Console gaming is a mess.

• 100 results
#1 Edited by DevilMightCry (3478 posts) -

The problem with consoles is that the manufacturers decided the product they wanted to sell before they ever even thought about asking consumers what they wanted.

Kinect, Blu-ray, whatever the fuck Nintendo thinks it's doing...

People buy consoles to play games easily. That's it.

They want to plug it in, put the game in, and play. They want it to be seamless and automatic. Everything that gets in the way of doing that gives them less and less reason to own a console.

Logins, accounts, menus, installation, patches, updates, load times, the server's down right now, so fuck you, lag, shitty customer service...

Seriously, why bother? There's no advantage over a PC anymore.

People buy consoles because they want to play games without having to worry about the games' life support system.

They don't give a shit if it's a little bit slower or less powerful, or the graphics aren't quite as good, or... none of that.

They care about one thing, and one thing only: They get to push a button and start playing games, and it just works without them ever having to fuck around with anything.

Only, now, that's not true anymore. It DOESN'T work. It's slow, cumbersome, and there's a weird ass secret handshake just to get it to do anything. On top of that, we're still playing year-old games built on 4-year-old engines, running on decade-old servers. We literally delivered dump trucks full of cash to places like EA, Microsoft, and Infinity Ward, with the expectation that they would buy some fucking servers.

Instead, they launched stupid schemes were you can pay even more to rent your own server, and even then it's still a slow piece of shit.

Oh well.

Am I alone on this?

#2 Posted by nutcrackr (12465 posts) -

Console games have always been following what is done on the PC, so it makes sense than these types of things come up on the new consoles.

#3 Posted by PapaTrop (492 posts) -

I turned on my computer today, double clicked a game icon, and played video games for a few hours.

It was quite magical.

#4 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8765 posts) -

It's kind of funny that you say "whatever the hell Nintendo thinks it's doing" because aren't they the only ones who are creating a console that does what you say a console should do?

It's a GAMING system and almost all of its features are geared with that focus. You can also just put in a game and play it instantly.

#5 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@papatrop said:

I turned on my computer today, double clicked a game icon, and played video games for a few hours.

It was quite magical.

Really I thought Computers only did spreadsheets and stuff like that!

#6 Posted by PapaTrop (492 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

Woah woah woah. Let's keep this forum rated PG.

Spreadsheets are for after everyone has gone to bed.

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

they call me the king of the spreadsheets

got 'em all printed out on my bedsheets

my new computers got the clocks, it rocks

but it was obsolete before i opened the box

#8 Posted by edwardecl (2112 posts) -

Late to the party are we... consoles have been like this since last gen. Games need updates to get the day one patches, if you want them, games also need installing because the optical drive is too slow especially at random reads.

If you are playing a single player game there is no lag, you don't have to create an account (well not so much as entering a profile name). I don't really understand the argument here unless you are retarded and don't know how to read whats on the screen.

#9 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

I can honestly say I'm pretty happy with my ps4. Sony nailed it with price, specs, user interface, and value proposition (ps+). They haven't been this good since the ps1 days imo.

#10 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

consoles have the better games. That's the advantage they have. Until PC can match that they will always be in second place

#11 Posted by lostrib (34509 posts) -

I can honestly say I'm pretty happy with my ps4. Sony nailed it with price, specs, user interface, and value proposition (ps+). They haven't been this good since the ps1 days imo.

I think you forgot the most important part

#12 Edited by lostrib (34509 posts) -

consoles have the better games. That's the advantage they have. Until PC can match that they will always be in second place

#13 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10339 posts) -

The problem with consoles is that the manufacturers decided the product they wanted to sell before they ever even thought about asking consumers what they wanted.

Do you really think a group of a small group of people (the "customers" they would be asking what they want in a console) can speak for the 50-100 million people that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo expect to sell to?

The vast majority of console players don't understand the difference between MHz and GB. Don't understand what 1080p 60 FPS means. They don't want to deal with .exe files or updating drivers. Console gamers want to buy a console and play games, play music by clicking on a app, watch Youtube and Netflix.

#14 Posted by osan0 (12628 posts) -

i mostly agree with you. for me the pinnacle of what a console should be is the gamecube.

clever hardware meant it offered great bang per buck in terms of performance. it was built like a tank. its reliability was very very good (a few issues but nothing serious). it was simplicity itself to use. put the disc in and off you go. it loaded games quickly and got you into the game as fast as possible.

hardware wise i think sony nailed it with the PS4 mostly. but its the software and how it uses the resources available to it that has become a complete mess and this applies to all 3 consoles. the internet and online gaming have also become a bit of a double edged sword....it just gives developers the green light to release console games in a terrible state. console games werent always released in a great state before of course but its much worse now.

i have a wiiu at the moment and the OS is, frankly, unacceptable. everything about the console is slow and lethargic. its slow to launch something as simple as settings and a game can be stuck on the splash screen for up to 10 seconds. my PC can boot from cold faster than my wiiu can come out of standby. this is not good enough. the installs on the other consoles are a dirty workaround for inadecquate disc drives (though at least its better than trying to ru everything off the slow disc drive like on the wiiu). not clever caching of data in the background like on the first xbox...full fat installs. its sloppy accross the board.

you know its getting really bad when console gamers start asking for a file manager on a console. the only data that the user should ever be concerned about on a console is their save files.

give me a console that has 3-4 functions (save file, start game, set the clock, connection setup....maybe launch an online store also...maybe), that offers great bang per buck, has a few interesting tricks up its sleeve, has a custom disc drive for fast loading (blu ray drives are not fast enough) and a HDD (small capacity to keep costs down but make it easy to upgrade) to help further increase loading speed (but installs would be banned), is developer friendly and reliable and you can take your bloated crap and shove it.

#15 Edited by Zen_Light (1231 posts) -

What exactly do you want console makers to do?

#16 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@lostrib: you support SDC?

and shouldn't you have been banned for being and I speak fact alt account?

#17 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

@DevilMightCry said:

Do you really think a group of a small group of people (the "customers" they would be asking what they want in a console) can speak for the 50-100 million people that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo expect to sell to?

The vast majority of console players don't understand the difference between MHz and GB. Don't understand what 1080p 60 FPS means. They don't want to deal with .exe files or updating drivers. Console gamers want to buy a console and play games, play music by clicking on a app, watch Youtube and Netflix.

Pretty much. I wouldn't even know where to put a desktop if I bought one and I would hate having to plug that in or carry it around. Plus, I don't know why people make a big stink about graphics. I think the graphics on the ps4 are pretty good. Destiny looked awesome when I played the beta. I do play some PC games though (mostly strategy games on my laptop).

#18 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

Kinect, Blu-ray, whatever the fuck Nintendo thinks it's doing...

People buy consoles to play games easily. That's it.

They want to plug it in, put the game in, and play. They want it to be seamless and automatic. Everything that gets in the way of doing that gives them less and less reason to own a console.

Logins, accounts, menus, installation, patches, updates, load times, the server's down right now, so fuck you, lag, shitty customer service...

Seriously, why bother? There's no advantage over a PC anymore.

People buy consoles because they want to play games without having to worry about the games' life support system.

They don't give a shit if it's a little bit slower or less powerful, or the graphics aren't quite as good, or... none of that.

They care about one thing, and one thing only: They get to push a button and start playing games, and it just works without them ever having to fuck around with anything.

Only, now, that's not true anymore. It DOESN'T work. It's slow, cumbersome, and there's a weird ass secret handshake just to get it to do anything. On top of that, we're still playing year-old games built on 4-year-old engines, running on decade-old servers. We literally delivered dump trucks full of cash to places like EA, Microsoft, and Infinity Ward, with the expectation that they would buy some fucking servers.

Instead, they launched stupid schemes were you can pay even more to rent your own server, and even then it's still a slow piece of shit.

Oh well.

Am I alone on this?

yes you are.

gaming on consoles is still simple. xbox on, xbox go to titanfall and i'm ready to play. before even picking up my controller.

Also MS is building new server farms all the time. they have over 1 million servers and most of them are pretty new. one was just finished last year and another is being built right now. They have 300k of those set aside for XBL on the X1. MS is the only one giving new servers. So i can kind of agree with you there. Sony, EA, activison etc aren't doing anything on that side of the equation. As far as the engines go. thats up to the devs. the systems are new. some games have new engines some don't.

#19 Posted by lostrib (34509 posts) -

@lostrib: you support SDC?

and shouldn't you have been banned for being and I speak fact alt account?

Check with the mods, see what they say

#20 Posted by commonfate (12252 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

He said he was playing a game not Evo.

#21 Edited by remiks00 (1709 posts) -

@DevilMightCry I actually agree with you for the most part. Consoles have definitely evolved ( for lack of a better word). The only real advantage they have over PC, imo, is their console exclusives. Until games like Uncharted, TLoU, Persona, the newer Final Fantasies, Metal Gear Solid, Tales, etc.. start appearing more on PC, then I am forced to eventually buy a console. Slowly but surely, this seems to be changing, as more Japanese games are coming to steam & GoG. I mostly game on PC these days, so I would love for more ports to be made.

#22 Posted by NFJSupreme (5152 posts) -

just build a PC and be done with it.

#23 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

Spreadsheet master race represent!

#24 Edited by svaubel (2443 posts) -

It's kind of funny that you say "whatever the hell Nintendo thinks it's doing" because aren't they the only ones who are creating a console that does what you say a console should do?

It's a GAMING system and almost all of its features are geared with that focus. You can also just put in a game and play it instantly.

They are the only ones that have a gaming console. The others are like inferior PCs with tons of extra steps between putting in a disc and playing a game.

#25 Edited by TheEroica (13308 posts) -

@DevilMightCry: I'm not quite sure I understand the "secret handshake" comment... I know consoles require a set up on par with setting up any modern day electronic device, pc included (wifi, signing in to services etc) but I'm not following what makes them not, plug and play...

As for the overall topic, yeah pc has many advantages... one thing that keeps consoles always relevant though is the trail of money that follows the console install base. Bottom line, games will always be at their best from a performance aspect on pc, but game development will for the foreseeable be catered to the console experience as its the money making lowest common denominator and that makes consoles purchases relevant for those wanting now generation at reduced prices.

#26 Posted by Omega-316 (783 posts) -

Can one play fighting games on computer? No? Oh, okay then. End thread.

#27 Edited by lostrib (34509 posts) -

Can one play fighting games on computer?

yes

#28 Posted by wis3boi (31115 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

I bought my 7970 for tax programs

#29 Posted by lostrib (34509 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@xhawk27 said:

@papatrop said:

It was quite magical.

I bought my 7970 for tax programs

it puts the Quick in Quicken

#30 Posted by Couth_ (10015 posts) -

You should replace the "People" and "They"s in your OP with "i".. and then put this in your bloggggg

#31 Edited by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

The only reason to own a console is for exclusive content. Playing multiplats on a console is like walking backwards all day - stupid.

#32 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26347 posts) -

Besides seeting up a login account so can connect online and such which is 123. I always just pop in or if its digital pick it and play. The most im shown is stuff like updates and patches which should make the game function better if there was some sort of bug. Besides that yea I dont see the problem its stil put in and play.

#33 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

I'm not sure what planet you came from, but yes, you can play fighting games on a PC.

#34 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@Omega-316 said:

yes

i wanted to offer a fresh perspective on this, however the only perspective is 'yes'

#35 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

Apparently, someone hasn't played One Must Fall 2097........................

#36 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Omega-316 said:

yes

i wanted to offer a fresh perspective on this, however the only perspective is 'yes'

We're playing a fighting game in this thread right now. PC Gamers vs Console Gamers. EXCEPT THE CONSOLE GAMERS ARE USING A PC.

#37 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

The UI is terrible on the PS4. It's actually worse the PS3 UI. Same could be said for the XB1 UI too. It's easily worse then the best UI on a game console, which is the XBox 360. The price is fine. The specs could have been better. The value is still TBD at this point, since they don't have many quality exclusives out right now. 3rd party games are fine. Next year will be better for the PS4 and XB1.

#38 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@lostrib: yes

Do you ever get tired of making up bs?

Flagged.

#39 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@blackace: The UI is terrible on the PS4. It's actually worse the PS3 UI. Same could be said for the XB1 UI too. It's easily worse then the best UI on a game console, which is the XBox 360. The price is fine. The specs could have been better. The value is still TBD at this point, since they don't have many quality exclusives out right now. 3rd party games are fine. Next year will be better for the PS4 and XB1."

Nah. Ps4 UI is excellent. Smooth, slick, can get to anything quickly. PC and windows still touting the same shitty interface since 3.1

Until PC can break its decade long absence of any goty games, it's not even a viable option. Consoles continue to have the generation defining titles.

Get successful like myself, son, so you can ditch the PC beggar title and play the games worth playing.

#40 Posted by lostrib (34509 posts) -
#41 Posted by Omega-316 (783 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Omega-316 said:

yes

street fighter? tekken? you know, REAL fighting games? Games that takes skill? no. Consoles will never die because nobody wants to play fighting games and sport games on a computer.

And am I the only one who cant get into adventure games playing on PC? I mean playing on a small computer screen hunched over trying to get my pinky to press tab really kills it. Games like skyrim and destiny are meant for consoles. Playing on a big Tv in a comfortable chair/couch. That really helps you immerse your self into the game. Playing on computer seems very arcadey. But thats just me. Love total war tho. So thumbs up for RTS games but thats where it ends.

#42 Posted by wolverine4262 (19050 posts) -

@Omega-316:

I own Street Fighter on steam. I play it on a big TV. In a comfortable chair.

#43 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8765 posts) -

@lostrib: yes

Do you ever get tired of making up bs?

Flagged.

so here is a link to street fighter on steam.... http://store.steampowered.com/app/21660/

#44 Posted by lostrib (34509 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Omega-316 said:

yes

street fighter? tekken? you know, REAL fighting games? Games that takes skill? no. Consoles will never die because nobody wants to play fighting games and sport games on a computer.

And am I the only one who cant get into adventure games playing on PC? I mean playing on a small computer screen hunched over trying to get my pinky to press tab really kills it. Games like skyrim and destiny are meant for consoles. Playing on a big Tv in a comfortable chair/couch. That really helps you immerse your self into the game. Playing on computer seems very arcadey. But thats just me. Love total war tho. So thumbs up for RTS games but thats where it ends.

You mean street fighter games like this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/21660/ or http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/

#45 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5815 posts) -

I usually just hover over the game I want to play, and select it. The game immediately starts... I must have a defective console or something.

#46 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

Meanwhile console sale breaking records...

#47 Edited by Heirren (16546 posts) -

Console games have always been following what is done on the PC, so it makes sense than these types of things come up on the new consoles.

Really? How many genres truly emerged on the consoles vs the pc? I'd bet it isn't even close and favors consoles by far.

#48 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (670 posts) -

While I sit and wait until I can make a thread when I finally reach 500 posts.....there are threads like this from ppl who have been here for what seems a while.

It's palpable.

#49 Posted by BldgIrsh (1622 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@nutcrackr said:

Really? How many genres truly emerged on the consoles vs the pc? I'd bet it isn't even close and favors consoles by far.

Start listing them down then.

#50 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

Meanwhile console sale breaking records...

Yeah, previous console sales records...