Civ: Beyond Earth Review. 7/10

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

DAYUUMMM, mega flop.

It's OK herms, accept the flop and move on.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

That sounds about right for what you expect from the first of any Civilization series.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

Sounds disastrous for the Civ franchise. I can't believe Firaxis crapped out such a turd.

no

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I'll still put in like a hundred times more hours into this game than I will into most games Gamespot will probably give a 9, so whatever.

gameplay per square inch=/=great game

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

The expansions will score higher no doubt but I did feel like the review was a bit light considering how much content is usual involved; either way I will pick it up because Civ5 was one of my most played games last gen.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Well, looks like PC gaming is dead again. Shame.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@smashed_pinata said:

DAYUUMMM, mega flop.

It's OK herms, accept the flop and move on.

I voted AAA for the game =(

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#59  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

if they have expansions come out it'll probably make this really good. I did like Civ 5 a lot, but once you get the expansions with it, it really completes the game... i couldn't play it without them now. Civ 3 was the same way, the expansion added so many more civilizations.

Its too bad they can't release the game great from the start instead of milking people for expansions later on. I haven't played this yet so maybe i'll like it more then i think i will.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Except Civ 5 was a 9/10 while this is a 7/10. I doubt people are going to be running out and buying a 7. It probably won't even get expansions. And after an unmitigated disaster like this Firaxis would probably be wise to just start working on the next Civ game.

Is Firaxis even a big studio? I could see them going under over a dud like this.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Sad panda. :(

hopefully they release some expansions to expand on the game like civ 5 did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#62 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

I'll still put in like a hundred times more hours into this game than I will into most games Gamespot will probably give a 9, so whatever.

It being Civ means its quality is already a given.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#63 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I didn't really have high hopes for it, since it's not part of the main series.

Perhaps after a few expansions, it will become the new Alpha Centauri and I shall play it then.

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

Played 2-5 and loved them. The GS video really did not look great to me. Cities being very easy to take over and units being killed by that sat strike (or whatever that was) was a let down. Ill wait a few days and check out some player reviews but for now :(

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

LOL at consolites implying any PC gamer hyped this. Where's the hype thread? I know 5 club had one. And please, continue to ignore the 82 on MC

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

I just read the GS review...who the hell is Nick Capozoli? A freelancer I assume, never heard of him.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'll wait until the expansions.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

Except Civ 5 was a 9/10 while this is a 7/10. I doubt people are going to be running out and buying a 7. It probably won't even get expansions. And after an unmitigated disaster like this Firaxis would probably be wise to just start working on the next Civ game.

Is Firaxis even a big studio? I could see them going under over a dud like this.

First things first, you don't run out and buy PC games. You sit down in a chair and download them.

Secondly, regarding Firaxis going under:

Loading Video...

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#69 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

lol @ the trolls in this thread. You guys really hate pc gamers eh.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

I called it.

Too much samey nonsense... and dumbding down of culture etc... I hold this to the same standard as other series.... if you launch the same(ish) game over and over again... but with less features than the last...... and have to wait for expansions to fill the gaps... you never deserve 9s... I felt this way about Civ V

Culture needs to have emphasis place on less....why? because it should matter less when they are I don't know...colonizing an alien planet. And cultural victories are simply idiotic, especially for this setting. Alpha Centauri never had one.

Both the Gamespot and IGN reviews are pure stupid. Its like the Gamespot reviewer wanted to play this game like Civ V.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 texasgoldrush

@-CC- said:

Played 2-5 and loved them. The GS video really did not look great to me. Cities being very easy to take over and units being killed by that sat strike (or whatever that was) was a let down. Ill wait a few days and check out some player reviews but for now :(

Good, no more stupid cities that take half an army out. Cities were too powerful in Civ V. Its called rely on other defenses instead of just the city itself.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

There is not a doubt in my mind that Civ is quality (i will be buying it), I'm merely saying that spending x amount of hours in a game doesn't inherently make it better. Plenty of games are simply built as time sinks by design, that however does not mean a 5-6 hour game is inherently worse because someone values gameplay per square inch over actual gameplay and design execution.

That said in a year with Endless Legend, Xenonauts, and Civilization Beyond Earth it's another solid year of strat titles on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#73  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

There is not a doubt in my mind that Civ is quality (i will be buying it), I'm merely saying that spending x amount of hours in a game doesn't inherently make it better. Plenty of games are simply built as time sinks by design, that however does not mean a 5-6 hour game is inherently worse because someone values gameplay per square inch over actual gameplay and design execution.

That said in a year with Endless Legend, Xenonauts, and Civilization Beyond Earth it's another solid year of strat titles on PC.

Yeah, I can agree with that easily. Quantity=/=Quality and all that jazz.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

This just gives me one more reason to not care about reviews

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Gigantic flop.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@mikhail said:

I just read the GS review...who the hell is Nick Capozoli? A freelancer I assume, never heard of him.

He's the absolute worst.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#77  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Just shows that Firaxis continue to make shallow garbage that just happens to be compulsive busywork with production values, when compared to legit strategy games from Stardock, Paradox or hell, even Amplitude.

Yet PC gamers will eat this up. Hermits are such a joke.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Dissapointing. Especially since it's not just one review. I think I will hold off for now, especially since ther have been so many good TBSes this year and will get this when the first add-on hits, which hopefully should fix the issues and put more meat on it's bones.

All this makes me sad Paradox never tried to take their EuropaUniversalis engine into SF genre.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 AdrianWerner

@bigfootpart2 said:

Except Civ 5 was a 9/10 while this is a 7/10. I doubt people are going to be running out and buying a 7.

I doubt most Civ's audience is concerned about scores. And the sales will depend on add-ons. That's how Civ sells those ridiculous numnbers. THey never get big right out the door, but regular big meaty add-ons and collected re-releases keep the sales on steady level for 5 or more years. So there definitely will be at least one expanion pack and the remaining development will depend on how the main game will sell with this add-on out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

It's funny how people are pretending that 7 is a bad score, especially when it's got much higher scores elsewhere.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AdrianWerner

@toast_burner said:

It's funny how people are pretending that 7 is a bad score, especially when it's got much higher scores elsewhere.

It is a bad score for this game. It's like Zelda getting an 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@AdrianWerner said:

@toast_burner said:

It is a bad score for this game. It's like Zelda getting an 7

Yes it is low for the series. But a not as great civ game is still a great game. And lets be honest, it's still better than what Civ 5 was at launch, that game didn't deserve the scores it got.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:

A Flop is a flop deal with it

Still better than Destiny. 7 > 6

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 texasgoldrush

@AdrianWerner said:

Dissapointing. Especially since it's not just one review. I think I will hold off for now, especially since ther have been so many good TBSes this year and will get this when the first add-on hits, which hopefully should fix the issues and put more meat on it's bones.

All this makes me sad Paradox never tried to take their EuropaUniversalis engine into SF genre.

No, except for the AI, which can be tweaked, reviewers are idiots.

They whine about how similar this game is to Civ V, when really, it plays far differently outside of combat. Why don't I just say that Alpha Centuari is too close to Civ 2? By reviewer logic, I can do this.

And Gamespot whining about not having a cultural victory and having more of a military focus and IGN whining about the aliens, its so stupid.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#85 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@faizanhd: apparently if it doesn't score a 9 or 10 system wars fan boys will say it sucks and a flop. The same fools were saying that about the last of us too a game with over 200 9-10 scores. You'll say you like game x and they will say "ewe you like that flop".. so immature.

Then you have GameSpot who gives good games bad scores or bad games good scores, or gives games with big marketing instant 9s, how many crappie COD games got 9 here.... I could go on and on about this site's bad reviews but I wont. I don't listen to them anyway, as I play a lot of games rated 5-6 here (dynasty warriors etc...)

What gets me is the morons who flack people for liking a game that GameSpot gave a bad review, sometimes it's like being in junior high around here.. they will not buy a game because of th is site, yet tons of other publications say game x is great.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#86  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmm I am playing this and so far it seems good. I just clicked Play Now. I'm at turn 80 or so. Going slow, seeing how things work. My cities have not been attacked yet so I don't know whether they fall quickly. I do see a few things that would make them stronger. The diplomacy SEEMS better to some degree... I SEEM to be able to have an actual alliance so far with 2 other civs which never happened to me in Civ V or IV unless I gave them essentially everything I had... They are still very reluctant when I ask for open borders or so, even after having a good trading relationship for quite a while.

I'm enjoying it. I heard some stuff about the aliens being impossible to deal with. Maybe that is a thing on higher difficulties (something pro players run into).
So far it seems like a cool game to me.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I tried V and didn't like it. It didn't capture my interest so I dont think the series as a whole is for me.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Gah missed this somehow when I was looking ... Sad about the score, but seems some legit gripes about the gameplay. At least you know fixes will be on the way (at some point). Happy to wait on buying this for a bit :)

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Gah missed this somehow when I was looking ... Sad about the score, but seems some legit gripes about the gameplay. At least you know fixes will be on the way (at some point). Happy to wait on buying this for a bit :)

And people wonder why SW is a mess... even mods get confused with it! XD

For such a major flop this thread had no bloomin replies. I looked through 3 bloody pages and somehow didn't see it! lol

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Wait, this is a SW flop? O.o? Was there even hype?

Dunno if there was a hype thread, but the hype was certainly above an A, so I'd say defo a flop.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

bought this last night and played about an hour. fine so far. the quests thing is different.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#95 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

I've never played any CIV games before, but this had my attention. Might get it when the price drops.