Child of Light scores an 8 at GS, 9.3 at IGN

• 79 results
#1 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Official GS Review = 8

Official IGN Review = 9.3

"Child of Light is a lovely adventure, a journey as remarkable as it is uncommon, that left me grappling with my own sadness."

THE GOOD

* Somber tone is wonderful in its sadness

* Beautiful score perfectly complements the action

* Sharp combat demands quick thinking and acting

* Lovely artistic design continually amazes

THE BAD

* [nothing listed :o, should have scored a 9 imo]

Can't wait, this looks amazing, launches tomorrow on pretty much everything, only $15US!

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25933 posts) -

Eggs-cellent.

#3 Edited by Blabadon (25933 posts) -

Eggs-cellent.

#4 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11114 posts) -

That really look amazing..

#5 Posted by inb4uall (5350 posts) -

Nah games with no flaws get 8's on gamespot. walking simulators that feature homosexuals get 9's.

#6 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

I think @TheEroica was pumped for this? Solid score, will get for PS4. :D

#7 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

See ?

Thats the power of Co-Op ! :D

#8 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@ inb4uall

Is that a Journey referrence ? :o

#9 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

looks promising.

Sounds more like a 9 to me however, whenever a game has no negatives, or very little negligible ones listed and still gets docked points, I just don't know what to think.

#10 Posted by hiphops_savior (7857 posts) -

Kirby: Triple Deluxe / 3DS

The Good
Wonderfully inventive levels that make great use of 3D
Gorgeous visuals and soundtrack
Slick controls and feel
Loads of secrets to discover and content to unlock

The Bad

Great
About GameSpot's Reviews
Child of Light isn't alone in that regard, apparently.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (87658 posts) -

I'm not sure how Gamespot can give out a less-than-10 score and not find anything wrong or "bad" about the game. Just seems like they aren't trying to criticize it enough but still being numerically critical.

#12 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

@ inb4uall

Pretty sure he was referring to Gone Home.

#13 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

This is gonna be me playing this game :(

#14 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6985 posts) -

I'm pretty excited about this game. It's one of my most anticipated games of 2014.

#15 Edited by BattleSpectre (5963 posts) -

Shouldn't it have scored a 10 if it had no bad points? Silly Gamespot.

#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

Wow the combat system reminds me of Grandia. although you don't move around the field.

#17 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26341 posts) -

Game sure does look pretty but also looks boring.Im suprised no bad points since well GS always has at least 1.

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (7173 posts) -

Already paid for, looks great.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@ ReadingRainbow4

Well unlike Gone Home.... This actually a game. As for the Homosexuals.... I wana see more of them.....

#20 Edited by nini200 (9602 posts) -

This game was made for the Gamepad or WiiMote and Nunchuck

I will be enjoying this game

#21 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Wow the combat system reminds me of Grandia. although you don't move around the field.

The devs have actually been quoted saying that the combat system is taken from Grandia 2.

#22 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4517 posts) -

How about we all play it first before we judge.

#23 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

Doesn't seem like my kind of game, but I might get it on sale

#24 Posted by Vaasman (11240 posts) -

"Child of Light is a wonderfully realized, somber adventure, and I couldn't be happier that such a game exists."

8/10

"Triple Deluxe is an absolute diamond of a game, and cements Kirby's place as nothing less than a bone fide platforming superstar."

8/10

What the fuck. Does the score even mean anything anymore?

#25 Edited by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

"Child of Light is a wonderfully realized, somber adventure, and I couldn't be happier that such a game exists."

8/10

"Triple Deluxe is an absolute diamond of a game, and cements Kirby's place as nothing less than a bone fide platforming superstar."

8/10

games don't start at a 10 and then get deductions. It got an 8 as a great game

#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@ Vaasman

Nope..... Its just a number..... Its not even a good way to represent an oppinion, let alone a review.

#27 Edited by cfisher2833 (1581 posts) -

I am just waiting for the vid to finish buffering. I swear, McShea's reviews can be cringe-inducing at times. Good to see it got a decent score.

#28 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -
@Vaasman said:

Does the score even mean anything anymore?

mate

i don't think so

#29 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The devs have actually been quoted saying that the combat system is taken from Grandia 2.

Awesome!

Now I just hope the game isn't short.

#30 Edited by bbkkristian (14943 posts) -

Here's my biggest dilemma:

PS4 or Wii U?

#31 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26341 posts) -

wow I just saw the video review and this dude came off corny and a bit overly dramatic.

#32 Posted by lightleggy (15904 posts) -

I'm really beginning to hate this whole "not listing negative points yet it's not a perfect game" approach GS editors have been taking lately...

It simply comes out as sloppy, if you cant name any negative points in your review then that means the game is perfect, thus should get a 10, so why give the game an 8 if it has no negative stuff in it? It's really like saying "this thing is like this simply because I say so", without giving any explanation.

Even the MGS4 review (which was given a 10) has negative points listed in it.

#33 Posted by toast_burner (21427 posts) -

I'm really beginning to hate this whole "not listing negative points yet it's not a perfect game" approach GS editors have been taking lately...

It simply comes out as sloppy, if you cant name any negative points in your review then that means the game is perfect, thus should get a 10, so why give the game an 8 if it has no negative stuff in it? It's really like saying "this thing is like this simply because I say so", without giving any explanation.

Even the MGS4 review (which was given a 10) has negative points listed in it.

I was unaware that the little summary at the end is the whole review. Maybe the reason it didn't get a 10 isn't because of things that it did wrong but because the things it got right still could do with some improvement.

#34 Edited by Flubbbs (2965 posts) -

picked it up on PC.. the music is amazing

#35 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@ lightleggy

You make an Excellent Point.... But its just numbers.

@ toast_burner

Life would be much better if they got rid of the score and just kept the Summary.

Infact looking at the summary is just confusing after looking at the score...... Let me read what the actual review says.

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Allright... Read it ! That bastard forgot to mention the co-op ! Probably because he never tested that feature. You see why people don't take reviews seriously.... Its not the scores.... Its the lies and laziness !

#37 Edited by osan0 (12627 posts) -

im hoping for a vita release at some stage. this is a type of game i would prefer to play on a handheld and the vita would be ideal.

if ubisoft are not budging on that front in a few months time then i will get it on PC.

looks great though.

#38 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

8 is still too much for this game.

#39 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@osan0 said:

im hoping for a vita release at some stage. this is a type of game i would prefer to play on a handheld and the vita would be ideal.

if ubisoft are not budging on that front in a few months time then i will get it on PC.

looks great though.

Remote Play FTW but I agree

#40 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Why? The reasons given seem legitimate...

#41 Edited by SolidTy (42444 posts) -

Digital games? I've had this on my radar for a long time so I'll pick it up in a sale for $5ish whenever that happens. It's my approach to all digital games, they must be discounted. I could go $8 if I really want it, but NEVER full price for DD games. I learned my lesson last gen after buying hundreds of DD games. These games go on sale all the time, they just charge full price for those that can't wait. Thing is, I waited this long, what's a few more months? I literally have hundreds of DD games on XBLA alone, not factoring in the hundreds on Steam, hundreds more on PSN, other digital PC services, and an entire Wii chock full of VC games. It all taught me that DD games should be CHEAP. I can't sell them, so I'm getting a deal on any DD game I come across.

Child of Light got good scores as I expected so I'll consider it when it's on sale. The bad DD I never bother with, unless it's in a DD bundle. CoL will go on my list next to Strider when that hits $5ish. In the meantime, I just play my huge backlog of high quality games.

Child of Light around an 79-80/100 at metacritic (varies slightly per usual per console), for those wondering.

So GS score falls in the norm with this score of 8/10. I also read in other reviews this game is very, very short.

"If you’re the kind of gamer who expects to fork out $60 and receive a 40 hour epic with 200 hours of replayability, and apply this thinking to lower price points proportionately, you may find Child of Light too short. I put aside a full long weekend to play it but I was easily done by Saturday afternoon despite only really devoting a few hours each day."

#42 Posted by clr84651 (5364 posts) -

A good game for a girl child.

#43 Posted by clr84651 (5364 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Eggs-cellent.

Sounds like a name of a breakfast dish at Village Inn.

#44 Posted by Vaasman (11240 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Vaasman said:

8/10

8/10

games don't start at a 10 and then get deductions. It got an 8 as a great game

I am aware of that, but both reviews are showering their games in praise and hailing them each as a sort of amazing experience with no flaws. Regardless of where it starts, it should land somewhere that reflects the written review, and these are both screaming AAA. Compare these written reviews to, say, the Strategy Informer review, who also gave CoL an 8/10, and we can definitely see a problem with gamespot's reviewing,. The Strategy informer review gives clear criticism of the areas it was faulting, justifying why this couldn't be called a AAA experience in their eyes. I simply get none of that from gamespot's reviewing. Gamespot's CoL review doesn't list a single fault anywhere, yet it's the same score. This is the closest Kirby comes to being faulted:

"None of the puzzles are especially challenging, but such are the aesthetic charms on show as you solve them that it's hard to be disappointed."

Getting an 8 for supposedly prime and flawless experiences, only serves to further trivialize the scoring system at gamespot. Why even score games at all if an "absolute diamond" or a game that you couldn't be happier knowing exists, can only break 80%? What does it say about games that score higher, that they are pure gaming nirvana? I'd just like some consistency is all.

#45 Posted by inb4uall (5350 posts) -

@ inb4uall

No that's a gone home reference.

#46 Posted by Bigboi500 (29328 posts) -

I thought the PS4 version was going to be 1080p, but the description says 720p. :(

#47 Posted by foxhound_fox (87658 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

I'd just like some consistency is all.

That has never been Gamespot's strong point.

And I've been here for almost 10 years now.

#48 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

A good game for a girl child.

...or anyone else who appreciates a stunning original Piano-based OST, gorgeous Ubi-Art graphics and an original story.

Wait, silly me, I forgot there's no blood, guts and sex, this isn't for me... Kappa

#49 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

I thought the PS4 version was going to be 1080p, but the description says 720p. :(

Yeah 720p for X1 and PS4, kind of a bummer but it's the devs choice.

#50 Posted by Basinboy (11056 posts) -

Beware the Night, b*tches

:P

Wednesday can't come soon enough