Capcom: Don't Expect Monster Hunter Vita, You Will Disappoint Yourself

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

Monster Hunter 4 is no doubt going to be a massive win for the 3DS. The combination of traction Nintendo's handheld already has, along with the massive install base, and the incrediblesuccessof the Monster Hunter series is great news for Nintendo.

Naturally, Sony would love to get their hands on it and sell some Vitas. Recently, a rumor surfaced saying this very thing was the reason for the 3DS delay and that Capcom was developing a Vita version in tandem with the 3DS.

That is, until Capcom Senior Vice President Christian Svenson had something to say about it:

'I would not believe everything you read on the internet. It will set you up for disappointment or misdirected frustration.'

Take that as you will, but to me, it feels like a soft "not happening." In my opinion, the Vita needs this. If it can't get a massive system selling game pretty soon, I don't know what to think.

Destructoid

I've been saying this for a while: at least as of now, no Monster Hunter on the Vita. This also corroborates the rumor that Monster Hunter is Nintendo exclusive for three years.

I also agree with the sentiment that the Vita needs a system seller. It needs one, and fast.

SOURCE

#2 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -
Terrible news for Sony and Vita owners. That sucks pretty bad.
#3 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Capcom: "RE4 on the Gamecube only"
Capcom: "RE4announced on the PS2 before the NGC version launches"

Moral, who ever believes what Capcom says about anything?

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

ActicEdge
Ehhh, from what I understand, Capcom has a contractual obligation to keep Monster Hunter Nintendo exclusive for three years.
#5 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I also agree with the sentiment that the Vita needs a system seller. It needs one, and fast.

charizard1605

With Mario(Obviously), Pokemon(Obviously), Animal Crossing(Obviously), Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter locked up, Final Fantasy is the only system seller left. If Nintendo announces a mainline spin off FF game like Crisis Core or Type 0, there really isn't anything left that could save the Vita.

The best thing Sony could hope for is if one of thier new IP's become a smash hit.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Thefatness16

With Mario(Obviously), Pokemon(Obviously), Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter locked up, Final Fantasy is the only system seller left. If Nintendo announces a mainline spin off FF game like Crisis Core or Type 0, there really isn't anything left that could save the Vita.

The best thing Sony could hope for is if one of thier new IP's become a smash hit.

You forgot Animal Crossing in the list of system selling franchises :P Does Final Fantasy even have that kind of power anymore?
#7 Posted by Microsoft1234 (7674 posts) -

ActicEdge
contractual obligation between capcom and nintendo at that time right?, hence why we didn't see re4 for the ps2 until afterward.
#8 Posted by mems_1224 (47289 posts) -
cows am cry
#9 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

charizard1605

With Mario(Obviously), Pokemon(Obviously), Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter locked up, Final Fantasy is the only system seller left. If Nintendo announces a mainline spin off FF game like Crisis Core or Type 0, there really isn't anything left that could save the Vita.

You forgot Animal Crossing in the list of system selling franchises :P Does Final Fantasy even have that kind of power anymore?

Meybe not as much as before this gen, but I'd assume JP would still be pretty hyped for a large scale spin off like the games I mentioned before.

#10 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Vita still DoA, no one surprised.

More at 11.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Thefatness16

Meybe not as much as before this gen, but I'd assume JP would still be pretty hyped for a large scale spin off like the games I mentioned before.

I guess, yeah. What if Versus goes 3DS exclusive? :lol:
#12 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
Recently, a rumor surfaced saying this very thing was the reason for the 3DS delay and that Capcom was developing a Vita version in tandem with the 3DS. 'I would not believe everything you read on the internet. It will set you up for disappointment or misdirected frustration.'
#13 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
Recently, a rumor surfaced saying this very thing was the reason for the 3DS delay and that Capcom was developing a Vita version in tandem with the 3DS. 'I would not believe everything you read on the internet. It will set you up for disappointment or misdirected frustration.'rjdofu
This is Capcom's response to that very rumor, brah.
#14 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

charizard1605
Ehhh, from what I understand, Capcom has a contractual obligation to keep Monster Hunter Nintendo exclusive for three years.

Is that a confirmed information? If it is, then when does the contract begin and end?
#15 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -
cows am crymems_1224
Vita owners am cry. It's some disappointing news if true.
#16 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] You forgot Animal Crossing in the list of system selling franchises :P Does Final Fantasy even have that kind of power anymore?charizard1605

I guess, yeah. What if Versus goes 3DS exclusive? :lol:

An absolute slaughter.

Vita outsold 50:1 by the 3DS for Several weeks. Not even an exaggeration.

#17 Posted by CWEBB04z (4592 posts) -
I own ever Monster Hunter game on PSP.. it sold very well on the PSP.. I'll never get what Capcom is thinking. Though they have ruined several of there other franchises... namely Resident Evil.
#18 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Recently, a rumor surfaced saying this very thing was the reason for the 3DS delay and that Capcom was developing a Vita version in tandem with the 3DS. 'I would not believe everything you read on the internet. It will set you up for disappointment or misdirected frustration.'charizard1605
This is Capcom's response to that very rumor, brah.

Yes, to the rumor that "Capcom was developing a Vita version in tandem with the 3DS", not the rumor that there'll be a monster hunter on Vita; different thing.
#19 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"] Is that a confirmed information? If it is, then when does the contract begin and end?

2011-2014, meaning the Vita can't get a Monster Hunter game until 2015. By that time, assuming it is still alive, it will be too late, it will be meaningless.

Vita outsold 50:1 by the 3DS for Several weeks. Not even an exaggeration.

Thefatness16
Lol. Let's see what happens. Square has basically thrown everything at the 3DS but Final Fantasy at this point (and it's all been successful). Let's see if they give us a real Final Fantasy on 3DS too.
#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26921 posts) -

ActicEdge
Well, Tatsunoko vs Capcom didn't (and never will) get ported to PS3 and 360.
#21 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I own ever Monster Hunter game on PSP.. it sold very well on the PSP.. I'll never get what Capcom is thinking. Though they have ruined several of there other franchises... namely Resident Evil. CWEBB04z
The 3DS is selling great.

When Monster Hunter was first on the PSP the PSP and DS were very close in sales. With the 3DS and Vita they are so far apart in terms of sales that Capcom wouldn't want to put one of their most successful franchises on a system that isn't doing very well.

#22 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

nintendoboy16
Well, Tatsunoko vs Capcom didn't (and never will) get ported to PS3 and 360.

The logic doesn't work that way.
#23 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]I own ever Monster Hunter game on PSP.. it sold very well on the PSP.. I'll never get what Capcom is thinking. Though they have ruined several of there other franchises... namely Resident Evil. Nintendo_Ownes7

When Monster Hunter was first on the PSP the PSP and DS were very close in sales. With the 3DS and Vita they are so far apart in terms of sales that Capcom wouldn't want to put one of their most successful franchises on a system that isn't doing very well.

That, and the only reason DS never got Monster Hunter was because it flat out couldn't support it. Now that the 3DS can support it, and is selling better than the Vita by a goddamn landslide, there is no reason to put Monster Hunter on the Vita at all.
#24 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] Is that a confirmed information? If it is, then when does the contract begin and end?charizard1605
2011-2014, meaning the Vita can't get a Monster Hunter game until 2015. By that time, assuming it is still alive, it will be too late, it will be meaningless.

#25 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26594 posts) -

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

charizard1605

thats still a rumore so who knows. All I know is sony is in deep doo doo in jpn if they dont get one or a good replacement for it. Lets see how soul sacrafise works out.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
Yes, it comes from the same source that told us about the 3DS revision in early 2012 and Dragon Quest 7 Remake on 3DS. It's confirmed, it's as legit as it will ever be short of an official announcement.
#27 Posted by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -
i could swear i had read that here in SW a few days back.
#28 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3062 posts) -

Vita be cried.

#29 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26594 posts) -

Yes, it comes from the same source that told us about the 3DS revision in early 2012 and Dragon Quest 7 Remake on 3DS. It's confirmed, it's as legit as it will ever be short of an official announcement.charizard1605

I rather have something official. The internet is to iffy as is.

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Yes, it comes from the same source that told us about the 3DS revision in early 2012 and Dragon Quest 7 Remake on 3DS. It's confirmed, it's as legit as it will ever be short of an official announcement.finalfantasy94

I rather have something official. The internet is to iffy as is.

These are insider leaks from Japan, they are always accurate. Of course no company will talk about its contractual obligations to another company; that has never happened, expecting that now is not smart. As it is, we should simply go by what we know: the 3DS has one Monster Hunter game released, and one upcoming. The Vita has none. As of now, Monster Hunter is Nintendo exclusive.
#31 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

The damage has already been done.

If anything, Capcom will put a MH game on PS4 depending on next gen sales.

#32 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="CWEBB04z"]I own ever Monster Hunter game on PSP.. it sold very well on the PSP.. I'll never get what Capcom is thinking. Though they have ruined several of there other franchises... namely Resident Evil. charizard1605

That, and the only reason DS never got Monster Hunter was because it flat out couldn't support it. Now that the 3DS can support it, and is selling better than the Vita by a goddamn landslide, there is no reason to put Monster Hunter on the Vita at all.

Monster Hunter is a system seller.
#33 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]The 3DS is selling great.

rjdofu

And Capcom is a business trying to earn money. It won't put Monster Hunter on the Vita out of charity, it will put it there if it makes sense to put it there. It would only make sense to put it there if returns on the investment were ensured, but they are not; outside of that, Sony moneyhatting the franchise is the only other way the investment makes sense financially, but as of right now, Nintendo has it on lock, so that's not happening either. It's Nintendo exclusive for now. If you want to play it, get a 3DS/Wii U. Or wait a few years when it will inevitably come to the Vita.
#34 Posted by wraigth (912 posts) -
Still can't be arsed to update those PS2 textures, Capcom? Been hoping for an updated Monster Hunter game forever, but preferably on console, not handheld. :(
#35 Posted by Gue1 (10223 posts) -

I'm already disappointed with DmC and I wasn't expecting so what difference does it make?

#36 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] That, and the only reason DS never got Monster Hunter was because it flat out couldn't support it. Now that the 3DS can support it, and is selling better than the Vita by a goddamn landslide, there is no reason to put Monster Hunter on the Vita at all.

And Capcom is a business trying to earn money. It won't put Monster Hunter on the Vita out of charity, it will put it there if it makes sense to put it there. It would only make sense to put it there if returns on the investment were ensured, but they are not; outside of that, Sony moneyhatting the franchise is the only other way the investment makes sense financially, but as of right now, Nintendo has it on lock, so that's not happening either. It's Nintendo exclusive for now. If you want to play it, get a 3DS/Wii U. Or wait a few years when it will inevitably come to the Vita.

Yeah right, trying to earn money, then they would rather put it on the PSP, since 3G was underperformed compared to portable 3rd (and if you're gonna argue about the initial install base, then it'd make even less sense for them to put it on a new system).
#37 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Monster Hunter is a system seller.

Yeah right, trying to earn money, then they would rather put it on the PSP, since 3G was underperformed compared to portable 3rd (and if you're gonna argue about the initial install base, then it'd make even less sense for them to put it on a new system).

That's because, and I can't stress this enough, Nintendo moneyhatted the franchise. It didn't matter how much 3G would sell, because Capcom was assured to earn money anyway. That's what happened, Nintendo paid Capcom upfront, Capcom put it on a system with a low install base, the game sold, the system sold, meaning that Monster Hunter 4 on that same system makes even more sense.
#38 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

So 3DS has Pokemon and Monster Hunter while the Vita has ports of PS3 games?

Vita is doomed

#39 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]And Capcom is a business trying to earn money. It won't put Monster Hunter on the Vita out of charity, it will put it there if it makes sense to put it there. It would only make sense to put it there if returns on the investment were ensured, but they are not; outside of that, Sony moneyhatting the franchise is the only other way the investment makes sense financially, but as of right now, Nintendo has it on lock, so that's not happening either. It's Nintendo exclusive for now. If you want to play it, get a 3DS/Wii U. Or wait a few years when it will inevitably come to the Vita.

That's because, and I can't stress this enough, Nintendo moneyhatted the franchise. It didn't matter how much 3G would sell, because Capcom was assured to earn money anyway. That's what happened, Nintendo paid Capcom upfront, Capcom put it on a system with a low install base, the game sold, the system sold, meaning that Monster Hunter 4 on that same system makes even more sense.

So that's the main reason, should have said so since the beginning, instead of all the jabs @ Vita sales.
#40 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Yeah right, trying to earn money, then they would rather put it on the PSP, since 3G was underperformed compared to portable 3rd (and if you're gonna argue about the initial install base, then it'd make even less sense for them to put it on a new system).

So that's the main reason, should have said so since the beginning, instead of all the jabs @ Vita sales.

I've been talking about Nintendo moneyhatting the franchise all along :| You're right, I shouldn't take any more jabs at the Vita's sales. It's almost boring at this point.
#41 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
crapcon... nope, 100% boycott a company selling on disc for extra money after someone pays retail for their game and being happy about it tis tis tis
#42 Posted by lawlessx (46779 posts) -

that must be some contact capcom signed with nintendo..wonder how much they are getting

#43 Posted by raskullibur (3390 posts) -
no wonder vita is not selling... Nintendo buying exclusives LOL
#44 Posted by Zen_Light (1236 posts) -

Cows have the worst sense of reality among all the factions. They're always expecting franchises to be on their systems even when those systems do poorly; expecting Nintendo to go software-only when Sony is the only company in risk of doing that.

#45 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -
I have my WII-u ready and waiting for this game. Yes i'll purchase a system for MH.
#46 Posted by Hoznary (539 posts) -
This sucks :/ Sony needs to do something about this and not just lean on SS even though the demo was great :)... I mean i get why people like the 3ds but i honestly dont care for it and i really dont want to carry around a flashy psp
#47 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -
Capcom - you suck.
#48 Posted by sora16perfect (709 posts) -
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

charizard1605

Link?
#49 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -
The game suits the vita so much more than the 3ds - i can still play it on my 3ds but i would prefer the extra analogue stick
#50 Posted by Hoznary (539 posts) -
The game suits the vita so much more than the 3ds - i can still play it on my 3ds but i would prefer the extra analogue stick joel_c17
... The first six games where released on Sony's console... Why the hell didn't they pay capcom to keep it exclusive to the portable brand? this was when ps2 was the bomb and leading console