CES 2014 is coming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Are you excited for more Oculus Rift, Omni, STEM and Steambox demos?

pack that all together in one box and put a pretty little bow on it.

oh yeah

#2 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

I want to see what Sony is offering that's related to gaming...

#3 Posted by Vatusus (4689 posts) -

I learned a long time ago that the only gaming event worth a damn is E3, and even that had its better days... I wont get excited for nothing more after being severely disappointed with the lack of announcements and game footage from events like Gamescom, TGS, CES, VGA, etc, etc

E3 only for me now

#4 Edited by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

More excited to see news about future plasmas

#5 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

@MonsieurX: me too actually. Gaming news at CES is always thin.

#6 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

Pretty sure none of the big 3 (which is pretty much the only thing anyone in this forum would care about) have attended CES for the past couple of years. I dont think Nintendo ever attended them in the first place (at least not any time in recent history).

Nothing of value to anyone here, will be shown at CES except tech demos for the things listed in the op. Both Sony and Microsoft usually hold events of their own around the same time as CES though.

#7 Edited by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

Pretty sure none of the big 3 (which is pretty much the only thing anyone in this forum would care about) have attended CES for the past couple of years. I dont think Nintendo ever attended them in the first place (at least not any time in recent history).

Nothing of value to anyone here, will be shown at CES except tech demos for the things listed in the op. Both Sony and Microsoft usually hold events of their own around the same time as CES though.

i'm pretty sure i heard that sony was having 2 events at ces, can't remember where i read it but it was only in the last few days

#8 Posted by blackace (20874 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Are you excited for more Oculus Rift, Omni, STEM and Steambox demos?

pack that all together in one box and put a pretty little bow on it.

oh yeah

Should be interesting. I wonder what Sony & Microsoft will show? We might get to see some new SteamBox setups that don't cost $1000 or more. Oculus Rift is too expensive right now. If they can get that thing under $200 it might be worth a look down the road.

#10 Posted by kuu2 (7367 posts) -

Went last year and it is a very cool event. On a project this year so won't be able to attend. Should be some awesome mobile computing news coming out. As someone else said there is not much in the way of gaming news for the big three released there.

#11 Edited by sukraj (23032 posts) -

show me some LED tv's

#12 Posted by 560ti (154 posts) -

Excited about the future of TV's (LED, plasma, 4k....ect).

Rumor has it that NVidia might talk about the GTX 800 Maxwell series tomorrow which could be interesting if true

#13 Posted by Phazevariance (10981 posts) -

CES isn't really for the games, its for the tech, and not really console tech. Monitors, tablets, and general electronics. Wait for E3, that will be game central this year.

E3 the year after a new console releases is always to best e3.

#14 Edited by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

CES isn't really for the games, its for the tech, and not really console tech. Monitors, tablets, and general electronics. Wait for E3, that will be game central this year.

E3 the year after a new console releases is always to best e3.

considering gabe and co are there and rumoured to have steam machine in tow with more information it could be considered console-ish tech depending on how things pan out over the next few days.

Not to mention its heavily rumoured that PD are there with an unammed car manufacturer unveiling a VGT and new and future car technology all in 1 little marketing exercise.I wouldnt doubt it either considering PD have and were heavily involved in Nissan GT-R and its design.

Its good for off the wall info, but E3 and other major gaming centric confrences are much better for learning bout games being released :P

#15 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Wont be much gaming related stuff there.

#16 Edited by Basinboy (11228 posts) -

Oculus Rift and OLEDs

Hopefully a release date for the former

#17 Edited by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

#18 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -

What to expect from Sony (PlayStation) at CES - PlayStation Mobile, Gaikai, PlayStation VR Headset and PS4 success talk.

#19 Posted by NVIDIATI (7697 posts) -

Lots of potential news for the mobile market:

• More Windows + Intel Bay Trail tablets.
  • Information on Cherry Trail and Broadwell.
  • Information on NVIDIA's Mobile Kepler.
  • AMD's SoC for the tablet market.
  • Qualcomm's 2014 SoCs.
#20 Posted by NVIDIATI (7697 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

With Panasonic pulling out of the market, Samsung is the only real contender. Unfortunately plasma might come to an end in the not so distant future.

#21 Posted by clyde46 (46578 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

What to expect from Sony (PlayStation) at CES - PlayStation Mobile, Gaikai, PlayStation VR Headset and PS4 success talk.

Playstation won't be there. It will be Sony (TV) and Sony (TV production/film)

#22 Edited by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

@NVIDIATI said:

@MonsieurX said:

With Panasonic pulling out of the market, Samsung is the only real contender. Unfortunately plasma might come to an end in the not so distant future.

I'm aware of this,but I'm curious of what Samsung will present

#23 Edited by Netret0120 (2197 posts) -

E3 is the only gaming show that matters.

#24 Edited by Wickerman777 (1259 posts) -

Rant incoming:

I'm actually more interested in what TV news comes out of CES than I am anything video game-related. What I'd especially like to see is for Samsung to focus on picture quality again. For the last couple of years their sets have been feature-loaded but pq has been lacking. Really the only Samsung LED for sale right now that has acceptable pq is the extremely expensive F8000.

The problem started when they abandoned both cold cathode and LED backlighting and went with LED edgelighting exclusively. Seriously, my mom's 46D630 with cold cathode lighting that she got for $800 a few years ago looks better than any (With the F8000 being perhaps the one exception) Samsung LED I've seen for a while, even ones that cost hundreds more. Tech is suppose to get better over time, not go backwards. Get it together, Samsung. I wish they'd just stop making edgelit sets altogether. Sure, it makes for a thinner panel but the pq sucks.

It makes buying a new TV tough. Amazon deeply discounted the 46F6300 to $650 at Thanksgiving and I thought long and hard about getting it but decided against it because reviews say the black levels are abysmal, a standard problem with edgelit LED HDTVs. So really my only option is the 46F8000 and that costs nearly $2000! I've been waiting for a great sale on it, like perhaps for $1500 (Been looking for a few months now. Starting to get convinced it'll never see a discount like that) but even that is a ridiculous amount to pay for a 46" TV. Sure wish my mom's model was still for sale cuz if it was I'd get it without hesitation. It's much better than the edgelit crap Samsung is peddling now.

#25 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Playstation won't be there. It will be Sony (TV) and Sony (TV production/film)

http://www.cesweb.org/News/Press-Releases/CES-Press-Release.aspx?NodeID=29742dba-da47-4212-95e4-3958f2d1dada

"Major gaming exhibitors at the 2014 CES include: AMD, Innex, Intel, Logitech, Nokia, Nvidia, Orbotix, and Sony. Mobile gaming has been a high-growth market in recent years, with revenues increasing at triple-digit rates in 2011 and 2012. The expected launch of two updated gaming platforms this year is likely to bring a flurry of interest and innovation to the gaming category at the 2014 CES."