Can you win a video games expo with CGI trailer only?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

And what I mean is the main press conference of a company.

Because according to some people here, you can, which I find really absurd. What's more, I don't think it's possible to win a video games expo by showing a game with in-engine (-like) footage with no gameplay either.

@-Damien- said:

While Xbone sales is tanking (77K in May NPD), WiiU is enjoying a renaissance (67K in May NPD) due to MK8. Then Nintendo came out swinging at E3 (although I think Sony still won E3 with Bloodborne) which I think will generate more buzz for WiiU post-E3. Meantime all exclusive rumours for Xbone didn't materialize at E3. Xbone came out limp.

So what are the chances of WiiU outselling Xbone in June? as a playstation gamer, I have to say WiiU starting to look mightily attractive.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Obviously you can. Just show an CGI trailer, say how its related to actual gameplay, put an embargo on reviews till the very day of the release, and profit.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Nintendo won hands down.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

who cares what fanboys think

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

But wasn't the gameplay of Bloodborne shown at E3? I know it wasn't during Sony's E3 conference, but it was still around I believe during E3.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:

But wasn't the gameplay of Bloodborne shown at E3? I know it wasn't during Sony's E3 conference, but it was still around I believe during E3.

it was shown to the media

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries

@lostrib said:

who cares what fanboys think

Obviously sane people who want to analyze how their minds work.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Good thing there was Bloodborne gameplay shown.

And this is a sad thread.

To answer the question, no you can't but I also think you can't "win" a freaking expo.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@Chutebox said:

Good thing there was Bloodborne gameplay shown.

And this is a sad thread.

To answer the question, no you can't but I also think you can't "win" a freaking expo.

You are a sad, sad, trombone :< Like from a Tom Waits album... :(

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: No clue who that is lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

well, just knowing that another Tomb Raider is on its way really made me excited, even though they had nothing to show other than the CGI trailer

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries

A hobo looking songwriter with harsh gravel voice. One of his songs was in Fight Club. Oh he sometimes appears in the movies as well. The last big one for him was Parnassus.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@lostrib
said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

everybody else saw gameplay the same week anyways. may have been a super old build, but people still got hyped.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Never judge a book by its cover.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@lostrib said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

Sidenote: Seems I'm not getting notifications anymore. Charizard and you have quoted me but I haven't got a notification for them. Strange.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

You'd have a better point if we hadn't already seen gameplay footage before e3. Seeing the trailer and getting more info from interviews during the week merely fleshed out the leak we all already knew about. Since that all happened you're really splitting hairs over old news, IMO.

Not that I agree. Bloodborne looks great, but No Man's Sky was my favorite bit of E3. BB gets an honorable mention along with Sunset Overdrive and the new Rainbow Six.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

And what I mean is the main press conference of a company.

Because according to some people here, you can, which I find really absurd. What's more, I don't think it's possible to win a video games expo by showing a game with in-engine (-like) footage with no gameplay either.

@-Damien- said:

While Xbone sales is tanking (77K in May NPD), WiiU is enjoying a renaissance (67K in May NPD) due to MK8. Then Nintendo came out swinging at E3 (although I think Sony still won E3 with Bloodborne) which I think will generate more buzz for WiiU post-E3. Meantime all exclusive rumours for Xbone didn't materialize at E3. Xbone came out limp.

So what are the chances of WiiU outselling Xbone in June? as a playstation gamer, I have to say WiiU starting to look mightily attractive.

nintendo>sony>microsoft at e3, is time to accept it and #dealwithit

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Witcher 3 won best of E3 last year by showing 45 min real time demo . BTW who cares about what mainstream audience think . They don't know sh*t about real stuff and get excited by seeing flashy pre rendered trailer , and next thing that we know is that it is already a graphics king or platform on which it is going to be on already wins entire generation . Meh .

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Shit, gameplay trailers no longer guarantee anything given the recent trend of downgrading at the last minute and them running on PCs masquerading as console footage with button prompts present. I've come to the point I don't take any gameplay footage I see as genuine until it's playing on my TV.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

If it is a trust worthy company such as Sony, or Nintendo proven franchises, then sure.

However, in general, it is better accepted to showing gameplay.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Cows are easily impressed and they'd hype anything so...

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Tell me, what 'CGI' trailers do you speak of TC?

Oh god. Please don't tell you believe Bloodborne's trailer wasn't CG. Specially when there's been gameplay that shows that it doesn't look like that. Unless you mean UC, which i hope you.

As for the thread TC, i have a better question:

can you even win a video game expo? Because from my exprience, "winning" expos is up to each person. As i've said before, i feel Nintendo won. But it actually didn't, because.....they didn't.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@inb4uall said:

Nintendo won hands down.

I agree, especially after they showed more exclusive games after their Direct Feed conference. If they had announced a price cut, that would have pushed them straight to the top. I thought Microsoft and Sony were pretty even. Sony's 30 mins of TV, Stats and other BS pretty much sank them for me.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krelian-co

@MonsieurX said:

like last year halo trailer that only showed master chief and lems were already hyping "teh halo 5" or like 4.0 ryse or like titanfail "teh systam sellar!!!!"?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Krelian-co

@sts106mat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@MonsieurX said:

like last year halo trailer that only showed master chief and lems were already hyping "teh halo 5" or like 4.0 ryse or like titanfail "teh systam sellar!!!!"?

Main series Halo games always meet the hype.

Ryse / Titanfall / Bloodborne, all unproven new IP's

not the point, the point is lems or cows will hype anything on their system but the good old lem monsiur (oh wait, he's another i'm not a lem) acts as if only cows did it, well double standards ftw what to expect from lems.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

No, and you also can't win with a game that was already announced/leaked unless you show off some amazing looking gameplay of it.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

And I LoLed

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

There was bloodborne gameplay shown as well.. How about the confirmation that the game existed when many lems refused to believe the leaks. The damage control for the game has been off the charts since the initial leak. You lems are absurd. Also, the conferences aren't part of the expo

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It depends of the anticipation. If The Elder Scrolls VI or Red Dead Redemption 2 were announced at E3 with just a CGI trailer, they would automatically win the expo to me.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Krelian-co

@sts106mat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@sts106mat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@MonsieurX said:

not the point, the point is lems or cows will hype anything on their system but the good old lem monsiur (oh wait, he's another i'm not a lem) acts as if only cows did it, well double standards ftw what to expect from lems.

I both agree and disagree. lems will hype stuff, of course, everyone does. But Cows will literally hype anything up and sometimes it blows up spectacularly. I am going way back now but games like Killzone, Lair, Haze, etc. there have been many others GT5, PSABR etc etc

But then Cows have a right to because they've had some massive hits with games like UC and TLOU.

Monsieurx is probably remembering how much lems were enjoying XBLA games for years with cows laughing and saying "they don't count" or "lol XBLA". Then of course when Journey hit, it was the best thing ever and now Indie games are all of a sudden awesome.

I am super excited to play TLOU, Order 1886 aswell as No Mans Sky and a few others, but Bloodborne.....not seen enough to even pique my interest a little.

A CGI trailer for a new IP (no matter who it's made by) isn't enough to get me anywhere close to fever pitch levels of excitement.

well i love souls series an i have faith in from software, that's enough to get me excited at least.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Its funny when sheeps talking about CGI being crap and cutscenes being crap and this and that .... then they literally shit their pants with ...an ingame scripted cutscene of Zelda Wii U .... This hypocrisy little sheeps having is out of this world.

Anyways. Bloodborne did show gameplay in E3 , end of story...Except if you think E3 are only some conferences and nothing else , then ...QQ !

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

After the Watch Dogs fiasco.. does it really matter what they show?

..you still might get a shit product.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

ITT: Lemmings mad that PS4 is getting Bloodborne.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I think it depends on the state of things. Generally I'd say no, but isn't bloodborne being done by respected people?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

In the eyes of cows you can win anything based on the over bloated hype. Cows will believe whatever Sony tells them. Sad really.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Cloud_imperium:

That demo actually was a turn off for me. I do think the series is one of the best out there, with an amazing development team, but it didn't look all that impressive.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@sts106mat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@MonsieurX said:

I both agree and disagree. lems will hype stuff, of course, everyone does. But Cows will literally hype anything up and sometimes it blows up spectacularly. I am going way back now but games like Killzone, Lair, Haze, etc. there have been many others GT5, PSABR etc etc

But then Cows have a right to because they've had some massive hits with games like UC and TLOU.

Everybody on this board knows deep down in their hearts that cows hype indiscriminately. And like you said, sometimes they hype killer games (UC2, Demon's Souls, TLOU) because they literally hype everything. Part of me is convinced that cows would hype Big Rigs if it was a PS4 exclusive.

Not to say that lemmings are super careful with their hyping: after all, these are the people who hyped Ryse. But there is no hypetrain like a cow hypetrain.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Nintendo won hands down.

This, but cows think Sony win everything by default.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Well Skyrim won game of the year while in beta form, so I would say the industry is well within the range of stupidity needed to award a CGI trailer as the winner.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@lamprey263: Exactly. Game announcements like Tomb Raider 2 and Uncharted 4 are there to get fans excited for the future of gaming. This is what E3 is about; showing off new stuff and creating excitement.

There aren't really winners for expos. There is excitement and disappointment. That's all. This last E3, there weren't any disappointed camps.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Ah, a Salt_The _Butthurt thread. Right on schedule.

Riddle me this, riddle me that, where was this outrage when Quantum Break was shown off?