Conception 2 GS review -Vita/3DS. Game is filled with lust

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Not so surprising score by GS for the upcoming Atlus title Conception 2 for the Vita and 3DS.

Score is 5/10

already preordered the game and looking forward to playing it :D

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/conception-ii-review/1900-6415727/

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Always knew it was gonna be shit.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Peele actually writes decent reviews, especially for handheld RPGs, so I can dig the review.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

ugh... more gripes and complaints about a different culture's ways. If that stuff bothers Western-minded morals so much, why even play/review these games in the fist place?

Gameplay, design choices, battle system and story complaints are all legit territory--political opinion and cultural judgements are not. It's like reading a Japanese person's take on Duck Dynasty or The House Wives of Atlanta. Can't take it seriously.

I'm not even interested in the game, but it feels like the reviewer was judging it as though some Bio ware RPG was the apex of his standard for the genre. smh

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bigboi500

These moral judgements and political correctness concerns in game reviews are getting ridiculous. Whether it's JRPGs like this or GTA V, there really is no place in game reviews for things like that.

No one complained about setting off the nuke in Megaton City in Fallout 3 because it would be ridiculous. Imagine some liberal agenda spiel something like this: "the evilness of setting off that nuke destroyed lives and families, evaporating dreams, hope and children with the push of a button, which leaves one to question the poor treatment of those people..."

What the hell kind of awareness and agenda are these reviewers trying to push these days? Seems they're forgetting that these are works of fiction and fantasy, not guide books to proper living and equality for pixels everywhere.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

No wonder it´s shit like most games in that sub genre.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Too japanese for my tastes.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I had fun with the demo and cant wait till it comes in. The sexual dialog doesint really bug me especially as someone who watches alot of anime.Its actually entertaining for me.I tend to disagree with GS reviews so its no shock if it will happen again.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The game looks fun.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Not anything I'm interested in...but totally agree on political correctness, and personal ideologies swaying reviews. It's getting out of hand.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

SIGN.ME.UP.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Bigboi500: well said, I very much agree.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

You guys realize that there is more to a game tban gameplay right? If theres a bunch of possibly underage chicks being oversexualized he has a right to complain about it. Designs and setting are just smas important as gameplay

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Never heard of the game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Bigboi500:

I agree on all points, I was dead serious when I said this site is starting to become the new Kotaku.

Anyways I loved the demo so I'll pick this up at some point, I seriously went in with 0 expectations but from what I played from the demo it was pretty fun.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

I stop caring about gamespot reviews awhile ago

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

Stay classy, Japan.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44535 Posts

I don't know why people act like this was downgraded because of politically incorrectness. There's a whole host of issues like the social system being uninteresting, that maxing out relationships affection requires no effort, crap story, and the combat not even be challenging until the end of the game, and that someone can just rely on auto-battle the entire game. Maybe something like bad story and uninteresting characters could be ignored for a game with great and challenging battle elements but there doesn't even seem to be that.

Anyhow, the line everyone seems to be freaking out about is THE GOOD / THE BAD tagline of:

Relationship element is too easy and packed with sexism

But what the review had to say about it in that regard is:

The story presents the classmating ritual as innocent enough, and the act is initially accomplished by both "parents" merely holding hands. But while the game states that classmating is a pure-hearted process, it implies inappropriate levels of lasciviousness. All conversations about classmating are packed with blatant innuendo, and the game doesn't shy away from adolescent levels of sexual humor, featuring talk of bust sizes and looking up girls' skirts, and depicting an uncomfortably perverted priest. There are moments when the game does an acceptable job of at least contextualizing the sexual overtones and providing balance to this kind of sexism; there are even times when the story explores its themes of teenage sexuality on a mature level. Too often, however, the winks and nudges of the dialogue go too far into the realm of crassness, as if the writers are constantly poking you and shouting, "Get it? It's like we're talking about sex even when we're not!"

I think the problem here is the maturity of the delivery, as if Beavis and Butthead wrote the game's dialogue. I think the heavy sexual overtones aren't inherently negative by themselves but how they're handled I think makes more of a difference.

Anyhow, GTA V still scored a 9 even with sexism concerns addressed, that's why I feel there's more weight added to the other criticisms that bring its score down (bad gameplay, not challenging, bad story, bad social elements). A game with sexual elements though does warrant a lot more attention when the game is void of any other substance, then it becomes exploitative. If it's a bad thing for any reason it's because it's totally lacking of substance in other areas. Then again, exploitation as a genre has it's own kind of tone and flavor to it, in that sense shamelessly owning that angle can actually be a positive depending on delivery.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

These moral judgements and political correctness concerns in game reviews are getting ridiculous. Whether it's JRPGs like this or GTA V, there really is no place in game reviews for things like that.

No one complained about setting off the nuke in Megaton City in Fallout 3 because it would be ridiculous. Imagine some liberal agenda spiel something like this: "the evilness of setting off that nuke destroyed lives and families, evaporating dreams, hope and children with the push of a button, which leaves one to question the poor treatment of those people..."

What the hell kind of awareness and agenda are these reviewers trying to push these days? Seems they're forgetting that these are works of fiction and fantasy, not guide books to proper living and equality for pixels everywhere.

Man, you took the words right out my mouth. I agree with you 100%. Moral judgment & political correctness opinions have no use in game reviews. It only diminishes the creative vision of the developers, and creates unfair judgement of the final product. Funny you mentioned the "Nuking of Megaton". It's true; no one complained about that within western culture. I guess it's because for most part; violence in games is pretty much acceptable here (even though the media is constantly trying blame gaming for shootings/other unfortunate happenings). It's unfair to minus points for the perverseness of some eastern games, especially when its something thats been well known in their gaming culture forever.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
@remiks00 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Man, you took the words right out my mouth. I agree with you 100%. Moral judgment & political correctness opinions have no use in game reviews. It only diminishes the creative vision of the developers, and creates unfair judgement of the final product. Funny you mentioned the "Nuking of Megaton". It's true; no one complained about that within western culture. I guess it's because for most part; violence in games is pretty much acceptable here (even though the media is constantly trying blame gaming for shootings/other unfortunate happenings). It's unfair to minus points for the perverseness of some eastern games, especially when its something thats been well known in their gaming culture forever.

So moral judgements or political stuff can never be wrong or should never be able to be criticized? Developers have the right to have creative vision, but that doesn't always mean it is used in right or good ways.

Frankly, if the reviewer is bothered by the pandering and fan service this game allegedly has, why SHOULDN'T he mention it? if it hurt the overall experience of the game for him, then why shouldn't he bring it up? because this stuff could certainly be uncomfortable for other people as well, and hurt the experience for them as well.

To put it simply, if something exists within the game, it is fair game to critique and criticize it. because, even if it is a minor part of the game, it could still be an issue for some people.

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts

It really doesn't sound all that good. I should check out the demo, but this review makes me wary.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

perverts rejoice!

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts
@Capitan_Kid said:

You guys realize that there is more to a game tban gameplay right? If theres a bunch of possibly underage chicks being oversexualized he has a right to complain about it. Designs and setting are just smas important as gameplay

There's more to a game than gameplay, but nothing else stands close to it in importance.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

ugh... more gripes and complaints about a different culture's ways. If that stuff bothers Western-minded morals so much, why even play/review these games in the fist place?

Because it's being released in the west, and that's a game critic's job. Why on earth wouldn't a Western critic review a game out in the West in a way that relates to the tastes of Western audiences?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@santoron said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Because it's being released in the west, and that's a game critic's job. Why on earth wouldn't a Western critic review a game out in the West in a way that relates to the tastes of Western audiences?

"Your rights end where my feelings begin."

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

That game sounds weird as hell. Would probably try it out if it dropped to less than $20.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

@commonfate said:

@santoron said:

@Bigboi500 said:

"Your rights end where my feelings begin."

I already said I have no interest in the game, so you shouldn't make stupid assumptions. It's just unprofessional to include personal feelings and biases in a review. I mean what if a reviewer was racist or anti-homosexual? Would you want them conveying their personal opinions about that in their reviews? Of course not.

And just because a Japanese game is being released in the west, it doesn't mean everyone who isn't Asian is going to share that reviewers personal opinions and sensitivities.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@Bigboi500 said:

I mean what if a reviewer was racist or anti-homosexual? Would you want them conveying their personal opinions about that in their reviews? Of course not.

No, but I'd absolutely defend their right to.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I don't know why people act like this was downgraded because of politically incorrectness.

It's system wars. The posters are allergic to critical thinking and reading comprehension.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

For one thing, I agree that this whole Sexist stuff in reviews is getting out of hand as it's an artificial topic created by bored feminist with useless degrees trying to sell their own material to the masses. Secondly, this game had an interesting concept of raising children and use them for battles as it almost reminds me of Fire Emblem, only difference is the children inherits the Adults skils and stats. Third, it does look kind of dumb and typical JRPG only for those that like JRPG games, meaning a game not really for me.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen, this game looks like a really bad version of Persona.