Cinematic director from Epic joins BlackTusk Gears team

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

The guy who directed the video sequences in the Gears of War games at developer Epic is back working on the franchise at Microsoft.

Greg M. Mitchell has left Epic Games, according to a post on Twitter. He revealed that he is joining the new Microsoft team Black Tusk Studio, which is making the next Gears of War game. Mitchell held the title of director of cinematics and video at Epic, and he’ll likely do something similar at Black Tusk. Gears of War is one of Microsoft’s biggest exclusive franchises, and it is building up its team to ensure that fans welcome the first entry in the series on Xbox One.

In January 2014, Microsoft made a deal with Epic to fully acquire the rights to Gears of War. This gives the Xbox company complete control over the franchise going forward, and Microsoft immediately brought on former Gears of War director Rod Fergusson to oversee the project. Fergusson also runs the Black Tusk studio, which Microsoft formed in Vancouver specifically to make the new Gears of War.

This is a similar model that Microsoft used with Halo, where the company started its developer 343 Industries to take over the reins on that property after the original developer, Bungie, gained its independence from Microsoft.

By bringing back both Fergusson and Mitchell, Microsoft is clearly trying to keep Gears of War’s core in place. And it obviously would want that, as the previous games were among the best-selling releases on the Xbox 360.

“The Gears of War franchise has a very strong, passionate, and valued fan base,” Xbox boss Phil Spencer said in a statement in 2014. “Over 22 million units have been sold across all Gears of War titles worldwide, grossing over $1 billion. This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the Gears of War universe.”

I think that's good that they want to rekindle some of the original chemistry by having the original trilogy's producer at the helm and now they have acquired the cinematics director. Hopefully the game will live up to the originals as well as transcends them, as we need a new gameplay leap in this generation.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

O_O Microsoft is coming out swinging holy shizz

sony what u got? holy crap gj MS gj

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Good news, new Gears gonna cause major Xbox anti fan SW tears, no doubt about it. :P

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Good for him.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Cinematics was never gear's strong suite.

I wouldn't think too much of it...... Infact I think this is a bad sign.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

So the guy who worked on the worst aspects of the gears games is joining the Epic Tribute Band? I'm not seeing much of a positive here.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

So the guy who worked on the worst aspects of the gears games is joining the Epic Tribute Band? I'm not seeing much of a positive here.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Cinematics was never gear's strong suite.

I wouldn't think too much of it...... Infact I think this is a bad sign.

I tend to agree, but maybe it's because the story itself was paper thin, maybe with better scripts, he'd be able to create something better, especially given the fact that the graphics quality was never the issue there.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

They better make some good gameplay before they decide to throw money at something that never mattered in gears..... seriously...... a brand new studio taking on the project of following up one of the Best TPS's...... if this doesn't turn out to be as good because they were dicking around trying to make better cutscenes then they won't have anybody's sympathy...... they better not **** up..... I'm already unhappy Epic Games sold out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

It's funny how Microsoft adds upon their first party studios instead of the other way around.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I would just like a good game. A solid title with a great story and good gameplay.

Black Tusk need to be careful this doesnt turn into Gears of 1886. Substance over style, but both would be amazing.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ProtossX said:

O_O Microsoft is coming out swinging holy shizz

sony what u got? holy crap gj MS gj

Well, so there was this.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I still wish MS would have let them complete the project they were working on instead of having them abandon it.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I thought Lemmings hated to play movie-like games?

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#14 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

The Gears game are hardly remembered for their cinematics. Though the Dom death scene never fails to get a chuckle out of me. And the ending to 3, lololol.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Get your boots ready for some curb stompin'.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

“The Gears of War franchise has a very strong, passionate, and valued fan base,” Xbox boss Phil Spencer said in a statement in 2014.

That's why they deserve a robotic response.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

There were cutscenes in Gears? I faintly remember men grunting and women grunting.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Smart move really. This will assure that whatever new ideas they implement in this new Gears will not feel like a complete 180 degree turn on the previous ones (in theory of course). Good news for the fans I think!

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

The cutscenes in the gears games are actually quite well done.