Consolites are too young to know it, BUT PC dominated since SNES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Based on Wikipedia's best-selling games list (which appears to be reliably sourced), the number of 5 million+ sellers on each system this gen are:

Wii - 15

360 - 9

PC - 5

PS3 - 3

In other words, the Wii and 360 both had more 5 million+ sellers than the PC, while the PS3 appears to have had fewer 5 million+ sellers than the PC.

EDIT:

Slight correction... Change that to 5 for the PS3. The Wikipedia list doesn't take into account the total sales for MGS4 or Uncharted 2 (both of which exceeded 5 million), which was posted in this thread a few pages earlier. In other words, the PS3 and PC appear to be on par in terms of 5 million+ sellers.

lundy86_4

Whilst you are proving that it happens -- which wasn't contested -- you aren't proving that it happens routinely. Of the, nigh on thousands, of titles released this gen... 27 does not really convey a "routine" or "regular" occurrence.

That's what Lazycloth claimed, not me.
#352 Posted by MBirdy88 (8993 posts) -
I'm look at this thread and thinking once again "Why is sales the only thing a console gamer can come up with" since when did sales = quality in ANY industry.
#353 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

Why the top 10 and top 20 lists? Why don't we just see everything...

260pbu1.jpg

slide_03_2011.jpg

PC beats any single console.

Jankarcop

And the source for that is PC Gaming Alliance... which doesn't sound like a reliable source at all.

#354 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -
I'm look at this thread and thinking once again "Why is sales the only thing a console gamer can come up with" since when did sales = quality in ANY industry.MBirdy88
Straw man. No one claimed sales = quality.
#355 Posted by MBirdy88 (8993 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

260pbu1.jpg

slide_03_2011.jpg

Jag85

And the source for that is PC Gaming Alliance... which doesn't sound like a reliable source at all.

Do you know who is involved in that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Gaming_Alliance yes, even microsoft. Granted, that site has done nothing since. all they had to do was accumulate statistics to get the point across and they did. now it serves no real purpose. Are you going to make out all these major companies are liars?
#356 Posted by MBirdy88 (8993 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]I'm look at this thread and thinking once again "Why is sales the only thing a console gamer can come up with" since when did sales = quality in ANY industry.Jag85

Then explain the obsession and focus on it continuously?
#357 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Based on Wikipedia's best-selling games list (which appears to be reliably sourced), the number of 5 million+ sellers on each system this gen are:

Wii - 15

360 - 9

PC - 5

PS3 - 3

In other words, the Wii and 360 both had more 5 million+ sellers than the PC, while the PS3 appears to have had fewer 5 million+ sellers than the PC.

EDIT:

Slight correction... Change that to 5 for the PS3. The Wikipedia list doesn't take into account the total sales for MGS4 or Uncharted 2 (both of which exceeded 5 million), which was posted in this thread a few pages earlier. In other words, the PS3 and PC appear to be on par in terms of 5 million+ sellers.

Jag85

Honestly you just have lost all credibility. I went to wikipedia to check and found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

There are a bit more than 5 games there.  We have a liar over here.

EDIT: Sales from digital distribution outlets such as Steam are not taken into account. So probably PC oversold any phisical copies consoles sales. Especially Skyrim.

We are obviously talking about the current generation, not every single generation combined. Stop lying to yourself, mate.

EDIT:

By the way, the list I was referring to is this one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

PC does NOT have generations, Whenever you compare PC you do NOT take generations into considerations, You ALWAYS take PC gaming as a WHOLE.
#358 Posted by MBirdy88 (8993 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

Honestly you just have lost all credibility. I went to wikipedia to check and found this

EDIT: Sales from digital distribution outlets such as Steam are not taken into account. So probably PC oversold any phisical copies consoles sales. Especially Skyrim.

faizan_faizan

We are obviously talking about the current generation, not every single generation combined. Stop lying to yourself, mate.

EDIT:

PC does NOT have generations, Whenever you compare PC you do NOT take generations into considerations, You ALWAYS take PC gaming as a WHOLE.

No, we don't here, we go from the first console of this generation. dont give him silly counter-arguement ideas like "its unfair to count previous generations" because as a rule here in SW we don't.
#359 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

260pbu1.jpg

slide_03_2011.jpg

MBirdy88

Do you know who is involved in that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Gaming_Alliance yes, even microsoft. Granted, that site has done nothing since. all they had to do was accumulate statistics to get the point across and they did. now it serves no real purpose. Are you going to make out all these major companies are liars?

The question is: Who posted that pie chart? Was it some random forum user, some writer for the site, or some representative from one of those companies? Where's the original link?
#360 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]I'm look at this thread and thinking once again "Why is sales the only thing a console gamer can come up with" since when did sales = quality in ANY industry.MBirdy88

Then explain the obsession and focus on it continuously?

The point of it is profitability, i.e. which platforms are more profitable and/or generate higher revenues. It's a different topic altogether, and one that's more relevant to the game developers/publishers. And it's not like PC gamers don't talk about it, because I've seen many that do.
#361 Posted by AdrianWerner (28164 posts) -

PC games sold worse than console games tho.

The only PC games of the era that sold well were Doom (shareware version was much more popular than the "full" one) and Myst.

nameless12345

Nonsense. Theme Park sold over 4 mln copies. Half-Life outsold first Halo by a large margin

#362 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Jag85"] We are obviously talking about the current generation, not every single generation combined. Stop lying to yourself, mate.

EDIT:

MBirdy88

No, we don't here, we go from the first console of this generation. dont give him silly counter-arguement ideas like "its unfair to count previous generations" because as a rule here in SW we don't.

Didn't know about that, That is silly though.
#363 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

PC games sold worse than console games tho.

The only PC games of the era that sold well were Doom (shareware version was much more popular than the "full" one) and Myst.

AdrianWerner

Nonsense. Theme Park sold over 4 mln copies. Half-Life outsold first Halo by a large margin

Theme Park was a loooot of fun, Nearly spent like 50 Hours, But always went bankrupt :(
#364 Posted by AdrianWerner (28164 posts) -

Jag85

The source of graphs? Sure.

The source of data used to create it?  No, that's inpdendent market research company

#365 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] PC does NOT have generations, Whenever you compare PC you do NOT take generations into considerations, You ALWAYS take PC gaming as a WHOLE.faizan_faizan

Didn't know about that, That is silly though.

How would you like it if console gamers all united and combined all consoles against the PC? That would obviously give consoles an unfair advantage, so there wouldn't be any point to it. If we are comparing each platform individually, then we should also compare each era/generation individually as well.

#366 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

AdrianWerner

The source of graphs? Sure.

The source of data used to create it?  No, that's inpdendent market research company

What is that independent market research company called? And does anyone have the link to the source?
#367 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1859 posts) -
PC gaming was pretty dominant in the 80's too. The IBM PC, and IBM PC "clones", the commodore 64, the Apple II/GS/ The Amiga 1000/500, all the computers that were crazy popular in europe. PC gaming has always had a strong presents, and has stayed consistently popular since the 70's.
#368 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5113 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Wii - 15

360 - 9

PC - 5

PS3 - 3

EDIT:

Jag85

EDIT:

As I already said, if they don´t take into account digital distributors then this list is bogus. Skyrim, for example, according to my estimations sold over 1M copies on Steam on launch day. Only god knows how many copies it sold when it was discounted during Steam and Amazon special events. But from what I saw, Skyrim was number 1 in Steam, Greenmangaming and Amazon  sales during every sales event in the last 2 years. So probably we are talking about 3M additional copies sold since launch. Sum it up to physical copies sales and we have arround 6.7 M units sold on PC alone. 

You see, Skyrim, in that case, would easily make it to the list.

So, this list is flawed adn doesn´t reflect reality.

Explain me how, in one year, Steam´s number of dayly concurrent users jumped from 5M to 6.5M.Should we ignore Steam and Amazon sales becuase they don´t fit into your vision of gaming?  

#369 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -
PC gaming was pretty dominant in the 80's too. The IBM PC, and IBM PC "clones", the commodore 64, the Apple II/GS/ The Amiga 1000/500, all the computers that were crazy popular in europe. PC gaming has always had a strong presents, and has stayed consistently popular since the 70's.AlexKidd5000
There was also the ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro from the UK, and the NEC, Sharp, Fujitsu and MSX platforms from Japan. Back in the 80s, PC's were just as divided as consoles, with different platforms competing for dominance, until the IBM PC and its clones eventually came to dominate in the 90s. By the way, PC gaming wasn't really popular at all in the 70s. It was in the 80s when PC gaming started growing in popularity.
#370 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

Should we ignore Steam and Amazon sales becuase they don´t fit your vision of gaming?  

jhonMalcovich

We're forced to ignore them because they don't provide numbers.

I'm logged into Steam right now, and every day.

Doesn't mean I'm part of the "PC Gaming Army."

If even 1 million of those users buy 5 games a year I'd be very impressed.

PC gaming has always consisted of a small hardcore elite, not a mass market.

#371 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

Should we ignore Steam and Amazon sales becuase they don´t fit your vision of gaming?  

LazySloth718

Wasn't there like 10M wow players ?

I also only own 279 games on steam... how many years would that make if I only bought 5 a year.

#372 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

Bebi_vegeta

No idea. I heard wow was dying.

#373 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5113 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

LazySloth718

Explain me then how, in one year, Steam´s number of daily concurrent users jumped from 5M to 6.5M

#374 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

LazySloth718

No idea. I heard wow was dying.

Well I'm sure you do have an idea... I mean, this is a well known thing. 

WoW has been out for for what 9 years... and it's still strong. Good luck finding a console community that strong.

#375 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

jhonMalcovich

Explain me then how, in one year, Steam´s number of daily concurrent users jumped from 5M to 6.5M

I'm looking at Steam, it says 5.8 million concurrent users in the last 48 hours.

Did it lose 700,000 people this year?

#376 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

WoW has been out for for what 9 years... and it's still strong. Good luck finding a console community that strong.

Bebi_vegeta

Sooner or later that cow will run dry.

Then what.

More MMO's?

#377 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

LazySloth718

Then what.

More MMO's?

Hey don't blame the PC because it has a big customer base for MMO. Where else are people who want to play MMO go ?

#378 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5113 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

LazySloth718

Then what.

More MMO's?

Yep. Then comes Titan. Next-gen MMO from Blizzard.

#379 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5113 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

LazySloth718

I'm looking at Steam, it says 5.8 million concurrent users in the last 48 hours.

Did it lose 700,000 people this year?

If you look now it says

During the peak days it comes to 6.5M.

So are you gonna explain that or you will just ignore facts again.

#380 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Then what.

More MMO's?

Hey don't blame the PC because it has a big customer base for MMO. Where else are people who want to play MMO go ?

They do have them on consoles; So far it is in its infancy on consoles.

Though I wouldn't classify myself as too young. Though it is all reletive I'm old to somebody that is young but I'm young to somebody that is older then me.

#381 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

Then what.

More MMO's?

Nintendo_Ownes7

Though I wouldn't classify myself as too young. Though it is all reletive I'm old to somebody that is young but I'm young to somebody that is older then me.

I didn't say there wasn't any on console, the choice is rather limited.

#382 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

It is just the 2nd sentence looks like you did but that could just be me misunderstanding.

#383 Posted by lundy86_4 (44102 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Wii - 15

360 - 9

PC - 5

PS3 - 3

EDIT:

Jag85

Whilst you are proving that it happens -- which wasn't contested -- you aren't proving that it happens routinely. Of the, nigh on thousands, of titles released this gen... 27 does not really convey a "routine" or "regular" occurrence.

That's what Lazycloth claimed, not me.

I know. However, it seemed like you were proving his argument, or at least attempting to. Just seemed odd that you post something in the exact ballpark that Lazysloth was claiming.

#384 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

jhonMalcovich

EDIT:

As I already said, if they don´t take into account digital distributors then this list is bogus. Skyrim, for example, according to my estimations sold over 1M copies on Steam on launch day. Only god knows how many copies it sold when it was discounted during Steam and Amazon special events. But from what I saw, Skyrim was number 1 in Steam, Greenmangaming and Amazon  sales during every sales event in the last 2 years. So probably we are talking about 3M additional copies sold since launch. Sum it up to physical copies sales and we have arround 6.7 M units sold on PC alone. 

You see, Skyrim, in that case, would easily make it to the list.

So, this list is flawed adn doesn´t reflect reality.

Explain me how, in one year, Steam´s number of dayly concurrent users jumped from 5M to 6.5M.Should we ignore Steam and Amazon sales becuase they don´t fit into your vision of gaming?  

What's with all the straw mans? When did I say digital distribution doesn't count? Either way, there aren't any reliable figures for Steam sales, so there's no way speculative estimates such as yours would be acceptable on Wikipedia. Besides, if you want to use speculative Steam numbers without any basis, then why not let Consolites use VGChartz numbers?
#385 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]They do have them on consoles; So far it is in its infancy on consoles.

Nintendo_Ownes7

It is just the 2nd sentence looks like you did but that could just be me misunderstanding.

Comparing what PC has, we could almost say console has none... hence my statement.

#386 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9962 posts) -

PC Elitists Ignore Their Roots

#387 Posted by Tessellation (8837 posts) -
PC gaming will always dominate.
#388 Posted by Peredith (2288 posts) -

Don't you mean "PC gaming hasn't dominated since the Snes?"

#389 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17189 posts) -

PC Elitists Ignore Their Roots

W1NGMAN-

Yeah. I saw this a while back. He apparently didn't have the balls to show how far ahead the Amiga was compared to consoles back then. I was an Amiga gamer until 1994.

#390 Posted by Jankarcop (10282 posts) -

Don't you mean "PC gaming hasn't dominated since the Snes?"

Peredith

After SNES pc has won every aaa/aa aaa/aaE count here :| . It has consistantly had the best gfx/performance and multiplat versions too.

I'd say PC lost the first few gens because it took a while to start up, but the last 4 its been winning quite easily.

#391 Posted by Jankarcop (10282 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

260pbu1.jpg

slide_03_2011.jpg

Jag85

The first one is from NewZoo.  Both are accurate and do not contain fruadulant information.

If you disagree, it is your duty to factually discover or research how thsoe are fraudulant.  Until you do, they are 100% valid.

In otherwords, until you prove your claim, PC has a higher software revenue and you lost the "debate".

#392 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

So VGChartz is suddenly a valid source right?

Since all these "PC associations" are a valid source.

Console games routinely sell 5+ mil.

PC games once in a blue moon.

It's just reality that most of you won't accept.

But that's ok because reality exists whether you accept it or not.

#393 Posted by lundy86_4 (44102 posts) -

Console games routinely sell 5+ mil.

LazySloth718

Did you find the evidence for that, yet?

Burden of Proof.

#394 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9884 posts) -
lol TC is just like all PC gaming fans, claiming ownage with graphics. That was never the appeal of consoles
#395 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

LazySloth718

#396 Posted by lundy86_4 (44102 posts) -

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

LazySloth718

So, you didn't find any evidence, then? :lol:

You are so idiotic. It's not my fault that you can't back up your own claims... You probably shouldn't make things up.

#397 Posted by jessejay420 (4089 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"] Butthurt hermit, move along lads.

Agreed!
#398 Posted by jessejay420 (4089 posts) -

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

lundy86_4

So, you didn't find any evidence, then? :lol:

You are so idiotic. It's not my fault that you can't back up your own claims... You probably shouldn't make things up.

Lundy is constantly Owning People :) Reminds me of the old System Wars of 2004 :) keep it up,brotha! ;)
#399 Posted by Jag85 (5129 posts) -

The first one is from NewZoo.  Both are accurate and do not contain fruadulant information.

If you disagree, it is your duty to factually discover or research how thsoe are fraudulant.  Until you do, they are 100% valid.

In otherwords, until you prove your claim, PC has a higher software revenue and you lost the "debate".

Jankarcop

I'm not the one making bogus claims. There's nothing for me to prove.

The burden of proof lies on you to prove your bogus claim. Try again.

#400 Posted by MBirdy88 (8993 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jag85

I'm not the one making bogus claims. There's nothing for me to prove.

The burden of proof lies on you to prove your bogus claim. Try again.

Are you 3 the same account? epic trolling.