Confirmed by Ubisoft: Rayman and Splinter Cell flop

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25727 posts) -

Gimme Gimme Games, GoNintendo

Semi-old news as I made a thread weeks ago that Rayman Legends' price dropped soon after it's release

Not a good sign for either series and Ubi has no one to blame, but themselves, especially over Rayman.

Most interesting about this is: Rayman is highest selling on Wii U, while Splinter Cell has it the worst on the same platform

#2 Edited by cainetao11 (15601 posts) -

Well, I don't even.......Blacklist is more in the running for MY PERSONAL GOTY than Bioshock Infinite. I thought it was genius.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (54094 posts) -

Both are GotY contenders. Shame on the general gaming market.

#4 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15897 posts) -

Unfortunately, people seem to shun 2D Platformers. Except on Nintendo platforms.

#5 Edited by glez13 (8486 posts) -

Both games pissed the fan base one way or another.

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (15601 posts) -

Little off topic, but I recently got a phone game, Rayman running or something. Awesome.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (54094 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Unfortunately, people seem to shun 2D Platformers. Except on Nintendo platforms.

Which is why Ubisoft should have kept it Wii U exclusive and released it on the platform back when it was suffering a terrible drought instead of pissing its biggest audience base off. It could have released the Xbox and PS3 versions later anyway.

Little off topic, but I recently got a phone game, Rayman running or something. Awesome.

Origins and Legends are the only Rayman games I have played :P Oh, and Rayman 2.

#8 Posted by Krelian-co (9788 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Which is why Ubisoft should have kept it Wii U exclusive and released it on the platform back when it was suffering a terrible drought instead of pissing its biggest audience base off. It could have released the Xbox and PS3 versions later anyway.

@cainetao11 said:

Origins and Legends are the only Rayman games I have played :P Oh, and Rayman 2.

biggest audience? i bet legends sold more on 360 or ps3 than on wii u.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (54094 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@cainetao11 said:

biggest audience? i bet legends sold more on 360 or ps3 than on wii u.

Read the OP. It didn't. It sold the most on Wii U.

#10 Posted by Basinboy (10900 posts) -

Rayman's problem isn't its content but its price. $60 for a platformer is a very tough sell in today's market for that type of game.

I intend on buying Rayman during a Steam sale for the exact reason I mentioned. It might be great, but not $60 great.

Blacklist just timed it wrong. Current-gen game releases in August while all the talk is about next-gen? Tough to market any game in that environment. Plus there's always GTA V to blame.

#11 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Well, I don't even.......Blacklist is more in the running for MY PERSONAL GOTY than Bioshock Infinite. I thought it was genius.

Wow man. If you liked Blacklist that much then I'm definitely keen to give it a shot.

#12 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6544 posts) -

My hype for Blacklist was next to nothing because I just wasn't very fond of the previous 2 Splinter Cell games. I still plan on getting it later, though. Maybe Ubisoft will go back to the Prince of Persia well now. That would be great.

#13 Posted by Ghost120x (3604 posts) -

Shame on the gaming population. I guess next gen will continue the trend of getting flooded by tons of COD and uncharted knock offs. Hooray!

#14 Edited by lundy86_4 (42549 posts) -

Blacklist was excellent. Haven't played Legends, but Origins was great, and had a ton of challenge.

#15 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Splinter Cell Blacklist, not really my kind of a stealth game, also, I wouldn't complain if the franchise was brought to an end, it ran its course.

But, sad to hear about Rayman, even though I'm not the biggest platformer fan, really enjoyed Origins. Will give Legends a shot when the price is a bit better.

------

Also, yay, 25th post!

No more 5 posts per day crap!

#16 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

Rayman's problem isn't its content but its price. $60 for a platformer is a very tough sell in today's market for that type of game.

I intend on buying Rayman during a Steam sale for the exact reason I mentioned. It might be great, but not $60 great.

Blacklist just timed it wrong. Current-gen game releases in August while all the talk is about next-gen? Tough to market any game in that environment. Plus there's always GTA V to blame.

It most definitely is worth 60 bucks, if only because of the huge amount of content. I don't know how much effort it took to create because i'm not a video game designer, but it's a quality game.

#17 Posted by n00bkid (4161 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

I loved Rayman on the vita. Shame it didn't do to well.

#18 Posted by blackace (19580 posts) -
#19 Posted by AdobeArtist (22721 posts) -

I finally had the chance to play Splinter Cell Black List, being on loan from a friend. I was a little apprehensive from all the trailers I saw, that gave the impression of the series really departingt from its stealth roots.

But now from first hand experience, I see the benefit in the flexibility for the player to take the play style options they want (Ghost, Panther, and Assault). So yeah I found I could still play the game as I enjoyed from the original trilogy, sneaking behind, looking for alternate routes to avoid detection, and seeking mission objectives like locating files and hacking enemy systems. And after Conviction I can't express how good it felt to once again hide incapacitated bodies and shooting out lights to provide cover of darkness, and it's oh so satisfying to complete a mission where you don't even touch the enemy guards and security patrols.

Also I've come to welcome to the non-linear mission structure with the mobile air base as a central hub. It does kind of remind me of Mass Effect, where aside from the main missions, you also get side missions from the 4th Echelon team members, providing the extra opportunities to earn cash for upgrades to your personal arsenal as well as the mobile base. The Grimm missions in particular really play like the old school SC, where non-detection is a priority (no option to switch to action when stealth fails) and even provides extra bonuses when the guards are undisturbed. Trying to find a way around without even needing to knock them down is sweetly challenging.

Also a nice small touch is having options to customize the color of the goggles and other lights of the suit. Not just green, you can choose from 2 shades of blue, red, topaz, and purple. I went with Ghost Blue right away (unlocked with u-play) that is a light shade, more along the lines of cyan. So yeah, for the Splinter Cell purists, this game does let you play just like "in the good old days". :)

I would rate this game almost as good as Chaos Theory, and certainly highly elevated from Double Agent and Conviction.

#20 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

There are too many high-quality platformers that cost under $20, or even $10, to make a $60 platformer viable unless the word "Nintendo" is on the box (granted it has nothing really to do with quality. Just brand awareness, and Nintendo's loyal fanbase).

As far as Splinter Cell is concerned, I'm sure many people were put off the series after Conviction, and just didn't bother caring about Blacklist. On top of that it came out only a few weeks before GTAV. All the college kids scraping up $60 for a new game put it towards GTAV instead.

#21 Edited by lundy86_4 (42549 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Nice summary. It really was an excellent comeback.

#22 Edited by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Splinter Cell Blacklist was something like £60 off the PS Store.. Put me right off it. Not sure what Ubisoft is smoking with that price.

#23 Posted by k2theswiss (16586 posts) -

the series for both of them don't appeal to me. Well splinter cell does to a degree but not a $60 price point.

#24 Edited by AznbkdX (3108 posts) -

I guess I'm part of the problem then. :(

I'm waiting for price cuts on both. I'm talking big ones, not just 50% off the full $60.

The only games I buy at full are games that never go down in price ie Nintendo, or if I REALLY want it.

#25 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Yes, yes it is awesome.

#26 Edited by freedomfreak (37992 posts) -

Blacklist was badass. I knew it was gonna do badly though.

Will be getting Legends one of these days.

#27 Edited by AznbkdX (3108 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Nice to here it's back to its roots, but with all the current gen niceties. :) Should be a fun romp when I get my hands on it.

#28 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25727 posts) -

@AznbkdX said:

I guess I'm part of the problem then. :(

I'm waiting for price cuts on both. I'm talking big ones, not just 50% off the full $60.

The only games I buy at full are games that never go down in price ie Nintendo, or if I REALLY want it.

RL is like $40 US now... on all consoles (Wii U, 360, PS3).

#29 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

RL is fantastic.

#30 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

I'm extremely happy Blacklist flopped. Developers need a reality check just like 343 are getting now that Halo 3 has overtaken Halo 4 on the live charts

#31 Posted by TheEroica (12961 posts) -

Sadly, while in will buy both of these games my backlog says "not right now".... :(

#32 Posted by nini200 (9322 posts) -

Should have kept Rayman Legends WiiU exclusive and released it in February when hardly any competition was out. It would have sold systems but since they delayed it til a time where competition was getting high, they shot themselves in the foot just like they are doing with Watch Dogs. Delaying it from a competitive time frame to release it in an extremely competitive time frame.

I mean I'm fine with Watch Dogs releasing later as it gives me more time with Assassin's Creed 4, Super Mario 3D World and Sonic: Lost Worlds and I'm getting Watch Dogs anyway but they are planning on releasing it in a very bad time frame now.

#33 Edited by madsnakehhh (13946 posts) -

Rayman Legends was actually a big deal when it was a WiiU Exclusive...granted it wouldn't have sold millions, but i'm willing to think that most people who bought a WiiU around that time, wanted something to play and Legends was the perfect game, however Ubisoft got greedy and they paid the price, i mean is not like they couldn't port the game to other platforms later on to get another boost in sales...now the game has tanked and maybe we won't ever get another Rayman game. Sad.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (46554 posts) -

That's a shame, Rayman Legends is a good game.

But this isn't surprising. They didn't sell that much when it came to Origins, and nothing about Legends dictated it would otherwise. If anything it's just proof that a game like that, at that price, in this kind of market isn't going to hit the targets Ubisoft would like them to hit. It is what it is.

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (22302 posts) -

that's okay, they got the annual milking of Assassin's Creed and I bet they'll do the same to Watch Dogs

#36 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25727 posts) -

that's okay, they got the annual milking of Assassin's Creed and I bet they'll do the same to Watch Dogs

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I fear Ubisoft is going to take the Nintendo/Capcom route with what franchise stays active and goes.

#37 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

first one bombed, why anyone expected anything more is beyond me.

#38 Edited by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

"Obviously if you’re going to point a finger at platforms of which Rayman didn’t sell well on you’d have to point in every direction except Nintendo’s."

Really? They wrote that? That doesn't even make sense. So a poor selling game sold better on one platform, big whoop.

And as if it was going to be some system seller on the WiiU if it remained exclusive. Give me a break, people need to get their heads out of their asses.

#39 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

splinter cell blacklist was the game that should never existed. real splinter cell are just first 3. than Double agent start declining and conviction screwed it up while its perfect way to end story. so no point of blacklist make any sense

#40 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

splinter cell blacklist was the game that should never existed. real splinter cell are just first 3. than Double agent start declining and conviction screwed it up while its perfect way to end story. so no point of blacklist make any sense

eloquently put my good man

#41 Edited by KungfuKitten (20633 posts) -

I played and like both games.

Both should have been focussed on Wii U and/or PC. Interesting games don't sell on Xbox/Playstation.

#42 Edited by cainetao11 (15601 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@cainetao11 said:

Rayman jungle run is the phone game I have.

#43 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

That fucking sucks. Assassin's Creed and all its shittyness will keep selling a lot while the good ubisoft games flop.

#44 Posted by B-apples (71 posts) -

Blacklist was excellent. Haven't played Legends, but Origins was great, and had a ton of challenge.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Conviction?.

#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (42549 posts) -

@b-apples said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Overall, pretty meh. Not the worst, as I enjoyed it. Still, for a Splinter Cell, it wasn't the best.

#46 Posted by B-apples (71 posts) -

@b-apples said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Overall, pretty meh. Not the worst, as I enjoyed it. Still, for a Splinter Cell, it wasn't the best.

So for a fan of the original SC games and as someone who hated Conviction, would you recommend Blacklist?.

#47 Edited by mems_1224 (45652 posts) -

Its funny that gamers whine and complain that they want a stealthy splinter cell game thats challenging and when one comes out they dont buy it. And then they wonder why they dumb down games to make them as accessible as possible.

#48 Posted by Netret0120 (1863 posts) -

Released at the worst possible time, High price, not that much content.

$60 is a lot of money to spend on a game and only the big AAA games warrant that kind of outlay (GTA 5) Gaming is expensive so not many people can afford to buy games at $60 easily. If they released it at $30 and during the dry gaming months then perhaps it would have done better

#49 Posted by lundy86_4 (42549 posts) -

@b-apples said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@b-apples said:

@lundy86_4 said:

So for a fan of the original SC games and as someone who hated Conviction, would you recommend Blacklist?.

Blacklist is probably one of the better Splinter Cell's. Still behind CT, but very good.

#50 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16944 posts) -

Not sure why they thought people would gladly cough up $60 for a 2D platformer that wasn't Nintendo related. I know I personally have zero interest in that game type these days, especially at that price.

Good thing with Rayman though is that maybe the Rabbids show will help keep the series relevant and garner more attention to the series over time. Tis an amusing show and I am sure kids love it and might go straight to the Rayman games because of it.

As for Splinter Cell, I blame Ubi for that. Terrible release timing on top of absolutely CRAPPY previewing and advertising. Only reason I even checked that game out (I rented it and enjoyed it) was through word of mouth about the game not being some PoS run and gun game like their previews made it look like it would be.