Confused? Is sony charging for online now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

With the Ps4,is there a online fee now?

#2 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5589 posts) -

***SPOILERS***

Maybe.

#3 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Yes.

Free-to-play games are exceptions.

#4 Edited by SolidTy (43724 posts) -

It was announced a long, long time ago but the answer is yes.

As an Xbox Live Subscriber since it started, there are some differences:

1. You don't need to pay for PS+ to use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, play MMOs, or other apps. No paywall to access those features.
  2. You get PS4 games free with PS+ like PS3 and Vita. So far games like Resogun, Contrast, Don't Starve, and Outlast come to mind.
  3. It's $50 a year instead of $60 a year.

I only placed these in since you weren't aware for some reason about PS+ requirement to online game on PS4. PS3 and Vita are still free however.

#5 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

thanks^^ How much is it a year,and how good is the chat/connections?

#6 Edited by finalstar2007 (25276 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Its $49.99 for a whole year and sometimes they make a deal where you pay $49.99 and get 15 months so if your interested always keep an eye on the official Playstation blog.

Note PS+ is $10 cheaper than XBLA and is a far better value than XBL as you get a lot of advantages for being a PS+ member from getting tons of games at no extra charge to online storage to discounts to so much more as someone else mentioned PS+ wont be required to use a lot of other apps and free to play games.

For $50 its worth it especially if you own a Vita, PS3 and PS4 because that $50 will cover all PlayStation systems.

#7 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2502 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

For example, there is no video chat in PSN while Xbox One has.

PSN has all P2P while Xbox One has dedicated server(means lower ping, better connection).

#8 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2502 posts) -

Xbox One:

All players has mics(and clear voice), PSN does not have. You have to pay extra to have it and quality is not that good.

Both PSN and Xbox Live has free and tons of games at extra charge. BOTH HAS, NOT ONLY PSN

Xbox Live has a better interface

Xbox has 1080p video chat, PSN does not have anything. You have to pay even more 60 dollar extra for PS camera which is 720p but you can´t still video chat with people.

Xbox Live has dedicated servers, this means all games has better connection and ping while PSN does not have it.

Xbox has matchmaking which PSN does not have it. You can also have "Good" or "Bad" rep. This helps you to play against better players. More balanced.

Watch HD streaming movies and TV, live events, music, and sports. - PSN does not have any of that.

Work out smarter with famous trainers - PSN does not have it

Game DVR and Upload is also better, you can edit, add more colors and make a movie while PSN just have a clip. and thats it.

#9 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

Yes, but PS+ is still the best gaming value even without the internet. It pays for itself the first month.

#11 Posted by MeganFocks (161 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

No, it's a lie that lemmings made up because they just cant catch a break anymore and I'm loving that but now they keep making up stuff about PS4 just because their console is on life support.

#12 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

If you like being milked than XBL is your best bet.

#13 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23860 posts) -

if you need to buy it you should look around for a deal.

a 12 month xbl card was $40 last week at best buy and i would guess ps+ will go on sale too.

#14 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

I have a better question. Have you been sleeping under a rock?

#15 Posted by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One:

All players has mics(and clear voice), PSN does not have. You have to pay extra to have it and quality is not that good.

PSN users have mic's and it's quite clear, alot of people just choose not to talk because most are grown up and not young kids shouting down the mic. What do i need to pay extra :S a better setup of mic and headphones like most Xbox users do as well anyway, you make no sense with this claim

Both PSN and Xbox Live has free and tons of games at extra charge. BOTH HAS, NOT ONLY PSN

NO Wrong PSN Offers free 2 play games which are completely FREE without subscription. Xbox Live does not you need GOLD to access online games. PS+ OFFERS FREE GAMES FOR PS3, PS4, PS VITA, XBOX LIVE GOLD OFFER XBOX 360 2 FREE GAMES A MONTH.

PSN is Clear and straight to the point, thats personal preference

Xbox has 1080p video chat, PSN does not have anything. You have to pay even more 60 dollar extra for PS camera which is 720p but you can´t still video chat with people.

:S Microsoft owns Skype so Sony has no control over that, and for Sony this is not a priority and Video Chat will be available in the future but lets get it right tho PS4 allows Twitch and UStream Live Streaming from the get go,

Xbox Live has dedicated servers, this means all games has better connection and ping while PSN does not have it.

Both Systems are experiencing lag this is due to peoples own internet speeds, all big companies have their own servers anyway. From Personal experience I've had no lag what so ever on PS4.

Xbox has matchmaking which PSN does not have it. You can also have "Good" or "Bad" rep. This helps you to play against better players. More balanced.

Does anyone really care to much I go online i play I come off, I'm not bothered who I'm matched with I just have fun, and most games with their own servers do the matchmaking for you.

Watch HD streaming movies and TV, live events, music, and sports. - PSN does not have any of that.

PSN allows owners to watch Netflix, Ilovefilm, HBOgo, catch up TV for absolutely FREE, they also allow you to rent movie from their streaming service through the store for just the price of the movie and doesn't need PS+, Xbox users however have to PAY for Xbox Live GOLD to even reach any of the above streaming services, tv and sports stuff is only available if you have a cable box

clutching at straws here

Game DVR and Upload is also better, you can edit, add more colors and make a movie while PSN just have a clip. and thats it.

I'll admit that this is a great feature, but considering you can only record short busts and PS4 can record a whole 15minutes of footage is good, and i wouldn't be surprised if sony adds in a feature like this in a later date

#16 Posted by freedomfreak (40901 posts) -

No.

They would never do that.

#17 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

@meganfocks said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

No, it's a lie that lemmings made up because they just cant catch a break anymore and I'm loving that but now they keep making up stuff about PS4 just because their console is on life support.

Step 1: denial

#18 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7415 posts) -

I heard Sony is charging for online because the company it's self has scared investors after their stocks being reduced to junk. This online fee is just a band aid for the billions that Sony continues to lose.

#19 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

PSN has all P2P while Xbox One has dedicated server(means lower ping, better connection).

This guy is trolling, if you spend more than 5 minutes in SW you wouldnt have needed me to tell you this guy is King Troll.

#20 Edited by blackace (20885 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Yes.. for playing multiplayer games online. They don't have any paywall on applications however. So you don't need PS+ to play Netflix, Hulu, Twitch, Amazon or any other apps.

XBL does everything PSN/PS+ does. You get free games (which you can actually keep and not rent), you also get lots of special every month. There is currently 50-67% off of EA Games and Add-On happening on XBL right now. The free games are Toy Soldier: Cold War & Dead Island. XBL also has over 300K dedicated servers. They also have extra cloud storage if you want to put saved games there or music. The only downside to XBL is the paywall for the apps.

#21 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

disappointing that Im gonna have to pay for online if i buy a Ps4.

I remember cows saying that sony will never charge for online? (whats up with that cows?)

#22 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One:

all players on ps4 have Mics and can use any headset from last gen. Xbox One users have to either buy a new headset, use the shitty packed in one, or resort to Kinect.

Xbox Live gives 2 games total away for free a month and the price of both is pretty much always equal to less than $10 because MS never gives games that aren't completely ancient.

Xbone uses the shitty and much hated Windows 8 interface

You pay $100 more for the FORCED Xbox camera.

How many games have dedicated servers on Xbox Live right now? I think the only ones currently even using MS's own servers (which MANY countries included Australia don't even have access too) MIcrosoft's biggest IP, Halo has never even had servers until this point. There have been countless ps3 games with dedicated servers and you don't think even more will have them now that online has a pricetag for all but f2p games.

It's had that since 2005 with the 360 and it was never any good back then either.

Actually ps4 has quite a few services that stream media to the console like that. Netflix, Hulu, etc. You also don't need to pay a subscription to Sony to use these services.

Kinect garbage nobody cares about

On Xbone, you can only save 5 minutes of gameplay. At least on ps4, you have the time to record an entire match of a game or at least a round in most cases.

#23 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1362 posts) -

This is a troll thread. OP is a lem

#24 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

This is a troll thread. OP is a lem

OP has owned a ps1, Ps2,Ps3, 360,n64,genesis, snes, Gameboy,nes

How am I a lem?

#26 Posted by blackace (20885 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Xbox One:

Both systems come with head sets, but XB1 is obviously better. It also has a mice on Kinect, so it comes with 2 mics. PS4 comes with an ear bud. Their 2nd mic is on their camera which you have to pay extra for. Only good thing is you can use your older headset with the PS4.

There are free games on both systems. With PS+ you can rent them for PS4, PS3 and Vita as long as you keep your PS+ membership active. With XBL Gold, you get 2 games a month which are yours forever. Even if XBL goes away, you can play them offline. Both systems also has DL Free games. With PSN, you download them and can play without PSN/PS+. With XBL, you can down load them, but you must have Gold Membership to play them online.

The Xbox 360 UI is excellent with XBL, but XB1 UI sucks. PS3/PS4 UI are not great either. The 360's is the on interface that works quickly and is very easy to navigate. With the other UI, you literally have to search for things and go through layers of menus. Ridiculous.

Yes, XB1 has the advantage with Skype. So you can video chat with all your friends or family who have Skype on their PC's. PS4 doesn't have anything like it yet.

XB1 has 300K dedicated server. The only downside is developer have to chose to use them or not for their games. So far, only Titanfall & Forza 5 uses them for AI and performance improvements. Many of Microsoft's first party games will be using them in the future. PS4 has dedicated servers as well, but they aren't on par with Microsoft's cloud servers.

I thought matchmaking for being added for the PS4. It's obvious that XBL matchmaking feature is still superior at this point. We know they've enhanced it for XB1.

You can stream movies, TV, events, music and sports on PSN. Where have you been? They don't have the same apps like ESPN & Skype, but they have their own music service, as well as Netflix & Amazon. So you're wrong there.

I'm not sure what PSN has for fitness. XB1 does have a FREE Fitness application with Jillian Michaels, PX90's Tony Horton, Insanity's Shaun Thompson and one other trainer. The programs they have are pretty awesome, but not all of them are free. I've already used it. Some of them you have to but the application that tracks your progress is free for a whole year. I'll be using it a lot this month as I want to lose about 30lbs. There's also Zuma & Brazilian Butt programs on XB1 as well.

Haven't seen or tried this on either system, so I can't really comment on it.

#27 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -

#28 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1362 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77: its called bias. Do I have to tell you the same thing that blackace has been told for months

#29 Posted by Ghost120x (3909 posts) -

The one thing I don't like about ps4 right now is no one talks. Xbox live was so fun during the launch and playing gears was awesome. Talking was at its best when the console was too high for kids to get their hands on one.

It's quite boring playing bf4 on psn, I'm going to have to get a party going one day (tomorrow maybe)

I wanted an Xbox but I know ps4 will have more variety in the long run. Xbox won't get games like persona, guilty gear xrd, or one piece musou games.

#30 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Yes.

Despite how adamantly cows believed that online gaming should be free all last gen, sony knew their fan base would still bend over for them if they charged.

#31 Edited by blackace (20885 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Mkavanaugh77: its called bias. Do I have to tell you the same thing that blackace has been told for months

You should know, you're one of the biased ones. lol!! I'm not biased. I play everything. You have people on hear kissing company's asses and they don't even own their system. lol!! How can you praise one system and bash another when you don't own either? lol!! That's how cows swing it on SW.

@Ghost120x Xbox had most of the Guilty Gear games on it, but you can play those games with the XBox 360 controller. The D-Pad isn't great for it. If you have a Fightpad or Fight Stick, then it was great.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XGuilty+Gear+Xbox&_nkw=Guilty+Gear+Xbox&_sacat=0&_from=R40

& BlazeBlue - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.XBlazBlue+Xbox&_nkw=BlazBlue+Xbox&_sacat=0&_from=R40

#32 Posted by foxhound_fox (88688 posts) -

Yes, and all the cows rolled over and accepted it faster than they hype a brand new Sony game. Despite having spent the good portion of the last decade ragging on Microsoft and it's fans for paying to play online.

#33 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3610 posts) -

Sadly, Sony has gone down that road. The cows don't care though, because it's okay if Sony does it.

#34 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Yes.

Despite how adamantly cows believed that online gaming should be free all last gen, sony knew their fan base would still bend over for them if they charged.

LMAO!

How does it feel to pay for online now?

sony****** you over this gen!

#35 Posted by lostrib (37592 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Sadly, Sony has gone down that road. The cows don't care though, because it's okay if Sony does it.

plus all those free games they get to rent

#36 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3610 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@princessgomez92 said:

plus all those free games they get to rent

Woo-hoo!

#37 Posted by RR360DD (11984 posts) -

Yes Sony did the unthinkable (in cows eyes) and started holding the online multiplayer of games hostage.

#38 Edited by SolidTy (43724 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

That's 100% False. The PS3 had video chat since 2006 launch. Vita and PS4 also have video chat...

Did you know there were more PSN PS3 games with dedicated servers last gen? The more you know. Point is you can't say PSN is P2P when it was both Dedicated and P2P, and it stands to reason the same mix will be applied to PS4 getting both dedicated and P2P.

Both your sentences were incorrect.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (17701 posts) -

Yes. A psn+ account is required to play games online mp portion. I called years ago, numerous times in the 1000s of "online mp should be free", "MS are bad for the industry", threads over the last 7 years. Live gives free games with gold, quality is rarely up to par with plus, but your getting them and can still play them if you go to a silver account. Once I don't pay Sony, I can't play any of my "free" games. As for apps behind the paywall, if Sony's finances don't drastically improve, they'll start doing the same to get more subscribers. But hats off to Sony, they realized the compelling reason for subscribing is mp, and god knows they need the money.

#40 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1362 posts) -

@blackace: Yes I'm biased because Sony makes my favorite consoles. I also own a 360 and plan to get an x1 in the future and yes, i have played one. Do you understand now? Playing everything does not = unbiased.

#41 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29379 posts) -

Yes, unfortunately. All the more reason to use PC for MP.

#42 Edited by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Welcome to June 2013.

#43 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

not everyone enjoys pcgaming.

i grew upplaying n64snes etcnotapc.

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7321 posts) -

LOL, I have a friend who bought a PS4 for the free online. Needless to say, he was very disappointed. Sony is only charging for the PS4, though. Online play on the PS3 and Vita is still free.

#45 Edited by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Welcome to June 2013.

welcome to paying for online.

sony f***** you over

#46 Posted by lostrib (37592 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

not everyone enjoys pcgaming.

i grew upplaying n64snes etcnotapc.

So what?

#47 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3074 posts) -

You have 20,000+ posts. Obviously you're well aware of PSN's cost and if not, try Google.