Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 review is up FLOPPAGE

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12835 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Forcing stealth elements into castlevania when you play as freaking Dracula, is beyond stupid.

The prince of darkness, c'mon people this isn't a difficult concept. Thankfully this will be their last game in the castlevania franchise.

The only thing I'm really interested in is how Alucard fits into all this. Was that just them trying to pander to the SOTN audience for more sales or what?

The stealth elements come in when Dracula is weak and not at full power...it makes sense. And the stealth sections are not as terrible as reviewers make it out to be. They are not good, but to suggest that they break the game is idiotic.

And really, fans are actually enjoying this game more than the first, unlike the reviewers.

As for Alucard, he is definitely plays a big role...and he will get a DLC.

I'll remain cautious but I might give the game a shot. I'm still of the firm belief that MercurySteam can't possibly offer anything positive to the Castlevania franchise as their last game was largely shit as well.

#52 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16111 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

I mean was there official hype for this? Also, seems people forget the idea that flop does not equal a bad game.

I don't think so. Thief had a hype thread though so that game flopped.

Yeah, but that's because flop has different meaning, be it commercial flop, critical flop or just a flop in general.

You're right that flop can have multiple meanings, but if we take the general SW's meaning, of just not meeting the hype, that doesn't make it a bad game. Neither would it be if it was a commercial flop either.

But that is how your brain works. You can't just come into SW and go: "ok, I'll change my definition of what flop means on here"

Flop has a negative meaning, and yeah if a game scores 8.5 and it was hyped 9 than it's a flop, though not a bad game... yet the meaning flop still makes you think it's something negative.

Anyway, I totally agree with you, but I understand why people would think flop is bad :p

#53 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -
#54 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24301 posts) -

@Randolph: Mirror of Fate wasn't that bad.

Though if they wanted to make the game better then they should have made it more Symphony of the Night-ish.

#55 Edited by Randolph (10346 posts) -

Though if they wanted to make the game better then they should have made it more Symphony of the Night-ish.

The only 2D Castlevania worse than Mirror of Fate is Simon's Quest, and that's only because the translation was botched on NES, if you play the game with a fan translation… then it's actually better than Mirror of Fate.

#56 Edited by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@Randolph:

Simon's Quest is the first Metroidvania, not SOTN.

#57 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Forcing stealth elements into castlevania when you play as freaking Dracula, is beyond stupid.

The prince of darkness, c'mon people this isn't a difficult concept. Thankfully this will be their last game in the castlevania franchise.

The only thing I'm really interested in is how Alucard fits into all this. Was that just them trying to pander to the SOTN audience for more sales or what?

The stealth elements come in when Dracula is weak and not at full power...it makes sense. And the stealth sections are not as terrible as reviewers make it out to be. They are not good, but to suggest that they break the game is idiotic.

And really, fans are actually enjoying this game more than the first, unlike the reviewers.

As for Alucard, he is definitely plays a big role...and he will get a DLC.

I'll remain cautious but I might give the game a shot. I'm still of the firm belief that MercurySteam can't possibly offer anything positive to the Castlevania franchise as their last game was largely shit as well.

the MC user score is a lot higher than the critics score...this is rare.

The fans seem to like the game more than the critics.

#58 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The only 2D Castlevania worse than Mirror of Fate is Simon's Quest, and that's only because the translation was botched on NES, if you play the game with a fan translation… then it's actually better than Mirror of Fate.

Just to ask did you actually play the game? or are you some die hard Castlevania fan ? Mirror of Fate that is..

#59 Posted by Minishdriveby (10004 posts) -

Ehh... I was expecting it to do poorly (around 5 or 6) after playing that demo. Game just seems kinda bland, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed the 1st enough to plat it.

#60 Edited by Randolph (10346 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

Just to ask did you actually play the game? or are you some die hard Castlevania fan ? Mirror of Fate that is..

Played the demo on 3DS and the full game on PS3. Not impressed. Easily the second worst 2D Castlevania ever made. (but again, if you have Simon's Quest fan translation, Mirror become THE worst)

#61 Posted by blangenakker (2067 posts) -

The fans will buy it anyway

#62 Posted by Alcapello (524 posts) -

Damn

#63 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Who cares about reviews.

BTW Thief is great!!

#64 Edited by vincent380 (2237 posts) -

Yea I'm gonna wait for a price drop for this. Seems like a decent rental.

#65 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@Randolph:

@Randolph said:

@Joedgabe said:

Played the demo on 3DS and the full game on PS3. Not impressed. Easily the second worst 2D Castlevania ever made. (but again, if you have Simon's Quest fan translation, Mirror become THE worst)

Mirror of Fate is better than Dracula X (its dumbed down version of Rondo of Blood), Circle of the Moon (half assed SOTN), Harmony of Dissonance (ditto), and Harmony of Despair.

#66 Edited by chriscoolguy (316 posts) -

It's a solid hack n slash game. Amazing graphics on PC.

#67 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2618 posts) -

So far the game is great, and last I checked the user reviews on Metacritic were strong.....seems like the public is disagreeing with the professional reviews of this game....the Gamespot review seems decent at 7.....guy said the 2nd half of the game is better than the first. Story is great, gameplay is fluid, and so far I'm liking the music......Castlevania has never been a critic favorite, it seems they have issues grasping what a lot of fans like about the franchises.....the game seems to have some of the minor platforming issues of the first game(died a few times on first level), but I think overall fans will be happy with it.

#68 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24301 posts) -

@Randolph:

@Randolph said:

@Joedgabe said:

Mirror of Fate is better than Dracula X (its dumbed down version of Rondo of Blood), Circle of the Moon (half assed SOTN), Harmony of Dissonance (ditto), and Harmony of Despair.

Not to mention the Gameboy Castlevania games or the N64 Castlevania games.

Yeah, Simon's Quest was not a bad Castlevania game. It was literally a 2D Dark Souls.

#69 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

@Randolph:

@Randolph said:

@Joedgabe said:

Yeah, Simon's Quest was not a bad Castlevania game. It was literally a 2D Dark Souls.

except you don't really get much customization or build. There's no move sets, you're not forced to grind hearts to move forward, and many other things that i can't mention right now but this guy can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip2aIt0ROM

Very long video but funny as hell.

#70 Posted by XboxStache (906 posts) -

Cod is better. Thread.

#71 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

@Randolph:

@Randolph said:

@Joedgabe said:

Which N64 game?

Castlevania 64 was badly rushed out the door, that's why it wasn't good. They did not finish it.

Legacy of Darkness however fixes most of Castlevania 64's problems and adds another story to the game. It was basically a by far superior directors cut. Its actually a very good game, people just don't know it.

#72 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

So far the game is great, and last I checked the user reviews on Metacritic were strong.....seems like the public is disagreeing with the professional reviews of this game....the Gamespot review seems decent at 7.....guy said the 2nd half of the game is better than the first. Story is great, gameplay is fluid, and so far I'm liking the music......Castlevania has never been a critic favorite, it seems they have issues grasping what a lot of fans like about the franchises.....the game seems to have some of the minor platforming issues of the first game(died a few times on first level), but I think overall fans will be happy with it.

Really the stealth section annoyances are overblown. They are nothing but simple puzzles...except Agreus. But then again, mist form makes that section a lot easier.

#73 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8597 posts) -

Yeah, I was interested in this when they said it would be an open world Hack n Slash like the amazing Darksiders, but the impressions from reviewers and my friend who bought it have all been really poor.

#74 Posted by CTR360 (6858 posts) -

i dont care sites prefer online crap games like titanfall

#75 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12835 posts) -

This games like a less interesting version of Devil may cry now that I've played it.

The environments are just so samey, and the amount of enemies you face at once really leaves something to be desired. I'm glad this is their last game. Also Dracula isn't so much Dracula as just a reskinned gabriel, he's a seriously shitty Prince of Darkness.

I was hoping the pacing problems would be fixed with this game, but even the metroid like aspect is handled so poorly that it's just painfully boring. The stealth sections are also some of the most drab and uninspired gameplay sequences I've ever had the misfortune to suffer through particularly because they offer no options on how to proceed.

Dracula has never "sucked," more than he does in this game.

#76 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This games like a less interesting version of Devil may cry now that I've played it.

The environments are just so samey, and the amount of enemies you face at once really leaves something to be desired. I'm glad this is their last game. Also Dracula isn't so much Dracula s just a reskinned gabriel, he's a seriously shitty Prince of Darkness.

How far are you into the game?.... The game to me feels really solid. The platforming is decent the combat is fluid solid and responsive. The AI mercilesly is always attacking you they don't stand still staring at you not doing anything. It's pretty solid gameplay wise for now. However I have to agree with that last statement... wtf was they thinking with the story ? that's the only complaint and it really does butcher up the experience. Dracula being someone's lackey ? are you serious ? they don't even take him serious is how sad this is. I would have preffered to use gabriel again and not know i'm using the terrifying "Dracula" to do chores. Also what's up with him running like a chicken away from those gorilla looking demons with the giant guns ? Gabriel had a lot more balls than him and gabriel was weaker, hell Gabriel beat up a cyclops silly. This dracula is a disappointment 3 hours in.

#77 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12835 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The environments are just so samey, and the amount of enemies you face at once really leaves something to be desired. I'm glad this is their last game. Also Dracula isn't so much Dracula s just a reskinned gabriel, he's a seriously shitty Prince of Darkness.

How far are you into the game?.... The game to me feels really solid. The platforming is decent the combat is fluid solid and responsive. The AI mercilesly is always attacking you they don't stand still staring at you not doing anything. It's pretty solid gameplay wise for now. However I have to agree with that last statement... wtf was they thinking with the story ? that's the only complaint and it really does butcher up the experience. Dracula being someone's lackey ? are you serious ? they don't even take him serious is how sad this is. I would have preffered to use gabriel again and not know i'm using the terrifying "Dracula" to do chores. Also what's up with him running like a chicken away from those gorilla looking demons with the giant guns ? Gabriel had a lot more balls than him and gabriel was weaker, hell Gabriel beat up a cyclops silly. This dracula is a disappointment 3 hours in.

I'm towards the end I think, about to kill the last acolyte in the church grounds. I've found the combat way too easy, especially with how little enemies they actually give you to fight and the fact they only spawn once per room. Playing on the hardest difficulty allowed.

The story is plain stupid for sure. Dracula is such a little bitch in this game, he's the most emo prince of darkness I've ever seen wah my dead wife, wah my son, wah wah wah fate.

The platforming felt serviceable at best to me, while the movement on chandeliers and the like just felt incredibly clunky, it really feels like there's no physics behind them they don't move realistically at all and are instead very stiff.

Everytime Little boy Alucard opens his mouth and that fake ass princely accent flows out and Dracula suddenly turns into a caring father I want to head to Konami with an aluminum bat. The story is just so bad and it's delivered even worse.

#78 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: ugh... i was hoping he maned up towards the end....... well that sucks to know :s wow.... i really liked Gabriel a lot better. This also reminds me... why in the world did they think it was a good idea to turn Dracula into a Dragon? It's like turning Godzilla into the Kraken.

#79 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12835 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@ReadingRainbow4: ugh... i was hoping he maned up towards the end....... well that sucks to know :s wow.... i really liked Gabriel a lot better. This also reminds me... why in the world did they think it was a good idea to turn Dracula into a Dragon? It's like turning Godzilla into the Kraken.

If anything he becomes more and more of a pussy as the game goes on, lol. There's this one fight where it actually starts with this sith lord guy zapping the shit out of you with lightning and you have to crawl down a hall to escape to your imaginary castle Lol. Are you serious? The prince of darkness is scared of lightning now.

The dragon shit is so lame as well, It works just like the stupid chaos demon gem item from the 1st one, you get a prerendered cutscene and then a large dmg aoe. It's just so so lazy.

#80 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

If anything he becomes more and more of a pussy as the game goes on, lol. There's this one fight where it actually starts with this sith lord guy zapping the shit out of you with lightning and you have to crawl down a hall to escape to your imaginary castle Lol. Are you serious? The prince of darkness is scared of lightning now.

The dragon shit is so lame as well, It works just like the stupid chaos demon gem item from the 1st one, you get a prerendered cutscene and then a large dmg aoe. It's just so so lazy.

I know i used it it's just lame that he turns into a dragon instead of a monstrous Bat humanoid creature. He's a bat for god's sake not a lizard. They did mess up the whole dracula thing in this game big time. How you mess up Dracula? This is the worst adaptation of Dracula I have ever seen.

#81 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Joedgabe said:

I know i used it it's just lame that he turns into a dragon instead of a monstrous Bat humanoid creature. He's a bat for god's sake not a lizard. They did mess up the whole dracula thing in this game big time. How you mess up Dracula? This is the worst adaptation of Dracula I have ever seen.

Dracula has turned into a lizard many times in the past games.

#82 Posted by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

You are not getting it.

Its the castle that represents his power, as it is an embodiment of it. Dracula in the city is not fully powerful at this point. Notice how he gets kicked around quite a bit in the city sections of the game.

That's why he lures the second acolyte to his "castle".

#83 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12835 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Joedgabe said:

You are not getting it.

Its the castle that represents his power, as it is an embodiment of it. Dracula in the city is not fully powerful at this point. Notice how he gets kicked around quite a bit in the city sections of the game.

I understand it perfectly, it's still not any less stupid.

#84 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Joedgabe said:

You are not getting it.

It's just disappointing their take on Dracula at least this episode. I'm actually enjoying the game and having fun but it's a turn off to realize you're using dracula to do these things. Further more the issue that he's even co-operating with Zobec. I think they should have at least turned him back into gabriel losing his dracula powers and then until the game reaches that point were Dracula is going to terrorize again ( i'm assuming it has to happen in the game ) make him Dracula again. Even though Gabriel itself was pretty damn strong.... he might have actually been stronger as Gabriel than he was as Dracula just because he was that skilled at fighting all he needed was that inhuman strentgh he had.

#85 Edited by texasgoldrush (9109 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Joedgabe said:

You are not getting it.

It's just disappointing their take on Dracula at least this episode. I'm actually enjoying the game and having fun but it's a turn off to realize you're using dracula to do these things. Further more the issue that he's even co-operating with Zobec. I think they should have at least turned him back into gabriel losing his dracula powers and then until the game reaches that point were Dracula is going to terrorize again ( i'm assuming it has to happen in the game ) make him Dracula again. Even though Gabriel itself was pretty damn strong.... he might have actually been stronger as Gabriel than he was as Dracula just because he was that skilled at fighting all he needed was that inhuman strentgh he had.

Play further in the story before you criticize Dracula about cooperating with Zobek.

Dracula is a more intelligent fighter than a strong one. He wins because he is smarter than his opponent, not because he is stronger.

#86 Posted by Coolyfett (5079 posts) -