm not completely sure on that without ever looking at hard numbers.

And as technically well thought out MGSV is (not the texture beast you think it is, but it's a really optimized engine, it runs 60 frames across consoles, there are so many individual mechanics that play on top of each other, oh and the game is unfinished to boot), there are shit that it doesn't do, that Crysis absolutely did like as simple as how the physics engine works in that game. That type of man hour will cost a pretty penny, but to be fair that was the worst thing to happen to Crytek is that kept feeling they needed to keep pushing some visual thing, and not actually working on core gameplay. Because as good as I think Crysis is, that game should have been an elite type FPS experience, but it fucking isn't because the second half of that game is fucking TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH.

I mean so incredibly garbage as to make Ubisoft nonsense seem fun in comparison. And they made that mistake twice in one life time, because that's exactly what Far Cry is. A badass first half, but oh my fucking god is that second half garbage. The sequels to Crysis were take out all the badass parts people liked in Crysis, and just keep all the shitty things no one likes about a Crytek game. Can't imagine why their future games sold like shit and they weren't as well received as they were for FarCry and Crysis.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I'm hoping Squadron 42 / Star Citizen will be that game. The game to bring top tier gpu's to their knees. It's the closest thing we have to a 2016 Crysis.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

I would think so, people were pretty excited about it.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

lol wut?

Not game has the level of detail that the Old Man trailer had. The ship details, suit details and even the facial capture (animation still needs some work), considering will have dozens of those people running around in first person, is unmatched.

I hate the stupid sayig, but, screw it, its closest to looking to like pure CG so far.

And this doesn't include potential massive battles with dozens of ships on screen and/or environmental physics inside space stations. Though i expect themt o focus on the former since SC has alot fo metalic environments for obvious reasons.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

yes it could

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

With the way people drool over graphics here I think it has a better than average chance

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

We'll see with Squadron 42.

If a Crysis-like game was priced right and distributed through as many online distributes as possible, I think it would do well. Plenty of PC gamers out there who are willing to punish their PC just because they can.

I don't think it would be a mega seller, but it would have strong lifetimes sales in addition to a decent launch. As people upgrade their PCs or build PCs, they'll pick up the game with the reputation of destroying PCs just to see hows their's stacks up. There is a sort of prestige to being able to play a known PC killer at a decent framerate on your PC.

That's partly why Crysis lasted so long. For so long there was a prestige about being able to run Crysis well. We don't have a game like that today because most devs aren't willing to risk it or they decided to go multiplat.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Ok , I'm Living in Iran , A Place that game companies didn't officially sell their games , Amazon , EBay and Gamestop still don't ship games to Iran and just until Recently , Iranian banks weren't connected to the rest of the world so gamers couldn't pay for games and download them . So Pirating was pretty much the only way of playing games .

Even with such situation , I can see Piracy getting rare . It is still the main way for gamers to get games but many of them will go through the difficulties of buying a game , mostly because of the Online features . DRM and Locks on games is making many games impossible to crack , Fifa 16 is a good example . also online multiplayer is a huge part of many games today and many don't want to miss that . so Piracy won't be as harsh as it was back 2007 .

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The digital market is huge on pc because everyone knows and waits for the scheduled price cuts. This snt a good thing for expensive game development.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Frankly crysis 1 is the only game that makes owing a high end pc worth it. A true game built for high end PCs with no compromise . Ironically, such a thing was never attempted again despite all these presumed pc market growth claims.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

@Heirren said:

The digital market is huge on pc because everyone knows and waits for the scheduled price cuts. This snt a good thing for expensive game development.

scheduled? You get games under retail price before the games even release, contrast to that developer gets higher share of the actual sale vs console sale

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@howmakewood:

Console experience the same thing. 3rd party developers nickel and dime console gamers. The real money they make is after the sale. However, console games are now offered under retail price before release. $59.99 priced games now tend to go for $47 on amazon.