Cliff B. defends Oculus-FB deal calls Notch pouty kid

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

PC GAMER

LOL

In addition to making the Unreal series, Cliff Bleszinski is also an investor in Oculus VR. He admits in a recent blog post that, as an early investor in the company, he stands to make a lot of money fromFacebook’s $2 billion acquisition. But he also thinks the deal is great for Oculus VR overall.

“IF [Oculus Rift] is going to be (hopefully) a dedicated system instead of a (ugh) peripheral they need their version of whatever the app store would be,” Bleszinski said. “Your device is only as good as the store and community around it; if users can’t say shut up and take my money, if developers can’t post their work then the device will ultimately flounder. Facebook can assist with this sort of thing, as well as having a multi billion user reach.”

Bleszinski then goes on to explain what he thinks Kickstarter backers actually buy into when they back a product, Mark Zuckerberg's assurances about keeping Oculus Rift as a gaming device first, and other arguments you already heard elsewhere, including in our reaction to the acquisition.

Interestingly, in a postscript, Bleszinski calls out Markus “Notch” Persson specifically, who announced he was pulling the plug on an Oculus Rift version of Minecraft shortly after news of the deal first broke.

“Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home,” he said. “It’s a bratty and petty move and it saddens me greatly.”

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

He's short and hasn't made a good game since Unreal Tournament was released in 199ninty somthing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

""programming god John Carmack" lolololol Except he's not produced anything of worth in the past 15 or more years, Maybe If you go back in time to windows 95 he was a programming god but not so much now.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

This is the first gaming device that I've ever truly wanted to see fail.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

But it IS a peripheral. I dont wanna have to use ANOTHER digital storefront. He just made it sound much worse.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker: you realize John Carmack is like the most respected guy in gaming.

You know your in system wars when some random guy who built minecrafts opinion is taken more seriously than some of the founding fathers of gaming.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Here´s the response from Notch.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker: while carmack 'the executive' may not everyone's favorite. Gotta admit he laid some foundations. I don't think the FPS's we've seen would've happened without his contributions. When he describes how Wolf 3D and Doom were made, he was pretty much flying blind and figuring shit out on the go. Didn't have the tooklits and middleware that others have now.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Why do people make what ever this guy says news? They need to stop.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@WilliamRLBaker: you realize John Carmack is like the most respected guy in gaming.

You know your in system wars when some random guy who built minecrafts opinion is taken more seriously than some of the founding fathers of gaming.

He used to be respected,not so much anymore

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It won't matter what Notch has to say, Cliffy will just hide behind some conveniently placed waist high cover.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

In addition to making the Unreal series, Cliff Bleszinski is also an investor in Oculus VR. He admits in a recent blog post that, as an early investor in the company, he stands to make a lot of money fromFacebook’s $2 billion acquisition.

__

That's where Cliffy loses all credibility.

So they want to sell this as a seperate device with its own app store? I really think buying into the already established steam, psn, and xbox live would be smarter. Getting people to buy into yet another app store...its getting to be a bit much.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Cliff does know a thing or two about being pouty.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Too funny. Like two kids on a playground at recess.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

He just made Notch look better as far as I'm concerned.

@lbjkurono23 said:

Oh snap!

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I bet people that kickstarted it are really butthurt right now.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Notch did seem like a pouty kid. I doubt there was anything really in development though anyways. If there was, then damn was that a shit business decision on Notch's part--the cancellation I mean. He may have made bank off of Minecraft, but making stupid business decisions--such as cancelling projects on a whim--will come back to harm him and his team.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Last time I checked the top of the "pouty kid list" Cliffy B was at the top, let me check the list again....yup he's still at the top.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

This is the first gaming device that I've ever truly wanted to see fail.

The Xbox One says hi.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I've always loved Cliffy B

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Loading Video...

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Notch reminds me of some of the gamers you see on these boards that act like petulant children. Because of that I don't like him.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

We're talking about the same Cliffy B that was all for the Xbox having DRM, the same cliffy B that attacked PC gamers when his games didn't sell on the PC and jumped straight into accusing anyone who was against DRM of being a pirate

Edit: forgot to add, this is the same Cliffy B that wanted the used game market to go away and defended horrendously bloated budgets for games that ultimately don't sell too well

John Carmack did a lot for gaming, but nowadays many don't respect him as much anymore since he sold out

I have more respect for Notch for sticking for what he believes in and not be a sellout

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I would only buy the Oculus Rift as a peripheral for my PC. I'm not going to buy an entirely new system, especially with news of cheap alternatives coming out almost weekly....

ajames_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ajames_123
Member since 2004 • 2983 Posts

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/introducing-michael-abrash-oculus-chief-scientist/

Michael abrash is has also joined and is now chief Scientist. I have pre-ordered the DK2, i had and sold the DK1.

Notch dropping his support in no way effects Oculus or VR. There is already a mod available called minecrift. Its his own choice and thats cool but he should have waited a day to think things over but like alot of people, he had a knee jerk reaction. I have no doubt alot of these people will be enjoying the rift in the future.

I cant wait for DK2.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Having a new Store for Occulus would only make the product worse.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NFJSupreme

@LegatoSkyheart: how?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

At this point I agree. 'Facebook creeps me out' isn't a good business reason to cancel development. As an instinct, it could have prompted him to re-evaluate the situation, or shelved the project until he was sure.

But 'Facebook creeps me out' sounds like some fanboy thing, 'principles' my ass.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NFJSupreme

@HalcyonScarlet: exactly. This whole fanboy mentality is ruining the gaming community. So when I see a dev act like a system wars poster I instantly get turned off. I want nothing to do with it. I'm just not going to support that type of behavior. Not someone in his position.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I agree with his Notch comment. Facebook bought it and now you won't support it? What kind of logic is that? It wasn't the third Reich that bought it. He reacted the same with windows 8 too. Always jumping on what's the newest hate fad on the internet like some teenager.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HalcyonScarlet
@NFJSupreme said:

@HalcyonScarlet: exactly. This whole fanboy mentality is ruining the gaming community. So when I see a dev act like a system wars poster I instantly get turned off. I want nothing to do with it. I'm just not going to support that type of behavior. Not someone in his position.

agreed

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#34 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

So Cliffy is big investor and wants it as a standalone platform with it's own app store. Well that sounds like the antithesis of what the people who kickstarted it would have wanted. Imagine the pitch without the fucking deception, "Yes, come one come all you plebs! Invest in the new totally awesome Facebook VR Headset, it plays beetleborgs intro and won't be built around existing core PC gaming, but rather have an appstore like iPhone!"

When it comes to the essence of games, the gameplay, I'll side with the guy who still has design chops and will choose honor over selling out. Kinda sad, old Cliffy and Johnny C buried knee deep in facebook's bidding. Weaksauce.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Sounds like Cliff B. is being the pouty one. Translation : "Bu..bu...I want more money! :(" *baby pouty face*

Facebook isn't just a social network - it's one of the biggest data mining companies on this planet. They take the information they learn about you and sell it for loads of money to advertisers. Notch understandably doesn't want the Occulus to be primarily a marketing tool for advertisers. Facebook isn't a gaming company, they aren't trying to figure out how to make the Occulus a great gaming device, but rather how to use it to collect as much information and money from people as possible. Obviously they will say *anything* in the mean time to keep the current Occulus fans happy. They aren't going to come out and announce "Yea, Occulus is actually about the future of marketing", when could simply say "Occulus is the future of gaming".

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Standalone device with an appstore? Dafuq?

It was conceived of and was developed as a peripheral. What is Cliffy smoking?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lbjkurono23 said:

Was just coming in to say that.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

At this point I agree. 'Facebook creeps me out' isn't a good business reason to cancel development. As an instinct, it could have prompted him to re-evaluate the situation, or shelved the project until he was sure.

But 'Facebook creeps me out' sounds like some fanboy thing, 'principles' my ass.

That's a sellout mentality if i've ever seen it

"I don't like Facebook but this deal will probably secure more money... LET's DO IT"

If I was running a business, the last thing I would do is associate with companies I don't trust or "creep me out", it's common sense, only a sellout would go for a partnership with a company they don't like simply because it's the better "business" decision

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet

@roler42 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

That's a sellout mentality if i've ever seen it

"I don't like Facebook but this deal will probably secure more money... LET's DO IT"

If I was running a business, the last thing I would do is associate with companies I don't trust or "creep me out", it's common sense, only a sellout would go for a partnership with a company they don't like simply because it's the better "business" decision

He made a knee jerk reaction because 'they creep him out', it's dumb.

It's also nothing to do with selling out. He has to come up with something better than 'they creep me out'. What has more money got to do with it? Merely supporting a product he would have anyway, except it has a new parent company.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Two of the more repulsive "figures" in the gaming "industry"

Cliff - Manchild

Persson - made a block-building simulator in Java

Not sure how anyone could like either one of these people.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Cliffy Bitchinszki was his name.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

""programming god John Carmack" lolololol Except he's not produced anything of worth in the past 15 or more years, Maybe If you go back in time to windows 95 he was a programming god but not so much now.

Every game Carmack's worked on looked ridiculous for its time. Games don't have to be good to make you an amazing programmer, and that's exactly what Carmack is. I'm glad he's not working on games anymore, it's not really his thing.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Notch reminds me of some of the gamers you see on these boards that act like petulant children. Because of that I don't like him.

Because he has an opinion? Let me ask you a simple question..Have you ever stood against something?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Lol, well said Markus (OP tweet). Love it.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's his game. He has a right to put it on whatever system he wants. If he doesn't like Facebook, like many people, there is no reason he has to work with them.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

Notch did seem like a pouty kid. I doubt there was anything really in development though anyways. If there was, then damn was that a shit business decision on Notch's part--the cancellation I mean. He may have made bank off of Minecraft, but making stupid business decisions--such as cancelling projects on a whim--will come back to harm him and his team.

Yeah, those hundreds upon hundreds of millions they've made so far will sure come back to bite him and his team in the ass. Notch has cancelled a few projects by now that we know of, probably more behind the scenes. He's a man of principles, which is freakin' great to see for a change in a business where people backstab each other for pennies.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

CliffyB has always rubbed me the wrong way, always gotten a heavy douchebag vibe off him. Notch, while maybe a little paranoid, i do respect the fact hes principled and not always chasing the money. That said, I dont believe facebook is some evil corporation that exists as a detriment to gaming, but I do respect the fact that if notch believes that, he remains principled and puts his money where his mouth is. At least in my mind i think notch is more interested in the success of the industry than his own personal success, which is respectable imo.... even if I dont necessarily agree with him.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@kaealy said:

@cfisher2833 said:

Yeah, those hundreds upon hundreds of millions they've made so far will sure come back to bite him and his team in the ass. Notch has cancelled a few projects by now that we know of, probably more behind the scenes. He's a man of principles, which is freakin' great to see for a change in a business where people backstab each other for pennies.

Yeah, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's a great businessman though. They can only milk Minecraft for so long, and if they're not putting out new products, they might find themselves in trouble; it's not just one guy at the company anymore. I just don't see Notch as a particularly good businessman--he's very reckless with his money. The Oculus is a great example. He threw 10k at its Kickstarter, knowing full well that he'd see no return on that. He could have just done what Cliff did and invest directly into the company, which would have entitled him to a portion of the Facebook money, but he didn't. It was too "corporate" for him or whatever. It's silliness.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

No he really isn't. Carmack is an amazing code monkey and is really quite smart but that's pretty much it. It isn't even like carmack created any games, he always had other people creating them with him. And even then they weren't the best games, they were just the first in the 1st person genre and blew peoples minds. I mean hell colleco football was the first real football game and red dots drove people crazy with its mind blowing tech and a lot still have nostalgia for it but its hardly that great to go back and play. If carmack is the most respected then surely doom 3, and rage would have been better correct instead of completely tanking?

Guys who only know a little about gaming spit out his name as a gaming god. While he was important there are a dozen or more guys who easily have been more important in gaming than him.

And minecraft is just as important to gaming. That game opened up the possibility of success through indie games like no one else and has brought millions of people who had never gamed into the fold. Plus it opened up creative multiplayer and has a staggering about of creativity for the player. But of course youll never see it because youre a contrarian and someone who will never see beyond your own limited sight range.

Then you have the fact his statement is purely opinion which makes him neither right nor wrong.