Console Gaming - 2013 the beginning of the end ? ??

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

:cry: Well, that's what they seem to think, you agree ?

Me, I don't care as long as great gaming continues which I'm certain it will. :)

Thoughts ?

The Story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-11-trends-of-2013-the-last-console-generation

Trends of 2013: The last console generation

The old model doesn't seem to work any more. Time for a change.

What a wacky few years we've had in the games industry! Economic uncertainty and decrepit console hardware have led to widespread stagnation and weakening sales in core games, leaving upstarts in new categories like free-to-play and mobile to steal all the headlines. What a jolly good thing it is, then, that the next-generation consoles will soon be here to save the day! PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 are mere months away, and when they show up we can hit the reset switch and do away with all this scary change. The good old days are just around the corner!

Just kidding. All that stuff is well and truly dead and buried. Just look at the PlayStation 2, which ceased production in December. The 150-million PS2 empire was built on a cheap DVD player and exclusive games at the peak of their power, but neither of those scenarios is replicable in the modern day. There is no revolutionary new technology to ride like a Trojan Horse into people's living rooms, and buying up all the best third-party games would be prohibitively expensive, even for a company with a market cap like Microsoft's.

Even if it was possible to recreate the conditions the PS2 faced, the competition now is stronger than ever - particularly because it is a different kind of competition. Smartphones and tablets are building competitive game stores and becoming more powerful and more connected as well - not just to the internet, but to other devices, potentially including your TV. If your phone was powerful enough to run Call of Duty and talk to your TV, why would you need a console?

This sort of power will be inside your phone before you know it.

PCs are more viable as entertainment boxes and bridges to the television, too. Steam has brought the iTunes effect to a sector of gaming previously ruined by piracy, giving consumers an experience they like enough to spend lots of money on, and cheap PCs with standard specs that sit next to your TV aren't far behind. Indeed, of the next-generation gaming devices on the horizon, Valve's Steam Box is the one that sounds most interesting to me (screw motion control, give me biometrics!), not to mention viable, because it doesn't need to sell 50 or 100 million units to justify its existence.

Valve's attitude that anyone can partner with it to make a Steam Box isn't just one of its cute little Valve quirks, either - the fact that the Steam Box is just a way into the content, which anyone can offer, is a crucial signpost on the changing landscape of home entertainment. In a world where pretty much every box or device can do pretty much everything you care about, your hardware choice becomes much less important than your choice of login. If you run your digital life through a Microsoft Passport or an Apple ID, then you're much more likely to stay within that ecosystem. Ditto Steam.

That's a big challenge for Sony and Microsoft's new consoles. Over the long term, perhaps it will be better if the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live services simply become the PlayStation and Xbox services, with the hardware becoming more iterative and less symbolic, offering a way into those environments but not the only way. We're already seeing evidence of this with Microsoft's cross-platform games like Wordament, its Surface tablet push and the rumoured Kinect standalone console, while Sony's investment in Gaikai, Vita and the PlayStation Mobile system speak to a broader vision here too.

All of which makes the platform makers' current attitudes to console hardware look increasingly backward. Making a new console every six, eight or 10 years when rivals in related sectors are pumping out new phones, tablets and other boxes every six, eight or 10 months is leaving them lagging behind. Sure, that kind of product refreshment means splintered installed bases, but that's less important than it used to be. Games developed to thrive on iPad 2 specs are still just as much fun on an iPad 4, and consumers are showing they're happy with that. Meanwhile, the addressable minority of people who do own the fastest hardware get sumptuous niche products like Infinity Blade.

Choosing a console is now less important than choosing a preferred login.

Maybe Sony and Microsoft should jump on that bandwagon and go further than regular form factor changes in future, updating the actual power of the PS4 or Xbox 720 annually rather than just the exterior appearance, the margin on the cost of the screws inside and the HDD capacity. It might help. We may harrumpf and start petitions and turn the Twittersphere purple in response, but if our collective history of complaining about things and then buying them in monstrous numbers anyway is anything to go by, then Kaz Hirai and Steve Ballmer can still sleep easy.

There is still a third way, of course, which is the possibility that Sony and Microsoft can differentiate their new platforms in dramatic and exciting ways that are unavailable through any other device. Everything else I've said assumes that they recognise the increased commoditisation of what they do and the need to revise their businesses to accept that they are no longer unique and special snowflakes, but if they can summon a silver bullet the same way that Nintendo managed to conjure up Brain Training or Wii Sports during its purple patch in the mid-2000s, then that would be a game-changer. The signs aren't good though. Judging by the PS Vita and Wii U, even the best minds are drawing blanks here.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last console generation that fits the concept as we've come to know it these past 30 years - a single box with proprietary software that lives for a few years and is then replaced - and something new emerges to take over. Maybe the ramifications of that will seem scary on the surface - change often does - but the good news is that in over a decade reporting on games I've never known so many talented, creative and inspirational people to be making them at once, and as long as they keep doing that then we can only benefit, whatever means by which we have to access their work in future.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

don't really care where I play my games anymore, so meh, if consoles are ending, it was fun while it lasted

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
This article comes up every single year, it wont happen
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

This article comes up every single year, it wont happenfueled-system
Hmm, not every year but I hear ya - you must admit though that tech is moving very fast these days and I'm not one that normally buys into this type of umm, prediction but I dunno these days, I think consoles as we've always known them is indeed coming to a close. We shall see.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I too think this gen coming will be the last, or at least the last in terms of how games are right now. Consoles are running themselves into the ground with the business practices being used and implemented. Things like DLCs and DRMs are only gonna get worse and worse. PC will fare a bit better because in the end people still need a PC at home for other things, not just gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

a case of "consoles as we know them" and it IS very likely, the time of the fixed hardware box is ending, there is a reason why you hear the focus on service within the industry, it certainly is not for laughs they mull over it.

But I doubt that it will be the end of the console like experience, merely the much needed evolution.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I wouldn't say 2013 is the beginning of the end. I'd give that subtitle to 2007-2008ish after the iPhone debuted.

Ever since console industry revenue has been in decline. Subsequently the smartphone/tablet industries exploded, and oddly enough PC gaming revenue has seen record growth since around that time period as well.

Now I'm not saying the console industry will die off. It doesn't matter how big, or small a market is; some developers just want to make certain titles because it's what they have a passion to do, and there will no doubt be developers who will want to develop for consoles even if the consoles only sell 10-20 million units.

We're just seeing a shift away from the traditional console market. At the beginning of this gen there was essentially one way to get games. You bought a console or PC, and you bought a $50-$60 game at retail. No matter if you were the most casual gamer of all this was how you had to go about getting games. Now the industry has tons of markets such as cheap downloadables, social games, freeware, free 2 play, big box retail, tablet/smartphone gaming, subscriptions, streaming, etc, and they are much more specialized to meet the needs of target groups of gamers.

The console makers can prevent the mass exodus away from their products though. They just have to be much more open to allowing all forms of software distribution, though it might be too late given how much other gaming platforms took over in such a short period of time.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

Not really look at Cod the most profitable gaming franchise guess where the majority of its sales comes from?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

There is a bigger chance of the end of the traditional "home computer" than there is of the chance consoles will go away.

Sorry.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Consumers will have more options than ever to game in 2013 and beyond... so we all win

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

tumblr_m888sqCn7R1rbk1uqo1_250.gif

Good article, and if you have been following tech trends lately you can definitely see the truth in it. Gaming is no longer about individual devices, but rather ecosystems. Steam is an ecosystem, so is iTunes, so is Google, etc. The idea of having game console where you have to program games for it from the ground up and they won't play on any other piece of hardware is so outdated that I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has.

The new age of gaming will be one where core games are purchased and / or activated through services like Steam, and casual games will be played through platforms like iOS and Android. The console business model is already a bit of a dinosaur, and that is going to become far more visible once Valve launches Steam Box and Apple launches a new Apple TV that plays cheap ass iOS games on your TV.

The game industry is becoming a lot less dangerous for newcomers in the market, too. If you make a product like the Razer Edge or the Wikipad, it's not a matter of "oh gosh, I sure hope this new system sells well, or we'll get no software support and then we're finished!" The software support is already there in full force through pre-existing ecosystems, and all you have to do is make hardware that will run it well. This is a much healthier business model for the industry because it will encourage more innovation both in software AND hardware, while healthy competition lets consumers pick the product that's right for their preferences.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StormyJoe

tumblr_m888sqCn7R1rbk1uqo1_250.gif

Good article, and if you have been following tech trends lately you can definitely see the truth in it. Gaming is no longer about individual devices, but rather ecosystems. Steam is an ecosystem, so is iTunes, so is Google, etc. The idea of having game console where you have to program games for it from the ground up and they won't play on any other piece of hardware is so outdated that I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has.

The new age of gaming will be one where core games are purchased and / or activated through services like Steam, and casual games will be played through platforms like iOS and Android. The console business model is already a bit of a dinosaur, and that is going to become far more visible once Valve launches Steam Box and Apple launches a new Apple TV that plays cheap ass iOS games on your TV.

The game industry is becoming a lot less dangerous for newcomers in the market, too. If you make a product like the Razer Edge or the Wikipad, it's not a matter of "oh gosh, I sure hope this new system sells well, or we'll get no software support and then we're finished!" The software support is already there in full force through pre-existing ecosystems, and all you have to do is make hardware that will run it well. This is a much healthier business model for the industry because it will encourage more innovation both in software AND hardware, while healthy competition lets consumers pick the product that's right for their preferences.

Timstuff

Where have I heard this before... Hmmm... Oh yeah, it was the promise Java made 15 years ago. No platform-dependent developement. Change the world, they said. Yeah, that didn't happen.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Not really look at Cod the most profitable gaming franchise guess where the majority of its sales comes from?

Chrome-
This. People act like smartphone gaming is taking over consoles and pc. As if people are dropping big screen, properly controlled games to play Angry Birds on a tiny screen. In 2011 BF 3 sold better than any previous Battlefield and Halo 4 outsold all of its predecessors in 2012.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

There is a bigger chance of the end of the traditional "home computer" than there is of the chance consoles will go away.

Sorry.

StormyJoe

LOL!

Yeah sure... how many consoles out there in the wild? A little over 100 million? Maybe 150 Million, maybe even a little mroe than that?

Now, how many desktop PC's in the wild? Oh, right, SEVERAL BILLION.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Sorry.

Kinthalis

LOL!

Yeah sure... how many consoles out there in the wild? A little over 100 million? Maybe 150 Million, maybe even a little mroe than that?

The desktop will never die. The laptop on the other hand, might.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Sorry.

clyde46

LOL!

Yep, although not for a while, but tablets are definitely encroaching on them with things like keybaord stands and blue tooth support.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Things are changing fast. No telling how the cards will fall over the next few years. Consumers are being a lot more cautious than in the past, all things considered. Can't really blame them either.

new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

i skipped the ps3 and 720...maybe will buy the new consoles:)

or to wait to ps5 and xbox 5..they will surly bring photo realistic graphics in games like GTA 0:

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Sorry.

Kinthalis

LOL!

And? Why would you want a paradigm where you have to sit at a desk somewhere off to a corner of your house to do your stuff? You ever see a PC in SciFi movies or TV? Even the ones based in the near-future? No, you don't, There are tablets, wearable computers, smart devices, etc. But there aren't any PCs.

The concept of a home computer - a central system that sits on a desk - is outdated. It should be regulated to us IT folks and let consumers use smart devices.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Sorry.

clyde46

LOL!

Yes it will.

You sound like a PC-DOS user or a COBOL programmer.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StormyJoe

Again, I am not the only one saying this...

http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/02/16/are-the-computers-days-numbered/

http://www.thetechherald.com/articles/IBM-claims-days-are-numbered-for-PC-systems

http://www.newser.com/story/109284/days-are-numbered-for-laptops-pcs.html

http://www.skuggen.com/2010/06/steve-jobs-the-pcs-days-are-numbered/

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clyde46

http://www.thetechherald.com/articles/IBM-claims-days-are-numbered-for-PC-systems

StormyJoe
So, nothing recent then?
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
This thread is scary :o
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

LOL!

StormyJoe

Yes it will.

You sound like a PC-DOS user or a COBOL programmer.

Desktop wont die until graphics stop improving.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

Sorry.

clyde46

LOL!

Laptops already are and will be replaced with tablets. Once they get stronger and cheaper that is. Many if not all tablets now can hook up keyboards to them and everything already

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

clyde46

So, nothing recent then?

HA HA HA! Yes, things like this get talked about on a daily occurrence because of course, tablets, smartphones, smart devices have fallen out of the market and made companies like IBM reevaluate their position...

Google "PC days are numbered" and browse to your hearts content.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i still think we should take smartphone gaming as nothing really...it should be its own category separate from gaming on consoles and pc's

with that said...i think we still have one more gen before gaming ends lol

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Timstuff

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

StormyJoe

So, nothing recent then?

HA HA HA! Yes, things like this get talked about on a daily occurrence because of course, tablets, smartphones, smart devices have fallen out of the market and made companies like IBM reevaluate their position...

That reminds me of Nvidia has been whining about how cloud gaming is the future because they are getting spanked by AMD, and now they're investing heavily in cloud gaming server tech. IBM lost the PC race so now they are trying to hype up the death of PCs.

PCs are going no-where. There will always be geeks like us who want to have the latest CPU and the latest graphics card, so companies like Intel, AMD and Nvidia will keep making them. I can tell you for sure there's no way in sam's green hills that I would want to render a Maya project on a tablet or a smart phone. It would kill the battery and possibly fry the wee little processor in there, in addition to magnifying the render time by an amount I don't even want to consider.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] So, nothing recent then?Timstuff

That reminds me of Nvidia has been whining about how cloud gaming is the future because they are getting spanked by AMD, and now they're investing heavily in cloud gaming server tech. IBM lost the PC race so now they are trying to hype up the death of PCs.

PCs are going no-where. There will always be geeks like us who want to have the latest CPU and the latest graphics card, so companies like Intel, AMD and Nvidia will keep making them. I can tell you for sure there's no way in sam's green hills that I would want to render a Maya project on a tablet or a smart phone. It would kill the battery and possibly fry the wee little processor in there, in addition to magnifying the render time by an amount I don't even want to consider.

Tablets just don't offer the level of multitasking that PC's provide.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

clyde46

It will improve with tablets like the Razer Edge that use Intel Core processors, however the idea anyone would want to use a thin little tablet as a workstation as opposed to an overclocked liquid-cooled beast is no less absurd.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Rockstar begs to differ.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]That reminds me of Nvidia has been whining about how cloud gaming is the future because they are getting spanked by AMD, and now they're investing heavily in cloud gaming server tech. IBM lost the PC race so now they are trying to hype up the death of PCs.

Timstuff

It will improve with tablets like the Razer Edge that use Intel Core processors, however the idea anyone would want to use a thin little tablet as a workstation as opposed to an overclocked liquid-cooled beast is no less absurd.

I believe that tablets will find a place in between the PC and maybe the high end laptop.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
As long as devs keep developing and gamer keep buy, consoles will be fine. If anything, the lack of competition is the worst thing that would happen.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]As long as devs keep developing and gamer keep buy, consoles will be fine. If anything, the lack of competition is the worst thing that would happen.

But the video game crash of the 80's shows that too many devices is a bad thing.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

And? Why would you want a paradigm where you have to sit at a desk somewhere off to a corner of your house to do your stuff? You ever see a PC in SciFi movies or TV? Even the ones based in the near-future? No, you don't, There are tablets, wearable computers, smart devices, etc. But there aren't any PCs.

The concept of a home computer - a central system that sits on a desk - is outdated. It should be regulated to us IT folks and let consumers use smart devices.

StormyJoe

You don't see people programming or playing games in scifi movies either you moron.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#36 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Nintendo will not stop making Consoles PERIOD. Sony and Microsoft might have new ways to play "their" games in 2020.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="rjdofu"]As long as devs keep developing and gamer keep buy, consoles will be fine. If anything, the lack of competition is the worst thing that would happen.

But the video game crash of the 80's shows that too many devices is a bad thing.

Yes, but I think things maybe different now. The NA crash from 80's was caused due to massive amount of devices, 10 or so i think (each has its own library), all targeted the same audience. Besides exclusives (which just takes a small number), most games these days are multiplats; and most devices have their own target audience and purpose. That was quite different from the 80's. I doubt the appearance of other few devices (steambox, Ouya lol, etc), will shake the market that much.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts
that's crazy talk, even if I were concede on console gaming dying this generation it'd still struggle for a few years before everyone throws in the towel
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Timstuff

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="rjdofu"]As long as devs keep developing and gamer keep buy, consoles will be fine. If anything, the lack of competition is the worst thing that would happen.rjdofu

Yes, but I think things maybe different now. The NA crash from 80's was caused due to massive amount of devices, 10 or so i think (each has its own library), all targeted the same audience. Besides exclusives (which just takes a small number), most games these days are multiplats; and most devices have their own target audience and purpose. That was quite different from the 80's. I doubt the appearance of other few devices (steambox, Ouya lol, etc), will shake the market that much.

So we essentially have a bunch of consoles that do the same thing, except that they are all incompatible with each other. How is this good for the future of the console format?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Gee, an article I have NEVER seen done before...*rolls*

FGMPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FGMPR
Member since 2009 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

LOL!

seanmcloughlin

Laptops already are and will be replaced with tablets. Once they get stronger and cheaper that is. Many if not all tablets now can hook up keyboards to them and everything already

I'm sure tablets will continue to eat into desktop PC/laptop sales (outside of gaming PC's, which will continue to exist as its own thing), but there will always be a demand for ultrabook/laptop formfactor combined with a mouse and keyboard input. Touchscreens simply aren't capable of reproducing the the effect a keyboard and mouse has on productivity software. No one is going to be 3D modelling, programming code etc on a touch screen device. It simply isn't efficient. What we are seeing is a negative curve of laptop sales as tablets replace many of the features of a laptop, and for most people at home who are using these to browse the web, skype, email, casual gaming etc. that's all they need.

Once these former laptop customers are 'flushed out of the system' for a lack of a better term, then we will see laptop sales stabilize and they will take their place as a somewhat niche PC form factor for those who need productivity efficiency on the go. There won't be too much of a market left, but there will still be one, in my opinion.

Also, keyboards and even mice may be able to turn a tablet into a mid-level productive device, but certain people will always need more power on the go that a tablet won't be able to offer. Laptops will always be bulkier, and therefore able to keep ahead in regards to specifications.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Nope. Tablet is killing the old PC, and console is still the primary choice for living room. 2013 is the decline of PC gaming as Valve is shifting focus onto console.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'll wait one or 2 years before i buy the next gen of consoles.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#44 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think console will be more dynamic and different in the future being able to do more than they are now. Just look at this gen, you can watch stuff over the internet from your console, or watch dvd's from them. I think we have a lot of good stuff in the future, but dismissing consoles entirely is just not the case
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice

i think console will be more dynamic and different in the future being able to do more than they are now. Just look at this gen, you can watch stuff over the internet from your console, or watch dvd's from them. I think we have a lot of good stuff in the future, but dismissing consoles entirely is just not the caseThe_Last_Ride
This is some of what I meant since I didn't mean to imply console gaming will end but rather that the stand alone console will sorta end as we've always known it.

Lets say I can foresee a time in the not too distant future, after this next gen, where instead of what we have now with Xbox /PS where gaming is the primary use, and we move to a true, set-top-box where in home gaming is seen as only just one component of an overall electronic entertainment extravaganza that moves everywhere with you via mobile devices and gasp, a slew of all encompassing gaming becomes much cheaper, perhaps on the level of broadcast TV :o piratically free. :shock: Could be like tuning in you favorite TV station but instead, it's your favorite games station and the profits will come from many of the other uses plus adverts too of course. :P

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] So, nothing recent then?Timstuff

If you look at my prevous posts, I never said PCs would go away entirely. I said that the "home PC" would go away.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

N30F3N1X

You don't see people programming or playing games in scifi movies either you moron.

\

Actually, you do. Star Trek and Star Wars movies had video games in them.

Watch who you call moron.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

This is the end

link

File:Moment of silence.jpg

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Nope. Tablet is killing the old PC, and console is still the primary choice for living room. 2013 is the decline of PC gaming as Valve is shifting focus onto console.

Mr_BillGates

LOL. Can you make a Power Point presentation on your console ?