CNET: Death of Microsoft's Xbox One vision means we all lose

• 172 results
#101 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -

Making different and unique hardware can be great. But it isn't when the hardware isn't reliable or utilized in interesting ways.

Motion controls have been mainstream on console since 2007 with the Wii and hardly any games since have utilized them for anything very not worthy. qte, aiming and minigames. Kinect has exist since, like, 2010? You could probably name less that ten games that relied heavily on Kinect that were actually good.

So yeah, this isn't a tragedy at all. Unique hardware can be great but not when it's failed to justify making a system one hundred dollars more expensive that it's competitor and not when that hardware is synonymous with incompetence.

#102 Posted by Lionheart08 (15345 posts) -

Microsoft should have had a vision that didn't include a bunch of DRM then. I get that they were trying to go in a "more than just a console" direction but when your primary buying audience is still gamers, you can't alienate them.

#103 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10324 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

But how much did people actually understand about them? How many people understood what Microsoft was trying to do with their digital sharing before they jumped on it as being the end to used games, that it means we are getting less choice?

The PS3 and 360 where more different than the Xbox One and PS4 are now.

I still have no idea why anyone is still clinging to a convoluted DRM system, as a LOSS to gamers...everything Microsoft has been doing lately is because their original ideas were clearly REJECTED as being harmful to or unwanted by consumers. Now they just have to suffer the fact that their hardware design was cheap, and unfocused.

That's the point I tried to make, that everything Microsoft had to say was convoluted and poorly presented - in that comes the misunderstanding about what Microsoft wanted and envisioned the original Xbox One to be.

From one of my earlier posts:

I think that if Microsoft had gone ahead with their original plan for the Xbox One it would have turned into a more niche device - with the people who can utilize it to its fullest being absolutely head-over-heels in love with it, but alienating a larger portion of people at the same time. I would think the Xbox One of old would do quite badly in this day and age.

However(!) much like what Apple did with the iPod, revolutions in tech come from someone expanding upon already existing technology. Generation 9 would have brought new consoles that would have expanded on Microsoft's Generation 8 vision in amazing ways...but now? Who is to say if we will see any new ideas in the next 10-15 years.

For as successful as the PS4 has been, it isn't new or all that exciting (Hell, even Sony dropped the PS4 Camera to undercut the Xbox One price). The PS4 is very powerful and has a very reasonable pricetag, which seems to be the only thing console buyers want in their console.

#104 Edited by Lionheart08 (15345 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Its a pity gamers rejected the original XOne. Sony effectively re-releasing the 360 really didn't help either.

Technically the 360 was effectively a re-release of the PS2. :P

#105 Posted by StormyJoe (4889 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: I agree. I think unbundling Kinect is a terrible idea, but it will sell consoles.

#106 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: I agree. I think unbundling Kinect is a terrible idea, but it will sell consoles.

Could not agree more. I wish MS would have taken the hit and left it in, but they just don't want to operate behind the eight ball. To a degree I do get that.

#107 Edited by princeofshapeir (13751 posts) -

I prefer my consoles are simple gaming machines instead of bloated multimedia devices. If you want something really different there's Nintendo.

#108 Edited by Shewgenja (8460 posts) -

Choose one:

A. Market penetration and developer support

B. Features that won't appeal to its target market for years while the price drops at least two or three times.

It's that fucking simple, people. This "vision" that MS had for the console was a console stuck between a rock and a hard place. IT WAS A BAD VISION.

#109 Posted by donalbane (16203 posts) -

I'm sure somebody already mentioned it, but isn't CNET owned by Microsoft?

#110 Edited by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

The only losers are the early Xbone adopters. The vision M$ had for the future sucked and consumers rightfully rejected it.

and embraces it with another company. Which is why it's so weird. Oh well.

#111 Edited by B4X (3597 posts) -

I'm sure somebody already mentioned it, but isn't CNET owned by Microsoft?

CBS

#112 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8203 posts) -

Xbox 180

All policies reversed and half as popular as the 360.

#113 Posted by B4X (3597 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@StormyJoe said:

Could not agree more. I wish MS would have taken the hit and left it in, but they just don't want to operate behind the eight ball. To a degree I do get that.

I think the NSA scandal gave them little choice. It was a dumb choice to make it mandatory in the first place. Who wants a spy cam in their house? This will help sales in the long term.

#114 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2725 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The only losers are the early Xbone adopters. The vision M$ had for the future sucked and consumers rightfully rejected it.

MS forgot like Sony did with the ps3 that a console should be about games first. Sony went back to games and the ps3 came back and beat the 360. Next gen MS does tv,kinect as the main focus. Now it's trying to go back to games. They are also getting rid of the unpopular restrictions. So it's trying to do what Sony did and that is good. The problem is the x180 is a weaker version of the ps4 for the same price.

#115 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

At this point, they've damaged the brand. They need to work hard to earn back credibility and get gamers and consumers on board. That'll take time.

#116 Edited by magicalclick (22439 posts) -

The vision costs 100 bucks. That's a fact. Now move along.

#117 Edited by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

MS forgot like Sony did with the ps3 that a console should be about games first. Sony went back to games and the ps3 came back and beat the 360. Next gen MS does tv,kinect as the main focus. Now it's trying to go back to games. They are also getting rid of the unpopular restrictions. So it's trying to do what Sony did and that is good. The problem is the x180 is a weaker version of the ps4 for the same price.

The PS3 did not beat the 360.

You are also wrong about Tv kinect being the main focus. In fact, it's silly. All of that came from the reveal, because they wanted to bring in games for that E3 only due to complaints for 2 years about shoving a bunch of crap at e3. I agree though they seem to have sent out mixed message and bad planning, but they replaced don with someone with more intelligence so they are at least trying to fix things I guess.

As for the same price issue, that's a conflict because you just said it's all about games so which side are you on in the games power issue? I know you would laugh if I said something like the GC was better than the PS2.

As for your a console should be about games first the 3Do disagrees with you. it failed because if everything no related to games and not putting in promised functions. It's funny when you look back on things like that.

#118 Posted by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

I just had a Nutella (chocolate) Pizza today. It was fucking beautiful.

#119 Edited by blackace (20272 posts) -

that's a good article.

xb1 is losing to PS4 at the moment anyway, and that's after MS has reversed so much. reversing hasn't helped, fuck, i'd have more respect for MS if they deployed their vision with family sharing and what not.

now the consoles are too similar, it's fucking boring.

I don't think they would have been the 3rd fastest selling game console in the history of game consoles if they kept those policies intacted. They are looking into bringing back some form of the family sharing program in the future. So yes, M$ is still listening. Alsothe XB1 with Kinect isn't being removed from retail shelves, so their vision is still intact for anyone who is still interested in it.

#120 Posted by heretrix (37310 posts) -

We all know that gamers mostly want innovation as long as nothing changes.

The PS4 is nothing but a PS3 with better graphics. That's what people wanted and thats what they got.

#121 Edited by SambaLele (5177 posts) -

In other words: let's blame consumers for a product's rejection. Great way to see it!

#122 Edited by RR360DD (11606 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Its a pity gamers rejected the original XOne. Sony effectively re-releasing the 360 really didn't help either.

The 360 innovated, particularly in the online space. The PS4 is basically a carbon copy but with beefier hardware.

#123 Posted by Lionheart08 (15345 posts) -
@RR360DD said:

@Lionheart08 said:

@RR360DD said:

The 360 innovated, particularly in the online space. The PS4 is basically a carbon copy but with beefier hardware.

And now the One is doing it's best to be more like the PS4, so Carbon copyception?

#124 Posted by Heirren (16533 posts) -

cnet is usually pretty decent for tech reviews, but this is just a joke. For better or worse, it is the consumer want that is the most important thing in play here.

#125 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -

@Heirren said:

cnet is usually pretty decent for tech reviews, but this is just a joke. For better or worse, it is the consumer want that is the most important thing in play here.

And you missed the point....

#126 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

Kinect 1.0 on the 360 was crap, nobody wanted it, Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One was further crap, again nobody wants it. This can only be a "good" thing which I use the word good loosely. Xbox One needs to fail, its everything that's wrong with the industry.

#127 Edited by Heirren (16533 posts) -

@Heirren said:

And you missed the point....

lol. That is certainly possible. I read the thread title and assumed it was an accurate depiction of the article. It wasn't? The way this forum mis-quotes I wouldn't be surprised.

#128 Posted by rrjim1 (853 posts) -

Anyone that believes this is a fool!

"Kinect 1.0 on the 360 was crap, nobody wanted it, Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One was further crap, again nobody wants it. This can only be a "good" thing which I use the word good loosely. Xbox One needs to fail, its everything that's wrong with the industry."

#129 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

kinects a terrible idea

#130 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70646 posts) -

Xbox One was a box without vision when it was released DRM, used games blockage, kinect, paywall, etc. These were all things that alienated gamers and showed it had no vision at all. Now it's a box for gamers that tried to screw us over, but realized we didn't bite on that stuff

#131 Edited by sibu_xgamer (330 posts) -

That's a very dumb view. Changes can be unnecessary and bad, like kinect was unnecessary and bad.

#132 Edited by tysonwritesel (2267 posts) -

Hurray for speculations on systems that haven't been out for a year! Console gaming is doomed! I don't think so, there will be good gamepad games when there's enough of these things sitting collecting dust. Unless we really are in a crash, then you better be happy with League or whatever you like.

#133 Posted by MirkoS77 (7149 posts) -

Commentary: By unbundling the Kinect sensor from Xbox One, Microsoft strips away the console's last differentiating element. The industry and gamers will suffer for it.

A very interesting perspective from CNET in which they proclaim that because the console video gamer dislikes when consoles attempt to be innovated we are being forced into the exact same cycle we were supposed to have just left.

Entire Article

Because by unbundling the Kinect from the Xbox One -- a splintering of the peripheral's install base that may kill Kinect's future and, at best, will undoubtedly hamper game development that incorporates motion control -- we're left with two video game consoles that are essentially identical. Granted, the PS4 has a graphical edge, and the Xbox One cable-box functionality, though the former is entirely negligible to the everyday consumer and the latter now jeopardized given the One's reliance on the Kinect's IR blasting functionality to control your television.

After months of adamant defense of the Kinect's role in the Xbox One experience, Microsoft has yet again reversed its stance, bringing full circle a thorough stripping of nearly every interesting element from its console -- it's daring yet poorly handled promise of a disc-less future and digital resale program; its forward-thinking family-sharing plan; the motion and voice-controlled centerpiece of its entertainment vision. That means that the Xbox One and PS4 are not only barely differentiable from each other, but also at their core offer nothing substantially different than what their predecessors did nine years ago.

The central issue lies in the original promise of the Xbox One, the reality of where we are roughly one year later, and what was accomplished in the collective crusade. We did not need two separate consoles that do the exact same things, play pretty much the same games, and stream the same services you get with a $99 Roku. What we needed were real choices that represented not which console you wanted to play Destiny or Watch Dogs or Call of Duty on, but different systems that cater to wider audiences, provide different use cases, look forward, and aren't chained down to the status quo.

Microsoft tried to escape those confines of the console war and it failed, caving to nearly every demand put forth by the gaming audience with a shoulder shrug and a "maybe one day." Now, the Xbox is back to fighting a battle in which everyone loses.

Why do I get the heavy impression this article was written by someone who doesn't even game?

"Forward thinking family sharing plan?" Right, nothing more backward-ass than simply being able to take out a disc from my system and simply hand it to another as many times as I wish without having to jump through hoops to gain permission and operate under such strict conditions as MS was looking to impose. What am I thinking? "The motion and voice controlled centerpiece of its entertainment division"....yea, a piss-poor executed one at that, having to articulate strict speech patterns for the damn thing to even recognize it and work, a problem that Siri and other voice recognition technology software has flown past years ago? Motion controls that added....what, exactly? But no, call me a fool. The "promise of a disc-less future and digital resale program" when 74% of gamers still prefer getting their games physically?

To all those blaming consumers to this.....I say piss off, and to lay the blame where it's deserved. Microsoft is fully responsible for this (rightful) utter miserable failure, not only due to the way they decided to attempt to arrogantly assume we'd be fully willing to swallow such unwanted tech and draconian measures without question, but their failure to properly and adequately represent those benefits to the consumers in marketing and subsequent software demonstrating its usefulness, much less execute on those ideas in a competent and efficient manner.

"Everyone loses"? Right.....fuck off, CNET.

No, everyone had to fight to "rewin" freedoms they already had yet MS tried to take away, to now only be seen as the poor little company that tried to enlighten us out of our meager, status-quo existences suffering antiquated policies and technological redundancy. Yea, my heart's just bleeding for you, MS. Screw the companies that try this bullshit, only to then attempt to be masqueraded as some sort of forward thinking innovator by these articles and the idiots that vomit them up. Unbelievable. MS was doing us NO favors here with what they tried, I'm extremely grateful the market reacted the way it did, and it sickens me to see people coming to the defense of something that would have effectively bound their hands behind their backs compared to what we had before.

Sure, CNET, I'll be sure to remember how I'm losing when I don't have to be connected to the net to play, won't have to abide a piece of useless hardware to own, can borrow, trade-in, and sell my games freely as I choose, and play better performing software on a system where it has it where it counts.

#134 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

I lost $100 since MS decided to abandon Kinect(lol). I would of 100% bought mine without if I had the choice at the time.

#135 Edited by Shewgenja (8460 posts) -

When only 115k people in your home turf get your "vision", it's time to change the rose-tinted glasses.

#136 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

When only 115k people in your home turf get your "vision", it's time to change the rose-tinted glasses.

True dat. That is the only reason they dropped Kinect.

#137 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4034 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

The thing is that the kinnect it's like a ADD-on to the console. Not really something you need to play your games to the extend you may want to play them. Then there's the thing about being forced to purchase an Add-on you have no interest in using. Consumer should have a choice of doing so.. it's 100 dollars worth of something you don't care for using.

You need to make distinctions. Kinect wasn't an add on, it is now. It was part of the console which meant it would have had serious considerations for uses.

But until you see what would have come of it, you would never know the benefits. But now we never will.

"Other developers have speculated what the move means for Kinect, suggesting that any hopes of it spawning triple-A titles are fading fast, and it's instead likely to look to indies to find its place, despite ongoing troubles caused by the parity clause. Paul Mottram, studio head for the developer of Zumba Fitness, told Develop, "From a developer point of view it’s a shame, as it all but kills the chances of making an original Kinect title unless it is a major licensed Fitness or Dance product – and even those will suffer as it’s unlikely we’ll see Kinect 2 units even come close to the installed base of the original now. Even then it was a challenge."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/devs-respond-to-microsofts-new-kinect-less-xbox-one

#138 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4034 posts) -
@tormentos said:

@RR360DD said:

So after a whole generation claiming that the xbox 360 was the best console ever,now some how is bad that sony release a 360 like console.?

Because if all we are going to do is upgrade, we could have done that on the PC. Consoles are an opportunity to find new ways playing or interacting with games.

The 360 and PS3 are similar and were great, but that was last gen. Would it ever hurt for Sony to try something new? MS could have easily gone exactly the same way as the PS4, but they wanted to try a new direction. How is it bad that they did that? The only bad thing is that they pussy'd out of it after only six months.

This just makes the current gen pussy PCs right now. Because it's doing nothing I can't do on a PC, but everything can be done so much better on the PC, right off the bat. The graphics of this gen aren't even special, that's what makes it so laughable. The PC is quickly closing the gap.

The things that bother me about the Wii U and Nintendo are internal, they could have much better relations and communications with developers and publishers. But I respect them for trying new things.

#139 Posted by inb4uall (5349 posts) -

How do I lose? I never wanted that vision. I'm glad it's dead.

#140 Posted by jsmoke03 (12748 posts) -

Commentary: By unbundling the Kinect sensor from Xbox One, Microsoft strips away the console's last differentiating element. The industry and gamers will suffer for it.

A very interesting perspective from CNET in which they proclaim that because the console video gamer dislikes when consoles attempt to be innovated we are being forced into the exact same cycle we were supposed to have just left.

Entire Article

Because by unbundling the Kinect from the Xbox One -- a splintering of the peripheral's install base that may kill Kinect's future and, at best, will undoubtedly hamper game development that incorporates motion control -- we're left with two video game consoles that are essentially identical. Granted, the PS4 has a graphical edge, and the Xbox One cable-box functionality, though the former is entirely negligible to the everyday consumer and the latter now jeopardized given the One's reliance on the Kinect's IR blasting functionality to control your television.

After months of adamant defense of the Kinect's role in the Xbox One experience, Microsoft has yet again reversed its stance, bringing full circle a thorough stripping of nearly every interesting element from its console -- it's daring yet poorly handled promise of a disc-less future and digital resale program; its forward-thinking family-sharing plan; the motion and voice-controlled centerpiece of its entertainment vision. That means that the Xbox One and PS4 are not only barely differentiable from each other, but also at their core offer nothing substantially different than what their predecessors did nine years ago.

The central issue lies in the original promise of the Xbox One, the reality of where we are roughly one year later, and what was accomplished in the collective crusade. We did not need two separate consoles that do the exact same things, play pretty much the same games, and stream the same services you get with a $99 Roku. What we needed were real choices that represented not which console you wanted to play Destiny or Watch Dogs or Call of Duty on, but different systems that cater to wider audiences, provide different use cases, look forward, and aren't chained down to the status quo.

Microsoft tried to escape those confines of the console war and it failed, caving to nearly every demand put forth by the gaming audience with a shoulder shrug and a "maybe one day." Now, the Xbox is back to fighting a battle in which everyone loses.

i dont see identical consoles as a big problem. its how it always was up until last gen. look at what being different did to nintendo this gen.

being different for the sake of being different isnt going to work in this industry. motion gaming isnt that compelling. maybe it will be in the future, but right now its not the defining factor.

voice commands could easily be done without the need of a kinect device

#141 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@shawn30: And I will be enjoying Uncharted, God Of War, Project Beast, The Order 1886, Rime, the next Quantic Dream game etc. PS4 has more studios and will have more exclusives than Xbone so you will never win that battle unless you are obsessed with Halo.

#142 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@heretrix: That is exactly what I wanted. Xbox sucks.

#143 Posted by Desmonic (13404 posts) -

Oh yes, I'm sure we all lose a lot wth Kinec not being mandatory anymore.....

/s in case anyone is wondering.

#144 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4074 posts) -

Massive delusion ITT.

MS could easily have absorbed the cost of the Kinect and a price cut. They ditched it because market research said that people would still not get a Bone because of the forced Kinect.

The sooner people realise this precious vision was inherently cancerous, the better.

#145 Edited by Shewgenja (8460 posts) -

Why the fuck should a gaming console go groveling back to the TV that we turn the console on to get away from in the first place? It wasn't really a vision so much as a lack thereof. Ramming a camera in every box to jack the price up was just insult to injury. The fact that they sacrificed game performance to do all this was the all-encompassing joke of the system.

XBox fanboys should be thanking God that MS won't waste another dime on non-gaming stuff from now on. The PS4s success makes it very clear who runs shit in the post-Wii era. If you're wondering whom I refer to, it's the core gamer.

#146 Posted by tormentos (17092 posts) -

Because if all we are going to do is upgrade, we could have done that on the PC. Consoles are an opportunity to find new ways playing or interacting with games.

The 360 and PS3 are similar and were great, but that was last gen. Would it ever hurt for Sony to try something new? MS could have easily gone exactly the same way as the PS4, but they wanted to try a new direction. How is it bad that they did that? The only bad thing is that they pussy'd out of it after only six months.

This just makes the current gen pussy PCs right now. Because it's doing nothing I can't do on a PC, but everything can be done so much better on the PC, right off the bat. The graphics of this gen aren't even special, that's what makes it so laughable. The PC is quickly closing the gap.

The things that bother me about the Wii U and Nintendo are internal, they could have much better relations and communications with developers and publishers. But I respect them for trying new things.

Come on man stop your charade,Kinect isn't new or revolutionary is a stinking Eye Toy rip off with depth perception,a concept done before,is like saying the PS1 was revolutionary because it had a controller,the hell like other platforms didn't have one bore it..

Oh please MS just wanted what Nintendo has last gen,kinect wasn't new this time they were going build in,and even gimped the hardware on purpose to be able to bundle it in,DRM,no used games online checks Tv TV TV come on MS vision was a nightmare.

Have a nice time playing Uncharted,TLOU,and all sony great games on PC or MS ones on PC,Nintendo refuses to change and refuses to give people a strong hardware,the wii U was a joke PS3 with a tablet they should have ax the tablet a long time ago and sell it separate if people wanted pack that 360 like controller in and sell it for $199 and you will see the wii U take off,but Nintendo is to old fashion for changes,so they are biting the bullet instead of what MS is doing,it didn't take long for MS to see their vision was wrong,it was rumor since last year that the kinectless sku was coming this summer for $399,MS knew it had to do it after it saw the backlash and low sales,they just got leak like everything was for then.

#147 Edited by Suppaman100 (3771 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@Lionheart08 said:

@RR360DD said:

LOL, the only thing 360 innovated was RROD

#148 Posted by musicalmac (22900 posts) -

Poor management has led the Xbox One down this road. Kinect wasn't ready for prime time, so to bundle it as a necessary accessory was a mistake. The problem is, without bundling it, it likely wouldn't have been picked up by anybody.

See the problem with that? What a bunch of overpaid clowns.

#149 Edited by SambaLele (5177 posts) -

From some posts, it seems that some SW users accepted a lot of lies about the "vision" MS talks about so much. Let's see what we really lost with all their U-turns:

The X1 was announced in a press conference in May 21, 2013. That's when they announced restriction on used games resales, lending and renting; mandatory Kinect, as well as mandatory online. Initially, there was a fee for selling or lending your game, but for a couple of weeks MS remained silent on the issue. Hence the article from Wired:

"Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

On June 06, 2013, MS made the first 180º, and announced that, when bought, games were actually licensed on Xbox One - you didn't entirely own what you bought. Gamespot made an article on it. Kotaku wrapped it up for us in this article, and basically:

"The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it. Publishers being the very people opposed most fiercely to used video game sales.

There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

The online authentication every 24 hours for offline games was confirmed.

There were other rules, for example, you could only gift your disc-based game to a friend that was on your friends list for 30 days and the game would never be able to be given to anyone else.

Then E3 2013 (MS' conference on June 10, 2013) came, along with the 2nd 180, which was the "family sharing" plan. It was basically the licensing model, but with a few tweaks.

After even that didn't suffice, MS "updated" the game licensing manual, basically saying that after strong user feedback they decided to refrain from the licensing model and online checks. There were articles on Forbes, Time and many other great news media covering that as a result from the used games and always-online policies' backlash (which, at the time, already went for a month). This was the 3rd 180.

So dropping Kinect was the 4th U-Turn, probably the last for MS losing their entire "vision". What did we miss after all, with each backtracking?

1st to 3rd backtrackings: we lost the vision that games are not meant to be owned, but only licensed with very restrictive rules. Which is not DRM, since it's not intended to fight piracy, instead it's about dominating or eliminating the second-hand market. So, we lost this part of the vision. Here we also lost the chance to have to be online every 24 hours to play offline.

4th 180: We lost the chance to not being able to buy a X1 without a new version of a peripheral that failed and still fails to justify it's existance since 2010.

CNET, that's what we're "losing".

#150 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2725 posts) -

@SambaLele: Your post was bang on how soon people forget