CD projeckt Red attempting to rip people off

• 102 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

My friends. Many of us logged at the excitement of CD projeckt Reds confrence. Which was underwhelming over hype as they tend to do. One of the big announcements was the special, loyalty discount. If you own previous witcher titles, a discount.

Sounds great yes? Afer checking my emails (I have many due to being popular) an interesting one popped up.

Great? Well, no, not quite. The standard pc game price is £29.99. Even with the discount, it's laughably priced.

Is this yet another gimmicky scam on CDP part? Seems to be. Do you think pc gamers take issue (like me) or eat it up as they do with Blizzards nonsense?

#2 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12186 posts) -

Many PC games are more than £29.99 these days. Some of them significantly more so.

But I am inclined to agree that £49.99 is ridiculously expensive for a PC title. It's possible to get PS4 and Xbox One games cheaper than that more often than not.

#3 Edited by gameofthering (9962 posts) -

£50 is a little high for a PC game to me.

It's kinda like looking on Origin, when they say they have a fantastic sale, and the sale just brings the price down to the normal price.

#4 Posted by clyde46 (43577 posts) -

I doubt thats for the standard game. Not even COD sold at £50 on the PC.

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5885 posts) -

A 27% discount is fair. They still have to make money since they are a business and not a volunteer group.

I had a lot of emails too since i am more popular. LULZ

#6 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

"Gamers who are paying in EUR, GBP, and AUD are generally charged more for the games that they buy than gamers in the US. We don't see much sense in that, so we've come up with a solution that lets us treat everyone in those regions more fairly (without giving our legal team a heart attack). For The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt pre-orders GOG.com will make up the difference out of our own pocket by providing users with a mix of $9.99 and $5.99 game codes."

#7 Edited by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -

So you get the game for £36.49 if you have both games, oh no, somebody call the police! This is an independent company releasing a big budget game that's been in development for a long time, DRM free, with a soundtrack, digital art book, free copy of Neverwinter Nights AND $15 of GOG credit due to the higher UK price and you're moaning and calling it a scam? Fuck right off.

#8 Posted by clyde46 (43577 posts) -

So you get the game for £36.49 if you have both games, oh no, somebody call the police! This is an independent company releasing a big budget game that's been in development for a long time, DRM free, with a soundtrack, digital art book, free copy of Neverwinter Nights AND $15 of GOG credit due to the higher UK price and you're moaning and calling it a scam? Fuck right off.

Nioce.

#10 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38161 posts) -

Stop trying to trick people with your shit thread. That priced version comes with TONNES of additional content as shown below

You're getting FAR more than just TW3 for that price

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Nioce.

Almost as bad as the Blizzard fanboys. Sheesh.

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Stop trying to trick people with your shit thread. That priced version comes with TONNES of additional content as shown below

My Ireland friend, all games get preorder tat. Standard practice.

#13 Edited by Icarian (1462 posts) -

At least CD Projekt understands that $ isn't same as €. Valve should learn a thing or two from them.

#14 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (653 posts) -

Where do you get new PC games at 30£. I think Watch Dogs was 35£.

At amazon uk, Far Cry 4 is 40 pre-order, The Witcher is 38, DA Inquitision is 40, Advanced Warfare is 37. At Game, all of them are 40.

My friend, you make some crappy threads.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

@Icarian said:

At least CD Projekt understands that $ isn't same as €. Valve should learn a thing or two from them.

But Valve charged £27 for Portal 2.

#16 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (653 posts) -

@Icarian said:

You're damm right.

#17 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

And TC continues to be a lying troll

#18 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11257 posts) -

I think you and I have a very different understanding of the phrase "rip-off." No one is being "ripped off"; the game is just more expensive than normal and like others have said the higher price includes quite a few extras.

#19 Posted by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

Why, because I pointed out how stupid your thread was? Not every game on PC has the same price anyway and £30 is NOT the average for digital copies of most games; almost all big titles go for £40+ on Steam and then you can get them for £32-35 on GreenManGaming using their discount.

Witcher 3 is on Steam right now with a 10% discount making it £35 plus 5% discount for each Witcher game you already own on there so there you go.

#20 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11257 posts) -

*nods head in approval*

#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@bobbetybob said:

Witcher 3 is on Steam right now with a 10% discount making it £35 plus 5% discount for each Witcher game you already own on there so there you go.

Too high. Not discount. :/

#22 Posted by gameofthering (9962 posts) -

I've just noticed that Wolfenstein: TNO is £20 on Amazon for those that may be interested in the game.

#23 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@bobbetybob said:

Too high. Not discount. :/

Well it is a discount, unless you're really shitty at math

#24 Edited by SteXmaN (329 posts) -

What a sad individual.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

It's kinda like looking on Origin, when they say they have a fantastic sale, and the sale just brings the price down to the normal price.

Well, man. It's EA. It's like blaming a tiger for killing a wilderbeast. It's not evil, it's just EA.

CDP announced it in typical over-bloat and are suppose to be the huge champion of pc gaming.

As predicted, the fanboys refuse to see reason. Pc gamers these days are not like the 90's.

#26 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (653 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

Well, man. It's EA. It's like blaming a tiger for killing a wilderbeast. It's not evil, it's just EA.

CDP announced it in typical over-bloat and are suppose to be the huge champion of pc gaming.

As predicted, the fanboys refuse to see reason. Pc gamers these days are not like the 90's.

My friend, you didn't answer my question. Where are you getting new releases at 29.99. And at amazon and game, the price is equal and standart.

#27 Posted by clyde46 (43577 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Pre-order tat? pretentious much.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Pre-order tat? pretentious much.

But I'm right.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2013/05/10/if-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-is-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-why-isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/

"Offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail"

#29 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: except you're talking about preorder bonuses from CDPR themselves, not a retail store.

#30 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

My friend, having popped on to steam. It appears to be exactly as you are describing.

So essentially, the kind of incredibly seedy business practice we would expect from EA.

Boy, these guys sold out fast, eh?

#31 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: so is this where you tell us you were a child of the 90's?

#32 Posted by Maroxad (7834 posts) -

That is still cheaper than most games here. So I don't see the problem.

#33 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -
@Maroxad said:

Name 10 games on steam that are £49.99. This goes to anyone. No hoop jumping with regional pricing either.

As someone consistently right, I'd very much like to be wrong. sadly, this qeastion, no, demand, is null and void since it's an impossibility. It's very much like asking someone to capture the sun with their hands. At best, an illusion created by perspective. Not reality.

#34 Posted by adamosmaki (9354 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

1. Its 6 euros less than vast majority of games ( granted compared to US still a bit expensive )

2. They give you 9euros of bonus codes to spend on Gog

3. Exclusive bonus package

Granted i would have prefered a lower priced but their offer is more than fair especially if you consider other AAA games pre-order prices and bonuses

Also i'm certain the normal price without the bonus content and bonus codes will be lower when the game will be released ( such as it was the case with Witcher 2 when it was 35euros as opposed to other games ). And comparing this to the ripoff COD is absurd ( 60euros and no bonus content or bonus codes )

#35 Edited by Bruin1986 (1176 posts) -

Maybe other people have been taught a different definition of the word "scam", but a company selling a product at a price higher than I want it to be priced at is not a scam.

It's expensive and maybe even "greedy" (because companies exist to make me happy and not to make money, after all), but it isn't a scam.

Buying a videogame and instead receiving a thank you letter, a tuna fish, and getting my email address added to 50 mailing lists for various products is a scam.

#36 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

You're a CDPR hater, aren't you?? go back to your cave!

#37 Posted by lostrib (31586 posts) -

No, it wouldn't surprise me if in another thread you found him praising CDPR

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -
@adamosmaki said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

1. Its 6 euros less than vast majority of games ( granted compared to US still a bit expensive )

2. They give you 9euros of bonus codes to spend on Gog

3. Exclusive bonus package

Granted i would have prefered a lower priced but their offer is more than fair especially if you consider other AAA games pre-order prices and bonuses

Also i'm certain the normal price without the bonus content and bonus codes will be lower when the game will be released ( such as it was the case with Witcher 2 when it was 35euros as opposed to other games ). And comparing this to the ripoff COD is absurd ( 60euros and no bonus content or bonus codes )

My friend, I feel like Richard Dawkings attempting to reason with a fanatical. Regardless of the obvious cash grab, right in front of our eyes, that is totally, and utterly unarguable, you ramble on, defiant. Using any and every means to attempt to augment reality.

As an old hardcore pc gamer, someone who actively has foresight on the industry, I cast you fellows back to Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Standard pc price was (and is and should be) £29.99. Activison, charged £39.99. Then, shortly after and continuing to this day and age, Ubisoft and EA now attempt to make every pc title £39.99. when we accept £49.99. We can accept £59.99 and so on...

When I see this, and I see you fellows defending it with admiral but foolish brand loyalty, without the foresight and experience, I'm very much like Moses, attempting to lead you through the desert. Except for some reason your being unwilling as fuck.

Foresight my friends. Look at the pattern as a whole, not the immediate.

#39 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@geniobastardo said:

so he's kind of a manticore?? anyways, I hate multi-faced people.

#40 Edited by lostrib (31586 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@geniobastardo said:

no he's just a troll who lies a lot

#41 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (653 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@geniobastardo said:

@lostrib said:

@geniobastardo said:

no he's just a troll who lies a lot

My friend, i have to agree.

#42 Posted by gameofthering (9962 posts) -

I should have bought this earlier.

I could have got it for £32 but now it's increased to £38 on Steam.

#43 Edited by Vaasman (11137 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

If you got mod status, why can't you just lock this kind of misinformation spreading troll thread for being what it is? I mean the new ToS isn't that lenient.

#44 Posted by Maroxad (7834 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Name 10 games on steam that are £49.99. This goes to anyone. No hoop jumping with regional pricing either.

As someone consistently right, I'd very much like to be wrong. sadly, this qeastion, no, demand, is null and void since it's an impossibility. It's very much like asking someone to capture the sun with their hands. At best, an illusion created by perspective. Not reality.

I was referring to regional pricing. Hence most games here.

Also, steam doesnt show in pounds where I live, it shows in euro.

#45 Posted by lawlessx (46249 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

If you got mod status, why can't you just lock this kind of misinformation spreading troll thread for being what it is? I mean the new ToS isn't that lenient.

i think it is otherwise the TC would've been banned for his condescending tone he uses around here ages ago.

#46 Edited by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

What misinformation chumling? Across the board it's £40-£49. Preorder tat no one asked for doesn't change that.

#47 Edited by lamprey263 (22430 posts) -

Jeez, I thought Witcher 2 was a rip-off at any price. Think people would have learned their lesson.

#48 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3744 posts) -

i get an email from GOG saying TW3 is $54USD, with a further discount available if i own the other games, which i do.

i log in to gog, and it seems the price is actually $72 Australian Dollars (AUD), including all discounts.

this little stunt results as a 24% mark up in my home currency.

i'm going to hit them up about this. because GOG directly emailed me that deal in american dollars, that's the price i think i'm entitled to. as for that expensive australian price, just no, not day one.

#49 Posted by uninspiredcup (6849 posts) -
@Maroxad said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

I was referring to regional pricing. Hence most games here.

Also, steam doesnt show in pounds where I live, it shows in euro.

Since we are essentially speaking different languages, this is pointless.

In terms ok United Kingdom (and apparently Aus) it is very clearly overpriced.

#50 Edited by faizan_faizan (7680 posts) -

My friend, that's not true at all.