Chris Taylor to Hermits: YOUR INDUSTRY IS DYING BECAUSE OF PIRACY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

The only reason these piracy statistics aren't available for the 360 is because microsoft can't detect who is playing pirated software, and who isn't. On the other hand, you are forced to buy PC games if you want to play online, or don't want to bother waiting for updated cracks. Yah... in fact, I've always found piracy on the console to be leagues easier.

Heck... you know how much it costs to pirate a 360? $0-$20. All you need is a access to a sata port on your PC.

Mizarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Mizarus
Member since 2004 • 1379 Posts
why instead of complaning the devs dont learn from blizz and vavle? people donte pirate Blizzard games because of how great battle.net is, and dont pirate Vavle games because even tho Steam is crackble its too much of a hassle and you wont be able to play on 99% of the servers, thus giving your spent money more value, if all devs did something like that we would have way less pirating then we do these days, not to mention PS2 and 360 piriting are HUGE on my country, you can accuatly buy modded consoles at some retailers, so i woudnt say the problem is the pc..
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
why is it that ppl can't pirate RTSs? what a load of crock. maybe it's because RTSs often have less system requirements than a game like crysis does.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

why is it that ppl can't pirate RTSs? what a load of crock. maybe it's because RTSs often have less system requirements than a game like crysis does.Ontain

They can. However, people play RTSs online... which means they need a legit key. Otherwise the authentication servers wouldn't let them play. Unless you want to play on a "cracked" server, which has like a handful of awful players who are all unskilled pirates. However, even doing that would take time.

The same goes with any online game.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
why is it that ppl can't pirate RTSs? what a load of crock. maybe it's because RTSs often have less system requirements than a game like crysis does.Ontain
Its not that people can't pirate RTS games, its that they don't choose to pirate RTS games. The reason is simple, most recent RTS games have been unique and amazing. PC gamers respect games without DRM and that are unique.
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

"Chris Taylor: Well one of the key things that is really affecting the economics and the success of gaming in general is piracy on the PC. So one of the reasons we'll see RTSs on the console is because people can't pirate it. That's why we're going to see a lot more of everything on the console. When you look at the sales of really hardcore games like Crysis and you think, "Wow, those games should have sold a lot more," you realize that's probably due in large part to piracy. And you realize that a game like Crysis would have done its true numbers if it had launched on console first."

Hermits please do not attempt to spin this into "buh ma fren g0t 360 torrentz lol". Console game piracy is nowhere near as bad as PC game piracy in numbers and impact.

So now two PC gaming stalwarts have released statements like this EPIC and GAS POWERED GAMES.

Is it starting to sink in yet hermits? You can't keep eating free or there won't be any food to go around.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/853/853261p1.html

JiveT

I am sorry, but piracy DOES NOT hurt sales. People that download a game for free are not costing sales just simply making developers angry. It does not hurt their pocket book. A pirate that downloads a game and plays it from start to finish would have never bought the game to begin with. MOST pirates download a full game just to get a better idea of how the finished game plays before they buy. The HARD truth is that there are alot of bad games (UT3 and Gears) that just are simply not worth owning on PC. Those are two EXTREMELY consolized games. Piracy is simply a copout for developers that make bad games. You won't see games like HL2 from Valve or Crysis from Crytek selling bad because they are actually worth your money. Sure you can pirate those, but like I said before piracy literally has ZERO effect on the developers pocketbook. Big games coming up that will sell EXTREMELY well on PC are Guild Wars 2, Duke Nukem Forever (this one will probably rival Halo 3 on 360), and Spore. Epic and all the other bed wetting developers need to learn a thing or two from developers who make good games.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
PC Gaming has been dying since the early 90's, strange how we are still around huh ;)
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26236245

Thread/

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MadExponent
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

"Chris Taylor: Well one of the key things that is really affecting the economics and the success of gaming in general is piracy on the PC. So one of the reasons we'll see RTSs on the console is because people can't pirate it. That's why we're going to see a lot more of everything on the console. When you look at the sales of really hardcore games like Crysis and you think, "Wow, those games should have sold a lot more," you realize that's probably due in large part to piracy. And you realize that a game like Crysis would have done its true numbers if it had launched on console first."

Hermits please do not attempt to spin this into "buh ma fren g0t 360 torrentz lol". Console game piracy is nowhere near as bad as PC game piracy in numbers and impact.

So now two PC gaming stalwarts have released statements like this EPIC and GAS POWERED GAMES.

Is it starting to sink in yet hermits? You can't keep eating free or there won't be any food to go around.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/853/853261p1.html

MadExponent

I am sorry, but piracy DOES NOT hurt sales. People that download a game for free are not costing sales just simply making developers angry. It does not hurt their pocket book. A pirate that downloads a game and plays it from start to finish would have never bought the game to begin with. MOST pirates download a full game just to get a better idea of how the finished game plays before they buy. The HARD truth is that there are alot of bad games (UT3 and Gears) that just are simply not worth owning on PC. Those are two EXTREMELY consolized games. Piracy is simply a copout for developers that make bad games. You won't see games like HL2 from Valve or Crysis from Crytek selling bad because they are actually worth your money. Sure you can pirate those, but like I said before piracy literally has ZERO effect on the developers pocketbook. Big games coming up that will sell EXTREMELY well on PC are Guild Wars 2, Duke Nukem Forever (this one will probably rival Halo 3 on 360), and Spore. Epic and all the other bed wetting developers need to learn a thing or two from developers who make good games.

More on this...

I want to mention that I do not condone piracy. I am just telling the truth while the developers lie. I fully support the developers right to go after pirates for stealing their intellectual properties, but I laugh when I hear dumb people say that it hurts sales. It does NOT hurt sales.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MadExponent

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26236245

Thread/

Killfox

Yeah I saw that. STEAM is pretty much the driving force behind that. I hope that smart developers out there catch on that STEAM is pretty much the best way to get their product out to PC gamers. I prefer DD over a physical copy of a game any day.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

My how the hermits turn on their former heroes. First Cliffy B and now Chris Taylor have been thrown into the "bad devs who don't know what they are talking about" bin.

Sorry but these guys know how their business is being impacted by this a lot more than hermits on a message board who probably haven't BOUGHT a PC game in years and argue that piracy is a good thing. :|

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Vandalvideo

My how the hermits turn on their former heroes. First Cliffy B and now Chris Taylor have been thrown into the "bad devs who don't know what they are talking about" bin.

Sorry but these guys know how their business is being impacted by this a lot more than hermits on a message board who probably haven't BOUGHT a PC game in years and argue that piracy is a good thing. :|

JiveT
They know their business SOO much that they not only insulted PC gamers by insinuating they pirate their games, not only did they give us a rehashed game with bad console interfaces, but they also had the audacity to say that PC gaming is dieing after having already incurred out wrath.
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts

Hermits please do not attempt to spin this into "buh ma fren g0t 360 torrentz lol".

JiveT

Do you know how easy it is to Mod a X360 or Wii?

elbow2k

Haha.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MadExponent

JiveT

What you don't understand is that WE the PC gamers turned our back on them not the other way around. We love ya while you make good games worth our money and we don't give you the time of day when you don't. That is how it really works. UT3 absolutely sucked and it had console written all over it so naturally it didn't sell well. Supreme Commander was dubbed one of the best RTS's ever. Well guess what? World in Conflict and C&C3 crap ALLLLL over Supreme Commander. You see when you have competition things change. If your product doesn't stack up to another yours doesn't sell as well. Sorry Cliffy B and Chris Taylor. Loved your games in the past, but the past is the past, and your good games just do not stack up to the games that spoil us rotten now. The TRUTH hurts.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

Hermits please do not attempt to spin this into "buh ma fren g0t 360 torrentz lol".

mmogoon

elbow2k

Haha.

That's basically the equivalent of a creationist saying "evolutionists please do not attempt to spin this into 'buh teh fosle rekerd!'" >_>
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Hermits to Chris Taylor: HOW ABOUT DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

_Pedro_

They would rather cry about it.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MadExponent
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

Vandalvideo

They know their business SOO much that they not only insulted PC gamers by insinuating they pirate their games, not only did they give us a rehashed game with bad console interfaces, but they also had the audacity to say that PC gaming is dieing after having already incurred out wrath.

Just because of what they said about PC gaming I am pretty much never going to buy one of their products ever again regardless of whether or not it is good or not. I will not buy Gears 2. I will not buy any upcoming Chris Taylor game nor will I buy a Gas Powered Game.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MadExponent
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

Killfox

They would rather cry about it.

Exactly. Why can't they just make games that appeal to PC gamers and we will buy their games like crazy. I did not buy UT3 or Supreme Commander. I knew both of those games were gonna suck after playing around with betas/demos.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

JiveT

They have never been my heroes. Brian Fargo, Julian Le Fay, Chris Avellone, Will Wright...those are my gaming heroes.

Besides that, what in the nine hells was the point of this thread? To troll? I think so. As a person who likes PC gaming the most but respects console gamers and their right to play on a console; a person who dislikes elitism from both sides of the fence...I feel disgusted. You're either 10 years old or really immature because threads like these and people like you are the reason why PC gamers and console gamers are so divided.

Perhaps if these devs would stop trying to make games that appeal to a wider audience and focus more on the niche market we would see less pirating from those that pirate only to experience what little quality games nowadays generally have to offer.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

Chris Taylor, I'm a fan of SupCom and eagerly await Demigod. Why must you break my heart so much? :(

Oh well. *Boycotts Gas Powered Games*

Seriously, though, Chris Taylor's comments is a slap across the face of every PC gamer that supported games like TA, Dungeon Siege and Supcom. It's basically giving a middle finger to an entire player base that made the company what it is.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

Can't pirate console games? HAH what a card...Besides PC gaming has suposedly been dying since the dawn of time and yet it keeps on going strong year after year.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
what is funny is that despite that supposed "lack of RTS piracy on consoles" those console RTSes still sell 3 or 4 times worse than their pc versions
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Seriously, though, Chris Taylor's comments is a slap across the face of every PC gamer that supported games like TA, Dungeon Siege and Supcom. It's basically giving a middle finger to an entire player base that made the company what it is.

Redmoonxl2

I agree and I find it rather insulting aswell, but what I really can't seem to understand is why the only thing they seem capable of doing is whine? How about taking action like Valve, Blizzard and EA have done. Try and come up with new ways of making money without hurting your playerbase doing so.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

what is funny is that despite that supposed "lack of RTS piracy on consoles" those console RTSes still sell 3 or 4 times worse than their pc versionsAdrianWerner

link?

Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
i think piracy actually helps if you think about it
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Piracy is an empty figure, you cannot lose money from something you never got money for.. Basically its a excuse for companies wanting to go over to the console platforms because they get money faster on the short term.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="JiveT"]

MadExponent

Just because of what they said about PC gaming I am pretty much never going to buy one of their products ever again regardless of whether or not it is good or not. I will not buy Gears 2. I will not buy any upcoming Chris Taylor game nor will I buy a Gas Powered Game.

Yeah, these developers are making a pretty bold move by speaking againts PC gaming. If they aren't making another PC game I guess that's all fine and tandy, but if they are ..well, they pretty much just killed their sales for any future PC games as well as encouraged pirating of their software. PC gamers aren't like console gamers, we follow the gaming industry via forums and news like this spread like wildfire. It's obvious with the failures of GFWL titles and console ports that you can't fool PC gamers. Get a bad rep; suffer the consequences.

As for SupCom not selling that well on PC, well, once again, it was a high requirement game, it takes a really beefy rig to max it out. It was also released at the same time as CnC3, which was a million seller. It was also a hardcore title targeted to veteran RTS players, a niche audience. Wow... I wonder why it didn't sell.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MadExponent

Chris Taylor, I'm a fan of SupCom and eagerly await Demigod. Why must you break my heart so much? :(

Redmoonxl2

Exactly. This is why Epic is basically a Piece of $hit to me now. We made them who they are. They owe EVERYTHING to us. EVERYTHING.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Hm....how many millions of copies do you think Starcraft 2 will sell....hmmmm..I wonder if great games sell better than good games and poor games...hmmm..

Also, to the OP, don't go around an accuse GS members of piracy, that's offensive to begin with. I purchase all my games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

MadExponent

Exactly. This is why Epic is basically a Piece of $hit to me now. We made them who they are. They owe EVERYTHING to us. EVERYTHING.

Welcome to capitalism.. First and foremost these businesses goals are to make as much profit as possible.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MadExponent

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]what is funny is that despite that supposed "lack of RTS piracy on consoles" those console RTSes still sell 3 or 4 times worse than their pc versionsJiveT

link?

You go look it up. If you care enough to make an argument go look it up otherwise just sit back and watch PC gamers talk about this pile of bs that is streaming out of the mouths of these dumb assed developers.

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

Or Maybe you suddenly forgot about the Nintendo losing a billion dollars due to piracy?

Fast fact, do some googling before you pin point PC gaming as the only guilty culprit of piracy.

I've lost all respect for CliffyB, he might as well go sell himself to Microsoft before PC gamer start saying "Who's that guy? Someone else Microsoft paid off to promote their system?". Besides Crysis selling a million copies in three months, isn't too shabby if you ask me. :|

elbow2k

PC piracy is far more easier. Modding an X-box 360 or a Wii might be easy but you don't have to mod anything on your PC. You just download the game and play it. Nintendo might have lost a billion dollars but just look how many games they make and they also have 2 platforms. I also presume that the loss of income due to piracy on PC is actually more than for Nintendo. Heck, I'd even believe that EA is losing more than Nintendo, solely on PC.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]what is funny is that despite that supposed "lack of RTS piracy on consoles" those console RTSes still sell 3 or 4 times worse than their pc versionsJiveT

link?

CnC3 on 360 still hasn't reached 500K, while on PC it sold over 1mln copies in two months

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Vandalvideo
PC piracy is far more easier. Modding an X-box 360 or a Wii might be easy but you don't have to mod anything on your PC. You just download the game and play it. Nintendo might have lost a billion dollars but just look how many games they make and they also have 2 platforms. I also presume that the loss of income due to piracy on PC is actually more than for Nintendo. Heck, I'd even believe that EA is losing more than Nintendo, solely on PC.Supafly1
Piracy is far more complicated than just downloading a game and playing. There are tons of DRMs out there on games that perevent that sort of thing. PC gaming piracy isn't exactly something the layman can do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="elbow2k"]

Or Maybe you suddenly forgot about the Nintendo losing a billion dollars due to piracy?

Fast fact, do some googling before you pin point PC gaming as the only guilty culprit of piracy.

I've lost all respect for CliffyB, he might as well go sell himself to Microsoft before PC gamer start saying "Who's that guy? Someone else Microsoft paid off to promote their system?". Besides Crysis selling a million copies in three months, isn't too shabby if you ask me. :|

Supafly1

PC piracy is far more easier. Modding an X-box 360 or a Wii might be easy but you don't have to mod anything on your PC. You just download the game and play it. Nintendo might have lost a billion dollars but just look how many games they make and they also have 2 platforms. I also presume that the loss of income due to piracy on PC is actually more than for Nintendo. Heck, I'd even believe that EA is losing more than Nintendo, solely on PC.

Nintendo did not lose billions of dollars.. They would first have to have it to begin with.. But they did not.. As I said earlier its still the age old question of A) would they have bought it to begin with? B)Did they even have the funds or access to getting it if there was no piracy?

People need to realize that these are businesses.. They will say anything and everything to maximize their profits...

I also would like to add that two games, both no copy write protection, Galactiic Civilization 2 and most recent Sins ofa Solar empire are selling huge amounts.. Sure some people are probably pirating it, but its a empty figure and it shows that a company can gain huge profits with piracy.. Piracy as I said again is a "what if" figure.. You can not equate it to a direct loss.. Its stupid to even suggest that.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

JiveT

They want to have an excuse to sell more copies without just saying it out loud. It's quite simple. PC piracy has always been around, this is nothing new that all of a sudden is perceived to be a problem. It's an excuse. Because of consoles and their nature of accessibility and their rather subpar standards that their userbase have in comparison, it's an untapped gold mine in the eyes of publishers.

Still, Supcom on PC is the way it's meant to be played, not on a TV with a gamepad. They can release every PC Game on console, it doesn't mean the experience is now better on console. PC Gamers have gaming rigs for a reason, otherwise, we would have consoles, right? What do you think the reason is? It's a much better form of gaming in people's point of view, and I happen to agree with that.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

[QUOTE="Ontain"]why is it that ppl can't pirate RTSs? what a load of crock. maybe it's because RTSs often have less system requirements than a game like crysis does.rimnet00

They can. However, people play RTSs online... which means they need a legit key. Otherwise the authentication servers wouldn't let them play. Unless you want to play on a "cracked" server, which has like a handful of awful players who are all unskilled pirates. However, even doing that would take time.

The same goes with any online game.

does crysis need a legit key to play online?

also the arguement that ppl buy the RTSs for more than single player and to play on official servers just shows me that pc games do sell when pc gamers think it's worth getting. thus loses due to piracy are overinflated since many wouldn't have bought the game even if they couldn't pirate it.

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 VoodooGamer

I just read that article about CliffyBs opinion on PC gaming, and I have to agree. To me it doesn't sound as if hes dissing PC gamers but rather the state of PC games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked for Fallout 3, Dragon Age, and Starcraft 2 but generally PC gaming isn't doing all that great. And, it's because of the developers. They think they can force feed us RPGs that partly appeal to the FPS consumer and think we'll be happy. We wont. Oblivion while being a good game suffers from lack of RPG elements that made Morrowind and Daggerfall great. It's actiony and definitely appeals to the crowd that doesn't want to "think" for the most part.

That's just one example of how PC gaming is going downhill. However, if Starcraft 2, Fallout 3, and Dragon Age are anything to go by then I'll definitely have more hope. Overall I still prefer PC gaming. Team Fortress 2, Company of Heroes, and Sins of a Solar Empire are all made of win so I'm still in.:)

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Vandalvideo

I just read that article about CliffyBs opinion on PC gaming, and I have to agree. To me it doesn't sound as if hes dissing PC gamers but rather the state of PC games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked for Fallout 3, Dragon Age, and Starcraft 2 but generally PC gaming isn't doing all that great. And, it's because of the developers. They think they can force feed us RPGs that partly appeal to the FPS consumer and think we'll be happy. We wont. Oblivion while being a good game suffers from lack of RPG elements that made Morrowind and Daggerfall great. It's actiony and definitely appeals to the crowd that doesn't want to "think" for the most part.

That's just one example of how PC gaming is going downhill. However, if Starcraft 2, Fallout 3, and Dragon Age are anything to go by then I'll definitely have more hope. Overall I still prefer PC gaming. Team Fortress 2, Company of Heroes, and Sins of a Solar Empire are all made of win so I'm still in.:)

VoodooGamer
Except that htere have been tons of unqiue games that have come out recently, and that the PC astill has the highest number of exclusive highly rated titles. The PC isn't going down hill.
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MadExponent
[QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

sSubZerOo

Welcome to capitalism.. First and foremost these businesses goals are to make as much profit as possible.

I completely understand capitalism. Hell I am probably one of the most outspoken supporters of The Fair Tax on GS Forums. I am just saying why would they bad mouth PC gaming? It hurts them when they do it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-59d151f079814

VoodooGamer

Unfortantely this is coming from a guy who released UT3 which for all intensive purposes bombed compared to the old ones, and it was epics supposed huge product they were working on.. This seems too soon after that to be a concidence, honestly I think he is just using it as a scapegoat to explain to stock holders on the state of UT3...

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 VoodooGamer
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]

Vandalvideo

Except that htere have been tons of unqiue games that have come out recently, and that the PC astill has the highest number of exclusive highly rated titles. The PC isn't going down hill.

Well, I probably should have clarified my opinion more after reading my post. I think that for the most part, these devs have the wrong idea. They think that making a game as accessable as possible is a good thing and I don't agree. I think RPGs should generally be accessable to the RPG crowd and FPS to the FPS crowd not this mixing crap to sell more copies. In the end, I think it detracts from the overall game. Bioshock proves you can mix styles while still being good but when I want to play an RPG, I wan't an RPG.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MadExponent
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

MadExponent

I completely understand capitalism. Hell I am probably one of the most outspoken supporters of The Fair Tax on GS Forums. I am just saying why would they bad mouth PC gaming? It hurts them when they do it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

More on this though...

Maybe Cliffy B doesn't understand capitalism cause his game sold poorly due to the quality of the game. Epic's competition sold much better.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"]

VoodooGamer

Well, I probably should have clarified my opinion more after reading my post. I think that for the most part, these devs have the wrong idea. They think that making a game as accessable as possible is a good thing and I don't agree. I think RPGs should generally be accessable to the RPG crowd and FPS to the FPS crowd not this mixing crap to sell more copies. In the end, I think it detracts from the overall game. Bioshock proves you can mix styles while still being good but when I want to play an RPG, I wan't an RPG.

Unfortunately these devs don't seem to understand the difference between PC and console gaming. They make a game for consoles, and then wonder why it doesn't sell on PC. Good example of this is Oblivion, it was a huge title, but first and foremost it was a console title. Now I dunno how much it sold on PC, but I think it's safe to assume that The Witcher, a PC title targeted for PC gamers outsold it. Making a game on console terms automatically hurts PC sales, that's a given, but for some reason these devs don't want to accept that, they want to have the cake AND eat it, meaning they want both the console sales as well as PC sales, that's just not gonna happen unless you're Valve.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

MadExponent

More on this though...

Maybe Cliffy B doesn't understand capitalism cause his game sold poorly due to the quality of the game. Epic's competition sold much better.

I agree.

Example is GeoW. Sure it'll be loved and cherished by 360 gamers but PC gamers had different standards obviously. Cliffy B think that it'll just be as good of an outcome as the 360 version if he just adds in a map editor and a few new chapters. But as it shows that PC gamers found the QUALITY of the game to be average compared to what they usually play and therefore he's looking for a scapegoat.

I used to respect Epic games when they were making quality games. But after UT3 I can't see myself buying a game from them anymore. Cliffy B needs to step up and understand that PC gamers don't tolerate rehashes.

Holden1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Holden1985
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
End of the day you can't play online which is a massive part of alot of games and where they ever gonna buy the games anyway same with movies music etc.
Lazy_not_fat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Lazy_not_fat
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
accusing pc gamers of piracy is bad now? if pc gamers dont pirate pc games, who will? yeah, guys, its not insulting, its the truth.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Vandalvideo
accusing pc gamers of piracy is bad now? if pc gamers dont pirate pc games, who will? yeah, guys, its not insulting, its the truth.Lazy_not_fat
Oh really, its the truth huh? Why don't you prove that then. PC gaming piracy has been around forever. Its not a huge issue. Heck, piracy cost Nintendo BILLIONS last year. Oh no console gaming is dieing.
Lazy_not_fat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Lazy_not_fat
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
[QUOTE="Lazy_not_fat"]accusing pc gamers of piracy is bad now? if pc gamers dont pirate pc games, who will? yeah, guys, its not insulting, its the truth.Vandalvideo
Oh really, its the truth huh? Why don't you prove that then. PC gaming piracy has been around forever. Its not a huge issue. Heck, piracy cost Nintendo BILLIONS last year. Oh no console gaming is dieing.

no no, haha, sorry, i meant it's true that pc gamers pirate pc games. not that pc gaming is dieing. My B.