Classic RTS make its return to PC F*ck Yeh From C&C creators

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4937 posts) -

PC Gamer preview

Grey Goo, a sci-fi RTS from Petroglyph Games, a direct descendant of Westwood Studios.

Be aware, they are not an Indie. They have a publisher.

Grey Goo, unlike Star Craft will prioritize macro decisions over micro management.

It's a base-building, resource-harvesting RTS that throws most unit micro-management aside and puts the focuses on the big-picture “macro” decisions that once powered games like Command and Conquer and Total Annihilation.

Grey Goo controls will be strwamlined and all based off of the QWERTY row on your keyboard, like a MOBA.

Grey Goo will use a simple tiered menu system. So you have a choice of producing buildings, light units, heavies, air—and once you key into that next submenu, you get a new set of options using the same keys. So basically, you will never have to remember keys shortcuts like in old RTS. Those will be always qwerty.

No additional info is available yet, except a trailer and a few screenshots.

BUT classic RTS is returining. FUCK YEH. A new PC golden age is here, boys.

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (9622 posts) -

We have starcraft now. Nobody cares.

#3 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4937 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Starcraft and C&C-style games always coexisted.

#4 Posted by with_teeth26 (6226 posts) -

I always liked the classic CnC games way more than Starcraft, I'll watch this one closely.

#5 Posted by lostrib (39003 posts) -

I'm more excited about the possibility that Rise of nations might come to steam

#6 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Petroglyph haven't impressed me so far, I hope this is better then their previous crap

#7 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4937 posts) -

@Postal_Guy said:

Petroglyph haven't impressed me so far, I hope this is better then their previous crap

Yeh. They were doing a lot of online free-to-play in the past. But this time they go for a traditional PC RTS. And don't forget they made Universe at War: Earth Assault and Star Wars: Empire at War which were pretty solid games.

#8 Posted by WallofTruth (1774 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I'm more excited about the possibility that Rise of nations might come to steam

Whoa, where did you hear that? That would be amazing.

#9 Posted by WallofTruth (1774 posts) -

I'm really hyped for Grey Goo but I hate the name, it sound rather stupid. Too bad EA brutally raped and murdered the C&C franchise and too bad MS stopped making their amazing games like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations.

But at least Grey Goo seems to be a step in the right direction.

#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4256 posts) -

This game looks amazing . I really love old school genres .

#11 Posted by clyde46 (46793 posts) -

About time we got some stuff like this.

#12 Edited by RoccoHout (998 posts) -

I was hoping for a new C&C game... preferably Tiberium or Red Alert, not a boring Generals game.

I'll always welcome more RTS games, unlike FPS...

#13 Posted by adamosmaki (9684 posts) -

nice. About time to have something other than starcraft

This and planetery annihilation will make 2014 a rather interesting year for RTS

#14 Posted by -God- (466 posts) -

Another win for PC

#15 Posted by razu2444 (806 posts) -

I have not played a decent RTS game for ages. Hope this rocks. I hate the microcrap of starcraft.

#16 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43073 posts) -

That's an interesting name for a game.

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16963 posts) -

Petroglyph still makes games ?

That is awesome news.

#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16963 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

That's an interesting name for a game.

Apparently it's based on a pretty interesting concept.

#19 Posted by AdrianWerner (28064 posts) -

I'm really glad they're going back to classic RTS-es. All their other projects have been dissapointing. SW: Empire at War wasn't standard RTS, but it was truly great game with surprisingly longetivity. And now they will be going back to CnC roots? This could end up being incredible. With this and Planetary Annhilation it's good to see classic RTS-es coming back. The genre got almost non existent for the last few years.

#20 Posted by SamiRDuran (2694 posts) -

"Grey Goo controls will be strwamlined and all based off of the QWERTY row on your keyboard, like a MOBA."

Stopped reading there.

#21 Edited by AdrianWerner (28064 posts) -

@SamiRDuran said:

"Grey Goo controls will be strwamlined and all based off of the QWERTY row on your keyboard, like a MOBA."

Stopped reading there.

Why? CnC also has very streamlined controls. There are people who want dozens of keyboard shortcuts, but those people are best served with Starcraft II. Grey Goo won't put much emphasis on micromanagment, so there's no need for that.

#22 Posted by blangenakker (2440 posts) -

Shouldn't this be in the PC forum?

#23 Posted by IgGy621985 (4842 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

Shouldn't every Infamous/Halo/Mario/whatever news be in their platform specific forum then?

#24 Posted by Evo_nine (1757 posts) -

oh how I loved the original c&c.

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16963 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

oh how I loved the original c&c.

I would love another C&C. The last one looked interesting, but it shouldn't have gone F2P. It seems like every F2P RTS fails in some way (End of Nations, Age of Empires, C&C Generals)

Don't know what EA has planned for the series but I really hope they can just do a full fledged sequels. And doesn't try to make all their future PC exclusives failed MMOs, failed AO-DRM platforms or failed F2P games.

#26 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Meh. Petroglyph haven't done jack shit in the last few years.

Mytheon - ran for 6 months then shutdown and cancelled
End of Nations - co-developed with Trion Worlds, now cancelled
Rise of Immortals - ran for 8 months then shutdown and cancelled.
Victory - Kickstarted failed and cancelled. No new updates on the game; presumed cancelled.

Anyone seeing a pattern here? CANCELLED

#27 Posted by Boddicker (2879 posts) -

*crosses fingers for PS4 release*

#28 Posted by Motokid6 (5841 posts) -

@lostrib: RoN is coming to Steam? I wonder if itd be any different. ( graphics wise ) Because believe it or not i still have the original disks for RoN and Thrones and Patriots ( i think thats what the expansion was called ). AND the serial keys to boot. Which never happens lol.

This game here though looks very interesting. High hopes for it.

I just remembered.. wasnt there a third Rise of Nations? I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

#29 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7430 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@lostrib: RoN is coming to Steam? I wonder if itd be any different. ( graphics wise ) Because believe it or not i still have the original disks for RoN and Thrones and Patriots ( i think thats what the expansion was called ). AND the serial keys to boot. Which never happens lol.

This game here though looks very interesting. High hopes for it.

I just remembered.. wasnt there a third Rise of Nations? I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

If it's anything like Age of Empires 2 on the PC, the only graphics upgrade will be the resolution. The only reason to repurchase the game if you already own it and it works, other than the convenience of having it on your Steam dashboard, would be an active multiplayer. Which is a really good reason, as long as the multiplayer works well.

#30 Posted by hiphops_savior (7971 posts) -

@razu2444 said:

I have not played a decent RTS game for ages. Hope this rocks. I hate the microcrap of starcraft.

Have you tried Zerg? It's the least micro intensive of all the races.

#31 Edited by hiphops_savior (7971 posts) -

Technically, SC2 has qwerty layout as well.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/333891-thecore-lite-advanced-keyboard-layout

#32 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3922 posts) -

I'm interested.

#33 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16679 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

Rise of Legends? Someone gave me a free boxed copy of it although I have yet to install it.

#34 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4256 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

@razu2444 said:

Have you tried Zerg? It's the least micro intensive of all the races.

Meh . Terrans all the way ;-)

I love Starcraft .

#35 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

Looks interesting

#36 Posted by lawlessx (46842 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

@blangenakker said:

Shouldn't every Infamous/Halo/Mario/whatever news be in their platform specific forum then?

would be a very boring board if that were the case.

#37 Posted by blangenakker (2440 posts) -
@IgGy621985 said:

@blangenakker said:

Well the PC forum sure could do with some more topics. It's nearly a ghost town in there

#38 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (798 posts) -

Name is odd but I'm an RTS fan so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. It's all ways nice to have a new decent RTS series in the mix.

#39 Posted by ArisShadows (22664 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

We now have this and Starcraft. I care.

#40 Posted by freedomfreak (41384 posts) -
@ArisShadows said:

We now have this and Starcraft. I care.

Same here. That line of thinking can get people killed.

#41 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3922 posts) -

@blangenakker said:
@IgGy621985 said:

@blangenakker said:

Well the PC forum sure could do with some more topics. It's nearly a ghost town in there

It started dying a slow death as SW infested it.

The website update seems to have only furthered the desolation.

#42 Edited by hoplayletsplay (982 posts) -

So, where's my AoE2 substitute?

#43 Edited by Wasdie (50249 posts) -

So once End of Nations fell apart they went to make this? I'm not holding my breath.

I want to get hyped for some RTSs but Starcraft steals their thunder and basically renders them DOA.

#44 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16782 posts) -

What kind of name is Grey Goo?

#45 Posted by bulby_g (1177 posts) -

Looks good, very interested in this!