Character Creation In Video Games. Get in here!!!

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Simple question. When a game offers you the possibility of creating your own character, do you create one that looks like you? Or just something to your liking? I tend to go for someone that looks like me. I look pretty cool in-game. Also, feel free to post your creations.
#2 Posted by mems_1224 (46550 posts) -
I tend to make characters that look like me.
#3 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I'm not talented enough to make a character look like me, so I just make someone I think I'd enjoy playing as for the game. In Elderscrolls I play as an argonian, so that'd be kinda hard in that case too :P

#4 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -
I make characters who I think will be fun to play as.
#5 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
I tend to make characters that look like me.mems_1224
#6 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

I like making hot girls.

#7 Posted by Maroxad (8081 posts) -

Come up with a concept, design the character around that concept.

Usually they all end up looking something like this though

F92304B89B8458D475A2CE0E43DAEBE7D5697C85

#8 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -

Maroxad
That's quite the pizazz looking character.
#9 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Yes. Maroxad. Good initiative! Feel free to post your character creations, peeps
#10 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

freedomfreak

Oh dear. I remember when Pizazz hit System Wars. I can still hear the screaming...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auOnyTpk-EA

#11 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
I used to try to make them look like me, but it's too difficult, so I just try to make my dude look as badass as possible.
#12 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

I just create whatever I like (and some of my past creations didn't matter anyway since like for DCU Online, my character was in a costume 24/7 that covers all of his appearance, and for Guild Wars 2, I went with a Charr and a Human female so yeah). I find it more fun messing around with the character selection, than trying to make it look like me.

#13 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
I create exaggarated freaks. I play enough generic white guys as it is without making a version of me :P
#14 Posted by Maroxad (8081 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

freedomfreak

Thanks. I still remember the reaction of a certain System warrior when he saw my character in his new attire for hte first time.

I also created a fairy in everquest 2 and made sure to give him a "pretty" face, and equipped him in what looked to me to be tights. And yes he was male too.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Thanks.

I also created a fairy in everquest 2 and made sure to give him a "pretty" face, and equipped him in what looked to me to be tights. And yes he was male too.

Maroxad
What about outfit colors?
#16 Posted by Maroxad (8081 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]Thanks.

freedomfreak

White, with a light brown vest.

#17 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]Thanks.

Maroxad

White, with a light brown vest.

Pretty casual. Not bad.
#18 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1742 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

freedomfreak

He'd have to be the toughest guy in the realm to walk around dressed like that ,,,,,

#19 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

Yes. Maroxad. Good initiative! Feel free to post your character creations, peepsfreedomfreak

Eh why not, here some of mine:

My Guild Wars 2 characters:

grimm.jpg

FC410BE20AA0E83CA6C725F9ED9FB124E4BE8074

DCU Online:

E2E55755C8C48DF43D13672A0D33CDCB91501674

#20 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10578 posts) -

I take about an hour to make my characters (when the creation tools are robust). I tend to create something I like.

I also have an 8 hour grace period. If I realize that I don't like the character, he or she is NOT perfect to my liking, within 8 hours of first playing the game, I'll fix up a new character and replay the game.

Games that let me pull up a console command to edit my character are my savior. This is because I don't like to redo all that gameplay for a character fix but I really have to do that character fix. Can't play with an imperfect looking character.

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Eh why not, here some of mine:

My Guild Wars 2 charactersWanderer5

Those are pretty good. Your DCU character looks very "dude-huge" :P

#22 Posted by Maroxad (8081 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Bruce_Benzing

He'd have to be the toughest guy in the realm to walk around dressed like that ,,,,,

Well, his mallet did pack quite a punch. :)

#23 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]Eh why not, here some of mine:

My Guild Wars 2 charactersfreedomfreak

Dude-huge?:P

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]I take about an hour to make my characters (when the creation tools are robust). I tend to create something I like. I also have an 8 hour grace period. If I realize that I don't like the character, he or she is NOT perfect to my liking, within 8 hours of first playing the game, I'll fix up a new character and replay the game. Games that let me pull up a console command to edit my character are my savior because I don't like to redo all that gameplay for character fix but I really have to do that character fix. Can't play with an unperfect looking character.

I can definitely understand that. I love it when a game offers you the opportunity to edit your characters when you've already started your adventure. Like Fallout: New Vegas, for example.
#25 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Wanderer5"]Eh why not, here some of mine:

My Guild Wars 2 charactersWanderer5

A term related to Cliff Bleszinski :P I think it's something like badass/tough.
#26 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Kinda related. Here are some I made in Soul Calibur. [spoiler] Elika  Lara Croft  Sarah Bryant  Rayne  Lara Croft vs Juliet Starling  [/spoiler]
#27 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Those are pretty good. Your DCU character looks very "dude-huge" :P

freedomfreak

A term related to Cliff Bleszinski :P I think it's something like badass/tough.

Ah, well I did make the Phantomslinger kind of a badass.:P

#28 Posted by Maroxad (8081 posts) -

Locopatho, did you make something as much of an exaggerated freak like this?

D222F35D440D9B5E0CE922DA371B75BA4FB358F8

Kinda related. Here are some I made in Soul Calibur. [spoiler] Elika  Lara Croft  Sarah Bryant  Rayne  Lara Croft vs Juliet Starling  [/spoiler] freedomfreak

Those are pretty good.

#29 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Just make him as badass as possible. On a further play through, I tend to make my character as silly as possible,

#30 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -
Those are pretty good.Maroxad
#31 Posted by glez13 (8675 posts) -

I always end up doing something i simply like even when the original intention is to make it look like me, because in never looks like me. The only game in which I managed to make it look like me was in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. :P

#32 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -

I always end up doing something i simply like even when the original intention is to make it look like me, because in never looks like me. The only game in which I managed to make it look like me was in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. :P

glez13
I did that too. It was hilarious.
#33 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -

In RPGs I often like to create pretty girls, because if I'm going to be looking at the same character for 100 hours they might as well be enjoyable to look at.

Here is my current character in Skyrim.

pjN2f.jpg?1

#34 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24907 posts) -

Most of the time I just freakin' stick with default or close to it.

#35 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

I try to fit my characters history. I always think up a history along with the stats I'd like to play, so I just go from there. I usually start with a real face in mind to have a natural structure to play with, so I end up with a character looking somewhat like the real face, but still divergent enough to be original.

For instance, in DA:O, I was playing a human noble, so he'd be of quality stock, well-groomed, well-behaved and so on. So I came up with something kinda like (but not quite) Jesus from The Passion:

1zppqpe.jpg

For Fallout 3, I went with Mr. Reeves Clark Kent look:

ek2lid.jpg

sl38rp.jpg

For my first Fallout:NV playthrough I went with a pissy shoot-first-give-me-all-your-drugs young man who I based off Zorg from 5th Element:

1z18x03.jpg

oaq71y.jpg

And for my "I've got all the DLC" playthrough of New Vegas, I went with a female and used my S/O as the basis (sorry no IRL pics 4 u):

123mw03.jpg

I find starting with a real face in mind makes things look a lot more natural, but it takes quite a bit of time to get it worked out. That's okay, I don't mind spending a few hours making a character I'm going to be playing for 100+.

I also find that going through the checklist as-ordered is a bad idea. I usually start with the larger structures first (cheek bones, chin and jaw, head shape) then after I get that figured out, work on the finer details (lips, eyes, nose, eyebrows, etc.)

#36 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

I try to make them look like me, though I do tend to add some more muscle definition on occasion...:P

Saints Row 3 Character

One of my more recent creations for Saints Row 3.

#37 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

I always try to make serious looking guys/girls and fail horribly (Im really bad at character creation)

#38 Posted by Sphire (2070 posts) -

I once made a superb looking Com Shep, and that game doesn't even have that good a character creation tool:

[spoiler]

picture.php?albumid=4014&pictureid=49028

[/spoiler]

#39 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I make characters who I think will be fun to play as.Timstuff

#40 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

Locopatho, did you make something as much of an exaggerated freak like this?

D222F35D440D9B5E0CE922DA371B75BA4FB358F8

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Kinda related. Here are some I made in Soul Calibur. [spoiler] Elika  Lara Croft  Sarah Bryant  Rayne  Lara Croft vs Juliet Starling  [/spoiler] Maroxad

Those are pretty good.

Hahaha not quite, I do play a feeble old man in Skyrim and a gigantic fat oily surfer dude with Hulk Hogan hair/stache in Saint's Row tho :P
#41 Posted by TheEroica (13308 posts) -

simple... i name every character after my two sons unless its an actual character a la commander shepard and I dont customize anything... Only exceptions have been skyrim (Maximus Strong) and KOTOR (Dak Starkiller)

#42 Posted by freedomfreak (39184 posts) -

simple... i name every character after my two sons unless its an actual character a la commander shepard and I dont customize anything... Only exceptions have been skyrim (Maximus Strong) and KOTOR (Dak Starkiller)

TheEroica
Such a sweet thing to do :D
#43 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26107 posts) -

Depends on the game. If it was something like Skyrim, I'm gonna make a big and buff male Nord. I will not use mods and create some kind of small, scrawny animu character. I will definitely not do that to the women characters either.

#44 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Like me or if it doesn't allow much customization someone normal.
#45 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -
depends, i just really like create stuff that i like, but sometimes i also like to make them look like me
#46 Posted by faizan_faizan (7849 posts) -

Create something I just like.

#47 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -
If I can't make em look like me then I just try and make em look nice. It's kinda hard to do me when I'm not not a body builder and a crew cut.
#48 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Depends on the game. With Elder Scrolls IV, I learned that a game character will never look like me, so I won't even bother.
#49 Posted by TheEroica (13308 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

freedomfreak
Such a sweet thing to do :D

Haha thanks! Yeah, they think its pretty cool that a character is named after them... they even help with the design.
#50 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
Depends on the game. With Elder Scrolls IV, I learned that a game character will never look like me, so I won't even bother.Zeviander
Elder Scrolls have pretty limited creators. I was disappointed I couldn't make a big fatass :(