Console gamers are destroying the environment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#51 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
What, and PC hardware doesn't consume resources?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

but not everyone throws away consoles and games after they are done.....so i don't get it

BPoole96

Resources such as oil are used to make all the plastic for the cases/discs. Distributing them digitally requires no natural resources at all.

I wasn't aware that data centers require neither electricity nor air conditioning. :roll:
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Does nobody understand that this isn't all about recycling, and the inital resources used to create physical copies is just was detrimental to the environment as not recycling them?

Future_Unknown

While we're add let's stop manufacturing microchips since plasitc is so detrimental to the environment.

No we actually need those and there is no digital alternative. With physical games, there is literally no difference between a digital copy and a physical one when it coems to the actual game. One uses tons of resources and one uses zero.

And why do people even care about box arts anymore when this is how most of them look:

ngbbs4bb8ecf3b34ad.jpgThe_Witcher_2_Xbox_360_Release_Date_1327images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLdKZieGzfH8T6ZRXAQ1T

Untitled-2.jpgbi360-300x425.jpgmasseffect3_box.jpg

Hyper generic protagonists walking towards the front of the screen holding a weapon. What a waste of ink.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

but not everyone throws away consoles and games after they are done.....so i don't get it

lowe0

Resources such as oil are used to make all the plastic for the cases/discs. Distributing them digitally requires no natural resources at all.

I wasn't aware that data centers require neither electricity nor air conditioning. :roll:

Someone should do an analysis of the energy/resources/environmental impact/cost of DD vs retail copies. (someone probably has, I just don't feel like searching)

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

They will keep pumping the oil out the earth till its all gone and there is nothing anyone can or will do about it. As long as the oil wells are turned on we may as well all quit complaining about the environmental issues associated with it. Video games are one of the best uses for it IMO, much more prefereable to tanks and bombs and all the much more environmentally disasterous applications its used for. Quit whining, boot up your favourite game, and go have some fun.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

lowe0

Electricity is required for business and air conditioning helps improve working conditions. There is no drawback of having digital games instead of physical.

And don't forget that electricity and air conditioning is used is the factories where games are manufactured as well.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Future_Unknown"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Does nobody understand that this isn't all about recycling, and the inital resources used to create physical copies is just was detrimental to the environment as not recycling them?

BPoole96

While we're add let's stop manufacturing microchips since plasitc is so detrimental to the environment.

No we actually need those and there is no digital alternative. With physical games, there is literally no difference between a digital copy and a physical one when it coems to the actual game. One uses tons of resources and one uses zero.

And why do people even care about box arts anymore when this is how most of them look:

ngbbs4bb8ecf3b34ad.jpgThe_Witcher_2_Xbox_360_Release_Date_1327images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLdKZieGzfH8T6ZRXAQ1T

Untitled-2.jpgbi360-300x425.jpgmasseffect3_box.jpg

Hyper generic protagonists walking towards the front of the screen holding a weapon. What a waste of ink.

Because cool guys dont look at explosions

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Electricity is required for business and air conditioning helps improve working conditions. There is no drawback of having digital games instead of physical.

Ummm... have you ever been inside a data center? The air conditioning isn't there for your comfort; it's there to keep the servers operational.
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

I am an Environmental Scientist... none of the information is exactly true. It's supposition that doesn't apply in real world application... like most graphs about supply allocation.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I wasn't aware that data centers require neither electricity nor air conditioning. :roll:lowe0

Ummm... have you ever been inside a data center? The air conditioning isn't there for your comfort; it's there to keep the servers operational.

Doesn't matter, if you really want to get down to it, think of all the gas/oil used to transport the games to all the middleman distributors across the world. I highly doubt airconditioning in a data center is doing more damage than all of the resources and pollution that comes from physical copies.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

MS and Sony better have the option to go full digital next gen, I don't want anymore stupid boxes.

It's really one of the only things PC gamers can really feel superior about if you ask me, going full digital.

deangallop

You all do realise if it all goes digital that your'll never own your own game and you basicly are renting it off them so lets keep the discs and plastic case so when I actually buy something it is mine

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lowe0

BPoole96

Doesn't matter, if you really want to get down to it, think of all the gas/oil used to transport the games to all the middleman distributors across the world. I highly doubt airconditioning in a data center is doing more damage than all of the resources and pollution that comes from physical copies.

Except that I didn't claim physical distribution doesn't consume resources. You, on the other hand, claimed exactly that about digital distribution.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Low3 getting beat as usual

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Ummm... have you ever been inside a data center? The air conditioning isn't there for your comfort; it's there to keep the servers operational.lowe0

Except that I didn't claim physical distribution doesn't consume resources. You, on the other hand, claimed exactly that about digital distribution.

Okay lowe0, I will go and edit my posts and specifically state that digital requires LESS resources because of air conditioning in data centers. Is that better?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lowe0

BPoole96

Okay lowe0, I will go and edit my posts and specifically state that digital requires LESS resources because of air conditioning in data centers. Is that better?

It's not a question of whether its better; it's a question of whether it's correct or incorrect.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Interesting break down. I dont plan on getting rid of my consoles, but if I do, I'll try to sell them instead of taking the 360 to the shooting range for target practice,
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Except that I didn't claim physical distribution doesn't consume resources. You, on the other hand, claimed exactly that about digital distribution.lowe0

It's not a question of whether its better; it's a question of whether it's correct or incorrect.

Mhmm, excuse me, is it more correct now? My initial claim is that digital distribution is less detrimental to the environment than physical distribution is. Can I go write my dissertation now, professor?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lowe0

BPoole96

Mhmm, excuse me, is it more correct now? My initial claim is that digital distribution is less detrimental to the environment than physical distribution is. Can I go write my dissertation now, professor?

Instead of complaining about being called out, next time, just don't say anything provably false. Problem solved.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jankarcop

BPoole96

Stop biting his bait he'll stop.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] It's not a question of whether its better; it's a question of whether it's correct or incorrect.lowe0

Instead of complaining about being called out, next time, just don't say anything provably false. Problem solved.

Okay, officer. Won't happen again.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]Digital Distribution you moron.

RR360DD

first of don't be a jerk

second digital is no where near 100% of the market

thirdly i was talking about how much hardware ends up in the trash.

I'd imagine quite a lot with all the herms on this forum trying to justify their cheap $600 custom build gaming PCs against consoles. Those cheap ass parts would last a year before being trashed

other then the fanboyism i do agree. i had some pc parts die on me on a cheap rig i got.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

first of don't be a jerk

second digital is no where near 100% of the market

thirdly i was talking about how much hardware ends up in the trash.

osirisx3

I'd imagine quite a lot with all the herms on this forum trying to justify their cheap $600 custom build gaming PCs against consoles. Those cheap ass parts would last a year before being trashed

other then the fanboyism i do agree. i had some pc parts die on me on a cheap rig i got.

6 Year Old CPU still working and not a single crash (serious)
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#73 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Forget polution, I want to see people brag about their sex life on a video game forum some more.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

This will change for consoles soon, as games are becoming digital.

Sony is selling PS3 equipped with 500GB hard drive which is huge for a retail model. Increase the price a bit, you'd get 1TB. Digital distribution is definitely the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and Xbox 720 are equipped with 1TB+ hard drive, as those are likely to convince people to download games instead of buying the disc version. Digital-only is possible, but I doubt it for next-gen consoles. I'm pretty sure that next-gen consoles are the last ones to get disc version of games.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jankarcop

Forget polution, I want to see people brag about their sex life on a video game forum some more.

Lionheart08

Why is it you don't notice them insult first? Bragging =/= defending yourself.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BPoole96

Lionheart08

I had sex with my girlfriend for the 500th time last week. That was pretty exciting.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#77 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Jankarcop

Because using hyperbole to "defend" your sex life is hilarious.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I'm sure there's more computers out there.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BPoole96

This will change for consoles soon, as games are becoming digital.

Sony is selling PS3 equipped with 500GB hard drive which is huge for a retail model. Increase the price a bit, you'd get 1TB. Digital distribution is definitely the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and Xbox 720 are equipped with 1TB+ hard drive, as those are likely to convince people to download games instead of buying the disc version. Digital-only is possible, but I doubt it for next-gen consoles. I'm pretty sure that next-gen consoles are the last ones to get disc version of games.

GamerwillzPS

I think Sony/MS will make a strong push for DD next gen since it would address several of their gripes from this gen. Not only do they not have to pay retails like GameStop and Best Buy for selling their games, but they also save production/manufacturing costs since no physical copies are made. Also, they don't have to worry about used games. You can't trade in a digital game, so that would put a dent in the used game sales complaint that they have.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

faizan_faizan

cool story bro

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

osirisx3

cool story bro

RROD
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Yet, boxed products of PC games still exist. BPoole, do you own a car?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]Sorry having using condomn while I plow chicks that you can only dream of talking to.

Jankarcop

In my nightmares

Only i'm telling the truth, and you're lying on the internet while being depressed IRL :wink:

You seem pretty insecure about yourself
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 BPoole96

DrTrafalgarLaw

Certainly do. I need it to get to work and school.

Do you need physical copies of games?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

Because using hyperbole to "defend" your sex life is hilarious.

And if its not a hyperbole? Good looking girls aren't exactly "not willing".

They can use hyperbole to insult, but I can't use facts to defend? Give me a brak:roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I still have my PSone, Ps2, Ps3, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PSP.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

BPoole96

Certainly do. I need it to get to work and school.

Do you need physical copies of games?

For collecting purposes, yes. Just to play the damn game...no.

But even then about 60% of my games are digital. Could you go to school or work with public transportation...or even by bicycle or by walking?

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 faizan_faizan

osirisx3

cool story bro

YOU JELLY? Still better than consoles.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] 6 Year Old CPU still working and not a single crash (serious)faizan_faizan

cool story bro

8 year old PS2 still working
13 year old PS1 still kicking it

You jelly? :cool:

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Also, thank you hermits for not contributing to the population growth by not mating.

BPoole96

Kids are awful anyway and would interfere with my gaming. No thanks

POTD

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts
y

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Also, thank you hermits for not contributing to the population growth by not mating.

Jankarcop

Sorry having using condomn while I plow chicks that you can only dream of talking to.

sure... :roll: after that,you jump into your pinto and go to the comic book store..
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DrTrafalgarLaw
y[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

jessejay420

Sorry having using condomn while I plow chicks that you can only dream of talking to.

sure... :roll: after that,you jump into your pinto and go to the comic book store..

Manga store, dont you dare it to call them comics. :x
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jankarcop

y[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

jessejay420

I can tell you're a jelous virgin, since you got so defensive when I said I merely have sex with girls

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 faizan_faizan

cool story bro

DrTrafalgarLaw

8 year old PS2 still working
13 year old PS1 still kicking it

You jelly? :cool:

Emulators Emulators You jelly? :cool:
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Ok treehugger.

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts
[QUOTE="jessejay420"]y[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]Sorry having using condomn while I plow chicks that you can only dream of talking to.DrTrafalgarLaw

Manga store, dont you dare it to call them comics. :x

haha! :lol:
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
I keep my systems.Blabadon
If I don't keep them, there is a place near me to recycle computers/electronics.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="jessejay420"]y[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]Sorry having using condomn while I plow chicks that you can only dream of talking to.

Jankarcop

I can tell you're a jelous virgin, since you got so defensive when I said I merely have sex with girls

Haha you just ask for it don't you.