Complementary console for Xbox One

#1 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting another console to go with my One. I didn't own a Wii last gen but I am a fan of a few franchises such as Mario, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart and Metroid. Since I'm already familiar with many of Nintendo's franchises I'm slightly leaning towards PS4 so I can experience some of the PS franchises( I did have a PS2 and PSP but gamed more on the GameCube and OG Xbox), but at the same time I realize Xbox One and PS4 share most games. Which do y'all think is the better buy?

#2 Edited by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

Judging by that..... if you like nintendo's franchises then you will get access to 2 gens worth... the Wii had some great 1st party and a few great 3rd parties... and they are all unique (if you don't include the magic E word for PC versions)....

Depends what you like more? yes PS4/X1 are nearly identical ingames outside of their first party, neither of which have many at the moment.

PS4 and X1 are not good companions .... so expensive and offer very little different. your better off Wii U or upgrading your PC(if it exists) ... you will get alot more out of either.... providing you don't have a very narrow taste in games ofcourse.

#3 Posted by PonchoTaco (2175 posts) -

Go for the Wii U. You can play Wii and Wii U games with it.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (26649 posts) -

Get a PS3

#5 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5070 posts) -

i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy a wiiu, not even my worst enemy

#6 Posted by blackace (20886 posts) -

@manny280 said:

I'm thinking about getting another console to go with my One. I didn't own a Wii last gen but I am a fan of a few franchises such as Mario, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart and Metroid. Since I'm already familiar with many of Nintendo's franchises I'm slightly leaning towards PS4 so I can experience some of the PS franchises( I did have a PS2 and PSP but gamed more on the GameCube and OG Xbox), but at the same time I realize Xbox One and PS4 share most games. Which do y'all think is the better buy?

Get either a PS3, XBox 360 or Wii U depending on the type of exclusive games you want to play. All 3 systems cost about the same price anyways.

#7 Posted by Shewgenja (9633 posts) -

I am thoroughly enjoying my WiiU with my PS4.

#8 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3852 posts) -

Unless you REALLY like certain Sony franchises, A Wii U seems the obvious choice. Although it might take you out of your comfort zone in terms of game design ;)

#9 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

Wii U. Two gens worth of exclusives available on one machine.

#10 Edited by APiranhaAteMyVa (2904 posts) -

Wii U makes more sense, it will take a good 3 years for the PS4 to build up a collection of exclusives making it different enough to the Xbone to be worthwhile, whereas Wii U already has a few worthwhile exclusives with more Nintendo franchises to come in the next year or so.

#11 Posted by darkangel115 (1784 posts) -

I think if you want one now, the wiiU is a better choice, It has more games and you can land one for around 200 dollars if you look hard enough. However I think your best option overall would be get a PS4 next year or so when it has a library of games and will probably have a good bundle/sale during black Friday or xmas next year. The reason i said wiiU if you want now is that fact that (and lems/cows won't want to admit this) but the X1 and PS4 have pretty much the same library at this point while the wiiU has a much different one

#12 Edited by cainetao11 (17748 posts) -

@MBirdy88: agreed with the beginning of your post. Buy a WiiU because you get many games from two gens. It wouldn't work for me per se. I dig my MS and Sony games more

#13 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

right now there's no strong exclusive for PS4. Get a wii u.

#14 Posted by Chutebox (37372 posts) -

By what you explained, Wii U

#15 Posted by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

get a Wii U if you can, if not then a Wii

#16 Posted by Heil68 (45220 posts) -

PS3 or Ps4

#17 Edited by lamprey263 (24223 posts) -

The Wii U probably has more to offer at the moment. If you pick up a Mario Kart bundle now and register it to a Club Nintendo account before the 31st you'll also get a free NSMBU, Pikmin 3, or Windwaker HD download. PS4 will have exclusives worth getting for sure, but that might be a good while down the road, so you might want to wait until then, and who knows maybe by then the system will be much cheaper.

You said you had an Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube. Did you own an Xbox 360 and/or PS3 yet? If neither, I'd say you should get one of those, play on what you've been missing out on.

#18 Posted by PapaTrop (1341 posts) -

If you can't/won't get a PC then I'd say get any Nintendo system as they always seem to be the best secondary systems.

PS4 doesn't really have any games, and won't be many for a long while. I wouldn't go with that if I were you especially since you have an Xbox One.

#19 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

@lamprey263: I had a 360 last gen but yeah I think I'm just gonna go with the Wii U and maybe get the PS4 in a few years when more exclusives come out to differentiate it from the One

#20 Edited by lundy86_4 (43541 posts) -

Sounds like you'd enjoy a WiiU. The PS4 will have some great exclusives, but you could probably hold off until later in the gen, when it's all cheap-as-chips.

#21 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

For the most diverse games I would say a Wii-U. So you have the blockbuster games and the charm of the Nintendo games. Then buy a PS4 in a couple of years for it's catalog of exclusives.

#22 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Wii U now, PS4 in a year or two when there's a solid library of exclusives available. That's my plan anyway ;)

Mario Kart is great.

#23 Posted by starwolf474 (698 posts) -

Wii U is the easy choice here. Xbox and PS4's game libraries are too similar, especially at the moment, whereas the Wii U offers many great games that you can't get on Xbox One. Plus, since you never had a Wii, you are getting two generation's worth of games.

#24 Edited by cainetao11 (17748 posts) -

#25 Posted by santoron (7775 posts) -

If you're locked into either PS4 or WiiU, go with WiiU. As you said, the overlap in libraries with PS4 and Xbone will be substantial.

#26 Posted by lamprey263 (24223 posts) -

@manny280 said:

@lamprey263: I had a 360 last gen but yeah I think I'm just gonna go with the Wii U and maybe get the PS4 in a few years when more exclusives come out to differentiate it from the One

Well, in that case, I advise you get a Wii U soon, if you plan on getting Mario Kart 8 if you register it to your Club Nintendo account before the 31st you get a free game voucher for NSMBU, Pikmin 3, or Wind Waker HD.